Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

Regenerative car: self powered car
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/corkum/regenerative-car-self-powered-car/description

What would a permanent solution look like? ELECTRIC! I saw the electric vehicles plugged into the wall, and I thought that has to be a better way!
I was driving with my hand out of the window, when it hit me, why don't we use this free wind power! It is certainly strong enough to harness!
That is where I need your help! I have the Idea and a mechanical background, but I need assistance to get my Idea into reality! After we Design the Car of the Future, we are going to use these cars as mobile power plants, able to power someones home while in the garage.

This is my favourite part:

quote:

Pledge US$ 500 or more About £398
Opportunity to submit a Design and Vote!

You can submit a design idea for the car of the future, you can design a sports car, truck, any vehicle you would like to see! Also for every 100$ you get 1 vote for the designs submitted! We will send out the designs via email, you can vote on the ones you like the most! Also a "I built the Future" shirt!

For $500 you get to design the car for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Physicists have a favorite no energy transportation solution: dig a straight tunnel between any two points on the surface and it will be downhill for the first half of the trip and leave you going fast enough to make it up hill for the second half, minus loses to friction and air resistance.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

If I had enough money to throw away on this sort of crap, I'd be awfully tempted to pay up and send him that MS paint doodle of the magnet car from last page.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

For $500 you get to enter a contest where you and other $500 donors get to compete to design the car for him

And the people voting on the contest are all fellow rubes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's nice to hear that Chris Roberts is still active.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Fools Infinite posted:

Physicists have a favorite no energy transportation solution: dig a straight tunnel between any two points on the surface and it will be downhill for the first half of the trip and leave you going fast enough to make it up hill for the second half, minus loses to friction and air resistance.

Presented without comment.
https://idlewords.com/2007/04/the_alameda_weehawken_burrito_tunnel.htm

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fools Infinite posted:

And the fact nobody has bothered to do this is final proof that the globe earth is a myth.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Fools Infinite posted:

... and regardless of where those two points on the earth are, the trip will take the same time. :science:

[edit: assumes the earth and its layers are perfectly spherical]

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Apr 16, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Cable Guy posted:

... and regardless of where those two points on the earth are, the trip will take the same time. :science:

[edit: assumes the earth and its layers are perfectly spherical]

too bad it not!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Forget magic cars, this guy just invented . . . net bags.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindboxx/airbagtm-finally-a-bad-ss-reusable-bag-youll-really-love

Look how cool you could be.

I have a couple mesh bags, one cotton, one synthetic. They are fine. No good for tiny things like pens or change, but okay. I'm pretty sure they basic design has been around for, like, centuries? It's a design I've always associated with old ladies. Maybe on Coronation Street or old movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opviTyq9K58

He's so pleased with himself.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Apr 16, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mmm, it's like I'm back in the 80s Russia. That dude is so going to get expelled from Komsomol for that leather jacket...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stylish but not pretentious[CITATION NEEDED]

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This Kickstarter is Greaser Approved.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Mmm, it's like I'm back in the 80s Russia. That dude is so going to get expelled from Komsomol for that leather jacket...
Was just about to say that.

What will they think of next? Toilet paper made out of newspaper? [don't steal this idea]

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladinus posted:

Ah, but did glorious soviet bags cost 14 pounds? That's, uh, 1,297.09 rubles.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
NASA material

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Facebook Aunt posted:

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: Simply a kick*ss reusable bag

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We invented the mesh bag which totally didn't already exist which is why they was already a name for it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kennel posted:

NASA material
The person that asked the question cancelled their pledge after this.

Bag People posted:

Hi Seadon. 👋 Great question! 👍AirBag is made from a high-tech material called polyethersulfone composite nanofibre with added Spandex. The fibre is used by NASA to produce cosmonaut gear. 🚀To be specific, they use it to design cosmonaut helmets. The material is notorious for its mechanical properties, like durability. 💪🏻

Bag People posted:

Hi Seadon, many thanks for following up. It isn't polyester, but it is a member of the same thermoplastic family but made with other constituent materials which changed properties of the composite. Although some of these changes were totally predicted and desired, there was one that was really non-obvious and really cool and which made us decide to file a patent application (and that's what we're actually doing these days). Once we get a 'patent pending' status, we will post an update so watch this space!
You can pretty much say anything is a NASA material if you're willing to drill down far enough.

Bag People posted:

Hi Jenny!

Many thanks for your question. We very much hope you won't ever need to recycle the bag because it is made to last a lifetime. But in case you need to dispose of AirBag™, it can go into plastic recyclables. We'd recommend checking with your local authority.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Apr 17, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ah, but did glorious soviet bags cost 14 pounds? That's, uh, 1,297.09 rubles.

I don't think they even were for sale. They just materialised in your tiny state-provided flat at some point, and you had to use one for the rest of your life. Or until the country collapses, whatever comes first.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Forget magic cars, this guy just invented . . . net bags.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindboxx/airbagtm-finally-a-bad-ss-reusable-bag-youll-really-love

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, he's invented the mesh bag and is a loving idiot. On the other hand, Tunnel Snakes rule.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hub Cat posted:

The person that asked the question cancelled their pledge after this.

You can pretty much say anything is a NASA material if you're willing to drill down far enough.

NASA

Cosmonaut

NASA

Cosmonaut

NASA cosmonauts???

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

tuyop posted:

NASA

Cosmonaut

NASA

Cosmonaut

NASA cosmonauts???

Comrade, all flights to space are from Baikonur Cosmodrome on superior Russian Rocket design, da? Then all people in the cosmos now are cosmonauts, da?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Paladinus posted:

They just materialised in your tiny state-provided flat at some point

Much like the KGB

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Elviscat posted:

Comrade, all flights to space are from Baikonur Cosmodrome on superior Russian Rocket design, da? Then all people in the cosmos now are cosmonauts, da?

Foolish imperialist dog, only glorious taikonauts deserve to grace our night sky!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I know posting indiegogo is just cheating at the best of times but seriously. Also you have to pay 20$ a month or $192 a year for the app to have access to all the "signals"

Hapbee - Choose How You Feel

Hapbee ("Happy") is the world's first wearable that lets you feel calm, alert, focused, relaxed or sleepy on command - all with just a few taps on your smartphone.

This unique product allows you to experience the feelings and sensations you desire almost instantly, without ingesting any harmful substance or chemical, while having the ability to return to your normal baseline state within a matter of minutes.

Using patented technology and proprietary software, Hapbee sends predictable, low-wavelength electromagnetic signals throughout your body, emulating your favorite feelings and sensations, without the use of potentially harmful substances and chemicals.

You're in total control thanks to Hapbee's unique SignalMap functionality. Since Hapbee's different signals are mapped to specific feelings, you have complete control of which feeling or sensation you'd like to prompt with just a couple taps from your smartphone!

Most importantly, Hapbee does not require potent chemicals to evoke the feelings and emotions you desire. Hapbee puts you in complete control of the emotions or feelings you want – when you want them - giving you complete control of your state and empowering you to become more mindful of how you feel on a daily basis.

This kind of awareness in itself is a powerful movement toward living a better life.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Apr 17, 2020

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Hub Cat posted:

I know posting indiegogo is just cheating at the best of times but seriously. Also you have to pay 20$ a month or $192 a year for the app to have access to all the "signals"

Hapbee ("Happy") is the world's first wearable that lets you feel calm, alert, focused, relaxed or sleepy on command - all with just a few taps on your smartphone.

This unique product allows you to experience the feelings and sensations you desire almost instantly, without ingesting any harmful substance or chemical, while having the ability to return to your normal baseline state within a matter of minutes.

Using patented technology and proprietary software, Hapbee sends predictable, low-wavelength electromagnetic signals throughout your body, emulating your favorite feelings and sensations, without the use of potentially harmful substances and chemicals.

You're in total control thanks to Hapbee's unique SignalMap functionality. Since Hapbee's different signals are mapped to specific feelings, you have complete control of which feeling or sensation you'd like to prompt with just a couple taps from your smartphone!

Most importantly, Hapbee does not require potent chemicals to evoke the feelings and emotions you desire. Hapbee puts you in complete control of the emotions or feelings you want – when you want them - giving you complete control of your state and empowering you to become more mindful of how you feel on a daily basis.

This kind of awareness in itself is a powerful movement toward living a better life.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

this was a thing in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, which even had a setting that made you want to use it. So if you didn't feel like using the device to change your mood, you set it to "I want to use the device to change my mood" and then you do!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GoldStandardConure posted:

this was a thing in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, which even had a setting that made you want to use it. So if you didn't feel like using the device to change your mood, you set it to "I want to use the device to change my mood" and then you do!

gently caress, I was wondering why it felt so familiar.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I want to wirehead, but I don't want to look like a complete twat while doing it.

Also, I need to watch Brainstorm again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The chaser is when you look at the page and see that it got successfully funded to the tune of 450,000 dollars and since it's IndieGoGo they get to just have that money

quote:

Cut out calories from traditional 'social lubrication' but still enjoy the buzz

I wanna buy one, set it to the 'drunk' setting they are tiptoeing around mentioning for legal reasons, do something incredibly dangerous and harmful and then sue them

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

GoldStandardConure posted:

Somebody needs to kickstart Ubik, like, right now.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Just imagine how much more hosed up the world would get if it actually worked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's really telling of the intended audience of this scam (in a depressing way) that there are no settings that don't include some type of contentment. It's all about making yourself happy and satisfied because it's for people who lack the ability or desire to seek those things for themselves. Rich person with money to burn who's found success but remains unsatisfied? Don't worry, your Hapbee will give you what 18 holes of luxury golf cannot. Average Joe working long hours and still only barely able to afford time to themselves? No problem, Hapbee will make those few off-hours more relaxing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

It's a really unsubtle cyberpunk brain drug, thank god its a fraud

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Somebody needs to kickstart Ubik, like, right now.

Can't wait to get stuck in my apartment because I couldn't afford to pay the door to leave.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Fools Infinite posted:

Hush, Charlie Brooker will hear you.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nenonen posted:

Foolish imperialist dog, only glorious taikonauts deserve to grace our night sky!

You reminded me of Taikodom, goddammit. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress, I was wondering why it felt so familiar.

you set the dial to "Familiar Feelings"