Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
When my dad was on chemo and didn’t want to eat anything I made him something similar to that okra & tomato shrimp dish and he literally licked the plate clean. It made me happy.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Making a gumbo because I needed something to do

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I will make etouffee on Monday (tomorrow is carnitas). There will be one or more photos.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Where are y'all getting the seafood for this? I've been trying not to leave the house and I don't have a giant freezer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I keep some shrimp in the freezer.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Freezer shrimp, door dash. But the protein selection is definitely not what it used to be before the ‘rona.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mushika posted:

Where are y'all getting the seafood for this? I've been trying not to leave the house and I don't have a giant freezer.
Don't forget that everyone on the Gulf Coast's cousin's brother-in-law's uncle has a shrimp boat and they still haven't hear about the 'rona in Port Fourchon/Gautier/Bayou La Batre

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Don't forget that everyone on the Gulf Coast's cousin's brother-in-law's uncle has a shrimp boat and they still haven't hear about the 'rona in Port Fourchon/Gautier/Bayou La Batre

Fuckin' this. Ain't anyone stopping the shrimp boats. The Rouse's here is also stocked with just about everything but of course the hand sanitizer and paper products.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

My aunt's fourth husband was our main source of seafood until Grand Isle bit it in '05.

Yeah, I'm from here. I'm just hungry.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There's a couple of 'the shrimp guys' that set up in a parking lot with an ice chest in the back of the truck around here that usually have decent stuff and would probably happily toss you a bag of shrimps if you tossed them a ball of cash from a safe distance. Maybe some of them are delivering now? Shrimp guy delivery service actually seems like a pretty good idea even in non-rona times.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Stupid Instagram link but I laughed

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_LKNFUBRuS/?igshid=1a6otnam8padv

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Just gonna watch this on repeat for about 3 to 2 hours.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Shrimp guy delivery service actually seems like a pretty good idea even in non-rona times.
When I was growing up in Minnesota, there was a dude who would drive up from the gulf every Wednesday and hawk shrimp to local lawyers and doctors at a premium. He'd get $25/lb for jumbos in 90's dollars.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dik Hz posted:

When I was growing up in Minnesota, there was a dude who would drive up from the gulf every Wednesday and hawk shrimp to local lawyers and doctors at a premium. He'd get $25/lb for jumbos in 90's dollars.

The manager of a local restaurant near where I went to college would put out a fresh lobster sign whenever they had cocaine to sell.

Probably sold to a lot of doctors and lawyers, too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dik Hz posted:

yeah, these still exist but they're mostly companies with a bunch of trucks that go to set destinations. I buy from Fabian, for example. they set up their truck and coolers in the parking lots of convenience stores, mostly. https://www.fabianseafood.com

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mushika posted:

Seeing a sign on I-20 that says "JUMBO SHRIMP $5.99 LB" with no other instructions and taking the next exit.

Ok, I wish I could do that and have the shrimp last 36 hours in a truck minifridge.

I was talking with a buddy today about hot sauce. I know the main LA hot sauces are Crystal and Louisiana with the red dot. Are there any other suggestions? He can go super hot but wants a good flavor profile and not just heat heat heat.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I made a shrimp / crab pan roast, more Las Vegas style than Louisiana (though I'm sure the LV one is a stolen New Orleans recipe):

I have to say, this is one of my favorite meals I've ever made.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Frozen uncooked shrimp is really not all that bad to use for most things

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bluedeanie posted:

Frozen uncooked shrimp is really not all that bad to use for most things

Yup.

I haven't had much access to non-frozen shrimp since moving away from the gulf and most of the time I can do good stuff with the bag frozen ones. I don't think they are a downside except for like if you wanted to do a really nice presentation with some jumbos or something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They don't have quite the same delicate flavor of really fresh shrimp for where that matters like plain boiled shrimp (royal reds, yum) but I'd agree for most stuff frozen are totally fine. Most shrimp you'd buy at the grocery store seafood counter were frozen at some point anyway.

Fresh shrimp will actually keep okay for at least 24 hours if they are on plenty of ice.

Might have to find me some shrimps this weekend.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They basically freeze it on the boats anyway.

As far as hot sauce I’m partial to Melinda’s, which I guess is not Louisiana but I think is delicious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CannonFodder posted:

I was talking with a buddy today about hot sauce. I know the main LA hot sauces are Crystal and Louisiana with the red dot. Are there any other suggestions? He can go super hot but wants a good flavor profile and not just heat heat heat.

I would still recommend Crystal for that type of use.

Honestly I don't get into a lot of different hot sauces though but Crystal has more flavor than heat vs the other big one.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They basically freeze it on the boats anyway.

As far as hot sauce I’m partial to Melinda’s, which I guess is not Louisiana but I think is delicious.

Please don’t buy Melinda’s. It’s the it’s the company of the original shitbird distributor of Marie Sharp, who trademarked poo poo from under her, and then started selling without her.

Buy Marie Sharp’s sauces.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Please don’t buy Melinda’s. It’s the it’s the company of the original shitbird distributor of Marie Sharp, who trademarked poo poo from under her, and then started selling without her.

Buy Marie Sharp’s sauces.

That’s a shame, I didn’t realize that. I appreciate you pointing it out.

So it’s not Louisianan but Belizean. It was the first sauce I had here back in the 2000s that I thought was unique and good, and not generic vinegar hot sauce #29. If Marie Sharp’s sauces are like the original one then by all means buy them!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That’s a shame, I didn’t realize that. I appreciate you pointing it out.

So it’s not Louisianan but Belizean. It was the first sauce I had here back in the 2000s that I thought was unique and good, and not generic vinegar hot sauce #29. If Marie Sharp’s sauces are like the original one then by all means buy them!

I legitimately like the Marie Sharp’s better too. In an interview, she said that to save costs, the original distributor stopped using her fresh Belizean chili mash and started buying cheap fermented mash from Costa Rica.

Marie Sharp’s will be a more fresh flavor. Might be less matched to Cajun/Creole stuff though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

And it doesn't even have a bunch of lead in it anymore!

it's good stuff

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Also not particularly Cajun but I've been really digging Valentina hot sauce lately. It's not particularly hot but the flavor is fantastic - and as my heat tolerance has gone down, for me that's a feature not a bug.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ok, so the beach I go to in NC reopened and I promised my wife I'd take her down there and cook for her. I'm definitely doing the shrimp and okra recipe y'all linked for me this weekend.

One other thing I want to do is a shrimp boil. I'm thinking andouille, corn, cajun seasoning, lemon juice, potatoes. Am I missing anything?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dik Hz posted:

Am I missing anything?

Nope, you’ve got breaking quarantine and being selfish down pat.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The_Doctor posted:

Nope, you’ve got breaking quarantine and being selfish down pat.
I can quarantine a whole hell of a lot better in my beach house, dawg. There's a greater chance of transmission using the railing to my third floor walk-up than there is in my stand-alone beach house. I will come no closer than 10 yards to anyone other than the fishmonger (and my wife) while I'm down there. I am well versed in proper PPE and procedures for minimizing transmission. But, thanks for your shitposting. No idea what it has to do with Cajun and Creole food, though.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 29, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Ok, so the beach I go to in NC reopened and I promised my wife I'd take her down there and cook for her. I'm definitely doing the shrimp and okra recipe y'all linked for me this weekend.

One other thing I want to do is a shrimp boil. I'm thinking andouille, corn, cajun seasoning, lemon juice, potatoes. Am I missing anything?

Bay leaves, onions, couple heads of garlic. For a boil I'd just use kielbasa imo.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Several months ago I was at the grocer in town that we don't use for our regular shopping but is on the way home from work so I stop there for occasional things we forgot or need in a pinch, and discovered they sell packaged boudin links. I bought a few of them and stuck them in the freezer for gumbo, which we recently made. I sliced them uncooked as I would the andouille we use and threw them in the pot fairly early in the simmer. Their rice content caused them to effectively dissolve pretty early It gave the whole gumbo a nice meaty, sausagy flavor, but also gave it a kind of lumpy, mealy texture, which wasn't wholly unpleasant but also wasn't the desired end result.

To get the sausage to retain its shape, should brown or roast the boudin first before it goes in the pot? Should I throw the links in whole and try to slice when done? Or should I just double up on the andouille as I have in the past and forget boudin gumbo as folly?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

To get the sausage to retain its shape, should brown or roast the boudin first before it goes in the pot? Should I throw the links in whole and try to slice when done? Or should I just double up on the andouille as I have in the past and forget boudin gumbo as folly?

boudin's kinda its own thing and you don't really put it in gumbo

if you really wanted to, you'd need to just cook it separately and serve it alongside gumbo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dik Hz posted:

I can quarantine a whole hell of a lot better in my beach house, dawg.

Ahh, you didn’t say you had a beach house. I thought you were just rocking up to the beach now it was open. Apologies.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah boudin doesn't have the consistency to cook in stew. It's basically a thin casing loaded with loose stuff, as opposed to smoked sausage and andouille which are smoked (or double smoked) and therefore solid.

If you want boudin with your gumbo probably cook it separately as eke out says, over a grill, or bake it, then eat it with the gumbo on the side. You could also cook it in the gumbo whole, but then the best way to eat it is to cut the casing open and squeeze the filling out of it, as opposed to cutting it up into pieces.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Make fried boudin balls and float them in your bowl of gumbo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Make fried boudin balls and float them in your bowl of gumbo.

Or make boudin egg rolls and serve on the side. I recently did this since flour paper is so drat cheap at the asian markets. And find a jar of pepper jelly too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

really anything to get your boudin crispy is optimal, since it tends to be so, so soft

or, alternatively, lean into it being very soft but serve it with crisp things and treat it as basically a pate. for instance, it works great as the centerpiece of a small charcuterie board with like, pickles, toasted bread, and mustard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dik Hz posted:

Other things I've seen thrown in boils with varying effectiveness have been asparagus, artichokes, and mushrooms if you just want more veg in there.