Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd honestly be very surprised if they kept not only the original vo but the original tone and writing of 4. Feels like if you do your big remake you'd try to tie it into the new grounded tone of the new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Yeah evil within 2 doesn't get enough love. For that matter, the first game is cool for having really bizarre scenarios for no other reason than they're cool in a game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm definitely more stressed out by normal ganados than I am Regenerators. They're one of the least threatening enemies in the game and you never face them in mixed groups of multiple enemies like you do ganados.
Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't really talking about it in terms of how threatening they are, more about how much their design and behaviour disturbed me. If I had to rank enemies in terms of how often they killed me, it would probably go something like Colmillos/Doc Salvadore, Gigantes, Garradors.

quote:

Anyway, to bring the discussion back to a potential remake of RE4, what do people think are the core aspects of RE4?
Humor, Action, Cheesy B-Movie Leon, dilapidated and degenerate rural lifestyle, decay, and body horror, in no particular order. If I had to describe the game in a number of one-phrase bullet point, that's what I would pick. I absolutely think you cannot take away the almost cheery and irreverent attitude of Resident Evil 4 without ruining it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

M-two does have some staff that worked on 4 which is nice, but I still think a 2 year dev cycle for a new game as big as re4 was is dangerously truncated.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rabidsquid posted:

i dont think i would ever use "slow dread" to describe any aspect of RE4

The moment when you mentally calculate just how far you have to jetski with Ashley to get back home :colbert:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Was hoping the news about Paul Haddad was just some dumb wiki vandalism when I heard it yesterday morning. Sadly not the case.

As far as a RE4 remake goes, I can't help but think "why"? Alright so by today's standards it does feel clunky and stiff but it's not like the thing's completely unplayable or in desperate need of being brought up to modern control standards. Besides, surely CV should receive such treatment first? So much of that game puts me off wanting to play it now, especially all that bullshit backtracking and running around as Chris in areas that Claire's already wrecked. The metal detector can gently caress right off too. It's just tedious time-padding bollocks that adds nothing to the atmosphere or experience.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hey guys, I know RE4 is considered a classic by many, and I know the recent remakes have been astoundingly good, but if we could refrain from attacking each other over a potential RE4remake that would be really good. There is no need to leap into insults and incredulity. Thank you all!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

People love RE 4 for its mechanics and cheesiness. Like I said, a remake would have to be substantially different to justify its existence, in which case it may as well be an entirely new game. I don’t think many people are clamoring for a remake of 4 is all. Seems like a waste of resources when the original holds up so well and is so highly regarded. That’s taking a huge risk.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Sorry my post might have come across slightly wrong. I did not mean that a potential remake would be really good, I meant that it would be really good to not attack each other. By all means discuss a RE4make that is cool with me, just not to the heated extent it was getting. :) My apologies!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

Humor, Action, Cheesy B-Movie Leon, dilapidated and degenerate rural lifestyle, decay, and body horror, in no particular order. If I had to describe the game in a number of one-phrase bullet point, that's what I would pick. I absolutely think you cannot take away the almost cheery and irreverent attitude of Resident Evil 4 without ruining it.

man nurse posted:

People love RE 4 for its mechanics and cheesiness. Like I said, a remake would have to be substantially different to justify its existence, in which case it may as well be an entirely new game. I don’t think many people are clamoring for a remake of 4 is all. Seems like a waste of resources when the original holds up so well and is so highly regarded. That’s taking a huge risk.
The overt cheesiness does seem like a defining point.

Sharkopath posted:

I'd honestly be very surprised if they kept not only the original vo but the original tone and writing of 4. Feels like if you do your big remake you'd try to tie it into the new grounded tone of the new games.
Yeah, I'd kind of be surprised too if they maintained the cheese when one of the funniest moments in RE2 was turned into the saddest. "Serious RE4 remake" could be a great game, but it'd result in a sort of ironic reversal of the original release with a massive outcry from RE4 traditionalists.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd like That Dog to become a main character

edit: I watched a speedrun the other day and the dude skipped saving the dog. I couldn't believe it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 18, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

The moment when you mentally calculate just how far you have to jetski with Ashley to get back home :colbert:

Can you imagine? After all that poo poo you get 5 minutes from shore and just get clowned on by some waves before the chopper can pick you up

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The overt cheesiness does seem like a defining point.

Yeah, I'd kind of be surprised too if they maintained the cheese when one of the funniest moments in RE2 was turned into the saddest. "Serious RE4 remake" could be a great game, but it'd result in a sort of ironic reversal of the original release with a massive outcry from RE4 traditionalists.
It's a bit different to turn around one moment of accidental humor and turn it into drama and turning around the entire tone of a game when that tone is what a lot of people love it for. I don't think you need to be a traditionalist to be unhappy with that idea.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Haunting Ground remake when

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
preferably not made by the people who made the drain deimos cutscene in re3r

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

edit: I watched a speedrun the other day and the dude skipped saving the dog. I couldn't believe it.

1000% onboard for separate Leon/That Dog paths.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i too remember the slow dread of pulling off multiple explosive headshots with the red 9+stock at a time and using my 60 round shotgun to kneecap guys before suplexing them

truly never has there been a scarier game

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you take Carlos's whole aggressive evasion mechanic and ramped it up or dialed it into Leon's crazy kicks and suplexes, I can see the bones of what we've got in the recent remakes being a foundation for an RE4 remake.

The thing with RE4 in the first place is it was such a stark departure from the gameplay before it and shaped what the franchise has looked for more than a decade ever, basically since. A modern remake is almost definitely not going to do that, so it's going to be the lesser in comparison no matter what. I'll probably still play it, but I'm not expecting it to be super surprised.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a bit different to turn around one moment of accidental humor and turn it into drama and turning around the entire tone of a game when that tone is what a lot of people love it for. I don't think you need to be a traditionalist to be unhappy with that idea.
I am not truly convinced it was accidental.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
One thing that could have improved RE3 remake a lot and added a slight layer of strategy would be to have Carlos as well as Jill have access to a shared item box.

Such a little thing that would have been really easy to incorporate and, if you lowered the amount of item drops across the board, might have really added some variation in subsequent play throughs. Especially if you switched characters up more than ONCE throughout the game. Carlos having access to the lockpick and the grenade launcher and Jill being able to use the AR or stash some handgun bullets or herbs for Carlos would have added a little variety I think.

I mean why not besides Jill being "the master of unlocking things"? I don't see where it's a game breaker and even if certain things would do that then just make it so one character can't use certain things or tailor the item drops to the character(s). Carlos' hospital run is a motherfucker, especially once the hunters show up, and I could really use an extra hand grenade or grenade launcher right now. Make it so Carlos is not as good at picking locks as Jill so certain locks don't open. Then randomize what's inside those lock boxes so as not to break the game but also to make it different every time.

Wonder why they didn't go that route?

If I remember right, in OG RE3, certain ammo and items would cross over if you left them behind. I think that was a mechanic in RE2 also. It would help multiple runs too once you learn to memorize when to stash certain items and which ones would be the most helpful for what you know is coming. But if the drops changed each time, your strategy could still backfire.

It could add a layer of tension to boss fights too if you made it so the game would prompt you right before one. When you're gearing up for a showdown, a message could ask "do you wan't to leave anything for your partner?" or something in a way that forces you to decide how much ammo and items to bring to your boss fight and force you to decide if you want to go into battle with fewer things. Seems like a really simple way to up the replayability factor with a minimum amount of labor.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am not truly convinced it was accidental.
Mh, I don't know. There are a lot of moments in the early games that are incredibly comical in retrospect, but don't really look to me like they were supposed to be. That's an old argument, though. In any case, I think that would just be a much larger departure, because the tone of RE2make overall doesn't seem all that different from the original to me. The Kendo scene really stands out as being incredibly raw by Resident Evil standards altogether, normally that kind of moment is relegated to files.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I started up RE5 for the first time today (I'm playing back through the ones I haven't played before, there's quite a few...), I can't decide if it looks good or not graphically, the filters and lighting are really cinematic but the models are a bit fluffy in places. I'm probably spoiled from playing Dead Space 2 this week, slightly newer game but still 360 era and it looks gorgeous even now.

One thing that did really surprise me is I opened my game up to randoms and there was pretty much a queue to join. I hosed up the first one cos I had no idea what the messages wanted from me, telling me to "restart", but that dude was called Albert Wesker so maybe I dodged a bullet there... The next person was able to join just fine and after getting to the end of 1-2 I definitely see how this game was designed with two people playing in mind, luring the Uroborous about was great fun.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Mh, I don't know. There are a lot of moments in the early games that are incredibly comical in retrospect, but don't really look to me like they were supposed to be. That's an old argument, though.
Given the way the game treats the other would-be hero, fat cop, I have a hard time seeing it as not supposed to be comical. Perhaps not solely so, but they made a scene where a guy acts like an rear end and immediately gets ambushed by like five zombies, how is that not meant to be funny (to some)? Horror and the comical aren't oil and water, the two can happily coexist in the same scene since they rely on similar tricks.

Cardiovorax posted:

In any case, I think that would just be a much larger departure, because the tone of RE2make overall doesn't seem all that different from the original to me. The Kendo scene really stands out as being incredibly raw by Resident Evil standards altogether, normally that kind of moment is relegated to files.
I don't disagree that it would be a larger departure, but the reception of the Kendo scene also seems like something someone could be tempted into pursuing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NonzeroCircle posted:

I started up RE5 for the first time today (I'm playing back through the ones I haven't played before, there's quite a few...), I can't decide if it looks good or not graphically, the filters and lighting are really cinematic but the models are a bit fluffy in places. I'm probably spoiled from playing Dead Space 2 this week, slightly newer game but still 360 era and it looks gorgeous even now.

One thing that did really surprise me is I opened my game up to randoms and there was pretty much a queue to join. I hosed up the first one cos I had no idea what the messages wanted from me, telling me to "restart", but that dude was called Albert Wesker so maybe I dodged a bullet there... The next person was able to join just fine and after getting to the end of 1-2 I definitely see how this game was designed with two people playing in mind, luring the Uroborous about was great fun.

There was a rather unfortunate period of history where everything had to be a coop shooter, whether the game lent itself to it or not. I seem to remember a lot of people huffing their own farts declaring single player games to be dead. It’s fun with two of you but managing two inventories when you’re on your own is tedious as hell.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Definitely, it clicked a hell of a lot more during that second chapter with someone else. I was trying to remember all the poo poo I'd half remembered from guides about what not to give Sheva so she doesn't use all my stuff

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's no Adam Jensen plays Deus Ex, but still neat.
Thanks for sharing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shame only that it's in Russian.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Blind playthrough RE4 has tons of dread. Cabin hold out, chainsaw mooks, boulder and truck death traps, insect ambushes, Salazar's hand boss Mr Xing at you, big fish, claw guys, regenerators, flaming house boss dude, creepy suspended cage boss. Loads of moments where danger appears and you're desperate to survive it before it gets you.

It contrasts nicely with Salazar himself, big goofy robozar chasing you, Kruger being right out of an 80s action flick and my favorite ham in the game when Saddler chastises you for being a biiiig American action hero before becoming the obligatory most mutated last boss. There's a lot of room for a REmake4 to go and I'd trust the current golden age Capcom to do it.

Catching up with this thread as I finally tear into REmake2, on my third run ATM(carbon, frugal, minimal on assisted, at the lab), loving every second. How is RE3? Hear it is a bit short but if it encourages replays it might justify the price to me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Doomykins posted:

Blind playthrough RE4 has tons of dread. Cabin hold out, chainsaw mooks, boulder and truck death traps, insect ambushes, Salazar's hand boss Mr Xing at you, big fish, claw guys, regenerators, flaming house boss dude, creepy suspended cage boss. Loads of moments where danger appears and you're desperate to survive it before it gets you.

It contrasts nicely with Salazar himself, big goofy robozar chasing you, Kruger being right out of an 80s action flick and my favorite ham in the game when Saddler chastises you for being a biiiig American action hero before becoming the obligatory most mutated last boss. There's a lot of room for a REmake4 to go and I'd trust the current golden age Capcom to do it.

Catching up with this thread as I finally tear into REmake2, on my third run ATM(carbon, frugal, minimal on assisted, at the lab), loving every second. How is RE3? Hear it is a bit short but if it encourages replays it might justify the price to me.

It's very short and a little more linear and setpiece oriented, with a little more of an action bent courtesy of the dodge button and more plentiful ammo. There's a store with unlocks that make subsequent playthroughs easier. If you're still hankering after RE 2, it's a nice companion piece.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I will help you awaken from your world of cliches

[transforms into a giant monster with glowing weak points]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doomykins posted:

How is RE3? Hear it is a bit short but if it encourages replays it might justify the price to me.
On a standard first playthrough it's not really much shorter - most people I've seen play it clock in at six to seven and a half hours. It's far more linear than RE2make and very heavy on action and being a third person shooter. It depends on what you want from the game, but personally, I wouldn't recommend it at full price. Wait for it to get cheaper.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m replaying RE7 atm after finishing off 3, and I’ve been reading this thread leading up to its release as I was curious to see how people felt about it at the time.

RE6 really poisoned the well huh?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doomykins posted:

I just made it out of the hospital and so far I love it.

I like to play blind and go slow too so i think you'll dig it.

Speaking of though...I just found a second pistol for Jill in the hospital and don't want to carry two. I assume the new one is better?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

I just made it out of the hospital and so far I love it.

I like to play blind and go slow too so i think you'll dig it.

Speaking of though...I just found a second pistol for Jill in the hospital and don't want to carry two. I assume the new one is better?

I dunno about damage stats but the new one has a burst fire feature that honestly just made me miss more often, so I prefer the standard, especially if you’ve found the upgrades for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really, it just has a three-round burst. If you prefer the aim and precision of your starting gun then it is a valid alternative.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Bonaventure posted:

I love Saddler, he's hilarious.

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards RE3 looking like a great $30 game in the future. Still got hardcore runs and survivor to crack into in RE2.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

Saddler....YOU'RE a cliche!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this discussion about changing the combat system in RE4 irreparably breaking the flow of the game just honestly strikes me as an updated version of the tank controls argument. removing tank controls didn't fundamentally ruin RE2 because artificial limitations of movement are not necessary to any aspect of game design (except maybe frustration)

this isn't getting over it with bennett foddy

edit: also before this gets misconstrued i want to address that i dont think RE4 has bad controls, although with the way control schemes have evolved since its release it definitely has dated FEELING controls, but the way the AI is designed to work around the control scheme i do think is a bit silly. the enemies that charge into melee and stop thing is really jarring. more so i mean to say the RE2/3 Remake style controls would be an improvement and i don't see any reason to suggest that the old AI limitations they came up with around the old control scheme is some pinnacle of integral game design that ties the room together.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

edit: also before this gets misconstrued i want to address that i dont think RE4 has bad controls, although with the way control schemes have evolved since its release it definitely has dated FEELING controls, but the way the AI is designed to work around the control scheme i do think is a bit silly. the enemies that charge into melee and stop thing is really jarring.
Yeah, it's a very obvious stopgap measure and workaround. When you get right down to it, the controls of RE4 are still tank controls, and you can feel it. They did some impressive things with it and they made it work in a way that no one today would expect if you just described them as they are, but as you say, it's dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was watching some ridiculous knife only no damage run of re2r and I was thinking that as big of an improvement as the controls are, they still aren't perfect. If you're wielding a 9mm pea shooter, why do you need to put it away to draw and use the knife? I think there are more interesting ways to do it, have the arms be more free and be able to resort to the knife more fluidly instead of still having that bit of a pause required to make the swing. Obviously didn't impede that guy much (who knew the trick to lift Mr. X was staying close to him) but anyway look for this in the eventual second remake of re2 in 2023 (remakes will soon become annual installments like sports games and call of duty, write it down)