Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm surprised fire still really fucky in this game. I had to evacuate my house mid cooking because the fire I started in my oven was just so strong that it was damaging me. Cause lord knows I gotta put on my firefighter suit whenever I preheat the oven to 400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Leal posted:

I'm surprised fire still really fucky in this game. I had to evacuate my house mid cooking because the fire I started in my oven was just so strong that it was damaging me. Cause lord knows I gotta put on my firefighter suit whenever I preheat the oven to 400.

If anyone knows how to specifically avoid this - less fuel, using a proper woodburning stove instead of a kitchen stove, or something - I'd love to know, as it's a pain in the arse. My current character was lucky enough to find an atompot early, which has taken so much of the pain out of cooking.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I still haven't figured out how to turn ovens on or whatever and have just resorted to making sloppy joes and what have you via an open fire that is (apparently anyway) just set on a stovetop.

ditto with the woodstoves in the cabins. I guess I should have gathered by the fact that they all start with a plank on the tile that fires don't exactly respect being contained, but you only burn down one two several cabins by accident before you figure that much out.

edit: the last one had a boomer in it too :corona: so silver linings and all

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 18, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Are you (e)xamining the stove tile to light it or are you (a)ctivating a lighter/matchbook/whatever and lighting the tile on fire? The second method is hazardous to your health and house.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Are you (e)xamining the stove tile to light it or are you (a)ctivating a lighter/matchbook/whatever and lighting the tile on fire? The second method is hazardous to your health and house.

I'm personally doing the latter, I think I found out the problems with the other pretty quickly.

Being next to the fire for any length of time definitely superheats you though, to the point where I generally extinguish it once I'm done cooking if I'm going to be reading or crafting.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Albany has been cleared :toot:

Dispatched like 14 zombies, a rot-weiler and a dog, and three stupid coyotes that just had to jump in whenever I pulled zombies out of the city.

Fairly good place! And the garden turned out be a little farm with a greenhouse and water tanks.

I'm probably gonna use the SE house as my main since it has the best basement.

Lots of storage, crafting stuff and even a water purifier.

The NE house has a very empty basement so this will probably become my misc/trash storage area

And I'm never going into the NW basement again without having a huge gun :stare:

Well now I'm going to spend hours looting and organizing said loot and then agonizing over how I set everything up and hrrnngg

Okay be cool. Bandage up, get to the car and drive back to the cell tower first to recover a bit. Maybe even treat yourself with some nice hotdogs or burritos

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Two wolves jumped me on the way to the car and now I'm hosed up and bleeding from two limbs. RIGHT AFTER I USED MY LAST BANDAGES! All I got are these five pieces of gauze...

I made it but gently caress me that was way too close

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 18, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So you discovered that gauze is the highest quality bandage type?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is it? It only had a 50% to stop the bleed and I failed twice. I had a bleed before and the bandages that came with my first aid kit had 89% chance to stop bleeding

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

(e)xamining the oven only gives the option of "get items" or "start a fire". The latter just uses a matchbook or a lighter to do it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What's your preferred container for cattail jelly? I didn't realize it needs one and now the first batch I made is on the floor :doh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tin Tim posted:

What's your preferred container for cattail jelly? I didn't realize it needs one and now the first batch I made is on the floor :doh:

Gallon jugs are pretty common. You've probably found tons of em full of bleach or ammonia, just dump one out, you don't need 8 gallons of bleach.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Gallon jugs are pretty common. You've probably found tons of em full of bleach or ammonia, just dump one out, you don't need 8 gallons of bleach.
Yeah I have some around. I assume I can then pour it into smaller containers to keep my load lighter for travelling?

Also, what range of tools should I carry to dismantle furniture I don't need? I'm currently moving the loot in my little town to a central spot and I see tons of furniture I want to remove. Things like mirrors, random tables, sinks and so on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A sledgehammer solves all furniture removal needs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

In today's world you need all the bleach, don't forget to take back any toilet paper you find back to base.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rynoto posted:

A sledgehammer solves all furniture removal needs.
Man I wish I had one! I jammed a gunsafe and need to bash it down now :(

I have a multitool, screwdriver and a hammer which I assume should be good enough to dismantle most things but I'm not sure if it will work for stuff like bathtubs, showers, sinks or old machinery.

Is there a way to move heavy corpses? I'm trying to get all the dead zombies to a small hobo camp outside of town to not attract anything to my actual houses. Might also try to burn them there at some point. But they are too heavy to lift with str 10 and I dread to have to butcher them all and move the pieces

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
(Shift)G to drag? Same thing to stop dragging too.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hammer and screwdriver will deconstruct most things. If you want a hobo sledgehammer you can craft a homewrecker, which is just scrap metal tied (presumably really well) onto a pipe.

For plumbing fixtures and mirrors it's overkill though. You can't deconstruct them but you can smash them to bits with pretty much anything that does bashing damage. They'll give you copper tubing and ceramic shards which are both pretty useful.

Edit: Drag is mainly for constructions/ vehicles. You can use / to just haul a bunch of stuff (including corpses)

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 18, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Edit: Drag is mainly for constructions/ vehicles. You can use / to just haul a bunch of stuff (including corpses)
Yeah drag only works for furniture and bigger things but does not recognize corpses on the ground. I can select the corpse while standing on it with the / menu but I can't find out how to set a destination for it other than my inventory

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Get a trolley, butcher the corpse, put everything in the trolley, dump wherever you want. with the advanced inventory thing you can move everything from one target tile to another with a single button press.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I tried shoving a minifridge set up and was told it collides with movement code :confused:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

with the advanced inventory thing you can move everything from one target tile to another with a single button press.
Okay but how exactly do you do that? When I open it it gives me two screens. The left is the tile I'm standing on and the right is my inventory. So I can only move things from the tile into my inventory or from my inventory into the tile. Looking at the controls on the wiki also doesn't help me here

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
From what I remember you use the numpad keys to specify the tiles you want to use. Whichever screen you've got highlighted, press a numpad key to pick a tile in the corresponding direction with the 5 key being yourself, then switch screens and specify where you want that to go.

You can use this method to move a huge amount of stuff around easily, though opening the menu for every other tile is a pain.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

From what I remember you use the numpad keys to specify the tiles you want to use.
:toot:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah drag only works for furniture and bigger things but does not recognize corpses on the ground. I can select the corpse while standing on it with the / menu but I can't find out how to set a destination for it other than my inventory

Whoops, use \ instead to haul everything in the square you are standing on.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Glad to have helped, the advanced inventory system is so useful in this game I could not imagine not using it.

It looks like they've gutted huge number of default mods out of the game, all I can see that I want are magiclysm, aftershock and generic guns. Where can I get stuff like the extra vehicle packs and the other good, gently caress realism mods?

edit: Actually WTF it looks like they've obsoleted the vehicle additions mod???

Carcer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 18, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

I tried shoving a minifridge set up and was told it collides with movement code :confused:

And upon leaving and returning, the engine part of the "vehicle" is now in the brick wall. And then leaving and returning a second time had it move up a space.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Carcer posted:

Glad to have helped, the advanced inventory system is so useful in this game I could not imagine not using it.

It looks like they've gutted huge number of default mods out of the game, all I can see that I want are magiclysm, aftershock and generic guns. Where can I get stuff like the extra vehicle packs and the other good, gently caress realism mods?

edit: Actually WTF it looks like they've obsoleted the vehicle additions mod???

You should still be able to add it via the launcher

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

Glad to have helped
Yeah posters itt have been super helpful! Fringe games like this usually have a big entry barrier and it's very nice to not have to bash against it or read wikis for hours

Next question :v:

So the basement of my house has a water heater with some clean water in it and a purifier next to it. But I haven't been able to interact with the purifier in any way. Is it just a prop or can I actually make it work?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've made an inhouse kitchen and minifridge vehicle but there is a slight problem: Despite the engine being open air and outside the house, all the exhaust is being routed straight into the kitchen. How do I get that to route back outside?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Leal posted:

I've made an inhouse kitchen and minifridge vehicle but there is a slight problem: Despite the engine being open air and outside the house, all the exhaust is being routed straight into the kitchen. How do I get that to route back outside?

You should be able to add a muffler or exhaust or something that will tell the game where the exhaust on your vehicle should appear, I believe. You can (could? It’s been a while since I played) for cars, at least, and service station vehicles are just cars without any car.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BlondRobin posted:

You should be able to add a muffler or exhaust or something that will tell the game where the exhaust on your vehicle should appear, I believe. You can (could? It’s been a while since I played) for cars, at least, and service station vehicles are just cars without any car.

Turns out installing the muffler on the same spot as the engine itself doesn't work :downs:

Disregard, smoke is still coming out the bottom end.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Leal posted:

Turns out installing the muffler on the same spot as the engine itself doesn't work :downs:

Disregard, smoke is still coming out the bottom end.

Hm, it may not work if the car doesn’t have a body to make an interior or exterior. I’ve never used engines on service stations. Sorry it didn’t help!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Googling around, I guess they changed it so smoke comes out the bottom end of the blueprint? Which is dumb cause that would mean I have to move some furniture around and get another 20 or so frames to run the "vehicle" all the way to the southern window.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah posters itt have been super helpful! Fringe games like this usually have a big entry barrier and it's very nice to not have to bash against it or read wikis for hours

Next question :v:

So the basement of my house has a water heater with some clean water in it and a purifier next to it. But I haven't been able to interact with the purifier in any way. Is it just a prop or can I actually make it work?

Try picking it up and "a"pplying it to a stack of water. The water might have to be dirty for it to work, like water from a river or toilet.

Leal posted:

Googling around, I guess they changed it so smoke comes out the bottom end of the blueprint? Which is dumb cause that would mean I have to move some furniture around and get another 20 or so frames to run the "vehicle" all the way to the southern window.

I think the smoke comes out wherever the muffler is installed, so you'd still have to run a bunch of frames somewhere but you could just install a muffler there instead of moving the whole engine.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 18, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Left of this spot is where the engine is located, which has another muffler inside of it.

Here I am at the bottom side, and that smoke is coming from the kitchen unit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A note on advanced inventory controls: A will target all nine squares around and under you, D will target a vehicle you're dragging (shopping cart, wheelbarrow, tricycle with big rig hauling space welded on), and you can hit a number again to switch between nearby vehicle storage and items on the ground in that tile. S will let you sort items by various criteria, I tend to use category sort.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Discovering Category Sort was about as game changing as figuring out how to run, for me.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

I just moved my whole base in 20 minutes IRL using "\" to stack everything by a flatbed truck and "/" to drop everything in until I reached capacity. That would have been HOURS doing it the old fashioned way

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

Try picking it up and "a"pplying it to a stack of water. The water might have to be dirty for it to work, like water from a river or toilet.
Nah, doesn't work. Pretty sure that it's just a prop

I have finished setting up in my little town and got my crafting area and storage sorted. Kinda in the air about what to do next. I mean I did some reading and a few small crafts. Not really hurting for food or drink either so I could hang out and grind a few more days. I'm not really confident enough in my current skills to go back into the actual town and loot there. Probably going to to try to find some small farms or whatever to raid first. I did scout a dump near me but it had a big group of crawling zombies out front and more commotion in the back. And while those crawlers don't seem that dangerous I'm not keen on fighting through them with my crude sword. Might have to craft some kind of spear to deal with that.

Also I learned that the homewrecker sadly isn't strong enough to dent a gunsafe. Praying for a sledge continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hmm... shall I propel my APC using a 6L V12 engine or a 38L gas turbine?

Edit: Decided to go with 'both'.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 19, 2020