Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe on babby difficulty mode...

For Carlos any time you encounter a single zombie, you can open up with a counterpunch to knock them on their rear end, then when they sit up, tap again to shoulder them back over, stab twice while backing up, shoulder them again, repeat until dead. It'd not doable when there's more than one but when you can single them out it saves a lot of ammo.

okay but you were just complaining that doing this on hardcore took way too long and was tedious so which is it?
just shoot the bastards,the game gives you more ammo than you'll ever need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sharkopath posted:

I played Re4 for the second time this last week and it still rules and is excellently playable. A remake that unlocked the controls would be an entirely new game that could be better but could also be worse because of how interlocked all the game design decisions of 4 are. 4's a rather deliberately paced and tactical game that derives the hectic action from enclosing the player in environments that are more often cramped than not and then surrounding the player with enemies that are also slow and deliberate but deadly if you don't manage them properly. The controls take some getting used to but they also greatly contribute to that claustrophobic high pressure feeling that is the game moment to moment. Leon can reposition for better advantage in combat but he can't dance around enemies easily. You start messing with variables and I think the game does have a chance to fall apart. If leon is more agile and more easily able to navigate the environment it means the slow dread of groups of enemies approaching you is lessened unless the enemies are also made more agile. At that point I'd argue modifying the game that much makes it a different experience.
I won't argue with you that it wouldn't affect the balance and that this wouldn't also lend a somewhat different sort of feel to the game, but I'm not sure where you are taking ideas like "slow dread of approaching enemies" from. When a group of Ganados was approaching me and trying to jump across crates floating in a river, my reaction was less one of dread more to the tune of "hey, I can make them fall into the river! *plink* *plop* *plink* *plop* *plink* *plop*..."

The gameplay of RE4 is certainly an large part of the experience, but I think the mood and the setting are much more important to making it the game it is. I think you're overstating that and I can't imagine that it would be ruined by letting you slowly shuffle back and forth instead of being rooted to the ground. Many of the games that followed it managed fine. It would take some adjustments, of course, but I think you can have a good Resident Evil 4 even with modernized controls.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there is no slow dread of approaching ganados because they all immediately sprint into melee distance and then conveniently forget they're allowed to move toward you

edit: i hesitate to say this unless i am forgetting something other than the three regenerators you fight in the entire game but i dont think i would ever use "slow dread" to describe any aspect of RE4

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 18, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Augus posted:

okay but you were just complaining that doing this on hardcore took way too long and was tedious so which is it?

Especially as Carlos, because the whole time they're stocking you up for the horde section at the end of his part.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

sigher posted:

Especially as Carlos, because the whole time they're stocking you up for the horde section at the end of his part.

The horde section itself also has way more ammo than you'll ever need, considering the zombies there take like 5 bullets each to kill. The knife is for testing/finishing off floor zombies and that's it; Just Shoot Things.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DanielCross posted:

While this is a neat theory, Umbrella Chronicles has a scenario that details exactly how Wesker got out. Long story short, he was totally winging it while testing out his new powers, kept getting side tracked by Lisa Trevor, and ultimately made it out the front door with seconds to spare.
He could still "be saved" by Rebecca afterward. :colbert:

rabidsquid posted:

there is no slow dread of approaching ganados because they all immediately sprint into melee distance and then conveniently forget they're allowed to move toward you

edit: i hesitate to say this unless i am forgetting something other than the three regenerators you fight in the entire game but i dont think i would ever use "slow dread" to describe any aspect of RE4
Yeah, I think the last time I experienced "slow dread" was in RE1.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

The twitchy ones, the Iron Maidens, those freaked me the gently caress out. But yeah, there is really no other part of the game that is "scary" in a horror game sense. The village fight is frenetic as hell and will have you panicking your first time through, but there is also nothing slow about it, at all.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That's part of the fun of RE4. The first few minutes are setting you up for a tense but violent Italian horror movie but then it pulls the rug out from under you and goes "Psyche! We're doing Gymkata!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The twitchy ones, the Iron Maidens, those freaked me the gently caress out. But yeah, there is really no other part of the game that is "scary" in a horror game sense. The village fight is frenetic as hell and will have you panicking your first time through, but there is also nothing slow about it, at all.

I wouldn't agree with that at all.

The game does a good job of building up dread over new and strange encounters, especially early on. A major issue is that once you know how to play the game those things don't really remain because you've seen the trick already.It's harder to be scared of being stalked by a predator/alien hybrid monster when you know you can rocket launcher it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That seems more like a general rule of life. If rocket launcher didn't solve your problem, you didn't use enough rocket launcher.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

That seems more like a general rule of life. If rocket launcher didn't solve your problem, you didn't use enough rocket launcher.

Play Alien: Isolation, it doesn't matter that you have the Flamethrower and a ton of fuel for it, that fucker will always get your palms sweating even if you have the means of repelling it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean 99% of multiplayer games wither on the vine, so I agree with you in principle, but it's sad to see a game with some potential take a big old dump. Especially because the concept of "Resident Evil Mastermind torments four dorks with traps, zombos, and BOWs" is awesome.

The worst part is that it kind of feels good until you actually play it. I played the tutorials and was like "oh wow this actually kind of looks and feels like RE. Kind of reminded me of Revelations with a bit of the remakes thrown in, so I thought I might be on board. Then after a few rounds I couldn't delete it off my hard drive quick enough. Felt like it was made by people with a good idea and no idea how to execute it well.

It seems like maybe there's an OK game in there somewhere. Like, some people might really latch on to it and play it for a long time and it becomes a cult thing, I dunno. But it's so incredibly boring and uninviting when you are trying to learn it, and the fact that the game doesn't even try to balance the grind is incredibly off putting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

I mean it was mainly one specific zombie that took 39 stabs when the rest have all taken half that, they have wildly varying hitpoints for sure.

Of course now I'm up against pale heads which I'm pretty sure can't actually be knifed to death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

sigher posted:

Play Alien: Isolation, it doesn't matter that you have the Flamethrower and a ton of fuel for it, that fucker will always get your palms sweating even if you have the means of repelling it.
Won't hear me arguing. They're very different games, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

I played Re4 for the second time this last week and it still rules and is excellently playable. A remake that unlocked the controls would be an entirely new game that could be better but could also be worse because of how interlocked all the game design decisions of 4 are. 4's a rather deliberately paced and tactical game that derives the hectic action from enclosing the player in environments that are more often cramped than not and then surrounding the player with enemies that are also slow and deliberate but deadly if you don't manage them properly. The controls take some getting used to but they also greatly contribute to that claustrophobic high pressure feeling that is the game moment to moment. Leon can reposition for better advantage in combat but he can't dance around enemies easily. You start messing with variables and I think the game does have a chance to fall apart. If leon is more agile and more easily able to navigate the environment it means the slow dread of groups of enemies approaching you is lessened unless the enemies are also made more agile. At that point I'd argue modifying the game that much makes it a different experience.

A 4 remake could be cool but I think 4 as a game is such a right time right place right team dream that it's unlikely a 2 year dev cycle would not only capture most of it but surpass it.

You aren't wrong about any of this, but this is the thing. You can't dance around enemies in other RE games either. Being able to inch around while shooting just makes a game feel better to play because it's not at odds with every other shooter out there. Do you think enemies in RE2 or 3 remakes are less threatening than RE4 for this? And if it does break the balance to some extent, could it not be dealt with by some tiny changes like slightly more aggressive or harder to hit enemies? There's a reason the zombies in RE2/3's heads bob around so much.

And in the end static shooting in an RE4 remake is just a pipe dream. Releasing a game that controls like that in 2020 would put off the vast majority of newcomers, disappoint a large percentage of RE fans, cause it to get panned critically... all to appease a small number of RE fans that are extremely adverse to change. They aren't going to make a game that alienates the greater population, to appeal to a pretty niche audience of people who love games with ancient controls. It's just not realistic at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zero VGS posted:

I mean it was mainly one specific zombie that took 39 stabs when the rest have all taken half that, they have wildly varying hitpoints for sure.

Of course now I'm up against pale heads which I'm pretty sure can't actually be knifed to death.

Enemy health in these remakes can vary, there's also a dynamic difficulty system in play that you don't see, but the better you do (the more enemies you kill without taking damage) the harder the game gets and I believe this effects enemy HP as well.

Cardiovorax posted:

Won't hear me arguing. They're very different games, though.

True.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alien Isolation rules. One of the most underrated games of this generation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sucks we'll never see a sequel because it didn't sell 2 billion copies like SEGA expected it to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was a dark few years there, where publishers were publicly announcing that if their games didn't sell outlandish numbers of copies, no sequel would be made. Right up there with when they tried to hose people for buying used copies of games by locking basic content behind DLC passes.

RIP Alien Isolation you deserved a sequel.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
After Gearbox defrauded SEGA with the Aliens: Colonial Marines debacle I can see them being a bit sour on that franchise.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

What if Krauser shows up

Unlikely. It's been a long time

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
“go back and replay re4, you’ll see what a terrible game it is”

“Actually I did, it’s still excellent and here’s how its design helps it achieve its goals:”

“ridiculous! Why even bother having a discussion if you’re going to engage in bad faith”

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"go back and replay re4, you'll see that it can actually be improved upon in several ways" is what was actually said, you drooling idiot

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Bonaventure posted:

“ridiculous! Why even bother having a discussion if you’re going to engage in bad faith”

Bonaventure posted:

it’s because you suck OP

it is a mystery

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

you think enemies in RE2 or 3 remakes are less threatening than RE4 for this?

I think you're missing the point by asking this question. The point is not that RE4's enemies are perfect and cannot be bettered, but that the way you fight them and the places you fight them in are specifically tailored around how the movement and aiming controls work. The same is true of the enemies in RE2 and 3, which are designed around a very, very different moving style. They're technically both third-person shooters, but there's a lot of variety within that genre.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

RE4's gameplay can't be "improved" by making it a different experience. You might say that it's more fun, but at a certain point it stops being "RE4's gameplay", much like how RE2 1998's gameplay is fundamentally not the same thing as RE2 2019's gameplay, even if a lot of the core concepts have still been carried over.

e: For another example, you could try to just change the movement without changing everything else - the RE1 remake's rereleases did that, and the new movement style makes running away from zombies with the stick controls a fundamentally different experience. Without changing the level and enemy design to suit the new aiming mechanic, it feels like a cheat, or an extra feature awkwardly bolted onto a game in which it doesn't belong.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cargohills posted:

RE4's gameplay can't be "improved" by making it a different experience. You might say that it's more fun, but at a certain point it stops being "RE4's gameplay", much like how RE2 1998's gameplay is fundamentally not the same thing as RE2 2019's gameplay, even if a lot of the core concepts have still been carried over.
That's hairsplitting. You can have a game that is still Resident Evil 4 in all the senses that matter and still improves on some of the more impractical things about it. I can tell you I would not miss the quicktime fights and think that the game would be improved by getting rid of them.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

All the senses that matter, apart from everything about the moment to moment gameplay of moving around and shooting zombies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cargohills posted:

All the senses that matter, apart from everything about the moment to moment gameplay of moving around and shooting zombies.
If I give you that gameplay and put you in a white box full of enemies with a mute, blank mannequin to control it also isn't Resident Evil 4, so yes, there are things about the game that matter other than the moment to moment gameplay.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm not sure what point you think you're making there. Things other than those gameplay mechanics are component pieces of the game, yes. But gameplay... is also one of those pieces.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The point is that you can make small improvements to the controls without having it suddenly be a different game. The difference between classic Resident Evil 2 and RE2make is obviously massive, it's fair to call those different games on a very basic level. It's basically a redesign of everything about it. REmake and Resident Evil 1 are still very much the same game, though, and that it had balance issues caused by the new movement controls doesn't really do anything to change that. "It's not the same game because it's not exactly identical" is a useless statement.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Resident Evil 1 and REmake are not the same game. They are different games with many similarities. Differences include: every graphical asset, the voice acting, the level design, the structure, and some gameplay mechanics.

e: And if the "small improvements to the controls" are made without fundamentally changing the rest of the gameplay to fit, they are poo poo changes. REmake as originally made includes many small changes, and the game is based around these changes - they didn't just plop in crimson heads with no other thought. As mentioned already in this thread, the Ganados act the way they do because that's how it worked with the movement mechanics. If you changed the movement without changing the Ganados, they'd be comically easy to defeat.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cargohills posted:

Resident Evil 1 and REmake are not the same game. They are different games with many similarities. Differences include: every graphical asset, the voice acting, the level design, the structure, and some gameplay mechanics.
You're not technically wrong about that, well, not about that part of your post, anyway. I just don't think it's a helpful way to look at it, you know what I mean? They also have the same basic gameplay, the same game rules, nearly all the same enemies, take place in the same location and setting, feature the same characters, and have the same basic plot. It's a different and modernized take on the same game concept, but that's why it's called a remake.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 18, 2020

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Crimson Heads and self defense items alone are a pretty big departure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
cosign on Alien Isolation being awesome.

I'd like to see them apply the formula to other properties. poo poo like Terminator, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street...I dunno. It's straight up one of the scariest gaming experiences I've ever had and I'd love a sequel.

Surprised there's never been a NOES game. You could probably make something pretty wild. Sorry for being off topic.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Alien Isolation was recently added to Game Pass. What's the best difficulty to play that on?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm definitely more stressed out by normal ganados than I am Regenerators. They're one of the least threatening enemies in the game and you never face them in mixed groups of multiple enemies like you do ganados.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Alien Isolation was recently added to Game Pass. What's the best difficulty to play that on?

Hard is "Alien Isolation The Way It Was Meant To Be Played!" to borrow Halo's phrasing. I think it used to be the recommended difficulty at launch but they changed that when they added extra hard and easy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Surprised there's never been a NOES game. You could probably make something pretty wild. Sorry for being off topic.

Actually there's an NES game and also a Freddy mode in Dead by Daylight that does some trippy stuff but nothing that you would actually want from that kind of game.
:goonsay:

Evil Within 2 actually does a lot of stuff in that vein since it's literally a game about being trapped in a nightmare. That game is a trip and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

You're not technically wrong about that, well, not about that part of your post, anyway. I just don't think it's a helpful way to look at it, you know what I mean? They also have the same basic gameplay, the same game rules, nearly all the same enemies, take place in the same location and setting, feature the same characters, and have the same basic plot. It's a different and modernized take on the same game concept, but that's why it's called a remake.
Yeah, I agree with all this. None of the individual elements break the rules of RE1. The whole gameplay interaction of the crimson heads is probably the biggest difference, but is in essence just melding the basic rules of RE gameplay into something greater than the sum of its parts: the threat level posed by them pushing the necessity of weighing long-term route planning vs. short term inventory management, and how this relates to the weighing of speed vs. safety. I think that's why they're such a strong part of the remake, because they interact with all core aspects of traditional RE gameplay.

Anyway, to bring the discussion back to a potential remake of RE4, what do people think are the core aspects of RE4? Would it still be RE4 if you kept the same story and art direction, but the gameplay was changed to that of the RE1 remake? What if you essentially took RE3 gameplay and the far more serious tone of the remakes, dropping midget Napoleon and his magic castle in favor of some dark wet dungeon filled with regenerators and iron maidens? How much can you change before it becomes something else?