Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's just me, but Assassin's Creed Odyssey establishing that Kassandra has been alive for over 2000 years and doing all sorts of stuff during that time seems like a far better set up for a series of games in various historical settings than the load of old bollocks we've ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Breath of the Wild, I've done the Divine Beasts but the thing dragging it down is the reason I'm not going to do everything at least in this run, and am just going to prep for endgame - I hate that when you kill the leader of the Yiga clan, they start spawning constantly in the overworld. It's a huge pain in the rear end. They're easy, but they're a nuisance.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I have the last three shrines waiting for me since June 2017. I've made my peace with it and looked up the final battle online

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ruffian Price posted:

I have the last three shrines waiting for me since June 2017. I've made my peace with it and looked up the final battle online

I gave up at the final battle for over a year, turns out it's kind of underwhelmingly easy in person by that point if you have even a moderate amount of hearts and any meals with defense up along. It looks pretty rad, but left me kinda disappointed and hollow after worrying about it most of that whole playthrough.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I know it's easy, just wanted to do it in the final outfit you get. It's the open world postponing poo poo disease, like hoarding elixirs, but for story objectives.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, that was more of a tangent on being reminded of my own disappointment (although I'm not sure there'd have been a great solution for me given the game's nature, most likely I'd either hit it when it's frustratingly tough or sadly easy)

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So Pokémon Go has been trying to cope with the fact that people aren’t going outside anymore, and are going to introduce a remote version of raiding, the endgame activity that gets you powerful Pokémon. Three issues:

1. Remote raids require you to purchase a separate pass different than the ones you already have.
2. Only a certain number of people in a raid can be doing so remotely.
3. People remotely raiding will do less damage than those on site.

So basically instead of encouraging people to stay at home, this makes it more likely that people will go out for raids. If everything wasn’t shutdown I could see these limitations making sense, but right now it just seems stupid.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RGX posted:

Been playing through the Mass Effect series during lockdown and just started 2, enjoying the much improved graphics, actually runs smoother than the original. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but Holy hell the pre-rendered cutscenes are awful. I looked it up and turns out they are actually lower res videos than mass effect one, who the hell thought that was a good idea? Can't be file size surely?

It may have been, since it was a console game, too. Notably, they delayed a character's introduction and took the character out of early missions because they couldn't fit on the first disk.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gann Jerrod posted:

So basically instead of encouraging people to stay at home, this makes it more likely that people will go out for raids.
casting from your IRL hit points

Veotax
May 16, 2006

aegof posted:

It may have been, since it was a console game, too. Notably, they delayed a character's introduction and took the character out of early missions because they couldn't fit on the first disk.

Pretty much. The PC ports of the first three Mass Effect games were pretty much an after thought (well, ME1 was ported like a year or two later and they made a whole new UI for the PC version, so maybe not ME1). Hell, the first ME game to have controller support on PC was Andromeda, for the trilogy you have to use mods.

Every squad member in ME2 has dialogue for every mission in the game, even if it's before you could possibly recruit them (apart from Tali, who only doesn't have dialogue for Horizon I believe). Clearly Bioware planned for you to be able to recruit the squad members in any order but once they realised that they couldn't get all the content on one disc they made you recruit the first four before kicking you over to disc two and opening up the rest of the game (I believe there are no loyalty missions until you hit disc two too)

The series was made for console first (where it was probably running at 720p) and just ported straight over with no improvements other than what comes naturally with being on more powerful hardware (higher resolutions and framerates).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favourite part of ME2 were the fixed length loading screens when moving between Normandy decks, which you could "mod" to a few seconds on PC hardware. They just didn't care. But yeah, the games definitely struggled with the Xbox 360's anemic RAM (for ME3 they eventually removed weapon holstering to save memory).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So the FF7 remake is episodic? But each episode is gonna cost full price so to play the whole game you have to wait however long and spend like a couple hundred dollars?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

oldpainless posted:

So the FF7 remake is episodic? But each episode is gonna cost full price so to play the whole game you have to wait however long and spend like a couple hundred dollars?

Yes, but every one is intended to be a full price game.

Personally, I'm betting they'll drop off conspicuously in budget and quality sometime during disc 2, and go off the rails into Advent Children nonsense even sooner. Midgar had the advantage of being a really tightly-scripted part of the original game, so they actually didn't have much room to write their own stuff into the margins, but that still didn't stop them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yes, correct.

Additionally, from how I've understood it, the ending of the first episode all but explicitly tells you not to expect an unchanged story.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wait, folks were getting excited about more follow ups on the way and it was just the preexisting story not being finished? Holy lol :psyboom:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cleretic posted:

Personally, I'm betting they'll drop off conspicuously in budget and quality sometime during disc 2, and go off the rails into Advent Children nonsense even sooner. Midgar had the advantage of being a really tightly-scripted part of the original game, so they actually didn't have much room to write their own stuff into the margins, but that still didn't stop them.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yes, correct.

Additionally, from how I've understood it, the ending of the first episode all but explicitly tells you not to expect an unchanged story.
This is, without hyperbole, the worst news I’ve gotten in the last 3 months.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

oldpainless posted:

More like oldpennyless.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oldpainless posted:

Yeah but the game is loving fantastic, so it’s easy to get over it. :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Personally, I'm betting they'll drop off conspicuously in budget and quality sometime during disc 2, and go off the rails into Advent Children nonsense even sooner.
Yeah uh about that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah uh about that

Oh I know full well they already did.

They'll do it even harder once they hit the more loosely-scripted later parts of the story, the ones that REALLY give them room to doodle in the margins.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I remember FFVII going through a quick pace after Midgar. There's Kalm, Mythril Mine, Junon, a boat trip, Costa Del Sol, Corel, Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Temple of the Ancients, and the Forgotten City all in the first disc which makes up the first half of the story. Gongaga and Wutai are optional. I never bothered with Fort Condor because who gives a poo poo.

After the 2/3rds mark you've visited every location already. The world of FFVII is pretty small and barren when you break it down. A lot of stuff can be safely cut and merged. They could probably get away with a point-and-click map over the old method.

I actually forget what the driving force of the game is after Midgar. Follow up on this dead guy because he's bad news? Hopefully after Midgar they will keep the tight banter between party-members unlike the original.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

FF7 being bigger then the modern day plague is some strong goon energy.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

oldpainless posted:

Don't worry, this is Square Enix, so there'll always be an option to spend a couple hundred dollars on a single episode.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Company of Heroes 2:

It's a decent RTS, and I've been having a blast playing through the co-op scenarios with a friend.

But that's the thing: The co-op scenarios. There's three "mission pack" DLCs you can buy that unlock more missions, but every single one of them is Soviets versus Wehrmacht. There are three other (purchasable) factions, in US forces, British, and Oberkommando. None of them are in any of the scenarios or mission packs. Is it too much to ask for some missions with the other 60% of your playable factions, game?

Also, if you want to buy all the cosmetics it's $400 CAD. And that doesn't include commanders, bulletins (small bonuses to things in game), or mission packs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I'm playing through Nier Automata, right? And last night, I beat the game and got the first ending, Ending A.

(As a quick explanation, Nier Automata has twenty-six different endings, but only five of them are important. To get the full story you have to get endings A, B, C, D, and E.)

The thing is though, I had no idea I was getting near the first ending. There's a point of no return that once you pass, it cuts off most of your sidequests and locks you into the ending path, something that the game makes no attempt at all to warn you about...aaand it's something that I'm kind of salty about, because from how it's been explained to me, several of your sidequests are locked to the first playthrough, and once you finish Ending A you miss your chance to complete them.

It's left something of a sour taste in my mouth. Is it really that hard to make it more apparent that HEY THIS IS YOUR POINT OF NO RETURN GO FINISH STUFF NOW?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the good news is that you'll get a chapter select eventually, and you can go back and get anything you missed. the sidequests you did do will stay completed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You haven't beaten poo poo. The game is linear and you are now on 11 of 27 chapters. When you get to the true-end-end there's a chapter-select. There is very little missable in the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wait really? So the people telling me I can't complete 6O's sidequests are wrong?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the good news is that you'll get a chapter select eventually, and you can go back and get anything you missed. the sidequests you did do will stay completed.

Even before that, you can already go around during the second part and do the rest of the sidequests - which you'll probably need to wait for anyway because you won't get strong enough to finish them before that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The majority of them are universal, there are only a few that can ONLY only be done while you're still in the first go around (four out of nearly 40). 6O's quest is unfortunately one of those. Any other sidequests you've started stay in your log when you reach Ending A, but you have to do the steps again.

For reference, the four quests are Terminal Repairs (which is mandatory), Find A Present (for 6O), 11B's Memento, and Jackass' Research.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Apr 17, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bloodcider posted:

In the original Resident Evil 2, there's an intact window in the west office hallway, which shows up in the remake intact until a zombie smashes through it. In the original RE3, which takes place before RE2, Nemesis smashes through the window to chase Jill, making a big continuity error. It's one of my favorite details of the original RE trilogy because all three games have multiple character campaigns with different paths and endings, that all contradict each other but cohere into a sort of campfire story about what really happened. The window adds to the mythology.

Resident Evil 3 Remake little thing: Jill never goes to the RPD, but Carlos does. The window is intact and nothing happens to it.

Man, that's some impressive first class nitpickin. I'm impressed.

I can't imagine how my brain might cramp up if I ever bothered with RE continuity/canon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve picked up Sekiro as my first souls type game ever cause I thought the parry system looked really cool. So far I’m enjoying it but some things do quite annoy me.

You lose like half your money and xp when you die and there is no way for you to get it back. That really annoys me cause when I find a difficult enemy early in the game I want to beat them instead of coming back later and this system actively discouraged me from repeatedly trying bosses.

Executing someone when you’re not in combat can be really finicky. Just in one session last night I snuck up right behind someone and proceeded to hit them with a basic attack because I wasn’t in exactly the right spot like 8 times.

Ranged enemies have no goddamn chill.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, that's some impressive first class nitpickin. I'm impressed.

I can't imagine how my brain might cramp up if I ever bothered with RE continuity/canon.

I really enjoy how not only RE2 has a Leon A/Claire B or vice versa, depending on who you play as first, 3 also has multiple endings and different story beats that all play out differently based on choices you can make during certain events with absolutely no indication of what the end result will be.

The whole thing is an amazing disregard for canon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 doesn't even clarify things. No matter how 2 and 3 shake out, Umbrella eventually goes down, and then 4 comes along and gives us a definitive answer:

...its stock market price crashed.

But Ada's still around, so there's at least one thing they made canon!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Apr 17, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

moosecow333 posted:

I’ve picked up Sekiro as my first souls type game ever cause I thought the parry system looked really cool. So far I’m enjoying it but some things do quite annoy me.

You lose like half your money and xp when you die and there is no way for you to get it back. That really annoys me cause when I find a difficult enemy early in the game I want to beat them instead of coming back later and this system actively discouraged me from repeatedly trying bosses.

Executing someone when you’re not in combat can be really finicky. Just in one session last night I snuck up right behind someone and proceeded to hit them with a basic attack because I wasn’t in exactly the right spot like 8 times.

Ranged enemies have no goddamn chill.

Man, you picked a hard friggin' game for your first soulsborne not that I'd really consider it one.... One thing that sets Sekiro way apart from the Souls games is a total lack of RPG stats - so you're really honestly not losing much of anything when you whiff it on a boss. Since there's no armor or weapons to find or levels to grind there's really no reason not to throw yourself face-first into fights, lost money be damned.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
On a failed attempt, you will lose any consumables and the ammo you have to grind out for the prosthetic weapons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kind of hoping that Breath of the Wild 2 does something other than Ganon, because there are so many games where it seems like someone else but it still all comes down to him and it's kind of dull. Even Seasons and Ages were Ganon in linked games. I'd like to see something like maybe the three Goddesses become corrupted somehow and you need to fight them, with them being dark mirrors to the three facets. Farore is Courage, which means she won't stop coming, a recurring bossfight that could even be like a Nemesis situation where at certain points she shows up to try to wreck you, being as unstoppable as Link himself. Nayru is Wisdom, so she'd fight smarter, mostly opting to find ways to counter your abilities and effectively acting as a General to her sisters, advising them of tactical aspects, and Din is just raw strength, a tactical nuke. You point her at something and it's just not there anymore.

Just something that's not fighting a giant pig for the umpteenth time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What about....resurrected undead Ganon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Although it would be funny if the next Zelda game had its main enemy be a giant pig but not Ganon. Just a regular farmhouse pig scaled up to be a Shadow of the Colossus final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If that Skeleton is actually Ganon I'll be disappointed, I at least would hope that Zelda would express frustration given that she just killed him.