Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Orion Burger is a 90's point-and-click adventure game developed by a company called Sanctuary Woods. Orion Burger is an interstellar fast-food company in need of new sources of protein and it's decided to choose Earth as it's new target. Environmental pressure has forced them to use only unintelligent sources so they now conduct tests on their subjects before making a decision to harvest them. Surely a major corporation wouldn't rig a test for their own benefits, right? This game centres around a man called Wilbur who gets select at random, but things don't exactly go quite to plan... This is a traditional point-and-click adventure which also features a time loop mechanic which hopefully won't be too irritating.

LP details

This is going to be a VLP and I will be recording commentary as I play the game. This is the first playing this game, I will try to make it play smoothly as I'm able too. I will update with one video each and every Sunday until completion.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
'Allo mate.

Just chiming in to say your post in the New LP Thread links to the wrong thread. :)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Rushputin posted:

'Allo mate.

Just chiming in to say your post in the New LP Thread links to the wrong thread. :)

Thank you for letting me know, I've fixed it now.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, that was a lot of conversation unrelated to alien abduction, but I presume it's going to be relevant later for...getting toxic waste in our hair?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Polsy posted:

Well, that was a lot of conversation unrelated to alien abduction, but I presume it's going to be relevant later for...getting toxic waste in our hair?

I wasn't expecting there to be so much dialogue, especially about hair wax. He was remarkably calm for someone who was abducted by aliens, strapped to a table and impending annihilation of the human race.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I played the demo for this way back in the day, so I'm looking forward to seeing the full game.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I really hope this isn't the kind of game that locks you out of stuff by making the wrong choice! We need to spin that lazy Susan and get radioactive hair! I mean, we don't know why yet, but this is an adventure game, so we obviously do!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the lead character really needed better voice direction, the other characters seem way more suited to their roles. Also there is way to much redundant dialogue in this game, they could have gotten away with half as much.
That said, I'm interested in seeing where this game is going and why I've never heard about it until just recently.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur pisses off Harry and then explores some more of Boonsville. Wilbur visits the town hall and speaks to the staff member... members... each department and then he goes home to visit Aunt Polly. There is a lot of dialogue in this video as we speak to numerous... characters, guess how many lines there are about aliens!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Wilbur explores the rest of Boonsville, gets abducted again and then gets distracted by a lovely gentleman. I was hoping to complete the first test but I wasn't expecting an interruption towards the end of the video, I wasn't expecting for the game to crash either!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, the old 'you lose everything except your memory of how events play out'. Not sure it makes actual sense that you lose your items between abductions but it's less complicated to write the game that way.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

They clearly put a lot of effort into this. Surprised I've never heard of it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I remember seeing a trailer for it on a game disc in the Windows 3.1 era, but I can never remember which game that was. I always wanted to play it, but when I finally managed to track down a playable copy, I never got anywhere. I probably just need more patience, or to resort to a walkthrough.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The main problem I foresee with this game, especially without a walkthrough, is that the reset mechanic will start to tire after a while. It would be fine for me if the items remained in the inventory so you didn't have to spend time trying picking everything back up again. A constant reset every now and again really cuts into experimentation with puzzle-solving without a guide close-by. But on the other hand, having a walkthrough means that you can blow through the first test in about five minutes and ignore most of the game world entirely.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Tombot posted:

I think the lead character really needed better voice direction, the other characters seem way more suited to their roles. Also there is way to much redundant dialogue in this game, they could have gotten away with half as much.

Yeah, hearing Wakko have all these conversations is really off-putting.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He is a voice actor, and he has a name. His name is Robert Paulsen.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

No, I'm pretty sure his name is Wakko, and he's unemployed and lives in a water tower. The Brain is the one who worked as a voice actor.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Kangra posted:

His name is Robert Paulsen.

His name was Robert Paulson.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur manages to pass the first two tests with relative ease. I was expecting this recording to be messy but it went okay. It turns out that we only needed the hair wax to pass the first test, you're thrown into the second test immediately afterwards and that's where objects from Boonsville come into play. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the game introduces some time-saving mechanics when you reach certain milestones.

As for the voice acting in this game, they employed some very talented people: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234707/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Rob Paulsen who has already been mentioned (He played Yakko, not Wakko in Animaniacs) who has a plethora of acting credits under his name.

Jim Cummings who also has hundreds of acting credits to his name, voicing the Narrator and numerous other voices in Animaniacs are only a small handful.

Dee Bradley Baker, another voice actor who has been busy over the years, probably more well known these days for being Klaus on American Dad!

We hear Elizabeth Daily for the first time in this game, who has voiced Tommy Pickles, Buttercup and also dozens of more characters over the last two or three decades.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
For a game made in 1996 the voice acting and animation on this is really impressive! They really nail the timing of the lines, which is something a lot of voiced games don't seem to put the effort into. Compare and contrast with this, which was released fifteen years later.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Are there no subtitles for this game? It's very beautiful otherwise.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Whybird posted:

For a game made in 1996 the voice acting and animation on this is really impressive! They really nail the timing of the lines, which is something a lot of voiced games don't seem to put the effort into. Compare and contrast with this, which was released fifteen years later.

It was one of those years when a lot of companies were throwing money at this new-fangled CD-ROM concept because they saw how Myst made mucho moolah and thus, lots of very weird concepts got the green light with real budgets for stuff like that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

Are there no subtitles for this game? It's very beautiful otherwise.

There aren't any, unfortunately. I'll always enable them if they're available.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Ah, well. Thanks anyways, RBD.

Whybird posted:

Hmm, that's a remastering of a game that originally had no voice lines, though. I feel like that's an extenuating circumstance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was and still is pretty common for even good adventure games to not really look all the great beyond their backgrounds. As the money slowed down animations stopped being any kind of priority.

I suppose it was to teach you to put kibble on the floor so you could roll the gerbil UFO over to the wheel but Wilbur just stepping on it several times should probably just condemn humans right then and there.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Some people need to be smacked in the face with a Clue by Four.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur continues onwards and completes the Sensory Perception Test. The recording segment of this game was very :bang: inducing. Even though I didn't hang around too much in the last recording, if you take too long reaching some puzzles you are locked out of completing them unless you reset the game world again.

I was :derp: for an hour trying to get Aunt Polly to move. Every time I spoke to her she just repeated a line and just stood there. I was looking through walkthroughs and watching videos but nothing was working. I was at the brink of giving up until I thought that there may be a state in the game where she hadn't done something in particular. So I reset the game world, raced straight over to her house and this time, it worked. But I had forgotten to move the barrier and by the time that I got there, Burl was already at the diner. I managed to get to the barrier and then to Aunt Polly's in time, but then the game crashed.

Later on, I reached a puzzle and the guide that I'm using has the wrong setup order. So I ended up slightly confused and then inadvertently reset the game world.

I was having issues with navigation in one area until I figured out the mechanics of it, I decided to re-record that area as the first attempt was taking far too long as I kept taking wrong turnings.

I'm enjoying this game but this section was a nightmare for a variety of reasons. :burger:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 26, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, that whistle section definitely needed some work. I'm pretty sure it makes no difference where in the room you're standing so they should at least just have you auto-whistle every time you move.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Polsy posted:

Yeah, that whistle section definitely needed some work. I'm pretty sure it makes no difference where in the room you're standing so they should at least just have you auto-whistle every time you move.

It wasnt clear at all as some rooms where getting the same response no matter where you were standing. Some rooms did have a change in response with different doorways. It was a bit of a confusing mess. Mazes in adventure games are usually a pain in the arse.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It seems odd that Wilbur was going on about how bad the Orion Burger tastes. Did I miss something, or is this just a reaction to knowing where it comes from?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It wasnt clear at all as some rooms where getting the same response no matter where you were standing. Some rooms did have a change in response with different doorways. It was a bit of a confusing mess. Mazes in adventure games are usually a pain in the arse.

The second/third responses are always 'about the same' because you're in the same room - sometimes the first response is also that, but only if the room you moved to is the same distance as the last room you were in. It would've been better if it actually did react to where you were because as it is you have to move randomly and then immediately check if you did it right.

Gnoman posted:

It seems odd that Wilbur was going on about how bad the Orion Burger tastes. Did I miss something, or is this just a reaction to knowing where it comes from?

They did shove it in his face in the previous video but it didn't seem like he really got a taste. Maybe the smell's enough to convince him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was just the "shove something in someone's mouth while their talking about how much they don't want it" gag without enough animation.

Anyways I thought clicking the teleport button was the "I want to take the next test" button? You don't time travel until after you pass/fail the next test so the hermit is still gone when they pull the island into orbit.

Very curious how one exterminates with words. Unless you're logicing a computer to death.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Maybe they can be talked to death.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, someone other than me who's played Orion Burger :stare:.

I've still got my game CD of it somewhere, I think...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur passes the fourth test by taking some extreme measures. We're almost at the end of the game now and our alien friends have taken some extreme measures themselves. I've just realised that I forgot to check out the gizmo that was in the inventory during the fourth test.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo, someone other than me who's played Orion Burger :stare:.

I've still got my game CD of it somewhere, I think...

I have no memory of playing it but for some reason that title music felt really familiar to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gort posted:

I have no memory of playing it but for some reason that title music felt really familiar to me.

The weird thing I remember is the Robot Gerbil sounds, because I got stuck on that trial for aaages. It was the pre-internet days :sigh:.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The weird thing I remember is the Robot Gerbil sounds, because I got stuck on that trial for aaages. It was the pre-internet days :sigh:.

Ah the days when the backs of gaming magazines had gaming tips, cheats and floppies/CD/DVDs of demos and guides taped to the front.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Wilbur passes the final test and confronts Zlarg. This is the finale of Orion Burger and I'm not going to spoil how things progress.

This is one game that I didn't have an opportunity to play when I was younger and I'm glad that it's happened now. I really didn't know what to make of it when it first started especially with the reset mechanic. But on the whole, the concept and story were pretty enjoyable. Playing this with a guide made the experience very pleasant, I can't imagine this being half as pleasant without a walkthrough.

I'm going to head back into familiar territory with the next game, Beneath A Steel Sky, which should hopefully start next Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

An interesting game, though perhaps a bit uneven in places. Worth playing at least once, from the look of it.