Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjEPXkwb2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDkLUT6BaeE

Holy moly! Streets of Rage is back! The sequel to the beloved Techno dance albums that also happens to be a rad beat-em-up side scrolling video games is finally going to release soon! It’s coming out this month in a couple weeks! Will be available on all platforms!

Streets of Rage was a very popular Beat-em Up series on the Sega Genesis spanning three games from 1991 to 1994, it immediately gained a cult status as one of the best beat-em ups ever thanks to it’s stunning music, cool fighting and super power moves, and overall rad aesthetic. It's one of my favorite games of all time! There were several attempts to re-starting it, including a Cancelled dreamcast game, a fan-made MMO online game that was forcibly taken down by Sega, and a chinese fighting game called 'Dong Dong Never Dies' that teased it as a hidden ending. But the series has been officially dormant for 26 years. But now it’s back! Developed by the French team Lizardcube, GameCrush and DotEmu who were previously responsible for the WonderBoy and the dragons trap reboot! This time they’ve gone all out in making the game true to it’s roots and brought back the original composers as well as new ones, created a beautiful hand-drawn aesthetic and this game looks really cool!

Reveal Trailer:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bgPefCyfA

Character Trailers:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRxd-YxkZmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLqnZVBx0vQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-XZxKB6wI

Features:-

Hand Drawn exciting Graphics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JewWPjLv4Xw

Four-Player Co-op!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViTRVOKQ-zM

loving amazing music from both the old musicians and the latest and greatest in retro-wave artists!

https://youtu.be/vZ6sa88CLm4

Retro Mode where you can play all the old characters in their old sprites and all the classic tracks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPjX6t76J0Q

Will be released in a couple weeks, the leaked release date said APRIL 26 2020, so it’s safe to assume it’ll be out around then.

Limited Physical Run!

Also, if any of you want to purchase it Limited Run physical, it’s currently on offer with nice collectors editions and stuff, so you can purchase it here if you’re into that!
https://limitedrungames.com/collections/streets-of-rage-4

Super Excited! What do you guys think of it? any fond memories of the old games? I cant wait to get lost in the music and beat up Mr. X's Goons! I hope this game lives up to the hype!

Also, Check out this Rap Album Mashup done by 2Mello!:-
https://2mellomakes.bandcamp.com/album/streets-of-resistance

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So what’s this Streets of rage business?

Overall Videos:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0lrUnA3X3g
https://youtu.be/6QIsnpVpEIo

STREETS OF RAGE

LongPlay Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrVMYd7MUzM

Wikipedia posted:

Three games in the series were released between 1991 and 1994. The first entry, Streets of Rage, introduces the four main characters, three young former police officers known as Axel, Blaze, and Adam, and Mr. X, an evil mastermind. It is the only game in the series to feature a Shinobi-style special attack that defeats all non-boss enemies on-screen. Streets of Rage was supported by Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis, Master System and Game Gear consoles.

The once peaceful city has been taken over by a criminal syndicate, including factions of the police. Mass violence is now common and no one is safe. Adam Hunter (an accomplished boxer), Axel Stone (skilled martial artist) and Blaze Fielding (judo expert) are young ex-police officers who have quit the force to fight back against the syndicate.

Depending on whether the game is played as one-player or a two-player co-op, and whether the player accepts or rejects Mr. X's offer to join his henchmen, there is a possibility for an alternate ending where the player becomes the new head of the crime syndicate.

STREETS OF RAGE 2

LongPlay:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fd5wRZ7hP8

Wikipedia posted:

Like the previous game, Streets of Rage 2 is a side-scrolling beat-em-up in which one or two players fight against waves of enemies while picking up weapons and items along the way. Along with returning characters Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding, the game introduces two new characters; Max Thunder, a slow-moving but powerful wrestler, and Sammy "Skate" Hunter, the brother of previous game's Adam Hunter who can move around quickly with his rollerblades. In addition to standard attacks, which have been expanded from the previous game, each character can perform a unique Blitz Attack by double tapping a direction before attacking. Replacing the police car attack from the previous game, each character can perform Special Attacks which can deal extra damage or attack enemies from all directions at the cost of the player's health. Along with the main campaign, two players can also fight against each other in the game's Duel mode.[3]

One year has passed since the events of Streets of Rage. To celebrate the defeat of the mysterious Mr. X and his criminal organization, The Syndicate, the trio of Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding had met at their favorite nightspot in the city, reminiscing about both their vigilante crusade and triumphant victory from within the previous year. Axel and Blaze had moved out of the city after the adventure, with Axel working as a part-time bodyguard and Blaze teaching dance classes. Adam has since rejoined the police force and lives in a small house with his younger brother, Eddie "Skate" Hunter.

The next afternoon, Blaze had received an unexpected yet emergency phone call from Skate, who had informed her that upon arriving at home from school, Skate was shocked to find his house in ruin and his older brother missing. Attached to the front door was a picture of Adam chained to a wall at the feet of Mr. X. The criminals began to retake the streets once more, as beatings and looting took place regularly and in broad daylight; chaos reigned in the city, far worse than before. Realizing that Mr. X and The Syndicate have returned for revenge against them and the city, Blaze wastes no time in informing Axel about the unexpected situation, with Axel himself personally vowing to help Blaze out in defeating Mr. X and rescuing Adam. From within the preparation of their upcoming second battle against Mr. X and The Syndicate, Blaze and Axel are soon joined by Skate, who wishes to help out in rescuing and saving his older brother Adam and Axel's friend, a professional wrestler named Max Thunder who also seeks to help aid Axel and Blaze out as well in rescuing and saving their kidnapped friend.

The quartet soon embarks on a rescue mission, which will take them from the city all the way to Mr. X's hideout on a desolate island, where they will eventually face Mr. X and his bodyguard Shiva. Unlike the other two games in the series, Streets of Rage 2 has only one ending, where Mr. X is defeated and Adam is rescued, after which the heroes leave in a helicopter.

STREETS OF RAGE 3

LongPlay:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUv7fhSRO7g

Wikipedia posted:

Much like the previous two games, Streets of Rage 3 is a side-scrolling beat 'em up in which up to two players fight against waves of enemies. Players can choose from returning characters Axel, Blaze, and Skate, along with a new character named Dr. Zan, a robot who automatically converts every weapon picked up into a ball of energy. By fulfilling certain conditions, two bonus characters, Shiva and Roo, can be unlocked for play, with a third unlockable character, Ash, being exclusive to the Japanese release.

after being defeated twice, Syndicate crime boss Mr. X has started a research company called RoboCy Corporation to act as a cover for his illegal activities. The world's best roboticist, Dr. Dahm, has been brought in to help him create an army of realistic robots to replace important officials from the city. With the replacements in place, Mr. X plans to run the city using a remote control device. His criminal organization, The Syndicate, has strategically placed bombs around the city to distract the police while the city officials are dealt with.

Dr. Zan discovers what the research is really for and knows the Syndicate must be stopped. He contacts Blaze Fielding with the details of The Syndicate's plan. Blaze quickly contacts her old comrades Axel Stone and Adam Hunter for a task force to bring down The Syndicate once and for all. Axel quickly joins the task force, but Adam cannot make it (due to his own assignments from within the police) and sends his young brother, Eddie "Skate" Hunter instead. The game has four endings depending on the difficulty level and if the player defeats certain levels in an allotted amount of time.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 11, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hell yeah! This is extremely my poo poo!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Hell yeah! This is extremely my poo poo!

Haha yeah, I really like what they’ve done with the art style, I’m super glad they brought back the music team because god drat that sound track is the loving coolest.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

:siren: :siren: RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED!! :siren: :siren:

Game is set to be released on

APRIL 30, 2020!

SO HYPED!

here's the release date Announcement trailer:-

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1251133307988869128?s=20

Here's a clip of the retro graphics characters:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rga1vqmSBEo

:slick: Cant wait for this game!! :slick:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Humble hosed up (big surprise there), and sent me an e-mail telling me this game was on sale. The price listed was $24.99, with a sale price of $22.49. 2 whole dollars off! Of course, when I went to the website, it still just said Coming Soon! with no price.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mindblowing how much love and attention to detail was put into this, from the additional characters to the incredible roster of composers that were recruited for this, Yuzo Koshiro included. SOR2 is still one of my all time favorite games that I own on every conceivable console alongside OutRun so I'm extremely excited to finally play this. With this and Ninja Warriors back, all we need is for the copyrights to allow TMNT 4 to come back and we have the holy trinity.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Streets of Rage is the only time I will cheer at a police shooting a ne'er-do-well with a bazooka

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

mindblowing how much love and attention to detail was put into this, from the additional characters to the incredible roster of composers that were recruited for this, Yuzo Koshiro included. SOR2 is still one of my all time favorite games that I own on every conceivable console alongside OutRun so I'm extremely excited to finally play this. With this and Ninja Warriors back, all we need is for the copyrights to allow TMNT 4 to come back and we have the holy trinity.

Yeah the team at Lizardcube are INSANELY talented and really have done great justice to the re-makes that they've worked on, they've really pulled out all the stops for this one which is why I'm super excited for it. SoR rules dude loool.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ordered the Limited Run Games version so I look forward to playing this in November.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I ordered the Limited Run Games version so I look forward to playing this in November.

LOL we'll be sure to let you know how it is!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

deep dish peat moss posted:

Streets of Rage is the only time I will cheer at a police shooting a ne'er-do-well with a bazooka

Only trust your fists.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am tentatively excited for this game (long wall of text incoming).

My list of most important games in my life goes like this:

1) Super Mario 1, 2, 3, World (yes they all count as one game, this is my list dammit)
2) Half-Life 1, 2, episodes, Alyx
3) Streets of Rage 2

I used to rent SOR 2 on the genesis back in the day, I played it constantly to the point where I probably had a a good solid couple hundred hours in just rental versions. I finally got it for Genesis when I got the 6-pack, stuck another couple hundred hours probably into it there.

I also had it on Game Gear, which was a surprisingly good port, at least from a fun and enjoyment standpoint. Played it tons there, especially during long car rides.

I am pretty sure I own every official re-release minus a couple like Gamecube (Sega Smash Pack Dreamcast, Sonic Gems PS2, Wii VC Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 and PS3). I have the Sega Genesis Classics on Steam (the only game I own in the package is of course Streets of Rage 2). I don't own the XBLA version because I'm pretty sure I had the Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 first.

By far my favorite port however is for the 3DS. Between the 3D graphics, Rage Replay, and Casual mode, it offers a ton, and it is just a really good port in general. I love it and I consider it to be the definitive way to play the game in 2020. I also own the Switch port but that has its own problems. Its better than not having the game at all though and I've played through it a handful of times on Switch despite its deficiencies.All of this is a long way of saying I have played the game thousands of times, beaten it hundreds of times and I love it completely. Weirdly in all of this, SOR1 and 3 barely factor in. I've played them both, I think I've beaten SOR1, but they just don't hit as hard for me as 2 does.

Which is why I am pretty nervous for SOR4. Like Half Life Alyx had with HL2, SOR4 has nearly impossibly large shoes to fill. Not only from just the basic standpoint of "is it a good game", but from a gameplay standpoint, combat, movement, music, graphics, all of it. The game looks good so far, and I am 100% buying it on release day (haven't decided between Switch and PC yet) but man, I am nervous for this one because I personally have so much emotion tied up in the game. Its such a good, genre-defining classic, that it will be hard to even match, let alone top.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

drat saw an April 23 release date on the eshop last night and now you're telling me it's an extra week? Anyways looking forward to this game, definitely getting it on the Switch for easy coop.

edit: blaze lookin thiccc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am tentatively excited for this game (long wall of text incoming).

My list of most important games in my life goes like this:

1) Super Mario 1, 2, 3, World (yes they all count as one game, this is my list dammit)
2) Half-Life 1, 2, episodes, Alyx
3) Streets of Rage 2

I used to rent SOR 2 on the genesis back in the day, I played it constantly to the point where I probably had a a good solid couple hundred hours in just rental versions. I finally got it for Genesis when I got the 6-pack, stuck another couple hundred hours probably into it there.

I also had it on Game Gear, which was a surprisingly good port, at least from a fun and enjoyment standpoint. Played it tons there, especially during long car rides.

I am pretty sure I own every official re-release minus a couple like Gamecube (Sega Smash Pack Dreamcast, Sonic Gems PS2, Wii VC Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 and PS3). I have the Sega Genesis Classics on Steam (the only game I own in the package is of course Streets of Rage 2). I don't own the XBLA version because I'm pretty sure I had the Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 first.

By far my favorite port however is for the 3DS. Between the 3D graphics, Rage Replay, and Casual mode, it offers a ton, and it is just a really good port in general. I love it and I consider it to be the definitive way to play the game in 2020. I also own the Switch port but that has its own problems. Its better than not having the game at all though and I've played through it a handful of times on Switch despite its deficiencies.All of this is a long way of saying I have played the game thousands of times, beaten it hundreds of times and I love it completely. Weirdly in all of this, SOR1 and 3 barely factor in. I've played them both, I think I've beaten SOR1, but they just don't hit as hard for me as 2 does.

Which is why I am pretty nervous for SOR4. Like Half Life Alyx had with HL2, SOR4 has nearly impossibly large shoes to fill. Not only from just the basic standpoint of "is it a good game", but from a gameplay standpoint, combat, movement, music, graphics, all of it. The game looks good so far, and I am 100% buying it on release day (haven't decided between Switch and PC yet) but man, I am nervous for this one because I personally have so much emotion tied up in the game. Its such a good, genre-defining classic, that it will be hard to even match, let alone top.

I'm right there with you, I loving love SoR2 and especially love the definitive 3DS port that M2 did (also really loving adore the work they did on all the 3DS Sega stuff, especially Shinobi 3 and OutRun).

I don't actually feel like SoR4 will be that comparable to SoR2 for a myriad of ways, particularly the unique mechanics the devs wanted to give each character i.e. how Cherry can run, Adam has a dash that leads into combos, etc etc how they want every character to feel very different. By all means it seems they really love the source material hence why they got Yuzo back as well as
some of the most legendary Capcom composers ever to throw in. A lot of demo playthrough first takes seem really positive and the game looks so beautiful, I'm just happy to see SoR back--a beat'em up in geenral being made with so much quality is so rare to begin with. I was ecstatic that Ninja Warriors got a remake, still loving crazy that exists. Double Dragon Neon was probably the last new beat'em up that really impressed me--not counting River City Girls since that's more of a RCR kind of RPGesque deal.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

If they mess this up I'll be very cross, but everything I've seen so far looks good (apart from doing the SOR3 thing of some enemies having guns. Listen: only Mr X should have a gun.) . The lighting effects on the retro characters look great apart from the weird motion blur on Max's spinning.

If they throw in a SOR1 'bad' end option I'll be ecstatic.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
Absolutely loved this series. Personally my biggest fear for games like this is that it will not only be terrible but in doing so will also ruin my blissful memories of what playing these games for hours was like. It's been the main reason I don't want to buy Shenmue 3.

Also was just wondering if this series was made to compete with Final Fight on SNES or were all the sytems trying to get into the market after Double Dragons success.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Have always loved SoR since I came to trust only my fists as a kid. I'm highkey hype for this!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Deacon91 posted:

Also was just wondering if this series was made to compete with Final Fight on SNES or were all the sytems trying to get into the market after Double Dragons success.

It was both, but the first SOR was specifically designed to go head to head with Final Fight SNES - FF was one-player, so they made sure to have two-player with co-op moves, FF could only have a few characters on screen at once so they made sure their game could have tons of them (with much smaller sprites, to be fair), etc.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
Have to say I quite enjoyed Final Fight as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm really not a fan of the new artstyle, but I guess it's cool that you can revert to the original spritework for the old characters.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m worried about the hand drawn style as well. The original sprite work is incredible and iconic. Not that the had drawn stuff can’t be good but I’m stuck in my ways dammit!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Deacon91 posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It was both, but the first SOR was specifically designed to go head to head with Final Fight SNES - FF was one-player, so they made sure to have two-player with co-op moves, FF could only have a few characters on screen at once so they made sure their game could have tons of them (with much smaller sprites, to be fair), etc.

If you look at the chronology of beat-em-ups after Double Dragon was released, especially once the SNES came around, it's interesting to see how Streets of Rage 1 fits into the grand scheme of things. Final Fight's SNES port was released in December 1990 in Japan, November 1991 in North America. It was a timed exclusive to the SNES, at a time when the genre (and the game itself) was still pretty popular (Street Fighter II was out in the arcades by the time of Final Fight's North American release, so fighting games hadn't quite overtaken the beat-em-up completely yet). However, the SNES port of Final Fight had a lot of concessions made to fit in the limitations of SNES cartridge sizes at the time, and committed the biggest crime you could do with a beat-em-up at this time by making it single player only.

For North America, the market where the Sega Genesis was doing great, Streets of Rage 1 was released September 1991, before Final Fight. Since it had two-player co-op, that was a pretty strong selling point to get a Genesis over an SNES, among many other things (looking at Gradius III on SNES versus basically any shmup on Genesis in those early years). And it wasn't even like Streets of Rage 1 was the first beat-em-up on the Genesis; Golden Axe 1 was released on the Genesis on December 1989, which was a rather quick turnaround time compared to its arcade release of May 1989, and that game also featured two-player co-op. So in the holiday season of 1991, if you were a fan of beat-em-ups, your choices between the two 16-bit consoles was a butchered version of Final Fight on the SNES, or Streets of Rage on the Genesis, and potentially could get a cheap copy of Golden Axe on top of that.

I often compare Final Fight CD to Streets of Rage 2 because of where they were in their release timeline. Final Fight CD had proper two-player co-op, a new soundtrack, was more feature-complete than the SNES version, etc. It's a pretty good port, for the most part. The problem is that it was released in May 1993 in North America, so by that point it was showing its age. It also required the Sega CD add-on. It also came out several months after Streets of Rage 2, which released December 1992 in North America. I recall review magazines at the time knocking on Final Fight CD for that reason.

I think the biggest problems Streets of Rage 4 will have as far as reception goes will be having it compared to Streets of Rage 2 and creating a belt scrolling beat-em-up in the year 2020. Old farts (like me) will probably poo poo on it because it isn't Streets of Rage 2, and younger kids will wonder why people give a poo poo about what's arguably a shallow genre at all. I'm just glad somebody is making a new Streets of Rage game; I mean Sega wasn't ever gonna do it (they never use their legacy IPs unfortunately)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

River City Girls did a belt scroller in 2019 and I’m pretty sure it’s reasonably successful.

It does have the distinction of not being “the next streets of rage” to its advantage though.

Also, if you’re reading this thread and haven’t played RCG, you need to rectify that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The indie scene chose the wrong path when they went all-in on metroidvanias and roguelites instead of sidescrolling beatemups.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

exquisite tea posted:

The indie scene chose the wrong path when they went all-in on metroidvanias and roguelites instead of sidescrolling beatemups.

:hmmyes:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have never played a Streets Of Rage game in my life. My first beat 'em up was Renegade, followed by Double Dragon, both on the NES. Years later, every payday, a friend and I would take $20 to the local arcade, and play Captain Commando, until we finally beat it. Then I played Final Fight Guy on the SNES.

I played a handful of various others, but by the time I bought a Genesis, Sega was already halfway through the life of the Saturn, and I hadn't found a goodt beat 'em up in forever, so I never even looked at SOR.

With modern times and Steam, I was hoping I could find a good one or two, but the idiots there have tagged fighting games like Street Fighter as beat 'em ups, so search returns anything but what I want. I did manage to find Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, but I've yet to have time to play it (I know, I know, but RPGs are my primary love, so they get priority).

This game looks really good, and I can't wait to play it.

exquisite tea posted:

Nah. Those were good choices, but they should have included beat 'em ups, too.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

River City Girls did a belt scroller in 2019 and I’m pretty sure it’s reasonably successful.

I always felt like the Kunio-kun branch of belt scrollers was its own thing, mostly because of the light RPG elements they had, rather than the extremely linear style of the more conventional arcade belt scrollers. Ya slap RPG elements onto anything and folks'll eat it up. It also helps that Kunio-kun games tend to be pretty fun.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
My go to games were SoR, The strike series (Jungle strike, Desert strike, Urban strike?) and a game called General Chaos, not sure how many of you played that game but god it was fun so many hours of enjoyment out of the Sega. I got turned into a Sega fanboy after that and still own every Sega console to this day other then the Game Gear which my dad randomly gave away to a family down the street while I was at school because their children weren't well off and he felt sorry for them. I still have bitterness haha.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I get so bitter that the American version of Streets of Rage 3 is so difficult. I have it on my Switch genesis collection and if I actually want to play it in English, I have to deal with almost everything having such inflated health meters.

I know a lot of people shits on SOR3 music, but there are some tunes in that game that I think sound amazing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Streets of Rage Remake whips for anyone who wants to get in the mood while they wait for this

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Deacon91 posted:

My go to games were SoR, The strike series (Jungle strike, Desert strike, Urban strike?) and a game called General Chaos, not sure how many of you played that game but god it was fun so many hours of enjoyment out of the Sega. I got turned into a Sega fanboy after that and still own every Sega console to this day other then the Game Gear which my dad randomly gave away to a family down the street while I was at school because their children weren't well off and he felt sorry for them. I still have bitterness haha.

I was one of the 10 Sega Channel subscribers in the U.S. from the day it came to my cable company until they shut it down, so I played all of these on a regular basis. The Strike series needs a comeback.

Edit: and I'm there day 1 for this too. To this day, I still want to do the front grab->jump behind->back throw combo in any beat-em-up I play.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Streets of Rage Remake whips for anyone who wants to get in the mood while they wait for this

It really goes beyond the level of fan mod, SoRR is the most definitive version of the games to date.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

This modern era of Sega licensing out their IPs to indie devs for remakes (Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Panzer Dragoon) and sequels (Monster Boy, Streets of Rage 4) is both cool as hell since Sega always seems like it wants to do as little with their legacy IPs as possible, but also sad as hell because they have such a large IP vault that they neglect constantly. Sonic Mania is like the closest thing to one of those project they actually got involved with beyond just licensing it, and that's because Sega seems to only make Sonic and Yakuza games anymore (waiting on those Yakuza remasters to get on PC). I'm hoping the new Sakura Wars game is a sign of them starting to go use their stuff again, but I doubt it.

In any case, I hope more legacy Sega games are churned out by indie devs if this is their future.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Hell yes, super excited for this, definitely a day-one purchase for me. Loved the SoR games, beat em ups were probably my favorite game genre back in the 16-bit days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deacon91 posted:

the Game Gear which my dad randomly gave away to a family down the street while I was at school because their children weren't well off and he felt sorry for them. I still have bitterness haha.

Don’t worry literally every game Gear has had the sound or the video or both take a poo poo because of bad capacitors.

Nearly every unmodified game Gear will need work in tyool 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

exquisite tea posted:

:hmmyes: The more I see of your posting the more I like it.

Deacon91 posted:

Very similar, though I started a year or two earlier with a Master System that was fairly cheap because the Mega Drive was nearly upon us* but it was SEGA consoles for years, didn't change until I was completely blown away by the PlayStation's unbelievable 3D graphics and how wild games like WipeOut and Battle Arena Toshinden were.

I can still remember when I was very young and had just spent a summer playing the Master System version of Sonic 2 and being in some electronics/gaming store and impressing the staff because they were messing around on their demo version of it, so I said I could do some wild minecart jump part they were stuck on and true to my word aced it on the first try.

*Actually my first was an Amstrad CPC but the less said about that massive sack of poo poo the better - just that it's a miracle I ended up liking videogame at all after that being my first exposure.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

:hmmyes: The more I see of your posting the more I like it.

Very similar, though I started a year or two earlier with a Master System that was fairly cheap because the Mega Drive was nearly upon us* but it was SEGA consoles for years, didn't change until I was completely blown away by the PlayStation's unbelievable 3D graphics and how wild games like WipeOut and Battle Arena Toshinden were.

I can still remember when I was very young and had just spent a summer playing the Master System version of Sonic 2 and being in some electronics/gaming store and impressing the staff because they were messing around on their demo version of it, so I said I could do some wild minecart jump part they were stuck on and true to my word aced it on the first try.

*Actually my first was an Amstrad CPC but the less said about that massive sack of poo poo the better - just that it's a miracle I ended up liking videogame at all after that being my first exposure.

My memory is a little rough but it was the master system that had the door you could close and had Alex the Kid in built right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If someone made a version of Streets of Rage with a character creation feature and all the moves from the WWE games I would basically never have to buy another game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

flashy_mcflash posted:

If someone made a version of Streets of Rage with a character creation feature and all the moves from the WWE games I would basically never have to buy another game again.

I'm not sure how that would sell with the diehards though. Getting off track I think the best WWE game that gave my friends and I hours of fun was WWE No Mercy on the N64.