Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

Why not include the states that have already formed their own unions since the federal government is just completely absent? So far we have three: West Coast Pact, MOM WIKI, and Council of Six. Texas said they're flying alone. I assume that a bunch of other states will join up with the first three at some point, and we'll probably get a Southern Alliance and Mountain Coalition at some point too

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
This is the exact type of emergency that requires a federal government response and not a piecemeal state response. It effects everyone in the country equally, a single state loving it up wrecks everyone else, and the federal government can just print unlimited money to deal with it. It's honestly a perfect example of why you need federalism and yet an enormous population in These United States is incapable of changing their opinions on anything at all ever.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I feel like I missed your joke

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this took me way too long

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stereotype posted:

I feel like I missed your joke
you must feel at a loss to understand it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
god damnit

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I didn't see it until you said something, good for me I guess

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
one thing | two things
-------------------------------
two things | two things

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:golfclap:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
flawless posting style

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

its often hardest on the president

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stereotype posted:

one thing | two things
-------------------------------
red things | blue things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

please rename D&D to this tia

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

or whatever D&D is called now idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
now that i think of it, "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" is not only a wedding gift suggestion but also the four pillars of my comedy schtick

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

now that i think of it, "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" is not only a wedding gift suggestion but also the four pillars of my comedy schtick

Ugh this brings back bad memories of my wedding reception. My MIL was trying to force my wife to do all the traditions and she wasn't having any of it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

Ugh this brings back bad memories of my wedding reception. My MIL was trying to force my wife to do all the traditions and she wasn't having any of it.

We probably can't even have our wedding anymore, but we explicitly were planning on doing as few "wedding" things as possible.

We are considering just not getting married though instead because financially marriage is awful for us.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Like the whole cake smashing thing, finally I smashed my own face into the cake my wife was holding because I was tired of hearing the back and forth between her and her mother about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
instead of a cake we had nine of our friends and family bake a different pie each. the marriage may have failed but ppl still talk about how our wedding was one of the best they ever went to.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My wife made her parents cut back on celebrating so we just had another day after the wedding of celebration instead of multiple but we still like had a каравай and everything

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Stereotype posted:

We probably can't even have our wedding anymore, but we explicitly were planning on doing as few "wedding" things as possible.

We are considering just not getting married though instead because financially marriage is awful for us.

I’m sure your familys wealth manager can sort it out for you

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if there's an inverse relationship between how elaborate your wedding/rings are, and the quality of the ensuing marriage

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the cake smashing thing is stupid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if there's an inverse relationship between how elaborate your wedding/rings are, and the quality of the ensuing marriage

the trope of still-paying-off-the-wedding-bills-after-the-divorce is becoming an increasingly common thing. Read an article on it recently

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

instead of a cake we had nine of our friends and family bake a different pie each. the marriage may have failed but ppl still talk about how our wedding was one of the best they ever went to.

i had a stack of pies instead of a groom's cake because pie is superior

we also had two big things of punch, like the oldschool "a giant cocktail" punch, that ran out inside of the first hour of the reception so everyone was hammered before they started digging into the wine and beer and whatnot, a good time was had by all

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

one of my friends had a pretty nice wedding and later revealed it was fukin $35,000 and like was like for what

another friend took fukin LOANS out for his

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

the cake smashing thing is stupid

there's a good chance your new wife will try to stab you if you gently caress up her makeup doing this btw

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

my parents have apple and cherry trees, and the neighbors have a raspberry bush. i think i'll make more pies this year.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my now wife very clearly warned me against smashing cake in her face

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TOOT BOOT posted:

there is if you do vow renewal ceremonies

which is interesting because divorce rates are lower as you go up in household wealth, and renewal ceremonies are like paying for another wedding every 10 years or whatever

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PCjr sidecar posted:

I’m sure your familys wealth manager can sort it out for you

It's mainly just health insurance that tips the scale, everything else is the same. I loving wish I had a wealth manager, that sounds sweet.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have to have a second wedding at some point but I don’t think we’re going to spend that much

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda funny, I got scammed into buying a service plan on our rings. There was this tiny asian woman with a heavy accent working the counter when I went to pick up the rings and she did the hard sell on the service plan and when I turned it down she accused me of not loving my fiancee enough and I was so flustered about the idea of getting into an argument about it with someone that I could barely understand that I bought the drat service plan

That's like the one time in my life I fell directly into a salesperson's trap

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

one of my friends had a pretty nice wedding and later revealed it was fukin $35,000 and like was like for what

another friend took fukin LOANS out for his

how many people were at the $35k one? if it was insanely large like 500+ people that could easily add up

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've posted about it before but my friend had a wrestling themed wedding, whole ceremony was carried out in a wrestling ring complete with a match. the groomsmen were all in costume, it was a hoot

he even managed to hire the late (as of yesterday...) howard finkel. howard was kind of a mess and possibly slightly hosed up on painkillers, but whatever poo poo was still awesome.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many people were at the $35k one? if it was insanely large like 500+ people that could easily add up

200 and some. it was nice but not north of 30k nice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah that's too much, they must've gotten ripped off a lot more than normal, venue and food maybe

we had a little over 300 people for less than half that, though we were able to do things like supply our own booze instead of being forced into using the venue's bar caterers' sourcing, for example

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apparently I've only been to classy weddings, what's the cake smashing thing

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

apparently I've only been to classy weddings, what's the cake smashing thing

you simply smash the first piece of cake into your partner's face. the boomers did so we "have to" too

(we do not have to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we had a wedding of 50 and our total budget was $10K canadian. we kind of forgot to factor in tax but otherwise it still feels like money well spent. everyone liked the food and said it was one of the better weddings they’ve been too, which is at least kind to lie to my face about like i’m some kind of rear end in a top hat