Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

what are Caliban and Cibola references to?

Caliban is a character in Shakespeare's Tempest, I don't remember what he did though. Cibola not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Caliban is a character in Shakespeare's Tempest, I don't remember what he did though. Cibola not sure.

One of the seven cities of gold

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isnt cibola something to do with a city of gold or something

Edit yeah what he said

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Caliban is a hybrid human/monster. His name has become basically a metonym for "tragic monstrous offspring of parents he loves/hates"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I'm currently reading Abaddon's Gate and I have to say that the show versions of Ashford and Drummer are sorely missed. Obviously I watched the show forst, but it feels like a gaping hole where these characters should be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The show Ashford is so much better than the book version. Maybe the best character revision they've done.

I like that they've been willing to alter characters. Amos is basically the same on the page as on screen. Ashford is entirely different.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Cibola was the Spanish name for the Hawikuh Ruins (different names from different cultures!) and the initial Spanish arrivals were killed by the native Zuni (aha!) and the church built there was repeatedly burned down (whoa!) until eventually the entire settlement was abandoned, the dreams of gold and reality of conflict leading to nothing in the end.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Sammus posted:

Yeah book 4 is weak compared to the rest of them, but not overall terrible. Make sure to read the short stories they've released too, because they definitely add to the overall story.

Seriously, what the hell was with book 4?

No, Elvi, you just need dick.
Makes sense, I need that James Holden dick.
No, any dick will do. Look I'm right here.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Seriously, what the hell was with book 4?

No, Elvi, you just need dick.
Makes sense, I need that James Holden dick.
No, any dick will do. Look I'm right here.

Considering Ive seen Season 4, am I safe to skip Book 4 altogether if its that bad?

Grand Fromage posted:

The show Ashford is so much better than the book version. Maybe the best character revision they've done.

I like that they've been willing to alter characters. Amos is basically the same on the page as on screen. Ashford is entirely different.

Im really not feeling book Ashford and whatever amalgamation of characters in place of Drummer. And was Bull cut from the show altogether, I dont remember him?

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2020

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

Considering Ive seen Season 4, am I safe to skip Book 4 altogether if its that bad?

It does a little bit better job of showing weird alien poo poo than the show's budget was capable of.

Honestly, Elvi's stuff wasn't that bad tbh (it's still the worst part of the book)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TommyGun85 posted:

Im really not feeling book Ashford and whatever amalgamation of characters in place of Drummer. And was Bull cut from the show altogether, I dont remember him?

Show Drummer at this point is a combo of Sam, Bull, book Drummer, and I think someone else but I forget. Book Ashford is just a panicky rear end in a top hat and sucks.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Theres more weird alien poo poo and more robo miller

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's also a bunch of stuff in orbit that got cut.

It's not a bad book, it's just divisive because it is very different than the rest of the series. But you already know that it's a planet bound space western since you've seen season 4.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Book 4 is great, read it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I agree. I think every book has steadily improved as Ty became a better writer and they got better at working together, Leviathan Wakes is the bottom of the series. And that bottom is still pretty fun.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TommyGun85 posted:

There's enough differences between the show and the books that I wouldn't skip any of them if you're reading through.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The worst book in the series is easily number 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The worst book in the series is easily number 6.

Was that the one with the rebellion on Medina Station? If so then I agree.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Was that the one with the rebellion on Medina Station? If so then I agree.

I think that's book seven? Books five and six were the ones that felt like one book, split in two.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Has this also become the spoiler thread?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That usually happens between seasons

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Book people just can't keep it in the book thread

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Antimony's Crysalis

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Cojawfee posted:

Book people just can't keep it in the book thread

It's revenge for the TV people who go to the book threads every so often to tell us that the TV show is better.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

TommyGun85 posted:

You can skip it, but you'll be missing out on the "alien lizard that launches its guts at people" plot element, which was cut for budget. Also, the book doesn't make a distinction between Miller and the Investigator. That's kind of a show thing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You can skip it, but you'll be missing out on the "alien lizard that launches its guts at people" plot element, which was cut for budget. Also, the book doesn't make a distinction between Miller and the Investigator. That's kind of a show thing.

It's been a hot sec since I read the book but I think it's implied that there is a distinction in the books, the interstitial space magic scenes seemed to be him breaking free

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sarern posted:

It's revenge for the TV people who go to the book threads every so often to tell us that the TV show is better.
But the TV show is better. Obviously. Like, does anyone seriously think otherwise?

The books have some neat background details and some things are prohibitively expensive to do in the show (like the weird looking belters), but the books really feel like first draft of the show's story.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Eiba posted:

But the TV show is better. Obviously. Like, does anyone seriously think otherwise?

The books have some neat background details and some things are prohibitively expensive to do in the show (like the weird looking belters), but the books really feel like first draft of the show's story.

I do, with the exception of book one, but I don't see the need to start internet arguments over it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Books and their show are both great in their own way. Which one is better is kinda of a pointless argument. Yes, there are certain do-overs in the show that are improvements. But the show leaves out entire parts and characters. I would say if you are a show watcher who wants more Expanse, that's waiting for you in the books. I discovered the show midish season 2. Binged through to the current airing and then did the week wait to finish up 2. Then I wanted more. So I started reading the books from the beginning. At that time 6 was out and 7 was eight months away. I enjoyed each one of them, even 4.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Eiba posted:

The show is better, by far, for most things, but the awful pacing and SFX design of the first two seasons really fucks the story in a way that the books don't.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Leviathan Wakes' storytelling is inexplicably weird/bad at points. Well, I say inexplicably, but it's because it's all obviously based on the PBP RPG outline. The show tells the same story in a much more interesting fashion. The worst you lose from the books are, like, some nice character moments that aren't in the series episodes. I'd love to see someone make a case for the books over the TV series but it'd be a difficult argument to make. My Let's Read over in Book Barn is almost done with the first novel, so, now's the time!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Why would you want one over the other when you can have both?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Yuuuuuuup

The show isn't better than the books, the books aren't better than the show

Except for Ashford, yeah, show Ashford is best Ashford

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Yuuuuuuup

The show isn't better than the books, the books aren't better than the show

Except for Ashford, yeah, show Ashford is best Ashford

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

I've greatly enjoyed both and wouldn't hesitate to recommend people who've only seen the show to give the books a try.

As enjoyable as the books are, I think the show's doing a better job with the story. As someone who likes the books, I was surprised that there'd be pushback to the idea that the show is an improvement on the books.

But I didn't mean to imply one was good and the other was bad, or that you should chose only one of them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

sorry but they did this man dirty w/ this scene

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

I wouldn't skip it, just because some of the characters from book 4 show up later in important roles. You've already seen the season so you've been introduced to what Holden describes as "the bullet" which was the weird thing at the end that looked kinda like a mini black hole

Those are the only important takeaways in book 4. New characters who are important later, and our first glimpse at the technology/physics-bending-poo poo used by whatever killed the race that built the ring.

By all means, read the book. Just because it's the weakest in the series does not mean it's bad.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the books do a much better job of showing both weightlessness/variable gravity and time. The first is obviously budget related but they spend a lot of time talking about zero g safety precautions and operations and it's just kind of matter of fact and a part of life and it's pretty neat. Similarly everything seems like it takes a lot longer in the books and show the sheer size of space way better. The show solar system feels very small. Also, and also budget related, but both the power armor and the belter physique are better in the book. So from an overall general worldbuilding feeling, I think the book does it better, but the show does some things wonderfully and better than the book too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Books are an artistic expression of a small number of people, namely the writer(s). It is a more pure form of expression. Film is an artistic expression by a great many more people, and so all those individual artists attempt to bring something of their own to the table. And that means a bunch of highly experienced character actors have an opportunity to run roughshod over every scene they are cast in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They time consuming nature of space travel works well in book form. you can make a tense story about ships hurtling through the black across miles upon miles of distance wheree youve got weeks to go out running the bad guys to friendly territory in a book. it doesnt translate well to TV. they could use some little 8 weeks later cards or whatever but i think it would distract the audiences who arent as familiar with the travel times.