Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

DeathChicken posted:

Slowly wading through Hard and this game has so many little touches I never even noticed the first time. Like Aerith cheers you on from the background in the church fight. Never would have even noticed, since it requires spinning the camera in a weird way to see her.

Based on the fact that Aerith is about as much of a fighter as Cloud, you have to realize that she just likes watching people get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So if you want to know just how wrong a human being can be a friend of mine just said Barret's VA is not very good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ms Adequate posted:

So if you want to know just how wrong a human being can be a friend of mine just said Barret's VA is not very good

What a dummy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ms Adequate posted:

There are definitely times where he goes a little over the top but he sells the small moments very well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I can see why Barret's VA might not be to some people's taste because at his loudest, he's pretty much cutting wrestling promos left and right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barret's VA is in my mind the standout of the core cast, and the rest are all pretty good. He's called on to provide the most range of any performance and he nails both extremes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There are definitely times where he goes a little over the top but he sells the small moments very well.

He should go over the top more often

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

is it worth it to steal from bosses? it fails so often but maybe there's something missable?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Everyone I know thought Barrett was bad in like chapter 2 or 3. By the time you’re in endgame you see the most range out of him and he’s imo super likeable

Artelier posted:

is it worth it to steal from bosses? it fails so often but maybe there's something missable?

One boss, at the end of train graveyard, gives you a weapon for aerith. I think that’s about it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's only one boss you need to steal from, and yes, it's a missable.

Aerith has a weapon that can only be stolen from the last boss of the Train Graveyard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Onmi posted:

So, talking about FFX got me thinking about how the localization was in the place of "You must match the same audio length of the file otherwise the whole game will crash" and bringing it back to VIIRE I was watching Max finish the game last night only to hear the tidbit that for lipflaps in this game, they used an AI to generate them based on the voice actors performances, and then went and touched those up. Meaning that lip flips would match every dub without issue.

And that's fuckin' fascinating to me as technology, especially when you remember the FFX localization hell.
What the gently caress, I spent the whole game thinking it was a bad dub because none of the lip flap looked ok to me. Zero, nothing looked ok ever.

Maybe I've had a small stroke.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man, Bahamut is kind of ridiculous. I think I only managed to even pressure him once, and I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Magnify on Healing or Barrier.

And stuff it Chadley, it's your own fault for going overboard.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Onmi posted:

And there's some good steals a third champion's belt, another Circlet.

Wait where are these, I completely missed them

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How hard is the postgame stuff? I just beat the game (loved it) and I want to play more. I really liked the battle system and wanted to do more of that stuff but already by the end of the game I was dreading having to do some of these boss fights without ethers

It can be made way easier by grinding out certain materias. I'd recommend elemental, hp up, mp up, chakra, and prayer at the very least. Also, look up Barrets healer build where he doesnt have to use any mp at all. That made all the hard VR missions a breeze for me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Veib posted:

Wait where are these, I completely missed them

The Champion Belt is on the Grungy Bandit when (Chapter 13) Cloud, Tifa, and Barret are going through the collapsed tunnels after checking on Marlene at Aerith's house.

I missed it myself, and I don't think that enemy respawns. I have no idea on the Circlet.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Artelier posted:

Besides what was mentioned, you can also steal champion belts(10% hp, 5% str) from grunge bandits. You run into 3 or so the whole game starting at ch9(might depend on what set of sidequests you get too I'm not sure).

But yea otherwise there's not much worth stealing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 19, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DeathChicken posted:

Slowly wading through Hard and this game has so many little touches I never even noticed the first time. Like Aerith cheers you on from the background in the church fight. Never would have even noticed, since it requires spinning the camera in a weird way to see her.

I loved this one, that they shield their eyes in front of this intense light. I was hoping Barret wouldn't since he was wearing sunglasses but he shields his eyes too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One way I think they could improve on the combat system for the next 6-7 remake games would be to give items their own separate ATB bar, with more powerful items taking longer to recharge. I think this would help to improve the button:awesome connection for actual character abilities while being able to better balance item usage for future Hard Modes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RatHat posted:

Well yes but you can’t change Materia in combat so unless I know I’m going to fight that enemy again it’s too late to equip Steal for it. Not very good for a first playthrough.

Press start, "Restart from last battle" places you just before the boss, takes 5 seconds. Seriously if this game didn't have so much QOL like... everything, I'd complain.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I want ff15 style link strikes were you get get canned animations with your party members while hitting a staggered enemy.

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Dude VII was popular enough that they gave it an extended universe that is comparable to loving Star Wars.

Final Fantasy VII
Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Last Order: Final Fantasy VII (Anime)
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
On The Way to a Smile (novels)
On The Way to a Smile - Denzel (Anime)
Final Fantasy VII The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story (novel)

And yes, I have played/seen/read all of the above (well technically I watched Before Crisis as it was never released outside of Japan.)

Edit - I forgot Final Fantasy VII: G-Bike, although i've never played that either as it was Japan only, too.

You missed a Turks mobile game I think

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Man, Bahamut is kind of ridiculous. I think I only managed to even pressure him once, and I'm not sure if I'd be better off with Magnify on Healing or Barrier.

And stuff it Chadley, it's your own fault for going overboard.

It's a battle of patience. He's manageable as long as you have ATB saved up to hit focus attacks on him as soon as he starts counting down, as stagger will knock him out of that countdown. Barrier + Magnify or Carbuncle helps too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Rude is probably my favorite boss in this game. It isn't terribly difficult, but it's just fun as hell the way it turns into a bullfight where you have to keep drawing him off of Cloud with Aerith, and meanwhile he won't do anything to her except Sleep Bombs and non-lethal judo chops.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Traveler posted:

You missed a Turks mobile game I think

That was Before Crisis.

There was a Dirge of Cerberus mobile game, however, which did nothing but bridge together two chapters.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I'm replaying the original FFVII on PS1 for the first time in 20 years and loving it. I don't think I ever really got the materia system when I was ten but now I'm whooping rear end and looking forward to random battles. Linking an "All" materia with an offensive spell changes everything...I'm cleaning up house with Bolt. And I like how equipping offensive materia gives a bonus to magic and cons to physical stats, I guess to encourage having a sort of dedicated caster.

I just stole a Hardedge and a bunch of Carbon Bangles from these random dudes in the Shinra tower so I'm about to mop up this fool Hojo. I honestly don't remember anything about the story other than the biggest plot points.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Can anyone explain on the summon meter actually works? Cause it'll just randomly start charging and I don't know what triggers it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's only one boss you need to steal from, and yes, it's a missable.

Aerith has a weapon that can only be stolen from the last boss of the Train Graveyard.

GUESS WHAT I JUST FINISHED oh well next roundddd

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's only available during certain battles. When it's full, you can summon a creature if you have enough ATB. Certain ones require two bars. That's really it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

E2M2 posted:

Can anyone explain on the summon meter actually works? Cause it'll just randomly start charging and I don't know what triggers it.

Certain fights just seem to be flagged as "hard" encounters that will have the summon meter pop up. That's about all there is to it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

E2M2 posted:

I would like to know this as well. It feels like the summon bar appears when you're getting hurt a bit, and not every party member's summon is available. Many times I could only choose one of them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I would like to know this as well. It feels like the summon bar appears when you're getting hurt a bit, and not every party member's summon is available. Many times I could only choose one of them.

Some summons take two bars to summon, while others only take one. I've also heard some of the "bigger" summons can't be summoned in some more limited areas, but I haven't experienced that to confirm.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Chapters 10-13 :smith:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I've also heard some of the "bigger" summons can't be summoned in some more limited areas, but I haven't experienced that to confirm.

Yeah in my experience there are three sizes of summons, in that they need a certain amount of space to be able to be used

Bahamut and Leviathan are big
Shiva and Ifrit are medium
Cactuar, Chocobo Chick and Carbuncle are small

I don't know if Fat Chocobo is big or medium and if Choco & Mog is medium or small, because I mainly used the first four listed as I got them (C&M being small would definitely make sense to me since it's the first one you get)

Most boss arenas seem to be big enough for anything you could have at that point, so this rarely comes up but it's there. At least there's no FF15-style limitations like "can only summon Leviathan near water"

Veib fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 19, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This might be a weird thing to care about, but I think it's kind of nice that they didn't use "jiggle physics" for Tifa except for when she's wearing that dress to try and seduce Don Corneo. They also used it for Corneo's gut.

Also, the other day I found out Don Corneo literally means Mr. Horny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Important:

https://twitter.com/pixievalkyrie/status/1249087217651367937?s=21

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Keep in mind that Leviathan is non-elemental for some reason

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Skeletron posted:

I'm replaying the original FFVII on PS1 for the first time in 20 years and loving it. I don't think I ever really got the materia system when I was ten but now I'm whooping rear end and looking forward to random battles. Linking an "All" materia with an offensive spell changes everything...I'm cleaning up house with Bolt. And I like how equipping offensive materia gives a bonus to magic and cons to physical stats, I guess to encourage having a sort of dedicated caster.

I just stole a Hardedge and a bunch of Carbon Bangles from these random dudes in the Shinra tower so I'm about to mop up this fool Hojo. I honestly don't remember anything about the story other than the biggest plot points.

Lol, you can break the game really easily with materia combos

Just wait until you can equip Quadra Magic + Ultima :)

Also as soon as you master an All materia sell it, you get 1.4m gil and they level up stupidly fast.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Leviathan is also the worst boss fight in the game because so much time is spent not doing damage. There's way too much blocking dives and running after it to the other side of the arena and pinging it while it's flying and poo poo

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You can also break the early game with Enemy Skills, as soon as you get Cait Sith and the manipulate materia, you can get Big Guard, White Wind, and possibly Beta, as well as soon getting Trine and Aqualung. As soon as you get to Wutai you can get Magic Hammer, which can make ethers obsolete.

Also https://twitter.com/No_X_in_Nixon/status/1251794759829655557?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Veib posted:

Leviathan is also the worst boss fight in the game because so much time is spent not doing damage. There's way too much blocking dives and running after it to the other side of the arena and pinging it while it's flying and poo poo

Yeah, I didn't exactly understand the "proper" way to do that fight. He'd spend literally minutes flying around out of range of everyone but Barret while a bunch of vortexes lazily moved around the battlefield sneaking up on you to do damage. And during those phases, sometimes he'd just be totally immune to damage from Barret's attacks, and sometimes he wouldn't? With no apparent rhyme or reason?

Also, I feel like I need some sort of guide for what some of these materia actually do. Some of the descriptions are just really vague or weird on how they work, like the ATB Assist and Skill Master materias.