Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watched Antrum last night. It had a few creepy unsettling moments but overall it was not very good. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just wanted to inform folks that Black Cat aka DEMONS 6: DE PROFUNDIS is on Prime!!!!!!!

This movie is wonderfully stupid but fun. He's not in the whole movie but the reason the witch Levana is reawakened in this one is because of the research a lead actress is doing under Michele Soavi for his knockoff of Suspiria.

No really, the premise of the movie is a character that's clearly based on Michele Soavi who is conflicted about the future of his career because he wants to make classy supernatural horror flicks but is afraid of always living in the shadow of "the top grossing horror director, have you hears of Suspiria?" And any time anyone mentions Suspiria in the movie the first few bars of the Suspiria theme plays. Soavi cameos as the top grossing director though and in their brave new Suspiria knockoff the plot will be about the Goddesses of Pain instead of the Three Mothers lol Everything glows GREEN when the witch is around, totally different and original from how everything glows RED in Suspiria! :perfect:

I just can't even explain why I like this movie, I mean by this thread's standards I think I can movie - it just hits every dumb Italian movie horror movie note, great soundtrack, no human being on earth talks like this script, plot makes zero sense, drags like crazy towards the third act, zero natural lighting everything either VERY VERY GREEN, VERY VERY BLUE, etc. I fuckin' love it. Plus the extra bit of meta-ness that sets the plot off? I love it. Besides the obvious Soavi parallel you can tell from the writing that a lot of the other characters/producers/etc. in the movie were based on real people.

Anyway I first saw this movie when it used to get shown on the Sci-Fi channel now and then like 20 years ago, and was even very briefly on Netfix when streaming Netflix was first a thing. But other than that the only way to watch was a really low quality Japanese rip on YouTube until now.

So give it a chance, it's perfect background noise viewing and is goofy as gently caress.

Hilariously, the title card in the US is, indeed, EDGAR ALLEN POE'S THE BLACK CAT. There is zero relation to this.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 18, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, I watched The Church because its "unofficial Demons 3" and it fit my nerdy completionist April franchise goal. Are you telling me there's unofficial Demons 4, 5, and 6 too?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, I watched The Church because its "unofficial Demons 3" and it fit my nerdy completionist April franchise goal. Are you telling me there's unofficial Demons 4, 5, and 6 too?

The "series" goes up to 7!!!!!

Demons
Demons 2
Demons 3 (The Ogre, The Church, and a couple of other flicks)
Demons 4 (The Sect)
Demons 5 (Mask of the Devil)
Demons 6: De Profundis (aka Black Cat)
Demons 7: Inferno (aka Dark Tower)

We only got up to Demons 3 in the US with The Ogre, I believe Japan is the only country to actually get all the way to 7 with it.

I've never seen Mask of the Demon or Dark Tower but all the rest I can say for sure are worth seeing on some level. The Sect is Soavi's take on Rosemary's Baby and The Ogre is directed by Lamberto Bava. Not a great flick but the opening is real good and there's some good stuff in it later on.

Something hilarious about Demons 7 that I do know though, that movie is Dark Tower in the US, but it's also been released in the US as The Curse V (fourth sequel to a 1987 Spanish horror movie called The Curse)!!!!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 18, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well drat.

Might be a little late in the month to try to track all that down now but maybe an October goal.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you do go for it, every single one was officially released in the US (and in some cases re-released relatively recently too like The Church and Black Cat) and should be relatively easy to procure a copy of/find streaming in English except for Mask of the Devil.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If anybody else has temporary free access to Epix, they have a ton of old movies on there along with a handful of newer releases.

Child’s Play remake - this was a lot more fun than I expected. I thought the ending could have had a bit more action perhaps. When Andy picked up the hedge trimmer & axe I thought he would do more than get knocked out, but I guess he’s no Ashley Williams. Should have kept the other kids in there too. This movie could have been so, so much worse but thankfully it keeps a pretty playful tone instead of trying to be super-serious like a lot of these remakes (I mean it’s a killer IoT doll after all).

The Rift - 1990 C-tier underwater movie. Supposedly Dino had some money left over from Leviathan and made this knock-off of a knock-off. Directed by a Spanish dude who didn’t speak English. Absolutely dire in most respects - the acting, writing, cinematography, production design (pretty sure submarines don’t have standard ceiling tiles), etc are all trash. The only reason to watch this thing are the monsters which are good but sadly there’s too few scenes of them. The only thing I knew about this movie going in was screencaps like this and, like, of course I’m going to watch that (that thing is only in the movie for like 30 seconds though).

Epix even has The Church on there so I know what I’m watching tonight :woop:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Should I watch Demons

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
uh, yeah

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neo Rasa posted:

If you do go for it, every single one was officially released in the US (and in some cases re-released relatively recently too like The Church and Black Cat) and should be relatively easy to procure a copy of/find streaming in English except for Mask of the Devil.

It seems a little too daunting from my quick searches, especially when I read like Bava spinning off and Ogre just being 1 of 4 of a series and stuff and gets all my nerd things firing. But I'm thinking maybe a deep dive into Italian supernatural horror in October with this stuff, Fulci, Argenton, Bava, Soavi, etc. Last couple of years I've started to explore it a bit but I've barely cracked the surface.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Should I watch Demons

Seems like a good idea yea

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Should I watch Demons

Demons 1, 2, and The Church are dope as hell.

The Church is one of my favorite demon based movies ever.

It also has a kickin' rad song in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgr3j1jfao

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/icecube/status/1251560804823863301

Ice Cube remains the loving best.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Should I watch Demons

you gotta watch Demons

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Demons 1, 2, and The Church are dope as hell.

The Church is one of my favorite demon based movies ever.

It also has a kickin' rad song in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgr3j1jfao

This, all three of these movies fuckin' rule. The Church is my favorite personally.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Should I watch Demons

I'm trying hard not to be personally insulted, as the thread's seemingly most vocal fan.

Basebf555 has From Beyond, kvlt! has Rob Zombie anything and Evil Bong, I won't shut up about Demons. (And Demon 2. And The Church.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Demons , The Church, Demons 2.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I'm trying hard not to be personally insulted, as the thread's seemingly most vocal fan.

Basebf555 has From Beyond, kvlt! has Rob Zombie anything and Evil Bong, I won't shut up about Demons. (And Demon 2. And The Church.)

Its me, the "Hellraiser sequels" guy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Its me, the "Hellraiser sequels" guy

I like 2 & 3. I don't really like Bloodlines or Judgement. Which others are worth trying?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s like asking how much of the puzzle box you should open. In for a penny, in for a pound, they have such direct-to-video delights to show you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I like 2 & 3. I don't really like Bloodlines or Judgement. Which others are worth trying?

Give Hellseeker a whirl. And I'd go for Hellworld if you want an ultimate holy poo poo how did this even get made worst thing ever level experience.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hellraiser 7: Deader is not just the best Hellraiser sequel but a legit good movie in its own right

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve now seen 6 out of the 7 Bad Ben films.

Bad Ben Facts:

-Although advertised as one series, Bad Ben is actually a full-fledged Cinematic Universe/Multiverse with at least three distinct interlocking storylines.

-“Bad Ben 6” is the crossover film, the Bad Ben equivalent of Destroy All Monsters!

-Half of these films are genuinely good. These are also, luckily, the three most essential Bad Ben films.

-For the record, those three are: Bad Ben, Badder Ben, and Bad Ben: The Way In. Unofficially, this is the Tom Riley trilogy. (Tom Riley as protagonist is the series’ main draw.)

-As a warning: Steelmanville Road (aka Bad Ben 2) and The Crescent Moon Clown (aka Bad Ben 5) are borderline unwatchable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Hellraiser 7: Deader is not just the best Hellraiser sequel but a legit good movie in its own right

Is Deader the one with the reporter following the resurrection cult because if so yeah that one's good too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kari Wurher from Eight Legged Freaks, yeah

Its also so very clearly not a Hellraiser script, just a random good script they Ctrl-F'd 'demons' for 'cenobites' and called it a day

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 18, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’ve now seen 6 out of the 7 Bad Ben films.

Bad Ben Facts:

-Although advertised as one series, Bad Ben is actually a full-fledged Cinematic Universe/Multiverse with at least three distinct interlocking storylines.

-“Bad Ben 6” is the crossover film, the Bad Ben equivalent of Destroy All Monsters!

-Half of these films are genuinely good. These are also, luckily, the three most essential Bad Ben films.

-For the record, those three are: Bad Ben, Badder Ben, and Bad Ben: The Way In. Unofficially, this is the Tom Riley trilogy. (Tom Riley as protagonist is the series’ main draw.)

-As a warning: Steelmanville Road (aka Bad Ben 2) and The Crescent Moon Clown (aka Bad Ben 5) are borderline unwatchable.

I'm going to have to binge these.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sigher posted:

I'm going to have to binge these.

If you’re going to go down this road, I can’t stress enough that the proper viewing order is 1-3-6.

Bad Ben 2 is purely some bizarrely complicated lore/backstory with no relevance to the rest of the films, and Bad Ben 5 is a spin-off that’s way too padded for its runtime. Both are briefly interesting, but for hardcore Bad Ben fans only.

Bad Ben 4 is optional, because it’s a series of short films set in alternate universes. But, that being said, the first short is wonderful.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I will die on the Hellraiser: Inferno is a decent movie hill.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think most of the hellraiser direct to DVD sequals are charming in a schlocky way.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Baskin is the best Hellraiser sequel after part 2.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Should I watch Demons

Lol yeah

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Ben is a bad mother-

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was in agony the entire watch through of Hellraiser. From 3 onward it was just a miserable nightmare of stupid ideas and the destruction of an iconic villain.

Scott Derriksons was a bright spot. But it was still mediocre.

The one with Mayhem and Kirsty was so stupid and i felt so bad for her for coming back for that hack trash.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I really like 3. It's an absolutely stupid movie, but it's entertainingly stupid, and I could watch Doug Bradley chew scenery forever, so it's a solid bonus that the movie is roughly half "Pinhead hamming it up" by volume.

Bloodlines is also okay. Past that, you're legit lucky if a sequel is even watchable, let alone actually kinda decent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that pinhead so much. It offends me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok I spoke too soon, because The Haunted Highway (aka Bad Ben 7) is the funniest goddamned movie ever made.

Director Nigel Bach has adopted a sketch-comedy format, so the usual pacing issues are out the window. It’s a legitimate horror-comedy masterpiece.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Here is the 9 minute long video of the 2k scanning of Sleepaway Camp for the Shout Factory release

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Is this what the kids refer to as ASMR? Because I totally see the appeal.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i have that sleepaway camp blu-ray sitting on my sub. that's tonights movie when my partner goes to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Rented Underwater earlier and it was pretty ok. It's a very dark movie. Not tone-wise. I understand it takes place at the bottom of the ocean but drat I couldn't see half of the movie. The giant sea monster reveal was cool but the movie overall was pretty generic.