Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Your various weapons can also speed up MP regeneration in battle. If you're going through an area where you don't need MP, feel free to switch to MP-regen weapons to recover it faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s not. Stuff like Pray and Chakra go a long way in keeping people healed without using MP. Also MP up, once leveled up, means you start with a good chunk of it and you don’t need to dump magic on every fight.

I think the only time I genuinely caught myself low on MP was in the train graveyard. The ghoul mid-chapter boss absolutely trashed me and I used waaaaaay too much magic keeping myself alive / damaging it. Thankfully you don’t need too much magic to deal with the chapter boss.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, just get used to recognizing when a fight is in the bag, let some ATB bars fill and top everyone off with Pray before you end it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You quickly learn to rely on pray, chakra and drain spells on hard mode

Chakra is one of those things that seem bad at first but it's very useful

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Chakra works with the 50% heal bonus on low health weapons as well, which means a free heal for 60% of missing HP from red health. Combine that with HP Boost materia and you won't need much else.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Wow, I loved the Hell House fight. What an absolute blast.

Also Aerith is a healing beast, I don't even need to use Cura with her, her version of Cure still heals for most of our hp and saves me a lot of mp.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Some weapons have -20% healing MP cost, that adds up. I used Pray a lot early on but when my MP Ups got to level 3-4 I never ran out of MP with just Magnify-Healing. Don't use -aga offensive spells, they're almost never worth the cost and cast time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Huh. So I’m replaying chapter 9 on Hard for the couple of manuscripts I need. I picked the 3 options that lead to the two side quests I need for them. I beat hell house to start the quests and... I get the wrong set of them. :wtf:

EDIT: motherfucker I picked the wrong one now that I think about it. So the only way to go about it is to restart the chapter yet again. I’m beginning to hate this system.

Like manual saves serve absolutely no purpose since going back to one means you lose any progress since that point.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 18, 2020

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the sewer lizards were tough at first then i put on a bunch of fire materia and they basically died instantly

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

drat, trying to fill out the last few Chadley sims is loving me up. Seems like you kind of have to go full out on offense, since getting hit on any of the Hard Mode ones will probably kill you

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. Hell House was my favourite boss. Weird to hear how many people hated it.

You have to realize variance in how people are equipped in battles with no real warning as to what you are going to be facing combined with wackadoo cameras and effects that block cues.

Also, as with any game discussion, a looooot of people who chime in late are going to be forewarned on things and prep differently than the early adopters who went in blind. This doesn't apply to you, but it happens in every single discussion about bosses that are easy once you know what to do, but the people who played day one didn't know what to do right away while later people already read up on it and went in prepped.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 18, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

drat, trying to fill out the last few Chadley sims is loving me up. Seems like you kind of have to go full out on offense, since getting hit on any of the Hard Mode ones will probably kill you

Nah, it's about being pre-prepped for what you know you'll face once you know the enemy order. That's one reason I didn't finish it; I refused to look things up and tried different setups for them and ended up having to go through and change them so much I just kind of quit (going from Tonberry to Behemoth to Tonberrys pissed me off so much due to running out of magic that I just didn't bother changing everything all up all over again, for instance).

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

If I ever learned how to mod a game, my only contribution would be adding dozens of empty liquor bottles to Reeves' office.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well, hard sure is living up to it's name. Died super fast to scorpion sentinel.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Game beaten! I don't know why people are mad about the ending????

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hard mode's not that hard once you realize that Raise/Arise is functionally a heal

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah unfortunately I had it equipped to cloud and he bit it pretty drat fast once the boss bound him. Beat him my second go through. Decided to take a breather from Remake and go back and play OG FF7 on my switch for a comparison or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

dog nougat posted:

Yeah unfortunately I had it equipped to cloud and he bit it pretty drat fast once the boss bound him. Beat him my second go through. Decided to take a breather from Remake and go back and play OG FF7 on my switch for a comparison or something.

That's why you give it to everyone.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Whoever came up with the venomantis fight needs to be taken out to the middle of the wilderness, shot in both knees and left out there to crawl back to civilization.

The rest of the game is solid though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hard mode done, and with that 2/3 of my Platinum trophies are Final Fantasy VII

Hard felt pretty good to me difficulty wise. Bosses were challenging but not too frustrating, but normal enemies were often actually easier than normal because First Striking into Triple Slash with a maxed Elemental just melts most things. Would've liked some more hard-only postgame content though besides the new VR fights, gimme an extra floor of the Shinra tower as a dungeon or something

Also would have liked something new to buy with all the excess Moogle Medals you get. You can buy all the things you actually want on normal, so on hard there's nothing left to buy except high-end consumables, which you can't use on hard

In conclusion, I loving love this game and can't wait for the next part

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hard mode's not that hard once you realize that Raise/Arise is functionally a heal

Dying does make chatacters lose buffs and ATB, which isn't great.

But it also makes them lose status effects, which has helped me on several occasions. Oh, you silenced Tifa? Joke's on you motherfucker, now she's dead! *pops Arise*

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

zakharov posted:

Game beaten! I don't know why people are mad about the ending????

There's a lot of neckbeard purists on the Internet who wanted nothing short of a 1 for 1 re-creation of FF7 with HD graphics, and they want everybody to know how mad they are that this game isn't what they thought it would be. Even though I personally liked it though there's still room for some reasonable criticism about how it plays out.

I stayed up way too late last night and finished chapter 18, and things really do go off the rails near the end. Aerith's speech saying how Sephiroth is the real threat to the planet fell kind of flat since at no point did anybody attempt to explain his deal. A lot of other inconsistencies are covered by "you, the player, know this isn't how the story went" though. The implication is that somehow Sephiroth found a way to defy the narrative itself and this is even worse for everyone than his plan from the original game.

I never actually played Crisis Core so the cutscene with Zack confused me at first, but it looks like the party punching Destiny in the face has caused Zack to retroactively survive. This just makes me think it's even more likely that the quarter century old prophecy of the one weird trick to stop Aeris from dying will actually become real in FF7/Rebuild or FF7/Reunion and the plot will go completely mental in the process. Well, moreso than it already has.

Giving several characters mouths that are slightly too big and rubbery kind of works, but it was amazing for making Hojo a seriously creepy motherfucker.

And can we please ban Nomura from the part of the office where the character designers work? Rufus' outfit is a goddamned travesty.

I'm feeling leery about starting on hard mode since I struggled a lot on many fights even with heavy item and MP use, but I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why have I not seen my darling boy Roche for 8 chapters?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

If you haven't played Crisis Core, Zack's story plays out just like it does in FF7. Except take those three goons who shot him and turn it into a hopeless fight versus like 50 goons and some attack helicopters.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 18, 2020

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Anyone else looking forward to the insane 10hour speedrun of this at an upcoming gdq?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Thundarr posted:

There's a lot of neckbeard purists on the Internet who wanted nothing short of a 1 for 1 re-creation of FF7 with HD graphics, and they want everybody to know how mad they are that this game isn't what they thought it would be. Even though I personally liked it though there's still room for some reasonable criticism about how it plays out.

I stayed up way too late last night and finished chapter 18, and things really do go off the rails near the end. Aerith's speech saying how Sephiroth is the real threat to the planet fell kind of flat since at no point did anybody attempt to explain his deal. A lot of other inconsistencies are covered by "you, the player, know this isn't how the story went" though. The implication is that somehow Sephiroth found a way to defy the narrative itself and this is even worse for everyone than his plan from the original game.

I never actually played Crisis Core so the cutscene with Zack confused me at first, but it looks like the party punching Destiny in the face has caused Zack to retroactively survive. This just makes me think it's even more likely that the quarter century old prophecy of the one weird trick to stop Aeris from dying will actually become real in FF7/Rebuild or FF7/Reunion and the plot will go completely mental in the process. Well, moreso than it already has.

Giving several characters mouths that are slightly too big and rubbery kind of works, but it was amazing for making Hojo a seriously creepy motherfucker.

And can we please ban Nomura from the part of the office where the character designers work? Rufus' outfit is a goddamned travesty.

I'm feeling leery about starting on hard mode since I struggled a lot on many fights even with heavy item and MP use, but I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

I mean I get the desire to have it a 1 to 1 re-creation, but going back into og ff7 is def an example of rose-colored glasses type thing. In 30 minutes I'm already back to the playground with Aeris. The sector 5 freeway is literally 1 screen. Cloud and Aeris on top of the church are comically huge. While it's still a good game, it hasn't aged well. That's where Remake does a great job, filling out Midgar and making it feel alive. This just feels flat and kinda lifeless in comparison. Maybe I was just a kid with a great imagination, or it took way less to impress me back then, but this imagining of midgar is way better than the original in almost every way.

I agree with regards to the ending/late game bits of this as well. It got pretty drat weird and now I have no idea where it'll go. I hope it'll play out similarly to the original. I still expect Aerith to die tbh. My guess is it'll be some goofy-rear end plot twist, like cloud gets possessed and kills her or something. The whole of sephiroth felt oddly tacked on, or at least not adequately explained compared to the original. He's kind of thrown at you as this villain with no real explanation as to who he is/was and his relationship with Cloud. I would've liked to see some more story development or shuffling around a little bit to help explain it better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Random thought but if they ever do an FFVI remake I bet people will be even madder about that.

I mean, if Midgar feels lifeless, imagine every single town from a SNES JRPG and what PS5 tech could do for it.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I use most/all of my gil to keep my potion supply topped off.

Tell me if this is stupid.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I completely forgot how to get to the sewers for that one stash quest

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

remake FF8 and make the plot even dumber

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Woofer posted:

I use most/all of my gil to keep my potion supply topped off.

Tell me if this is stupid.

you get so many potions for free i dont know why you would ever spend money on them

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I completely forgot how to get to the sewers for that one stash quest

You have to go a little bit further into chapter 14 and revisit the corneo mansion with Leslie before you can get at it.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Is there a way to get the 2nd Elemental materia if you missed it on the 1st playthrough? I did all the sidequests but must have missed it going into Ch14.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobby2times posted:

Is there a way to get the 2nd Elemental materia if you missed it on the 1st playthrough? I did all the sidequests but must have missed it going into Ch14.

If you complete everything it should be right at the end of Ch. 14, not at the start.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Andrast posted:

Rinoa is Dead and Squall is Ultimecia

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you complete everything it should be right at the end of Ch. 14, not at the start.

Meant 15. Went back using chapter select and its not there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any hints on the exact location it appears at? I didn't see it either on my run and I definitely did every sidequest other than the ones in chapter 14 that are mutually exclusive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thundarr posted:

Any hints on the exact location it appears at? I didn't see it either on my run and I definitely did every sidequest other than the ones in chapter 14 that are mutually exclusive.

its on the path towards the wall to finish chapter 14 and it’s not a materia you pickup. The angel of the slums leaves you a letter (so purple glowy pickup) when you complete everything related to her and the reward in it is the materia.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

bazookablade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦