Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whoops, astigmatism would be why I can't do them now, then.

Push starting a car, which was a plot point as recently as Children of Men (and which would make more sense in Europe), would probably just draw strange looks from USA zoomers.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Prejudice against Roma people?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Prejudice against Roma people?

That's been a serious problem as of at least last year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/roma-antiziganist-romani-discrimination-italy-matteo-salvini-ukraine-a9024196.html

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/05/world/roma-bulgaria-violence-eu-elections-cnnphotos/

etc etc etc

edit: oh, I see - I thought you were saying that "antiziganism" was a reference in older media lost on modern audiences.

(If only.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magneto was actually Romani for a while. It wasn't until after the first X-Men movie where he was retconned into being Jewish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

Magneto was actually Romani for a while. It wasn't until after the first X-Men movie where he was retconned into being Jewish.

Kind of. He was originally written as Jewish, then Marvel didn’t want to have one of their biggest villains be Jewish so they changed his backstory in the 80’s or 90’s, then they went back to Jewish but with a Romani wife and retconned it as him having posed as Romani for reasons. But yeah, the only reason he was ever written as Romani was because the public never really gets its hackles up over Romani being portrayed as evil.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
Got an e-mail from a stressed out student who was complaining she couldn't reach me, she had sent several texts and had gotten messages back saying that the text couldn't be delivered.

She was texting my landline office phone.

(She didn't understand what a landline was because basically no one has them anymore, outside of an office setting)

lizard_phunk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 30, 2020

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lizard_phunk posted:

Got an e-mail from a stressed out student who was complaining she couldn't reach me, she had sent several texts and had gotten messages back saying that the text couldn't be delivered.

She was texting my landline office phone.

(She didn't understand what a landline was because basically no one has them anymore, outside of an office setting)

I've had similar - moved into a new team that had the same supervisor for long enough that they'd all communicate over text and they started whining when the only phone number I gave them was the office landline. like, gently caress off, you don't get my personal number. you call or email the office like the union agreement says you do

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We got rid of our landline a few years ago because the only people that ever called were my wife's aunt and people trying to reach a dry cleaning place that had a slightly similar number.

Even my parents have stopped using landlines and got rid of their phone a couple years ago.

Landlines are probably going to stick around for a while for institutions and businesses but I wouldn't be surprised if I live to see the day where they're as anchronistic as telegrams are now.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

A few years back, our neighbors had to come over to use our landline because the husband had like a heart monitor or something of that nature that didn't work on cell phones to send the telemetry to the doctor's office. We've had the same phone number for twenty-some years now, even though it's technically VOIP now from AT&T. That, the tv, and internet all run through the same equipment.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

zmcnulty posted:

Maybe I am a freak because I can see all them just fine, with depth and detail. Had the entire series of books as a kid.
Somehow I am able to cross my eyes just enough to make them work, so I don't have to stick my nose in the pages either.

I used to be able to see them just fine - granted I had lots of time to practice, managing a Waldenbooks in the "not the good mall" mall. Then I had a TIA which rendered one of my eyes just the slightest bit lazy and I can't see them for poo poo anymore.

I guess Waldenbooks and mall bookstores in general may fit the thread subject, as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can still pulse‐dial on my my landline.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I tried to get a land line installed at my house as a back up to the cell phones. Couldn't get anyone to install a traditional land line, so we basically have VOIP now.

Works, but doesn't have the traditional off the hook sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO_YErq1M-M

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
VoIP also shits itself if an earthquake takes the power out, right?

If you listen to old radio programs, you'll occasionally get an odd joke about not the musicians not being able to play songs because of "Petrillo". This refers to a 2 year musician's strike resulting in no recordings produced from 1942-1944.

Interestingly enough, the recording ban caused the first years of the Jazz BeBop style to go missed. It may have also helped end the Big Band era of music, as vocalists were excluded from the restrictions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FilthyImp posted:

VoIP also shits itself if an earthquake takes the power out, right?
Yep. Old telephones got power over the phone line, which is why you could still have a working phone if your power was out, but if you've got anything other than a basic, old-fashioned, wired landline phone and a copper phone line then you'll also need a power source.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
When characters are on a plane and the flight attendants make them turn off their electronic devices for safety reasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when characters dress up nice to get on a plane, and are served food or drinks without having to pay, and refer to the flight attendant as "stewardess", and have anything other than an utterly miserable cramped awful experience.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Animal House was scored like a serious movie instead of whatever contemporary comedies sounded like, but the combo of comedies afterward doing the same thing and film scores changing in general makes this much less obvious.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
When characters get on a plane.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

And if there was a kid on a plane on TV, he'd usually end up with a free set of pilotwings to pin on his shirt, something I've never experienced in all my life and can only assume happened before I was born.

e: Sometime ago, there was a short-lived TV series about Pan-Am starring Christina Ricci that basically survived on references lost on modern audiences, starting with Pan-Am.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I got a set of pilot’s wings once in like 1988 because I was flying for my first time ever, and I was like 4 years old.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I used to get pilot wings all the time. All the time being the two times I flew in a plane as a child. I never got to see the cockpit though.

The movie Airplane must make no sense to anyone born after 2000. Courtesy phone? Hare Krishnas? Steak or fish?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I used to get pilot wings all the time. All the time being the two times I flew in a plane as a child. I never got to see the cockpit though.

The movie Airplane must make no sense to anyone born after 2000. Courtesy phone? Hare Krishnas? Steak or fish?

Sniffing glue, however, is timeless.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I speak jive.

Also that Barbara Billingsley speaking jive was equally the joke to old white lady speaking jive was.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Krispy Wafer posted:

Smoking or nonsmoking?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

When we flew last year with our 4 year old they gave her little plastic wings. Maybe only certain airlines?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Leperflesh posted:

when characters dress up nice to get on a plane, and are served food or drinks without having to pay, and refer to the flight attendant as "stewardess", and have anything other than an utterly miserable cramped awful experience.

I was floored when I recently watched The Parallax View and there was a scene in which passengers paid for their flight while on board, after takeoff!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

killer crane posted:

When we flew last year with our 4 year old they gave her little plastic wings. Maybe only certain airlines?

Most of them still do that. American, Delta and Alaska have all given my kids wings in the last three years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

I like to cross my eyes slightly such that I see the image with its 3D effect inverted, so the pop-out instead sinks in, and the background pops out.

Wait, is that not... how it works? :psyduck:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was re-watching Naked Gun movie intros and here's a nice one from 2 1/2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BI4F7ZgbHQ

Zsa Zsa Gabor had been convicted a few years earlier for slapping a police officer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I was floored when I recently watched The Parallax View and there was a scene in which passengers paid for their flight while on board, after takeoff!

Airlines were regulated so they couldn't charge more or less than a certain price, so I guess there wasn't any question about what your ticket would cost. Everyone's tickets cost the same.

Which meant airlines had to make a better flying experience since they couldn't compete on price and no one under the age of 30 is ever going to believe that was true.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I mean bear in mind back when flying cost more, every class was first class. They paid for that poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Straight White Shark posted:

Wait, is that not... how it works? :psyduck:

Basically, you can mess with your eyes to view them in two different ways. The intended way is for the image to pop out of the background. Like, if you have a picture of a planet, then the planet pops out of the background, and as if it's hanging on a wall. But you can also tweak your eyes to invert the image, so that the planet would instead recess into the background, as if it's smashed into the wall.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I tried Googling cost of air travel over time and got conflicting information. The best source I found was the following link:

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/AIRFARES/

The cost of an average flight from an American airport has dropped from $500 (in 2020 dollars) in 1995 to $350 now. That's crazy!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

silence_kit posted:

I tried Googling cost of air travel over time and got conflicting information. The best source I found was the following link:

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/AIRFARES/

The cost of an average flight from an American airport has dropped from $500 (in 2020 dollars) in 1995 to $350 now. That's crazy!

One example I found was a flight from NYC to LA was at a minimum $1442 adjusted for inflation. Airlines couldn't charge any less than that. Now it's often under $300.

Also planes don't crash as often now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I saw Hare Krishnas in Stockholm a couple of years ago.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
This book on the history of skyjacking was pretty eye opening to me. Hard to believe how lax security was, especially compared to post 9-11 world.
The Skies Belong to Us

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cascadia Pirate posted:

This book on the history of skyjacking was pretty eye opening to me. Hard to believe how lax security was, especially compared to post 9-11 world.
The Skies Belong to Us

This Boston Globe story goes into one of the game-changing hijackings. This guy isn't interested in going to Cuba. He also has a gun.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The funny thing about TV and movie airplane scenes is that the plane layouts all seem to be stuck in 1995. You see a lot more cushy seats with generous legroom on TV than in real life. That's probably because so many plane scenes are filmed in a studio in LA rather than an actual plane. It would be a logistical nightmare to film onboard something as cramped as an actual modern airplane.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I work on a plane-heavy tv show and thank god our plane scenes are 95% in first class. Nobody wants to dump in a hundred extras on a stage day. Plus for every shot, your hard working set dressers are unbolting rows and rows of seats and rebolting others depending on where the camera and dolly have to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if there are any TV or movie examples of what it takes to get on a plane and fly somewhere for a normal person in 2020. If flying in a plane ever actually becomes less of a hassle (or more), what it means to be a plane passenger would be forgotten in the popular consciousness. Hell, watch enough TV now and you could forget until your next flight.