Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bull3964 posted:

I love that the adult swim app has a marathon of VB running 24/7. I've been falling asleep to random episodes for over a year now.

They should rename it the Venture Industries Hypnobed (Wireless Edition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
St. Cloud sucks and is the worst character on the show besides Molotov

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
St Cloud is a tricky case where his deal is being a character who is thoroughly unpleasant and he succeeds too well. He works a lot better as the butt of the joke, with Level 1 antagonism being a glorified prank war, and getting his rear end kicked by Billy's mom.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

They're doing a better job with him than they did with the Moppets.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

All this season chat has me rewatching 4 and goddamn. What a season.

I was just watching the ending :allears:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AS is still playing them and I caught Red Means Stop again. A disappointing season ender, but a great episode.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

St Cloud is a tricky case where his deal is being a character who is thoroughly unpleasant and he succeeds too well. He works a lot better as the butt of the joke, with Level 1 antagonism being a glorified prank war, and getting his rear end kicked by Billy's mom.

My new favorite joke on my latest rewatch:

"Come in Brock, we have a level 1 threat incoming..."
"So? You want an aspirin or something?"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Brocks utter boredom through the whole season capped off with his gleeful terrorizing of the blackout team is worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that bugged me about the episode is that Broc and Doc were reminiscing about lvl 1 shenanigans while dressing White and Billy in costumes.

But this is a thing Doc has never been nor shown a proclivity for being the costumed protagonist. The arch poo poo has always been an annoyance to him that he felt he didn't opt into, so the whole walk down memory lane stuff felt a bit false.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

The thing that bugged me about the episode is that Broc and Doc were reminiscing about lvl 1 shenanigans while dressing White and Billy in costumes.

But this is a thing Doc has never been nor shown a proclivity for being the costumed protagonist. The arch poo poo has always been an annoyance to him that he felt he didn't opt into, so the whole walk down memory lane stuff felt a bit false.

Even if you hated something at the time, that doesn't mean you can't look back and laugh about it

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Wasn't most of their laughter about how pitiful their level 1 antagonists were, rather than how much they enjoyed being arched?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was just the whole "we have to dress them properly for their first arch" thing as if it was something Rusty had experience with. Neither he nor his dad really did that stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Moppets struck me as part of Dr Mrs The Monarch's general deal in that they're deliberately part of a poorly thought-out gimmick, since for all her skills and general competence she doesn't have the imagination or passion to work well as a solo villain, and the Guild's red tape and dearth of good ideas relating to female villaisn doesn't help.. She works well supporting the Monarch and even better on the Council, since she's actually a competent, responsible person, which is what the Guild desperately needs.

She's pretty interesting in that she's always wanted to be part of the Guild but struggled with both sexism and her abilities lending themselves more to support roles- but of course, being a leader and administrator is a support role, when you do it right. She's worked with villains long enough to understand them well and know what they want and what they need, and dealt with both sides of the equation enough to be able to effectively mediate. All she needed was the opportunity and for people to give her a chance, if out of necessity because they needed someone remotely responsible. (Dr Henry Killinger def knows his stuff) A big part of the post-Gargantua 2 arcs is the Guild rebuilding by bringing on people who want to be Council members and can handle the responsibility; Phantom Limb turns out to be quite cooperative when he's receiving the respect he feels he deserves, and Red Death does surprisingly well in a position of authority given how respected he is and that he's aware that indulging his desires requires responsibility.

And on Rusty's note, I get the impression from this season that at least on some level, he's embraced that costumed antagonism is always going to be part of his life, and that he has a talent for it, especially since he seems to do a remarkably good job updating the Treaty of Tolerance. Mentoring Billy and Pete seems to be the best of both worlds for him, as he gets to vicariously live through the relatively harmless satisfaction of Level 1 arching without actually having to deal with the consequences.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got the sense with things like them laughing over the mustache flashback that there was a time Doc and Brock did entertain this nonsense, but that it's now long behind them. Brock probably enjoyed the opportunity to kick a lot of guys asses and Doc probably enjoyed winning for once. I can see them entertaining the whole thing until the novelty wore off after the 20th consecutive arch in as many weeks.

And while I had some issue with the moppets the first time around, I love them now. In season 4 you really got the sense that their loyalty was to Sheila and Sheila alone, and that she used them to help maintain some sense of autonomy from Malcolm and oftentimes subvert his "authority." They're creeps but they're her creeps, and represent her last bit of independence as a supervillain. It's just a great layer to their relationship and hosed up dynamic.

I really hope season 8 is Sheila's season because it felt like they dropped the ball with her in 7 and made her way weaker and less competent than she had been before. I get why they did it but I don't think they pulled off what they were going for. That or I just want the whole season to be about Orpheus. Everything Orpheus and Triad all the time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 17, 2020

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Have we ever gotten a taste of what Level 1 looked like for Doc?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pershing posted:

I always thought that was odd he started with all of Jonas's stuff shouldn't he have been at least a 4 or a 5?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You can't just toss a first-time swimmer into the deep end.

Pershing posted:

I can see it being fun for him for a while. Like, his childhood was filled with the incredibly traumatic version of the same thing, but being able to confront that in the absolute low-stakes silliness of a level 1 arch could be weirdly therapeutic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's shown in the codification of the EMA system (not its first mention notably; one of the issues called out when 21 recruited a bunch of gang bangers with pistols is that they were using weaponry above their level) that Rusty was literally right there in the event that set off the codification of explicit levels of aggression. Also says something that using a standard pistol is considered Level 6, above average, and in his first appearance as Rusty's new arch Sgt Hatred seriously considers downgrading to Airsoft or even Nerf guns.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pershing posted:

I'm going to guess Turnbuckle was basically a level 1 before the levels existed. Guy didn't even show up with a gun, just boxing gloves.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's shown in the codification of the EMA system (not its first mention notably; one of the issues called out when 21 recruited a bunch of gang bangers with pistols is that they were using weaponry above their level) that Rusty was literally right there in the event that set off the codification of explicit levels of aggression. Also says something that using a standard pistol is considered Level 6, above average, and in his first appearance as Rusty's new arch Sgt Hatred seriously considers downgrading to Airsoft or even Nerf guns.

I think he always had airsoft the first you hear him comment on them is "nix the nonlethal we're going all nerf on this one!" It's a great line.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So what was the whole deal with the Peril Partnership? That sort of fell off a cliff and went nowhere in a hurry. Bad writing or did I miss something?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

So what was the whole deal with the Peril Partnership? That sort of fell off a cliff and went nowhere in a hurry. Bad writing or did I miss something?

The rouge elements leader died in the most dangerous game and with the big trump card taken out they folded.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Right, with the weather machine and whatnot. That just seemed so anti climatic to me for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IUG posted:

I'm going to guess Turnbuckle was basically a level 1 before the levels existed. Guy didn't even show up with a gun, just boxing gloves.

Turnbuckle was at least muscular mind, I get the impression if actual guns are above average, he might at least be 2 or 3.

Did find it interesting and morbidly funny that the lightning gun the Monarch sold to St Cloud (he believed it was a level 1 rated, actually level 6, iirc) is basically a M16 painted blue with a battery pack instead of a cartridge, presumably built assuming most minions of that level are ex-military.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Warbird posted:

Right, with the weather machine and whatnot. That just seemed so anti climatic to me for some reason.

Idk a weather machine seems very climatic to me

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Turnbuckle was at least muscular mind, I get the impression if actual guns are above average, he might at least be 2 or 3.

Did find it interesting and morbidly funny that the lightning gun the Monarch sold to St Cloud (he believed it was a level 1 rated, actually level 6, iirc) is basically a M16 painted blue with a battery pack instead of a cartridge, presumably built assuming most minions of that level are ex-military.

Might also be a reference to the old joke about the original M16s being made by Mattel. (The hangrips actually were, and even had the Mattel logo, so of course people decid that meant the whole gun must have been made by Mattel instead of Colt/Armalite.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My memory is a bit lovely but the extent of the Partnership was a series of PP on your belt jokes, Red Death killing the poo poo out of some rando tough guys, and then the big bad leading things just being some guy on some island the meet and kill within a few minutes. It just seemed like they were initially going to be a bigger deal and it all got written out fairly quickly. I could be misremembering though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Idk a weather machine seems very climatic to me

Booooo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Warbird posted:

My memory is a bit lovely but the extent of the Partnership was a series of PP on your belt jokes, Red Death killing the poo poo out of some rando tough guys, and then the big bad leading things just being some guy on some island the meet and kill within a few minutes. It just seemed like they were initially going to be a bigger deal and it all got written out fairly quickly. I could be misremembering though.

There was that secret meeting of good guys and bad guys there's a shark guy that has a beef with Brock. He says he reps the peril partnership before lunging and Brock and getting killed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Also all the stuff with the guild stranger getting flipped and his memory wiped. The Peril Partnership basically existed to fill the role the GCI did in seasons 1-5 now that the Monarch is basically a protagonist of the show. And, you know. A venture brother.

S7 is more about the Monarch than Rusty and I really like that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

S7 is more about the Monarch than Rusty and I really like that.

Big "I told you that story so I could tell you this one" vibes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

pixaal posted:

There was that secret meeting of good guys and bad guys there's a shark guy that has a beef with Brock. He says he reps the peril partnership before lunging and Brock and getting killed.

Tiger Shark, he just gets knocked out as he shows up later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deathlove posted:

Big "I told you that story so I could tell you this one" vibes.

I don’t quite follow.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Any Which Way but Zeus is one of the best episodes. For some reason Hunter's delivery of "We gotta get off the green, it's about to get weird," kills me every time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

qirex posted:

Any Which Way but Zeus is one of the best episodes. For some reason Hunter's delivery of "We gotta get off the green, it's about to get weird," kills me every time.

“It’s like a coke commercial with more tights!”

And it has the Brock/Hunter stripperchat, so it’s automatically the best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Mission Creep was meant to be the Peril Partnership version of Phantom Limb, but never managed to recover from going crazy. Every supervillain group eventually has the one who goes completely out of control.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bust Rodd posted:

St. Cloud sucks and is the worst character on the show besides Molotov

eat the pennies, bust rodd

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pretty sure we haven't seen the last of Blind Rage. He's probably got enough of a mad-on to pick up where Mission Creep left off.

...you know,. provided he didn't get run over by that train.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure we haven't seen the last of Blind Rage. He's probably got enough of a mad-on to pick up where Mission Creep left off.

...you know,. provided he didn't get run over by that train.

That’s the one thing I didn’t like two much about season 7, they left themselves obvious plot hooks and it won’t be as fun if they pick those up. Compare “is he dead or isn’t he?” to the Blue Morpho coming from The Monarch’s throwaway origin stuff in S1. I liked the way they finagled continuity into things that weren’t intended to have it, it somehow felt more natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s the one thing I didn’t like two much about season 7, they left themselves obvious plot hooks and it won’t be as fun if they pick those up. Compare “is he dead or isn’t he?” to the Blue Morpho coming from The Monarch’s throwaway origin stuff in S1. I liked the way they finagled continuity into things that weren’t intended to have it, it somehow felt more natural.

Yet this show never truly throws anything away. They use the whole buffalo. See: Zero, Venturestein, and the change of Mr. "Oooh, girly mags" into St. Cloud.

Possstituuuuuut!