Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What hell awaits one whom so much as sees their logo without spitting upon the ground in front of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I've always been a Rogers hater, first and foremost. :shrug:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think Bell has been the worst over the decade, but anything regarding TELUS Nitr0 shows up with a vengeance like they personally killed his dog.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You should be ashamed that you capitalized that garbage

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ofc he wants to give respect to Fourth Reich Telecom

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
ROGERS TELUS and BELL are wonderful companies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What if we're not CEOs or major shareholders???

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Facetious posted:

What if we're not CEOs or major shareholders???

Are there people in this thread who aren't? I mean, the thread title is celebratory about how much money we're bleeding from the suckers, after all.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Canada telecom loving sucks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I always read the thread title as aspirational.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

I think Bell has been the worst over the decade, but anything regarding TELUS Nitr0 shows up with a vengeance like they personally killed his dog.

I pay telus 24k a month I think I have a right to complain with literally 0 alternatives. gently caress telus and gently caress the apologists who think this is ok. I continue to fight them day in day out and I would be the happiest man on the planet if the entire company was removed from existence

mewse
May 2, 2006

Visual voicemail on KOODO, a TELUS brand, is only $5

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I should definitely switch to TELUS from ROGERS CANADA

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

In Ontario there’s OTN which is actually pretty great in my experience. It’s a Gov Ontario non profit telemedicine services provider. Using a third party service like Facebook for protected health data is probably a nightmare for the doc.

someone wanted me to join them for a new very confidential support group on loving Zoom recently and I'm like gently caress no, I'm not gonna do poo poo on that service that I don't want the ENTIRE WORLD to see, I don't care if they have some HIPAA certification or whatever, it's completely unsafe

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Is anywhere that sells phones in person open these days? I was thinking maybe Walmart or London Drugs, since everything else I've looked up isn't.

edit: I know both of those are open... I mean the cell phone parts.

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sassafras posted:

Is anywhere that sells phones in person open these days? I was thinking maybe Walmart or London Drugs, since everything else I've looked up isn't.

edit: I know both of those are open... I mean the cell phone parts.

Weirdly maybe Shoppers Drug Mart?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Staples. Best Buy, sort of.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Staples and Best Buy are curbside or shipping only .

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What about The Source™ by Circuit City Formerly Radio Shack

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
London Drugs was good, no outside lineup (except for car insurance) and they were possibly even overstaffed in mobile phone dept with three people. Thanks for the fallback ideas though!

SchoolBus
Mar 27, 2004
I can't afford a new title, so I'm stuck with this piece of shit! Thanks PhancyPants!

MA-Horus posted:

Staples and Best Buy are curbside or shipping only .

If you line up and tell them you need a phone they will activate one for you (except for Quebec where they are all closed to public)

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Help Canadian Cellular thread!

I come to you with hat in hand looking for some advice. I’m moving to Europe for work for a duration of 10 months (Yea, in the middle of COVID) I called Rogers to suspend my account, and the fuckers want $12.75 a month for the privilege of letting me keep my number when I get back. Oh wait, except that the absolute pieces of poo poo will only extend this generous service to me for a maximum of 6 months.

I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience before, and what strategy they took to keep their number after an extended trip overseas. I’m thinking there’s probably some gambit I could play by porting my number to some random low-cost provider?

I eagerly await the transmission of your combined wisdom!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Port your number to Google Voice?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nofeed posted:

I come to you with hat in hand looking for some advice. I’m moving to Europe for work for a duration of 10 months (Yea, in the middle of COVID) I called Rogers to suspend my account, and the fuckers want $12.75 a month for the privilege of letting me keep my number when I get back. Oh wait, except that the absolute pieces of poo poo will only extend this generous service to me for a maximum of 6 months.

I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience before, and what strategy they took to keep their number after an extended trip overseas. I’m thinking there’s probably some gambit I could play by porting my number to some random low-cost provider?

Haven't been through it personally but it looks like voip.ms will port numbers for you

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Porting_a_Number

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I did that with Fongo too. Not the most reliable thing (it barely ever actually rang through, and sometimes texts and voicemail were delayed by days) but if it's just to park the number, it should work for you.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Port your number to Google Voice?

Google voice doesn't work like that outside the USA. Google voice as you understand it is a USA-only service.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Nofeed posted:

When I did something similar, I ported my cell number to voip.ms, installed a softphone (I use Zoiper) on my cell phone, and carried on calling/texting with my Canadian number through that. Incoming calls ring through to the softphone, so other people won't even notice you're not there locally. It runs on whatever data network/wifi you'll have.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Thank you very much!

Once I am on a reasonably priced and feature-laden European plan I’ll explore porting to one of the above services.

You are all the best!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rural-telco-customers-internet-costs-increase-1.5561755

:jerkbag: We can't offer unlimited data for safety reasons. Unlimited data would (somehow) put 911 service and first responders at risk!

I swear they have a department that solely exists to make up bullshit excuses, no matter how unbelievable, to justify their gouging ways.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They have more than enough money to wait this out anyway. Captive regulators audience and all that.

And the other cartel members would have to agree on it, so lol no.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
UPDATE

So I called Rogers to confirm some details so I could port my number, and all of a sudden they decided to give me a 12 month no-charge suspension/inactivation on my account.

All I had to do was tell them I was quitting my contract with them forever, I guess.

Thanks for all the effort posts and suggestions though, perhaps some other goon will be able to use the advice!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got Rogers to fix up my account so visual voicemail finally works. It's pretty slick. Wouldn't pay extra for it though lol

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rogers, Bell, and TELUS have all announced they're snubbing Huawei and going with Ericsson/Nokia, so I guess it saves the government from having to make the official decision.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Canada made a judgement allowing Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou's extradition to the States, probably had something to do with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/27/huawei-meng-wanzhou-canada-court-ruling-us-extradition

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont like this one bit

https://m.email.koodomobile.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40%2FjqFkQfc7nqaW%2BYLOpwSMABdQXN3OXO3vCB8wTRMNmc%3D&cid=telDM205518&bid=787137327

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nice disclaimers:

1.) Get throttled to 512kbps if you stream at full res all the time

3.) Only 25% trade in value for an s20 ultra 5g 512gb :wtf::lol:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It's not really a trade in, so much as a deferment of the upfront cost of buying the phone. You get a smaller tab, but when the contract is up, they want to resell that phone and they'll ding you if the device is beat up.

And if you want to keep the phone, they charge you that 25% of the phone's value.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
So I switched to Public Mobile yesterday, and despite the plan saying you'll be capped to 3mbps, is it not widely enforced? I'm getting this on LTE+

less than three fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 6, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

less than three posted:

So I switched to Public Mobile yesterday, and despite the plan saying you'll be capped to 3mbps, is it not widely enforced? I'm getting this on LTE+

Yeah, that's pretty much what I get; I haven't switched off my unicorn plan yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I get; I haven't switched off my unicorn plan yet.

As I understood those weren't capped, though, supposedly the newer plans are speed limited to less than LTE.