Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

There is no specific good transformation for a dex build, but it's probably not Gifts. Gifts increases your base attack to 150%, but completely kills the scaling. This may be a good deal early game, but pretty quickly results in a loss of power, even with weapons and veils with poor scaling. Other than that, it also increases the effect of some gifts affecting the equipment itself by 50%. Note, it does not make gifts stronger per say, it just makes them have a greater effect on the piece of equipment with Gifts itself.

Let's take an example, say you have two one handed swords equipped, one with Gifts and one without. If you cast Final Journey, it will normally increase the attack of your weapons by 50%. However, the weapon with Gifts will have its attack increased by 75% (150% of 50%) instead. Likewise, bridge to glory normally increases your attack by 50% of your light gift stat, but the weapon with Gifts will get 75% of your light gift stat instead. Note that in both cases, only the weapon with Gifts receive the increased benefit, the other gains the normal benefit. This even works with passive gifts, one handed sword mastery will increase the attack of the weapons without Gifts by 20% and the weapon with Gifts by 30%. Not all gifts are affected though, Swift Destruction for example will still increase the damage of a weapon with Gifts by 10%/20% respectively, it does not get bumped up to 15%/30%. Finally, Circulating Pulse itself would not be affected if used with the weapon with Gifts since Circulating Pulse doesn't affect the weapon itself.

Gifts on your blood veil will in practice only make the drain attack and your gifts stats weaker due to you killing the scaling.

As for a good blood veil transformation, Normal or Drain could work. Fortify is good if it doesn't change your mobility, but I bet it would and Alleviation is only useful for improving mobility which you can't if you already have quick. If your blood veil has both a strength and dexterity scaling, Intesify will probably make the drain attack stronger than Normal, but your gift stats will suffer for now. The higher your level, the better Intensify is. Try out Drain and revert to normal if you don't like it.

Thanks I will check it out.

I am basically at the final boss after defeating Skull King. I wasn't expecting him to be hard since all the solo bosses after the duo boss were a relatively easy but he was more challenging than I anticipated. The final buff he does at the end surprised me and he has a lot of hp. Probably the hardest solo boss for me thus far. Going to see if the Virgin boss is hard. So far he seems a bit easier but the camera angle is hosed.

One thing I found wildly differ than Souls is that in boss fights in Code Vein you have to have perma locked camera but many Souls fights you can play without the camera lock because the enemy's tend to be slower.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Nearing my final fight with Skull King for the first time and just realizing that there are a number of Depths maps that are hidden behind the otherwise forgettable NPC fetch quests along the way. Are those time-gated so that, if I wasn't doing them, I can't go back and progress through them (some appear to involve the same NPC at multiple locations throughout the story) now at the end?

Likewise, if I *can* go do them, is there any sort of lockout to do so? Can you beat Skull King and the final boss and still go back to complete a few leftover vestiges in the Depths before progressing to New Game Plus?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
You can still go back and complete them, yes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The only lockouts in-game are related to the four Successor of the ____ boss fights (which by extension dictate what ending you get), and by this point in the game I expect you know what I'm talking about there. For alternate resolutions to those you'd need to NG+.

Anything else you can backtrack for, including sidequests, Depths maps, gift unlocks, optional blood codes or vestiges, you name it. Sidequest NPCs might require you to go to a different map or progress some other sidequest before they'll continue. But if you keep warping around to different zones until you run out of flashy blue symbols on each menu-map, you'll eventually resolve all the sidequests. Don't forget to check Depths for sidequest progress either, but luckily if you do need something in one of those it'll be there in your first visit (because it's to fulfill a sidequest given by the person who gave you the map in the first place).

Note that some late sidequest rewards include RV Mastery items that teach unique gifts, in addition to Depths maps. And some, admittedly, are just "I did all this hoofing about for that?".

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 19, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished the game just today. All in and all it is a pretty Souls type game. I think the changes they made with the ability to change class + gifts made it unique enough to distinguish it from the Souls game. The only thing I didn't like is the design of some areas like Cathedral look like ripped out Anor Londo. In general the enemy design and levels are very generic. The story was more interesting than I thought it would be.

The gameplay is honestly pretty good and I preferred the much faster pace of the combat it is like Bloodborne but even faster and it has the diverse builds like Souls.
The only thing I didn't like was that the game is way too easy with companions, the ai doesn't seem to have any way of juggling aggro properly, I thought the game was very average until I started playing solo and I had actually use my buid + buffs and figure out a strategy. The regular mobs were still giga easy, reminded me of DS1 with how easy it was to backstab things.

Canooner & Blade Bearer, Skull King and Reborn Queen's Knight were really AMAZING fights. I played Bloodborne for the first time this year and finished Sekiro as well. Those boss fights are right up there as being super well designed and masochistically hard especially the C & BB was so challenging solo. Was literally shaking after getting the last hit on some of these.

Most disappointing boss fight would be Juzo who was hyped throughout the whole story but was pretty easy especially coming off the boss you fight before it. The last boss was also very underwhelming, he just has a cheap one shot and a lightning spell with no rhyme or direction and lots of HP. Was a pretty boring fight but I found Phantom Assault is super effective vs him..

Anyway if there is a sequel or a story expansion, I'll play it again.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Playing solo, I had problem with the butterfly boss and the invading pole-dancer, but the queen's knight and the successor of ribcage fell easily enough. It felt like I just wasn't able to deal enough damage to the earlier mentioned bosses. I'm not surprised though, I did get the impression that earlier bosses would be harder to solo than later ones.

I wonder why the game gives you the two sword type masteries fairly early, but locks bayonet and halberd mastery until much later. That said, Impaler and Mia's Brodiea seem to have no problem competing with all swords I've tested so far. Maybe I've just happened upon the bad swords though, weapons in this game do not seem anywhere close to equal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need a DS fix and I've beaten them all a million times.

Is this a solid game beyond all the anime garbage (I love anime garbage)?

Edit: Actually, gently caress it. I only really care about the dress-up aspect.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 20, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Decent game, sort of like a halfway point between God Eater and Dark Souls. Feels pretty rough, because it's the dev's first real foray into Soulslikes, but if you can deal with that, it's solid.

Dress-up is mostly limited to avatar customization, but that part is crazy detailed. You can give yourself fake chest hair by half-placing a fur hat into your own torso.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inzombiac posted:

From my experience (I admit I haven't played The Surge 2), this is the best Soulslike not made by From Soft, so yeah, you'll have a good time with it. E: I haven't played Jedi Fallen Order either, that looks decent.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 20, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

From my experience (I admit I haven't played The Surge 2), this is the best Soulslike not made by From Soft, so yeah, you'll have a good time with it. E: I haven't played Jedi Fallen Order either, that looks decent.

Yeah I agree with this. It's not without its flaws, mostly in level design and enemy variety, but it's got good combat and lots of build variety and room for experimentation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Having played both, The Surge 2 is definitely the better game overall, in my opinion. The mechanics are just generally more complex and the game is better balanced around single-character encounters. Also, the level design isn't hot steaming garbage and as such the different places you visit are actually kinda fun to explore.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If it's the dress up aspect you're caring about, it's very robust in some areas, but very shallow in others.

The game allows you to add a lot of accessories and it counts pieces of hairdo, like pigtails, as accessories. This allows you to a great extent customize your hairstyle. For example, if you want a girl with twin pigtails, you're not limited to hair styles who already has them, you can pick any hairstyle and then add the pigtails. There are also other ways to get creative, such as the previously mentioned chesthair.

However, the default outfits are very limiting and there's surprising few selections. Boys have functional outfits, but they feel rather similarish. Girls have the opposite problem, their outfits are very varied, but most of them are weird and have a narrow appeal. To get it out of the way; a lot of the girl outfits are scrimpy. Even the scimpyness is handles strange, mass appeal options like the classic bare midriff is not there, instead they went with a slew of narrow appeal options. While the accessory options are rather robust, you can do very little in terms of actual clothing, so you're stuck with what they give you. Overall, I got the impression that there was an artist with too much say who choose the outfits that appeal to him rather than the masses.

As for the game as a whole, it's fun, but still Dark Souls/Bloodborne minus. I enjoy it, but I don't see myself playing it as much as those two games.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It has it's weaknesses but the ability to almost completely revamp your build at any rest point makes it a lot of fun to mess around with stuff.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
You can switch builds in the middle of a boss fight, even.

Ulio posted:

Most disappointing boss fight would be Juzo who was hyped throughout the whole story but was pretty easy especially coming off the boss you fight before it.

Juzo Mido is one of those fights that can be easy or very hard depending on build and RNG. Even after several playthroughs he's still the boss that I'm least confident of getting on the first try.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Definitely worth imo. I think I got 50 hours + easily and did only like half the side dungeons.

Like I said the areas, enemy/level design isn't on DS level. It is more generic but the combat is super fast paced if you play with a quick dex build you can basically i frame anything which is an amazing feeling, your only down time on damage is when you let stamina recover but there is even a mechanic to recover all your stamina in 1 go. I recommend playing solo though as it is way more challenging + fun.

I went to my sekiro ng++ save after finishing this and man its gonna take me a while to re acclimate. Sekiro feels so much slower even though you have no stamina.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Beat the game for the first time Saturday night, went through the doors to begin New Game +, aaaaaaaand... it hung forever on the saving/loading screen. Had to alt-f4 out and when I did, the entire night's progress (pretty much the entire Provincial center and the final two bosses) was gone.

...I think I'm done until the DLC comes out. I don't know when else I'll have it in me to play through those three hours again.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just started playing through this, and while it is pretty fun, it does have some annoying bits I could do with. Is it just me or does the camera just feel kind of not great? It always seems a little too close to let me see what's going on in a fight, especially in close quarters, and the game seems to love close quarters. When I lock on it wants to angle downward too much, especially on tall enemies, so that any tells for their attacks are lost off the top of the screen. It's manageable but just feels off enough to be frustrating. I'm learning a new appreciation for the Dark Souls cameras which usually just worked without ever having to think about it.

Also I was really pissed to find out that the E key is hard coded to 'interact'. Why are console ports always so dumb about this? "Here are your keybindings you weird PC player, they cover 90% of the buttons you'll need, and we'll hard code the other 10% so any binds you make are unusable anyway, enjoy!" I normally use an ESDF setup, which therefore becomes useless if there's anything interactable nearby. Especially if you need to interact and then move. Like, say, trying to climb a ladder. I'm struggling through with a controller, but even with the sensitivity cranked up to max it seems to take forever to do a 180. Which is why I really prefer M+KB in these 3rd person games, even though everyone insists controller is better.

But hey, outside of that I am having fun running around with my anime vampire murder waifu.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

whoops wrong thread

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It looks like the DLC has started releasing for this game. Has anybody gotten it? Is it any good?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I played through Hellfire Knight today. It's a very short DLC, just one depth level with two minibosses followed by the main event. The Hellfire Knight himself is comparable to the hardest fights in the main game. It took me over 8 minutes to kill him on the winning run so he's very tanky, he can routinely one/two-shot you, and it's not a fight where you can run away and heal safely.

It also gives a bunch of new items and customization options but these are locked behind achievements for doing the boss fight in specific ways. For example if you use Louis's blood code to beat the fight then you can unlock an alternate Louis costume. If you beat him with a one-handed sword only, then you unlock a new sword. Or if you can dodge three attacks in a row (not too hard) you unlock a new blood veil. So if you're the sort of person who likes doing challenge runs there's a good amount of unlocks to get. Otherwise if you're only interested in doing it once then it's going to feel much too short (especially for $10).

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
That doesn't seem worth it to me and I'm going giving it a pass. To be honest, I don't want a DLC, I want a Code Vein 2. Code Vein is fun enough to play, but has some serious flaws that a Code Vein 2 could fix, but a DLC cannot.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I finally started this and I think overall I like it despite the incredibly boring levels, but it kinda feels like their approach to difficulty tuning was a dartboard and they threw in AI companions who can solo the entire game to make sure it never produced anything impossible. Like, doing the butterfly solo was a great boss experience that demolished me on the first pass but was pretty trivial once I learned the attacks and adjusted my loadout to match the fight. Then I hit miku last night and it seemed pretty good and did a better job teaching bait-before-heal behavior than any Souls boss, but it was getting late and I was impatient so I decided to try her with a companion once just to see how much of a difference it would make. It was over in seconds and I don't think I even needed to be looking at the screen.

Do later areas get more visually interesting/have better enemy design or is it Videogame Hallways forever? Right now I feel like I want to just let a companion smash through the giant boring levels and then kick them out so I can actually play the boss fights.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Visually interesting" is something that you could argue about. The Cathedral of Blood is honestly kind of pretty in terms of the elements of its design, but it's also a bunch of walkways criss-crossing over each other at precise right angles. I don't know what that would add up to for you, but personally, I never really thought it got a whole lot better in that sense. Like, it terms of being a Dark Souls style visual spectacle? It never reaches that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

I finally started this and I think overall I like it despite the incredibly boring levels, but it kinda feels like their approach to difficulty tuning was a dartboard and they threw in AI companions who can solo the entire game to make sure it never produced anything impossible. Like, doing the butterfly solo was a great boss experience that demolished me on the first pass but was pretty trivial once I learned the attacks and adjusted my loadout to match the fight. Then I hit miku last night and it seemed pretty good and did a better job teaching bait-before-heal behavior than any Souls boss, but it was getting late and I was impatient so I decided to try her with a companion once just to see how much of a difference it would make. It was over in seconds and I don't think I even needed to be looking at the screen.

Do later areas get more visually interesting/have better enemy design or is it Videogame Hallways forever? Right now I feel like I want to just let a companion smash through the giant boring levels and then kick them out so I can actually play the boss fights.

Ya I think the way to play the game is solo. I thought the game was awful when I played with a companion because I literally didn't have to use any healing items. That's the boss I did with the companion and after that I ditched that system. You can redo boss fights in the chalice dungeon thingy so I did end up fighting the butterfly demon solo but it was easy by that time since I had gotten good at the game.

There is imo only 1 boss that seems like it was programmed for 2 people and people who finished it will know which one I am talking about.

Cardiovorax posted:

"Visually interesting" is something that you could argue about. The Cathedral of Blood is honestly kind of pretty in terms of the elements of its design, but it's also a bunch of walkways criss-crossing over each other at precise right angles. I don't know what that would add up to for you, but personally, I never really thought it got a whole lot better in that sense. Like, it terms of being a Dark Souls style visual spectacle? It never reaches that.

Cathedral of Blood is basically a Anor Londo straight copy pasta and the layout is so loving confusing. Some of the later levels like the Crypt area have some more interesting visual elements and it actually incorporates traps which makes the environment a challenge(something Fromsoft loves doing Sens fortres/blighttown).

I want to play the dlcs but the reviews make it seem like it's just 1 boss battle and nothing else is new.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I enjoyed the cathedral. I like three dimensional level design

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that seems like a remarkably low bar for an area with incredibly repetitive design that all looks the same

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ulio posted:

Cathedral of Blood is basically a Anor Londo straight copy pasta and the layout is so loving confusing.
Only in terms of color scheme, really. The whole "literally grown from vines of stone" thing isn't something you see in any part of Anor Londo. There might be an inspiration there, but if you put them side by side, nobody would confuse them for each other.

And yeah, the layout is loving godawful. This is where I stopped playing the game and haven't been able to bring myself to pick it back up since.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the layout is obnoxious but in a way that i found added to the character of the place, like it was meant for tall teleporting knights to traverse and not a brace of anime nerds

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I probably would've considered it more charming if I had been one of said teleporting knights instead of a scraggly anime boi who can't find the way back to his corpse for the third time in a row.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ulio posted:

There is imo only 1 boss that seems like it was programmed for 2 people and people who finished it will know which one I am talking about.

I'd say more that boss is programmed to reward people for proper use of (elemental) defenses, but yeah, it definitely helps to have a second body in there.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I am pretty bad at this sort of game so I enjoyed having a buddy to help me kill things.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The balance is weird because the bosses are way too easy with a partner but the areas are mega tedious without one.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I am pretty bad at this sort of game so I enjoyed having a buddy to help me kill things.

Ya this is totally fine my response was to people who find it too easy because it is easy for some people who have played a lot of these games and the people who love "souls" games tend to replay these games a lot so they get really use to the mechanics.

Vil posted:

I'd say more that boss is programmed to reward people for proper use of (elemental) defenses, but yeah, it definitely helps to have a second body in there.

Ya i remember posting about that boss here and people were telling me to use the defensive buffs. I remember if used ice/fire defensive tonics I would not get hit in a few instances but why I said I felt like the boss was programmed for two people is because there was very little down to heal. I can actually see that boss being easy solo. Because in DS1 even if you did OrnsteinSmo with a partner, the boss had a 2nd phase after the first kill so it didn't really get easier but this fight there is no 2nd phase.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kanos posted:

The balance is weird because the bosses are way too easy with a partner but the areas are mega tedious without one.

Pretty much my experience. Problem stems from being a souls game with one of the shittiest estus ever, you need like 3-4 uses to heal similar damage in darksouls/bloodborne. There is a code later on that addresses this but its pretty much right before the endgame.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I found the cannon fodder enemies fun enough to solo, but some the bosses ended up boring me, in particular the sand one that has a way too long run distance between tries. Regardless, I solo most of the stuff and bring a partner whenever soloing stops being fun.

Anyway, anyone else finding that some weapon categories have very few good weapons? When it comes to halberds, I've yet to see any good reason to use any other weapon than the Obliterator or the Impaler. As for hammers, the only one that seems good is the Argent Wolf Warhammer. It can get 100% physical block, has good damage at higher levels and an area sweep attack for every basic attack. I can see a case made for Huge Hammer with a shockwave build though.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's a bit of a problem. Some weapons are just plain "the same but better" than others in a way that Souls games typically try to avoid.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I heard all the DLC for this game was pretty bad compared to the main game. What do people here think (and preferably why they think it's bad/not bad)?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like this game but I really feel the character customization is rather lacking. I hope if there's a sequel they let you just unlock different clothing pieces you can mix and match and build your own anime fashion souls instead of give you some default outfits you can add/remove pieces from and glue things to. One of the things I love about games with detailed character creation is unlocking cooler and cooler clothing items as I go along and this game doesn't really seem to have anything like that. Everything seems unlocked from the get go and that's that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm trying to learn to parry. How do I tell whether I pressed the button too soon or too late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

I like this game but I really feel the character customization is rather lacking. I hope if there's a sequel they let you just unlock different clothing pieces you can mix and match and build your own anime fashion souls instead of give you some default outfits you can add/remove pieces from and glue things to. One of the things I love about games with detailed character creation is unlocking cooler and cooler clothing items as I go along and this game doesn't really seem to have anything like that. Everything seems unlocked from the get go and that's that.
Outside of the veils that usually obscure what you created which feels like a big mistake.