Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Torquemada posted:

My lasting impression is that it’s the most violent show I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot of shows.

you need to watch Spartacus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We caught up on Black Monday, and tonight Showtime airs the last episode that seems to have been finished before everything shut down (episode 6 out of a planned 10 for Season 2). I have no idea how far along they were with the rest. But drat, it was so much more fun, funnier, and better than I ever would have guessed.

So we switched gears and started binging Happy Endings on Hulu, since it's from the same writer/showrunner David Caspe, with very similar (but toned-down) humor. Also, Caspe's wife Casey Wilson is such a drat delight on both shows. I always enjoyed Happy Endings when I'd catch an episode back in the day, but this is the first time my wife has ever seen it. She doesn't like it as much as Black Monday, and it's a much less ambitious show, but it's silly, simple, entertaining comfort food that makes us laugh, so it's perfect for right now.

It's wild seeing the Russo Brothers are executive producers and directed several episodes. I knew they directed a lot of Community and Arrested Development, but didn't know they had their hands on Happy Endings too. They directed my top three favorite MCU movies, so I'm thrilled they started in good sitcoms and made it as big as anyone can make it in Hollywood.

I'm still making my way through G.I. Joe: Renegades on my own, and still digging it more than I ever would have expected, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 12, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Black Sails has the Long John Silver leg scene and a few Keel Haul's.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Keel haul scene is gross. What a great last season that was.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Just finished season 2 of Happy! on Netflix. Show had some real high highs and some reeeeal low lows but it was fun for what it is. I'd def watch a whole show about Nick's mom. We needed a lot more of her, less imaginary friend puberty subplots and overlong prison rape jokes.

Glad the show ended with the two good villains' arcs sewn up. Blue/Orcus was never fun or compelling and a whole season following up on him would have been an absolute chore, especially in comparison to Sonny and Smoothie.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Banshee, justified, strike back, warrior and the boys all come out like, last decade my dude.
Vikings and last kingdom too.

Banshee, I watched when the first season came out because lots of people here said it was good but it wasn't for me. I saw like 3-4 episodes?

Justified I really want to watch but I just thought it was some western crime. My sister has been watching it and she recommended it as well so after I finish Badlands I will check it out.

Warrior, don't have access to.

The Boys, heard good things but I haven't watched it yet.

Vikings and Last Kingdom seems interesting especially the latter.

But when I meant action I meant more gore over the top action like Spartacus. That's what Into The Badlands reminds me of. Although Spartacus had a way better "plot".

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Justified starts off strong and then dwindles a bit before becoming great again towards the end of the first season. There’s a few episodes in the middle of that first season where they’re still trying to figure out what the show is going to be, but over all it’s worth watching.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season two of Justified may be one of the few perfect seasons of television.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ulio posted:

Banshee, I watched when the first season came out because lots of people here said it was good but it wasn't for me. I saw like 3-4 episodes?

Justified I really want to watch but I just thought it was some western crime. My sister has been watching it and she recommended it as well so after I finish Badlands I will check it out.

Warrior, don't have access to.

The Boys, heard good things but I haven't watched it yet.

Vikings and Last Kingdom seems interesting especially the latter.

But when I meant action I meant more gore over the top action like Spartacus. That's what Into The Badlands reminds me of. Although Spartacus had a way better "plot".

Both banshee and Justified take some time to find their feet but they are absolutely great when they do.not ultra gory but banshee might have the best fight scenes in the history of television.

Preacher as a lot of gory moments, but they also have a lot of character moments and hmmm questionable decisions at times.
I think it's a good show, but starts off slow and it fluctuates wildly between awesome and kinda mediocre.

If you don't mind slapstick comedy with your gory violence , ash Vs evil dead is, well, it's old ash Vs evil dead and a pretty great send-off. It even has Lucretia kicking all kinds of rear end!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still need to finish season three of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

And a shout out to a pretty bonkers show called blood drive, because if you want gore, ohhhhh boy.it absolutely does not stick the landing, but the first 8 episodes are something special.julian slink is a absolutely wonderful villain.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

And a shout out to a pretty bonkers show called blood drive, because if you want gore, ohhhhh boy.it absolutely does not stick the landing, but the first 8 episodes are something special.julian slink is a absolutely wonderful villain.
I enjoyed Blood Drive all the way through. I thought the genre switch per episode was a lot of fun, though I can see why it didn't work for some people. I think I had only seen Colin Cunningham in Falling Skies so I had no idea he had that kind of range, but yeah, Slink is amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blood Drive sticks the landing if you just pretend the last couple of episodes didn't happen and it ends in the place that actually feels right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rewatching Love. I forgot how much I hate the lead two characters. They're just the absolute worst.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I've seen 3 eps and i hate them too. Not sure why you would even rewatch that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They're so bad but the show is still imo mostly enjoyable. They constantly have to deal with the results of their actions, it's not like they get rewarded for being terrible.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 15, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There are some funny moments scattered randomly through watching two insufferably selfish people pretend they're in a healthy relationship. It's just amazing how terrible of a couple they are. They kinda remind me of my buddy and his boyfriend because they're constantly "going through something" and anytime they're together their issues dominate the entire night/event.

Edit:
I feel like one of the writers modeled Mickey off an ex and decided to give her like, no redeeming qualities at all.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 15, 2020

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think we've all known couples like that from time to time. Whenever they're together they're always bickering or full on rowing, whenever they're apart they've got nothing nice to say about each other, and the answer to the inevitable question "so, why are you even together?" is always the same: Oh, we love each other.

It's fundamentally a series about being in love with the idea of being in love, rather than it being anything about the other person specifically. Probably how it got it's name. I could only stomach it for a couple of seasons - people like that annoy me irl, so I figured I didn't want them intruding on my lesiure time too. Took me long enough lol. I was in love with the idea of watching a funny, cool show, rather than anything specific about the show itself.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Watched Fleabag s1 and 2. I think most of my posts are 'good not great' and this was another of those. Maybe the hype of the emmy and globe win had me expecting more. Really not sure how it won best comedy tbh.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I too thought Fleabag was...fine. Funny, and worth watching, but not some amazing achievement. Another case where everyone other than the lead character is more interesting and empathetic. Even when you find out why Fleabag keeps running the store the way she does, it just didn't quite land for me. I found the sister's story much more compelling and Olivia Coleman knocks her role out of the park. Brett Gelman is fantastic at playing a despicable prick.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 15, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Gelman is wonderful. Here's him reading a prescient short story: the iBrain.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Holy poo poo, I don't know how Lodge 49 managed to mix arthurian dream quests with the crushing realities of modern life, but it works. It's weird and upbeat, and I love it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress, take back what I said about the Ozarks.

gently caress episode 9 with Ben and Wendy and their hour loving long drive. I get it-he’s mentally ill and they need to have him killed. I don’t need you to take the whole episode to tell me this.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fleabag owns, actually

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I watched the first two episodes of Another Life on Netflix. What an absolute shitshow of terrible dimensions. I was hate watching it about 15 minutes into the pilot, and I feel like I need to finish it out just so I can see how bad it truly gets.

90% of the actors are either terrible, or they have a really terrible script to work with.
Nothing makes any sense. Oh, there's a huge strange alien artifact that's doing something weird, and we need to send a crew to check out what's going on light years away? Let's staff the ship with a bunch of idiot 20 something's, some of whom don't even seem to know the others. This does not feel like any official organization at all - it's like they took a bunch of kids out of college who were okay with their STEM field, threw them into a spaceship, and said, "Go figure it out."
Who's studying the alien artifact on Earth? No, not a huge team of scientists from all over the world, each an expert in their field, with multiple and varied experiments and attempts to figure this strange, crazy thing out. Nope, just one dude (who's conveniently married to the commander of the spaceship), and his assistant. I saw some other nameless mooks milling about in the background but for all intents and purposes, it's this one dude. With a really lovely beard.
Speaking of lovely beards, what the gently caress is the deal with Xerpa or whatever the hell his name is? Shave your ugly rear end chicken scratch beard, maybe you'll calm down. Jesus.
Media? News organizations? Helicopters and drones and what have you flying all over the alien artifact trying to figure this thing out? Nope, just one media personality who seems to be a commentary on the modern online "influencer", she's the only one who knows the (government? world? military? Who has the authority here, we don't know) isn't telling the people of the world anything. So she goes and makes the worst possible interview attempt on the science guy by mocking him, his wife, his kid. 250 million followers? I mean, I know people like following other repellant people, but some things just strain the imagination.
Two times in two episodes we have the incredibly tired and lovely cliche of: Person A, "Asks tough question." Person B, "Refuses to answer with a tight face that looks like a butthole stuffed with a rotten cucumber." Person A, "YOU JUST ANSWERED MY QUESTION" in a smarmy and poo poo eating voice. God, I hate that poo poo.
My only thought at the end of episode two: "My only regret... is I have... boneitis."

I need to find out how this shitshow ends since this garbage fire is so bad nobody has bothered to summarize the episodes on Wikipedia yet.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

Watched Fleabag s1 and 2. I think most of my posts are 'good not great' and this was another of those. Maybe the hype of the emmy and globe win had me expecting more. Really not sure how it won best comedy tbh.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction as well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Finally getting around to watching Better Off Ted. I don't know why I slept on this show for so long, but it's great.

I also just realized that for a very long time I've thought that the actor who played Ted was the same guy who played Keith on Andy Richter Controls the Universe, but he's not. I guess maybe handsome suited white guys all look the same to me?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took the thread's suggestion on Banshee and holy gently caress I'm loving this.

Just about to finish off the 3rd season and this has been awesome. Really love they are just now getting to the back stories of some of the main characters. Amazing season and series.

And I also started I, Claudius after it was suggested since I just finished Rome. I'm about 6 episodes in and I love it. It fits so perfectly in the mental image of Rome is to me.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Finished all 7 seasons of Ray Donovan. Pretty wild ride.

Finished season 3 of Ozark. Was not expecting that.

Watched the first two episodes of Tiger King. Feel like I'm watching a reality TV show.

New season of Bosch drops on Amazon Prime tonight. Pretty stoked.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Oh nice, thanks for the heads up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Bosch was out last night! We got about halfway into the first episode before crashing.

If you have Spectrum cable, they have some original shows including a new one that looks promising, a Southern mystery-drama set in Mississippi, with Bridget Regan, Josh Hartnett, and Nick Nolte looking and sounding barely alive. The first episode was intriguing enough to continue.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Been watching the Gifted on Hulu. And man, do I loving hate the parents.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I just got through The English Game on Netflix and despite not giving a poo poo about the game itself it was actually pretty good. It gets a bit rough around the edges in the last couple of episodes but it's executed pretty well throughout.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Halt & Catch Fire. Just got to the bit where Gordon & Cameron are playing playing Super Mario Bros, just so :3:

I have to say - and only because I see the two compared a lot (it may have been this thread or maybe the chat thread where I saw it refered to as "a knockoff version of") - I like this show a lot better than Mad Men. Like, it doesn't feel as though it's constantly tapping me on the shoulder to say "hey look, look at how clever I am. See this beautiful symbolism? See how the theme of the episode is expertly woven into every scene?" even though it accomplishes those things as well. Plus Halt has characters which are easier to empathise with and like, which isn't something I absolutely need to have to be able to enjoy watching something, but when bingeing heavily character-driven shows like these it certainly helps.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love that scene! H&CF is one of my favorite shows ever and I just started a rewatch a couple of days ago. I didn't care for Donna too much at first but she became one of my favorites. Toby Huss as Bos is great but the real stars as the seasons progress are Joe's and Cameron's hair.

I've never seen more than the first couple of episodes of Mad Men so I can't compare it to that, but For All Mankind reminds me of H&CF in terms of the strong female characters and fictionalized history.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
H&CF is so drat good. I love how at various points in the serious you will actively love or hate just about every single character. They all have their triumphs (which you will root for) and their moments of petty selfishness or idiocy. They feel so much more genuine than most shows where characters are more clearly a protagonist or antagonist.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the intro is also one of the single best pieces of motion design work ever produced. it's perfect.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

nwin posted:

gently caress, take back what I said about the Ozarks.

gently caress episode 9 with Ben and Wendy and their hour loving long drive. I get it-he’s mentally ill and they need to have him killed. I don’t need you to take the whole episode to tell me this.

As someone who has a bipolar sibling whose disability manifests itself in what any sane person would consider to be self-sabotage, that episode was riveting. They were spot on, especially Ben's word salad free association in the back of the cab.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

As someone who has a bipolar sibling whose disability manifests itself in what any sane person would consider to be self-sabotage, that episode was riveting. They were spot on, especially Ben's word salad free association in the back of the cab.

I’m glad it was spot-on and riveting but it just went on too long. I personally didn’t have any feelings toward him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Mentioned it in the streaming thread, but I'm 3 episodes into the Innocence Project doc on Netflix and its left me all kinds of hosed up.