Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The first shot has been fired. Begun the blowhard wars have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Not the first time someone has looked toward Rian Johnson and demanded to know Y.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ree-Anne is the only way my brain can say it, like someone copied the VHS tape of the name Lianne one too many times.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

It was a long time before I actually saw a picture or video of Rian Johnson, so I'd assumed he was a woman and it was a simplified spelling of Rhianne.

I suppose you could say my expectations... were subverted.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

TheKingofSprings posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, Palpatine should've been legitimately just a ghost in some kind of soul jar fuelling a bunch of old Sith weapons out of sheer hatred and he's only beaten when people work together to cut him off from the Force

I just got to this thread and wanted to say that this is basically the plot of Ghostbusters II only with slime and happy thoughts.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just saw a tweet saying that the film is paced like a child breathlessly recounting the events of a film to their mom, and that's probably the best way I've ever seen it put.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dialhforhero posted:

I just got to this thread and wanted to say that this is basically the plot of Ghostbusters II only with slime and happy thoughts.

Any movie would be improved by animating a giant statue of liberty and stepping on a cop car

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the giant palpatine floating head hologram..... BUT ITS REAL

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
As much as I like making fun of how slapdash and rudderless the sequel trilogy is, I have to admit that there's another part of me that is deeply depressed by what was done to the characters who were my favorite heroes growing up.

That the ST ends with the Solo/Skywalker line completely destroyed with absolutely nothing to show for it bums me out, man.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres this listless woman who has shown no interests or motivation of her own whose squatting in a dead skywalkers house then stole their name and lives as a NEET

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

SolarFire2 posted:

As much as I like making fun of how slapdash and rudderless the sequel trilogy is, I have to admit that there's another part of me that is deeply depressed by what was done to the characters who were my favorite heroes growing up.

That the ST ends with the Solo/Skywalker line completely destroyed with absolutely nothing to show for it bums me out, man.

I think what I resonated most with in Last Jedi was the balm it was putting on this. Be your own Luke Skywalker. Learn from and appreciate those who have come before and then surpass them.

But then RoS was literally “you are nothing without the past physically manipulating you in every single way”

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

there is another

*sheev slides into frame*

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

In the Swedish subtitles for a Ghostbusters 2 DVD, when Ray says the slime feeds on bad vibes "like a cop in a donut factory", the translator misheard it as "like a cock in a donut factory" but then apparently thought that's a bit obscene and softened it to "Like the wang in the donut factory".

Not once during the process did they stop to think if this saying made any sense. What would a wang even be doing in a donut factory that it's so excited about? Cause there's hole in every donut, or what?

Coincidentally, this is also how the sequel trilogy was made.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What Star Wars needs is more giant robot fights.

Though I'm still living in hope that the next James Bond will finally end with a Metal Gear.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though I'm still living in hope that the next James Bond will finally end with a Metal Gear.

<title credits begin to a slow sad rendition of rules of nature>

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Star War has been outlawed, all territorial disputes are now decided by gladiatorial combat between two massive fighting machines.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRPqs6wmr4E

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

at first i was like "oh neat some old giant robot show" and then i realized "OH poo poo THAT'S A ROBO-DARTH VADER! :aaa:"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

dudeness posted:

Star War has been outlawed, all territorial disputes are now decided by gladiatorial combat between two massive fighting machines.

Guess we had to have a tournament arc eventually.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how about a non human star wars

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

dudeness posted:

I'd watch AT-AT JOX.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Wars Transformers made canon

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I will never forgive the sequels for what they did to R2.

Burns
May 10, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will never forgive the sequels for what they did to R2.

Wait is R2 even in the sequels?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Burns posted:

"Was X from the OT in the sequels?"

The answer is yes, always yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Burns posted:

Yes. He does exactly one thing in each of the three movies.

In TFA he shows them where Luke is. In TLJ he shows Luke Leia's oldass hologram. And in ROS he restores C-3PO's memory.

You could easily replace him with a literal garbage can with a walkman and a USB drive bolted to it and it would serve roughly the same purpose.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

does bb8 do a single thing in tlj, or is his absence another way in which rian johnson is sequel king

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Squizzle posted:

does bb8 do a single thing in tlj, or is his absence another way in which rian johnson is sequel king

Fixes X-Wing in the 'leaky dam' bit
Is a slot machine
Fires coins at the police
pilots an ATST
Gets groped by Poe

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Squizzle posted:

does bb8 do a single thing

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. He does exactly one thing in each of the three movies.

In TFA he shows them where Luke is. In TLJ he shows Luke Leia's oldass hologram. And in ROS he restores C-3PO's memory.

You could easily replace him with a literal garbage can with a walkman and a USB drive bolted to it and it would serve roughly the same purpose.

It's hilarious that they made R2 a literal machine for returning the Star Wars status quo, holy poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In Episode IV, nothing could sway R2 from his mission, slave-owners be damned.

Meanwhile in VII BB8 is helpless and tries to find a new master as soon as possible.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

They released a bunch more of those Galaxy of Adventures shorts and you'd be hard pressed to understand that Finn was the co-lead of TFA, let alone a main character, from any of them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Episode IV, nothing could sway R2 from his mission, slave-owners be damned.

Meanwhile in VII BB8 is helpless and tries to find a new master as soon as possible.

Little white cuck orb indeed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

They released a bunch more of those Galaxy of Adventures shorts and you'd be hard pressed to understand that Finn was the co-lead of TFA, let alone a main character, from any of them.

Finn was my favourite character in TFA, he's actually got an interesting concept and role, a PTSD-ridden stormtrooper who defects and has to learn how to function outside the evil empire, and even gets his own boss fight that's far more memorable than anything they do with shiny stormtrooper lady. And of course they have no goddamn idea what to do with him after. I thought the were going to be building up to him becoming a Jedi, but welp.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
While I agree that Finn‘s character arc is wasted, the potential from Benicio Del Toro’s DJ from TLJ is COMPLETELY wasted.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

While I agree that Finn‘s character arc is wasted, the potential from Benicio Del Toro’s DJ from TLJ is COMPLETELY wasted.

gonna make a sequeler trilogy with all of the interesting characters that got squeezed out of their movies to spend more time on R2D2

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

dialhforhero posted:

...what narrative potential is there in a character who's defining attribute is "Doesn't give a poo poo about anything going on around him"?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

...what narrative potential is there in a character who's defining attribute is "Doesn't give a poo poo about anything going on around him"?

yeah han solo sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah han solo sucks