Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Like I said.

I'm actually gonna suggest doing that instead, just because it's less effort, but as far as I've been able to find out catching coronavirus from a surface is, while theoretically possible in the strictest sense of the word, a complete non-issue in practical terms, so any special handling at all is a waste of ressources (mental load, time, disinfectant that could be used elsewhere, what have you). We're a university, we shouldn't jump to performative measures and ignore science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna lick all the books

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I've been working through and thoroughly enjoying this thread over the past week or so. I guess I have a few random anecdotes to add.

When I was growing up, my dad would contract out to the local library to do their VHS repair, since they didn't have their own person for that. When I was 16 he trained me up and I did a few batches. It was mostly just getting rid of some chewed up tape at the beginning and splicing the good tape back to the start. But one fun case was that of a documentary about Kandinsky. The tape came in with a report of a "sound problem". Now, it could happen that one edge of the tape gets chewed up, and this nukes the audio. This tape looked physically fine.

So I stuck the tape in our VHS player and watched about 45 minutes of it. The audio was indeed weird, fading in and out almost at random. Eventually, I realised that there were three separate soundtracks, each with their own narrator. These three soundtracks faded in and out, sometimes all playing on top of each other. I sent the tape back with a note something to the effect of "Tape undamaged. Audio appears to be a creative decision."

It would've been great if those creators could've thought of the poor video tape repair people at public libraries, but hey.

Fake edit: I've found the documentary: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2coke0

The effect is subtle, but the narration often just fades out, and there are all kind of weird background noises going too.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm gonna lick all the books

I always give a good snog to the authors bio in all the books I enjoy reading, personal collection and library loans alike

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I've been working through and thoroughly enjoying this thread over the past week or so. I guess I have a few random anecdotes to add.

[snip]

Fake edit: I've found the documentary: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2coke0

The effect is subtle, but the narration often just fades out, and there are all kind of weird background noises going too.

As someone who has spliced/re-shelled many a VHS tape in her day, I absolutely love that story, thanks! I started watching the documentary, and at first I didn't notice it, but I could see someone getting a bit confused around the 16 minute mark.

Yeah, weren't some of those patron notes about the problem the best? (I love your reply, btw!)

'Tape doesn't work' --- on a twelve-cassette Stephen King audiobook. WHICH tape, you jackass?! I don't have time to listen to all 26 hours of this. (Later, this would be 'disc skips" on a 12 CD audiobook)

"Bad" --- well, you're the one checking out this hot garbage by Patricia Cornwell, not my fault you have terrible taste (I did take my job seriously, and would check to see if there was a flaw, but just seeing "bad" was always hilarious to me for that reason)

"all discs skipped in my car' --- have you considered that your car CD player sucks, since this got checked out 48 times before you with no complaint, but now every single one shows signs of circular scuffing from your poo poo-rear end player scraping the disc every time you hit a bump in the road?

Same for "all tapes are warped" --- you muthafucka, I know you left this sitting in the sun in your car, I know a heat-damaged cassette when I see one.

Top of the list were the angry patrons demanding I not only fix the tape, but their VCR full of chewed up tape. It was always, always, a Disney/kids' tape. Yes, I'm sure your child had nothing to do with palm-slapping that copy of Bob the Builder into your VCR every morning 37 times a day until they hosed it up. Especially when it seems to have what I really hope is just peanut butter inside of it.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 15, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plans have progressed to cleaning and quarantining our returned items and I'm seriously pondering if it's worth raising a big fuss about or if this is just me being ornery.

We might as well exorcise them while we're at it, and I might.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I can lick some books for you, if you're still planning on it. :)

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Same for "all tapes are warped" --- you muthafucka, I know you left this sitting in the sun in your car, I know a heat-damaged cassette when I see one.

The local library in the town where I grew up had a copy of "The Princess Bride" which had been left in a hot car on display at the front counter as a sort of "don't do this" message.
I'm not kidding when I say the ENTIRE VHS was warped.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did this take a dump in anyone else's brain when they were five?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DzzPDnIKtQ

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The local library in the town where I grew up had a copy of "The Princess Bride" which had been left in a hot car on display at the front counter as a sort of "don't do this" message.
I'm not kidding when I say the ENTIRE VHS was warped.

Showing my age yet again, but the library I went to as a kid did that but with a 12" LP. at the circ desk, same cautionary note and all. Thing was so warped you could've used it as a salad bowl.

edit:

Halloween Jack posted:

Given our current circumstances, that was 18 minutes of pure-strain WTF :stare: :psyduck: :lmao:

One minute, you got the very real horror of everyone wearing masks and civilization collapsing. Next minute, I'm laughing my rear end off over a library still using card catalogs in the 22nd century, and this idiot Margaret who works in the incredibly important job of preserving humanity's culture, yet doesn't know the alphabet, let alone how to find a fiction book. (That one is personally hysterical, because both my circ manager and her second in command were named Margaret.)

There are apparently 13 episodes of this.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 17, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I use the King County Library system and Hoopla and Overdrive are fantastic. I've been enjoying Hoopla's ridiculous archive of top tier comics (finally getting around to Sandman and Hellboy) that are easy to read on a tablet, and Overdrive has a great collection of audiobooks.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Overdrive is wonnnnderful.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Back in the mid 00's I borrowed a wrestling tape from the library. I can't remember which show it was. I remember watching the main event and then it abruptly switched over to a spongebob video game. Somebody recorded over the end of the show with them playing some spongebob video game. The librarian was really confused when I told her that as I returned it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I use the King County Library system and Hoopla and Overdrive are fantastic. I've been enjoying Hoopla's ridiculous archive of top tier comics (finally getting around to Sandman and Hellboy) that are easy to read on a tablet, and Overdrive has a great collection of audiobooks.

I don't live in King County any more, but I'm still grateful to them. Something like 13-14 years ago, I was wandering through my local library and noticed they had Vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. I'd heard of it, but never read it before, and the Absolute edition made it a hell of a dramatic book to check out. From Wikipedia:

fake edit: Actually, looking at release dates, it must've just come out when I picked it up. Cool. I never realized that Sandman's Absolute series hadn't finished coming out when I started reading it.

actual edit: What I'm saying here is that public libraries are good and I like them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One minute, you got the very real horror of everyone wearing masks and civilization collapsing. Next minute, I'm laughing my rear end off over a library still using card catalogs in the 22nd century, and this idiot Margaret who works in the incredibly important job of preserving humanity's culture, yet doesn't know the alphabet, let alone how to find a fiction book. (That one is personally hysterical, because both my circ manager and her second in command were named Margaret.)

There are apparently 13 episodes of this.
The first episode isn't even particularly crazy. Eventually, the wizard gives them a cryptic clue which, when decoded and researched, reveals that the alien invaders have an intense superstitious fear of horses and can be scared off with a horse. That's how they defeat their evil intergalactic empire, by showing them a horse.

Years ago, I would suddenly remember stuff like this, and wonder if I just dreamed it. The people delving into it were goofy personal sites like Seanbaby's. Now I can find it all on YouTube. The other one that immediately comes to mind is a regional kids' show called Mrs. Cabobble's Caboose. PBS sells a DVD collection.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We all know the right way to blend fantasy with libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh hell yeah. I remember it being pretty out there back then. I was absolutely enthralled. I can't wait to see how crazy it looks now.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

We all know the right way to blend fantasy with libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

I was always fond of this (and had it printed out at my desk):

And this was one of the first things that made me say, "y'know, maybe I should sign up for these here Something Awful dot com forums, they seem funny and cool"

(That got printed out, too, but thanks to language, had to be hidden deep in the recesses of the Youth Services office cubicles)

Halloween Jack posted:

That's how they defeat their evil intergalactic empire, by showing them a horse.

Poor A(lie)nts, thought of Freckles and died

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 19, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vavrek posted:

I don't live in King County any more, but I'm still grateful to them. Something like 13-14 years ago, I was wandering through my local library and noticed they had Vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. I'd heard of it, but never read it before, and the Absolute edition made it a hell of a dramatic book to check out. From Wikipedia:

fake edit: Actually, looking at release dates, it must've just come out when I picked it up. Cool. I never realized that Sandman's Absolute series hadn't finished coming out when I started reading it.

actual edit: What I'm saying here is that public libraries are good and I like them.
Whenever I go to a public library I check if they have Sandman and if they have Watchmen. They usually have at least a few volumes of Sandman, they rarely have Watchmen. Comics sections are a crapshoot over here though, both in terms of whether there is one and what's in it. Usually just a few stragglers, some more or less random superhero TPBs, and an inexplicable full deluxe hardcover collection of something no one's ever heard of that has nonetheless been running for 23 volumes, which is never the same from library to library.

Told a friend about our book disinfection plans and he came up with the helpful suggestion of boiling them.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 19, 2020

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I can tell you from the experience that if a book goes missing often enough it'll stop being replaced. The last place I worked, we stopped buying certain comic and manga series because they kept walking off. I know transmetropolitan was one of them but I am not sure if watchmen made that list.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Told a friend about our book disinfection plans and he came up with the helpful suggestion of boiling them.

How much does an autoclave cost?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Book disinfection: nope.

The library system I'm about to move to is doing online checkouts with curbside pickup. No returns.

I'm super hyped about it but they're going to lose a LOT of books :(

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

MisterOblivious posted:

Book disinfection: nope.

The library system I'm about to move to is doing online checkouts with curbside pickup. No returns.

I'm super hyped about it but they're going to lose a LOT of books :(

... no returns? What?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

... no returns? What?

Everything must go!!!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

... no returns? What?

Returned books are COVID vectors.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

But...they really aren't...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If our policy had a flaw, that would be it!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I’m fairly certain COVID lives on surfaces for a few days?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Under lab conditions, it can be present on certain surfaces after up to three days. But lab conditions aren't real world conditions, present doesn't mean still infectious, it dries out on some surfaces faster than others, and the three days are a maximum.

The state of research in that area, as far as I'm aware, is that potential infection by touching a surface is a non-issue, unless you're specifically dealing with a surface that gets touched by many people in a short amount of time. Otherwise, the chance you'll touch a surface that has been touched by someone infected, who was actually leaving viruses, recently enough for those viruses to still be infectious, and that you then infect yourself with the viruses you picked up, is so small that specific countermeasures are just disproportionate. It could conceivably be spread this way, in that no step in the chain is impossible, but according to researchers it just isn't - if it was, we'd have seen it reflected in much higher infection numbers.

You can wipe down doorknobs or elevator buttons and stuff, they get fingered by hundreds each day - it's only very slightly more of an actual risk but it also takes two minutes and you might as well. Wiping down the outside of every single book that is handled by three or four people on one single day, will probably stay on a shelf for days anyway, and if anything is more likely to have a virus on the inside, is just overkill.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 20, 2020

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sounds like an overreaction. germs arent atomz (and atomz arent some metaphysical infection that infects the very matter itself and is imposible to remove unless a magical ritual is done)

like have they thought of using dry heat to disinfect them? like get a small enclosed space and a space heat and make the books experience a desert heat wave for a few hours or a day.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 20, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Just don't lick the patron and then swallow the book whole.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

our carrels have floor-to-ceiling southwest windows and no air con, give this spring thing a few more weeks and we wouldn't even need a space heater

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Remember this library?

Powered Descent posted:

Found a few more picture's of Cornell's new hell library for the thread's enjoyment.

Yeah, the floor gratings are pretty dang open.

I know someone with acrophobia who can't handle the kind of stairs that have an open space between the steps where a vertical riser normally goes, because they cause her to lose her sense of being on solid ground. This would be absolutely paralyzing.
[snip]

In a twist of fate, it's the perfect library for pandemics. The open grating allows heat to flow through easily. Just crank up the thermostat to 10,000 degrees celsius, set a timer for like, three days? And everything inside will be thoroughly sterilized! Genius!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Final word: we quarantine returned books for three days, but we don't clean them.

Someone from the design department came by to see how we handle things, because they lend out cameras and equipment, asked me if we cleaned stuff, and I told him we quarantined books, had been thinking about cleaning them, "but you probably don't even need to bother." I'll die on this hill (from coronavirus).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powered Descent posted:

Found a few more picture's of Cornell's new hell library for the thread's enjoyment.

Yeah, the floor gratings are pretty dang open.

Is ... is anyone else triggered by how untidily those books are shelved?

I mean, leaving aside the horrific architecture, have they not heard of movable bookends?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm not convinced they've heard of libraries.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is ... is anyone else triggered by how untidily those books are shelved?

I mean, leaving aside the horrific architecture, have they not heard of movable bookends?

Yeah, that does make the old shelver in me itchy to "scrunch", now that you pointed it out.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I'm not convinced they've heard of libraries.

Ha! Also, just wanted to say your username gave me a good chuckle this morning. I do love me a clever username.

edit:
Also: My Lovely Horse, glad someone finally came to their senses about your return/handling policy. Coming from a public library perspective, I'm shuddering over the thought of what it'd be like, futilely trying to sanitize 56 kajillion returns a day.

My old library is still closed; the ones around where I live now are... sporadic. Some branches are totally closed; some have limited schedules like only being open M-W-F for like 4 hours a day. I had applications out about 2 months ago for both the city and the county branches because I saw the writing on the wall as far as me working in the restaurant biz, and they only just got back to me a week ago with a boilerplate "thanks for your application; at this time, we're on a hiring freeze" email. Yeah, thanks guys, kinda figured on that one since our governor said "screw it, the whole state's closed until 6/10, at least."

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 22, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-52412655

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ha, I saw this a few hours ago was gonna post it here.

TRIGGER WARNING: shelvers/circ staff gonna break out in hives from this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pfft they're still on the right shelf nbd