Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah bikes and trucks can go through some stuff with turbo as long as they don't get slowed down. I think only problem is super shallow stuff for bikes, trucks can go through something like that waterfall area between Mama's lab and the timefall farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bikes can make it into slightly deeper water if you do a wheelie, but the battery life won't be happy about it. Generally if Sam can stand up in it (blue squares) you can ride the bike through it, but yellow squares are iffy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not the water itself that made me leave the trike behind, it was the shoreline I was on that had what seemed at the time to be impassable rock. There was a narrow path through the rock that I missed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lobok posted:

Man, I'm on Chapter 3 at the moment and I just skimmed through some guy's speedrun of it out of curiosity. Realized I have not been nearly ballsy enough with this game and I also learned I could double-jump? He made crossing streams look so easy with it (not to be confused with crossing the streams, which would be bad). I just got to the weather station and I wish I had taken my trike with me because I apparently gave up super easily on it when I saw the rough terrain surrounding the river.

you can actually drive the truck up to the weather station relatively easily, there's a really obvious driving path that heads up to it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can you drive to every facility in the game, assuming you find the route? It just might be the long way around?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The game engine procedurally flattens paths that are more popular.

In any case, do everyone a favor and never drive a truck to the cosplayer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

That's less of a problem now that you can dismantle everything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DalaranJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiQOCX9UbM

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Can you drive to every facility in the game, assuming you find the route? It just might be the long way around?

There are some where it'll be exceedingly difficult but yes pretty much, I've seen trucks from other players in very improbable places.

DalaranJ posted:

Every time I deliver there, there's always a truck or bike slam dunked right in front of her doorstep. :allears:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DalaranJ posted:

Wow, actually flattens? I thought it'd just convert grass into dirt and maybe downsize or remove some rocks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lobok posted:

Wow, actually flattens? I thought it'd just convert grass into dirt and maybe downsize or remove some rocks.

Well, it’s all subtractive from a base layer, so it’s not like slopes are changing, but I was really surprised how much it was willing to remove. It was most noticeable for me when using the giant’s causeway like terrain to go from the depo to the junk dealer which I did about a dozen times.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Just finished this game and wow, I’m speechless. Felt like a Netflix series I got to interact with.

I’m also loving stupid and played it for 40+ hours without knowing there was an online part, I didn’t read much about it prior to playing it and a friend said “hey give it a shot, great story!”

I had rebuilt 25 roads with 95K+ materials before I found the login feature. By myself.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Douchebag posted:

Just finished this game and wow, I’m speechless. Felt like a Netflix series I got to interact with.

I’m also loving stupid and played it for 40+ hours without knowing there was an online part, I didn’t read much about it prior to playing it and a friend said “hey give it a shot, great story!”

I had rebuilt 25 roads with 95K+ materials before I found the login feature. By myself.

That hurts! I built the first road all by myself, but i only got about half of the materials for the next segment, came back after a couple more deliveries/rests and I had highway through both of the Mule zones outside Lake Knot City. Grabbed a trike and cruised right past those goons!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Zonko_T.M. posted:

That hurts! I built the first road all by myself, but i only got about half of the materials for the next segment, came back after a couple more deliveries/rests and I had highway through both of the Mule zones outside Lake Knot City. Grabbed a trike and cruised right past those goons!

I rebuilt the entire road system from Lake Knot to South Knot. And from the craftsman to the distro center north of Mountain Knot, by myself. No lie, it was fun doing it. Raiding mule camps and stuff was fun.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Douchebag posted:

I rebuilt the entire road system from Lake Knot to South Knot. And from the craftsman to the distro center north of Mountain Knot, by myself. No lie, it was fun doing it. Raiding mule camps and stuff was fun.

I'm really glad I went in completely blind. I was terrified of the BTs and would look at streams as oceanic craters I had to cross. You really get out of this game what you put into it. Once you start to "game" it, it becomes a different experience, but man, that part before you realize you can take the easy way was amazing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

DalaranJ posted:

So when Sam mentions “oh there’s a footpath” it’s because a lot of people took that exact route? drat, that’s the kind of online functionality I appreciate.

Was it someone in this thread who created this google sheet with all the standard orders in the game by number? What are the easiest orders to S-rank from the Time and Miscellaneous categories? Time is an area where I’m still grade 43 with everything else at 60+ because can never figure out the relationship between the overall time limit and the par time I need to beat, and Misc orders frequently send me into hostile areas where being detected means I need to spend like 5 minutes clearing out all the enemies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My anecdotal observations over the last several days of grinding time missions for the plat is that faster than 1/6 of the time limit will get you an S-rank. Time missions seem to be the least common type. There are some really easy ones from the Doctor to Mountain Knot and Mountaineer that are super fast with zip lines. My strategy has been to do those and then hunt memory chips until they come back up. There’s also one from Mountain Knot to the distribution center north of mountain knot that’s an easy S if you built the road and have a truck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Midjack posted:

My anecdotal observations over the last several days of grinding time missions for the plat is that faster than 1/6 of the time limit will get you an S-rank. Time missions seem to be the least common type. There are some really easy ones from the Doctor to Mountain Knot and Mountaineer that are super fast with zip lines. My strategy has been to do those and then hunt memory chips until they come back up. There’s also one from Mountain Knot to the distribution center north of mountain knot that’s an easy S if you built the road and have a truck.

the easiest time mission in the game that also gives you crazy ranks for completing it is driving the chiral printer cartridges to lake knot city. its trivially simple, you just drive a truck in a straight line.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are there any suggestions as to how I can enjoy BT sections/areas more? I avoid or delay doing anything to do with BTs as much as I can because each one is such a slog. I was gaining confidence in my ability to read the odradek and treat the areas like invisible obstacle courses I could run through but now it seems like there's BTs that move around? So it's killed the tempo again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its actually pretty easy to just deliberately get caught and then clear the area, although i feel like that also took a lot of tension out of the game. just make sure you have a lethal assault rifle or two and some grenades in your truck and stop outside the BT area, then go in and wait for the catcher and get caught and clear it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rabidsquid posted:

its actually pretty easy to just deliberately get caught and then clear the area, although i feel like that also took a lot of tension out of the game. just make sure you have a lethal assault rifle or two and some grenades in your truck and stop outside the BT area, then go in and wait for the catcher and get caught and clear it.

Clear it permanently?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Clear it permanently?

No, nothing clears BTs permanently.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

except for a few very specific spots on the map it typically clears them for a real good while. some areas depending on story progress are basically permanently rainy and are cleared for such a short period of time its not even worth it (and also generally not worth ever going there)

the caveat to this being that if you rest in a safe room basically everything is going to be back on the map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Are there any suggestions as to how I can enjoy BT sections/areas more? I avoid or delay doing anything to do with BTs as much as I can because each one is such a slog. I was gaining confidence in my ability to read the odradek and treat the areas like invisible obstacle courses I could run through but now it seems like there's BTs that move around? So it's killed the tempo again.

Kill 'em, they don't have too much health. Bigger BTs die in one charged blood grenade, smaller BTs don't even need to be charged. For groups, a fully charged blood grenade will expand its range quite a lot. Eventually it became second nature for me personally- crouch walk in the direction you want to go till the odradek starts spinning, stop and wait for the shadows to appear, hold L2 and huck a grenade at the closest one, and keep on moving. It only takes a minute to get through a BT zone if you go in as straight a line as possible.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The ability to cut the umbilical cords makes those areas much easier too, stop, scan, pick the closest one, crouch walk directly at it while holding your breath, hit square when the prompt happens. The range you can do it at basically means you'll never just bump in to one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

the easiest time mission in the game that also gives you crazy ranks for completing it is driving the chiral printer cartridges to lake knot city. its trivially simple, you just drive a truck in a straight line.

There’s also one from Lake to South that gives you over 2000 likes if you S rank it, which is trivial if you have the road and a truck. Emergency food supplies, I think. That was enough to push me from 58 to 60 in the time category and now all I need are a couple dozen memory chips for the plat.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1252545842575142913

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Death Stranding got Death Stranded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The sixth extinction....

night slime
May 14, 2014
Seems odd to still be porting a game that's been so long in development. Wonder if they're planning more content. Probably a bit hopeful but maybe.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Midjack posted:

Ffff I finally got the 20 Legend of Legends in each category trophy. There are several easy time based orders in the eastern area once you build out the zip lines. I can definitely get the plat now.

Don't be tempted to get S on that fat order in Port Knot. It's such a slog because you have to go through 3 forced BT areas. More trouble than it's worth, just use it to get however many points you get and move on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Don't be tempted to get S on that fat order in Port Knot. It's such a slog because you have to go through 3 forced BT areas. More trouble than it's worth, just use it to get however many points you get and move on.

I don’t think I ever tried that one. Just got the plat!:toot:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Midjack posted:

There’s also one from Lake to South that gives you over 2000 likes if you S rank it, which is trivial if you have the road and a truck.

Your wording implies that the amount of likes earned from an order determines the amount by which the relevant porter grade category increases, which seems incredibly obvious in hindsight and is good to know, thank you!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Your wording implies that the amount of likes earned from an order determines the amount by which the relevant porter grade category increases, which seems incredibly obvious in hindsight and is good to know, thank you!

Yeah, it’s not obvious early on when everything gives you about the same number of likes but when you hit an outlier it becomes more apparent.

night slime
May 14, 2014
There's a metal order from the Owen Southwick guy that gets like 6000 likes but I don't know if it would help with time. It's from him to William Lake and just a straight drive if you have roads.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

night slime posted:

There's a metal order from the Owen Southwick guy that gets like 6000 likes but I don't know if it would help with time. It's from him to William Lake and just a straight drive if you have roads.

An order won't be counted towards your "time" likes star point unless the little icon next to the order when accepting it is the watch icon.

40 hours in and getting my last trophy for Plat taught me that even if an order has a time or cargo weight/number condition, the whole order only counts towards the star point that matches with the icon.

The evo-devo biologist has some easy time based ones that you can get S rank on if you clear the terrorist camp first.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Midjack posted:

Yeah, it’s not obvious early on when everything gives you about the same number of likes but when you hit an outlier it becomes more apparent.

Or until you build your first highway in online mode and get like 10,000 Bridge Link likes and rocket up 20 levels :shepface:

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene
BB is almost as hilarious as one of those babies with sunglasses playing saxophone. What a good character Kojima-san has created. :D

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene
Sam, do you know why they call me Die-Hardman? It's because I die hard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene
What an interesting premise that shits itself by the end. Some real JRPG bullshit masquerading as art.

This is the way the world ends. Not with an explosion, but a wet fart actually.

Musharraf fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 25, 2020