Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems like the gamemode is only viable is multiple people aren't really sure how to play. It feels like if everyone knows what they're doing it falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seems like the gamemode is only viable is multiple people aren't really sure how to play. It feels like if everyone knows what they're doing it falls apart.

The analogy I would use is it's like early Magic the Gathering blue counter-spell decks. There's a lot of potential to do cool stuff but the game often devolves down to two sides saying "no you can't do that" to each other. Imagine a game with just a ton of stuns constantly going off and how unsatisfying that is to play - that's where we're at right now with Resistance.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 17, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I'm gonna say resistance was fun in the first week when almost everyone didn't know what they were doing, but as the meta grows, it's getting more frustrating. Especially as survivors and masterminds both get options for customization which if set up properly can completely render situations for the other side in unfair directions. Like how jan/Jill should just spec for camera duty because that outweighs anything else they could do to h he would relock it. Don't forget Spencer has high level locks so he'll set up another mine in time.

It's clever but it can be extremely frustrating as a player.

I'm probably going to move this game to my external hard drive for storage until they provide some updates with new maps or more interesting scenarios.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The funnest Mastermind is still Annette, because it's just Zombo Apocalypse. Daniel is also pretty good although a Daniel-controlled Berzerking Regening Tough Zombie that can't be knocked back can be a little frustrating. But it's not like it can be everywhere at once.

Alex has one good build that is not much fun to play against where she auto-detonates mines. Her poison build is totally shut down by one Survivor: Valerie. Guess who's the most played Survivor in the game? (Valerie)

Spencer might be a viable archtype but he's not any fun at all to play against. Either he gets complete shut down by camera turbo-fuckery or he's got a card in hand that totally nullifies it. Stupid rear end game design.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 17, 2020

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Alex: Her poison build is totally shut down by one Survivor: Becca.

You mean Valerie, right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Seedge posted:

You mean Valerie, right?

Yes, you're right. Sorry. I've got some kind of name dyslexia with those two.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

I just saw that. What the fuuuck :smith:

I will always remember you. Goodbye, Ada Paul.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I'm gonna say resistance was fun in the first week when almost everyone didn't know what they were doing, but as the meta grows, it's getting more frustrating.

I find this true for almost any online game

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

I find this true for almost any online game

Good games actually get more fun as you improve at them.

Bad games have degenerate strategies that are better than everything else and just get discovered and then hammered on.

Most online games, unfortunately, are bad.

Just watch the first 90 seconds of this IGN vid:

https://www.ign.com/videos/resident-evil-resistance-jill-valentine-gameplay?sf121003019=1

Admittedly, the clock status tells met that this Mastermind struggled in Area 1, but just look at the gameplay. Survivors see zombies. Survivors throw Flash Bang and stuns zombies for literally 5+ seconds. Survivors shoot motionless zombies.

Zero threat and zero counterplay possible from the Mastermind. There's only one zombie that's immune to flashbangs (the Licker) and it's incredibly expensive and not controllable. It's not even close to a soft counter.

The only "counterplay" is the Mastermind hoping that the Survivors run out of Flashbangs. And Hand Grenades. And Molotovs. And all of their stunning abilities. Stupid rear end game design.

edit: also Resistance has a very bad progression system that reminds me of a (generous) F2P game. It's designed to hurt you and keep you weak in either role until you grind. This is a paid game. Why is it like this?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 17, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just wait until there's more high rank Valerie's that can buy infinite grenades.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good games actually get more fun as you improve at them.

Bad games have degenerate strategies that are better than everything else and just get discovered and then hammered on.

Most online games, unfortunately, are bad.

Just watch the first 90 seconds of this IGN vid:

https://www.ign.com/videos/resident-evil-resistance-jill-valentine-gameplay?sf121003019=1

I guess for me, most online games amount to thousands of other people with way more time on their hands being able to break the game before I've even had time to learn the controls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This kind of thing is why I don't do multiplayer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess for me, most online games amount to thousands of other people with way more time on their hands being able to break the game before I've even had time to learn the controls.

A successful game generally has a good onboarding process and decent skill-based matchmaking. But being successful and being good are two different things.

Cardiovorax posted:

This kind of thing is why I don't do multiplayer.

It's a shame because Resistance has A LOT of good ideas, and if you've ever wanted to chase people around as a BOW in a Resident-Evil lore world it's really satisfying.

But whoever their design lead is, they are inept.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

It's a shame because Resistance has A LOT of good ideas, and if you've ever wanted to chase people around as a BOW in a Resident-Evil lore world it's really satisfying.

But whoever their design lead is, they are inept.
It's a third-party game that outsourced by Capcom, neither of the development teams for the remakes had anything to do with it, so I'm personally not too surprised.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Dropping a Mr. X down and bullrushing through an open door and clotheslining four people at once is really loving good feeling, it's just sad how much of the rest of the game is not good feeling at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a third-party game that outsourced by Capcom, neither of the development teams for the remakes had anything to do with it, so I'm personally not too surprised.

I mean 99% of multiplayer games wither on the vine, so I agree with you in principle, but it's sad to see a game with some potential take a big old dump. Especially because the concept of "Resident Evil Mastermind torments four dorks with traps, zombos, and BOWs" is awesome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean 99% of multiplayer games wither on the vine, so I agree with you in principle, but it's sad to see a game with some potential take a big old dump. Especially because the concept of "Resident Evil Mastermind torments four dorks with traps, zombos, and BOWs" is awesome.
I don't disagree. It's not like this isn't already a proven concept, with how successful the Zombie Master mod for Half-Life was. I'm just not really surprised that a game that was developed by an outside studio, practically as an afterthought to a larger title, would have issues like this.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I never thought of it like this, but based on the fact that the forest around the mansion was portrayed as too deadly to traverse, and who survived the mansion, this is the only canon that makes sense. Wesker must have had some means of escape ready even before he sent Bravo team, but of course that doesn't mean he'd invite just anyone along with him at the end. Rebecca though? The creep clearly had a thing for her, so he wouldn't leave her to just die, while Barry would 100% be a liability to bring along. From this we can conclude that Jill's ending is canon, which implies Chris's story is mostly not. He might have met Rebecca in the mansion, made her play the piano and then got captured, with Rebecca eventually deciding to stop trying and look for Chris instead - eventually leading her to bump into the wounded Wesker.

Chris's story is him grafting bits of Jill's heroics on to his own adventures.

While this is a neat theory, Umbrella Chronicles has a scenario that details exactly how Wesker got out. Long story short, he was totally winging it while testing out his new powers, kept getting side tracked by Lisa Trevor, and ultimately made it out the front door with seconds to spare.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
The combination of vocal complaints on both sides of the multiplayer is quite an amusing sight to see.

Its really not helped by the matchmaking at times however, i fear 'unstable connection to the mastermind' will be burned into my screen at this rate as i cannot think of a match without it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

No loving way,he was still fairly young right?
R.I.P
[/quote]

I was just looking at a youtube of someone playing the original Resident Evil 2 with him commenting the other day. I think he had some kind of cancer, although im not sure if that is what killed him. RIP.

rabidsquid posted:

i legitimately dont understand why you nerds think an RE4 remake has no possible use and also behave as if it will do some irreparable harm to original RE4. frankly changes to the controls of the game for accessibility purposes would be more than enough for me.

Honestly, I am just of the opinion that there are better things to remake if there are to be remakes. I actually would love to see how another Dino Crisis game would look.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

blackguy32 posted:

I was just looking at a youtube of someone playing the original Resident Evil 2 with him commenting the other day. I think he had some kind of cancer, although im not sure if that is what killed him. RIP.

Yeah, he had cancer along with some sort of neurological disorder. He had a surgery scheduled, but it was pushed back due to the pandemic.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5449&v=-tAps0a10L0&feature=emb_logo
Jill's face model streaming the game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

On the resistance talk, there's another 4 vs 1 multiplayer game coming soon.

Predator Hunting Grounds.

It'll be interesting to see how that holds up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A successful game generally has a good onboarding process and decent skill-based matchmaking. But being successful and being good are two different things.

I'll take your word for it but online PvP never interested me much at all. In theory, it seems like a good idea but in execution it's just cheesing the game and a bunch of juvenile, raicst trash talk. Granted, I haven't delved into it much but the few times I did I was very much no thanks. Sort of like FB.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
drat, paul. Iconic voice and forever my fav out of all of them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK I get that Hardcore is supposed to be hardcore, but I'm using Carlos and trying to kill a zombie cop and I counted... 39 stabs. I mean what the gently caress?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Don't use the knife. For anything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

sigher posted:

What if Krauser shows up

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

So the hallway outside the dark room, currently has not 1, not 2, but 7 corpses on the ground. I stabbed every one of them to death lol

Some practice with Carlos and you can learn to isolate zombies by their AI "fences" that they don't like to walk past, then shoulder-check stunlock them while you stab.

I probably don't need to, but I can't resist savescumming zombies by stabbing them to death so I have ludicrous amounts of health and ammo hoarded.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the knife is for poking downed zombies to check if they’re still alive, not for killing them

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ineffiable posted:

On the resistance talk, there's another 4 vs 1 multiplayer game coming soon.

Predator Hunting Grounds.

It'll be interesting to see how that holds up.

Probably not very well, I watched Funhaus play it for a while, the predator player killed one person during the entire stream and it ended up costing the predator the game. The humans just have too much healing and the predator just doesn't do enough damage.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

codo27 posted:

Pleaseeeee actually play re4 and remove your bland gray colored glasses and then tell me it doesn't stand to gain any improvement at all. Just do it

please name a single third person shooter that you think is an improvement on re4's mechanics

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

codo27 posted:

Pleaseeeee actually play re4 and remove your bland gray colored glasses and then tell me it doesn't stand to gain any improvement at all. Just do it

I played Re4 for the second time this last week and it still rules and is excellently playable. A remake that unlocked the controls would be an entirely new game that could be better but could also be worse because of how interlocked all the game design decisions of 4 are. 4's a rather deliberately paced and tactical game that derives the hectic action from enclosing the player in environments that are more often cramped than not and then surrounding the player with enemies that are also slow and deliberate but deadly if you don't manage them properly. The controls take some getting used to but they also greatly contribute to that claustrophobic high pressure feeling that is the game moment to moment. Leon can reposition for better advantage in combat but he can't dance around enemies easily. You start messing with variables and I think the game does have a chance to fall apart. If leon is more agile and more easily able to navigate the environment it means the slow dread of groups of enemies approaching you is lessened unless the enemies are also made more agile. At that point I'd argue modifying the game that much makes it a different experience.

A 4 remake could be cool but I think 4 as a game is such a right time right place right team dream that it's unlikely a 2 year dev cycle would not only capture most of it but surpass it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the wii port is the One True Format

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

I played Re4 for the second time this last week and it still rules and is excellently playable. A remake that unlocked the controls would be an entirely new game that could be better but could also be worse because of how interlocked all the game design decisions of 4 are. 4's a rather deliberately paced and tactical game that derives the hectic action from enclosing the player in environments that are more often cramped than not and then surrounding the player with enemies that are also slow and deliberate but deadly if you don't manage them properly. The controls take some getting used to but they also greatly contribute to that claustrophobic high pressure feeling that is the game moment to moment. Leon can reposition for better advantage in combat but he can't dance around enemies easily. You start messing with variables and I think the game does have a chance to fall apart. If leon is more agile and more easily able to navigate the environment it means the slow dread of groups of enemies approaching you is lessened unless the enemies are also made more agile. At that point I'd argue modifying the game that much makes it a different experience.

A 4 remake could be cool but I think 4 as a game is such a right time right place right team dream that it's unlikely a 2 year dev cycle would not only capture most of it but surpass it.

Yeah I was going to post something like this but this is much better. RE4's controls are integral to the enemy and combat design and 'lol just let leon walk and shoot' completely breaks all the encounters and renders every enemy a joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can even see an example of this in RE5, where they clearly designed it around RE4 style controls and then taped a 'move and shoot' part in later. The AI does not deal well with it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zhuge liang posted:

please name a single third person shooter that you think is an improvement on re4's mechanics

Gears of War, not saying Gears is a better game, but the combat sure as hell is, it's fluid doesn't feel like you're controlling your wading your character through molasses. It's quick and responsive.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

zhuge liang posted:

vanquish

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

the knife is for poking downed zombies to check if they’re still alive, not for killing them

Maybe on babby difficulty mode...

For Carlos any time you encounter a single zombie, you can open up with a counterpunch to knock them on their rear end, then when they sit up, tap again to shoulder them back over, stab twice while backing up, shoulder them again, repeat until dead. It'd not doable when there's more than one but when you can single them out it saves a lot of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

zhuge liang posted:

come on dude. if you genuinely believe this why even post it because you're not engaging in a genuine discussion here

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe on babby difficulty mode...

For Carlos any time you encounter a single zombie, you can open up with a counterpunch to knock them on their rear end, then when they sit up, tap again to shoulder them back over, stab twice while backing up, shoulder them again, repeat until dead. It'd not doable when there's more than one but when you can single them out it saves a lot of ammo.

you can do this a lot faster with the pistol, this seems like mind numbing