Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What the gently caress is Lovely But Deadly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A movie about how drugs are bad, and how you shouldn't do drugs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

A movie about how drugs are bad, and how you shouldn't do drugs.

And yet it's a movie whose plot and script could only have been written on drugs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I paid for a Shout! Factory subscription to go with my Amazon Prime subscription. I have seen so much MST3K in the last week that I have the lyrics to the Joel era mostly memorized. Manos: The Hands of Fate is such an utterly wretched movie. It is a loving miracle that the costume is so cool and an even greater miracle that anyone ever found a copy of this movie for the show to riff. I still can't even tell you what happens in that movie because my immune system treats all memory of it like a disease.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I mean, not in so many words, but "Manos"

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Manos is really fascinating to me, because it seems like there COULD have been something decent there, but it was hampered by a combination of budget and incompetence. "Family stumbles into weird cult, cult starts to break up while creepy, supernatural stuff happens to the family," at least sounds like it could be the pitch for a real horror movie. But then all the characters just do the dumbest stuff at every possible turn.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And all the technical limitations too! I loved finding out that the camera they filmed it on could only take 30 seconds of footage at a time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The actor that played Torgo committed suicide by shotgun a month before the movie opened.

Pretty hosed up when you consider the riff about how every frame looks like the last known photograph of everyone in the movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Star Man posted:

I paid for a Shout! Factory subscription to go with my Amazon Prime subscription. I have seen so much MST3K in the last week that I have the lyrics to the Joel era mostly memorized. Manos: The Hands of Fate is such an utterly wretched movie. It is a loving miracle that the costume is so cool and an even greater miracle that anyone ever found a copy of this movie for the show to riff. I still can't even tell you what happens in that movie because my immune system treats all memory of it like a disease.

Is there anything on this channel that's NOT on their free shoutfactorytv website?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there anything on this channel that's NOT on their free shoutfactorytv website?

I don't know. I have the free 30-day trial right now and it's only three bucks a month after that. But I presume that's just the rider price for Amazon Prime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The main character of Lovely but Deadly sure is bad at investigating the drug trade seeing as how she completely misses the fact that her boyfriend runs part of it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also Lovely: Irwin Keyes who you may remember as the big galoot from Oblivion 1&2 has a part as a moronic goon.

This guy is growing on me, I wonder what movie I'll see him in next.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Hey, Irwin Keyes! I remember him as Bruno the Bigfoot from Sam & Max Hit The Road. Most talking he ever did in a role, I think.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I just remember him as the guy who says "he's dead" at the beginning of Black Dynamite.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm ashamed that the first Irwin Keyes role I remember is Brutus from the Sega CD game Double Switch.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rise of Skywalker is now out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ninja Warlord sort of owns. There's plenty to riff, but it's the first martial arts movie I've seen on RiffTrax in a while that's seemed competent for what it is.

My big complaint is that the good guys and bad guys each have their own skinny weirdo comic relief dude and the two never face off.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It looks like Starship Troopers, Fast & Furious, and the Sixth Sense are free on the app. Anyone finding similar things on the website?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Mike, Kevin, Bill and the entire RiffTrax family posted:

Like many of you at home, we have been monitoring the evolving situation with the COVID-19 pandemic closely. Taking into account the health and well-being of our fans, crew, and staff, we have made the decision to postpone June 11th’s RiffTrax Live: Hobgoblins show....

Working with Fathom Events and the major theater chains we have reserved a tentative new date for the show of August 6th. If the theaters are not fully back in business by August, we’ll give everyone plenty of notice for a new date. No matter what, the show will go on!

Oh, and "all RiffTrax Live riffs are 20% off - no coupon code required!"

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 7, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm watching Ghosthouse for the first time in years and I forgot how the first guy to bite it looks like Peter Capaldi and the mortician looks like Jordan Peterson.

Also the director is Umberto Lenzi, who believe it or not made some non-inept films.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 7, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rifftrax is offering a free rental for the Time Chasers sequel!

https://www.rifftrax.com/axcellerator

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

RandomPauI posted:

They're showing it on twitch with David Giancola chatting. You're missing out on pearls of wisdom like:

quote:

David_Giancola: Movies are designed to expand and contract

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Last night Bill posted a screenshot of the end credits for something they're working on. Looking into it, it appears the next riff will be Suburban Sasquatch.

I watched a couple YouTube clips and it's Rollergator/Feeders level of cheap. Possibly too stupid for RiffTrax.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RLM did that one and it is completely bizarre.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any relationship to the hit sasquatch mating simulator, "Urban Yeti"?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I added a vote for RIfftrax to do Johnny Mnemonic. How can you not do a riff on a movie with a scene like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSwyMHvXsuU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

muscles like this! posted:

RLM did that one and it is completely bizarre.

Yeah it's one of the more well known micro budget shot on video movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Also they just put the movie up on their Youtube channel.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Gavok posted:

Last night Bill posted a screenshot of the end credits for something they're working on. Looking into it, it appears the next riff will be Suburban Sasquatch.

I watched a couple YouTube clips and it's Rollergator/Feeders level of cheap. Possibly too stupid for RiffTrax.

I own it and it's perfect for them. It's incredibly cheap and bad, but if you watch the "bonus features" the director made, it was made completely in earnest; it's like if Tommy Wiseau worked at a high school (there's one scene in a "newspaper office" that is clearly just the staff room at a school, because you can see the football team practicing outside the window). He thinks there is a deep environmental message throughout. There's a wonderful segment about the development of the sasquatch costume...

THAT HAS A HUGE DANGLING WANG AND TITS FOR SOME REASON

It's so gloriously incompetent in some similar ways to Feeders, but it goes so much further with things like:

• The "Native American" with a toy bow and modern camping tent for a "teepee"

• Bigfoot throwing a severed arm at a guy (that he just ripped off the guy's friend) so hard it kills him instantly
  • The "police officers'" costumes

• Bigfoot drinking blood from a severed foot

• Capturing bigfoot in a horribly rendered net

I could go on and on, this movie never stops, it is way more entertaining than Feeders.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All cops are brownshirts?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Hey guys looks like Amazon now has volumes of shorts available and volumes 8 and 11 are on Prime.

I've watched a couple so far. The second half of a traffic safety short blaming pedestrians and a short about the WAVES in WWII.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Also, from what I remember of RLM looking at it, they only have one sound effect for the Sasquatch roar. So it's just doing "Grarararar" on repeat.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

How do Plex users typically organize their RiffTrax?

I set up a Plex server, and the way Plex handles RiffTrax is kind of weird. If you import them like films, then it thinks they’re the normal, un-riffed versions. However, it looks like the semi-official solution is to tell Plex that RiffTrax is a TV Show, and Plex will treat it like a show where each “season” is a different type of video: short, live show, etc.

I thought the TV-show method was weird (because it’s not a TV show), so I let Plex think they’re the unriffed films. To keep them from getting mixed up with regular films, I just put all the RiffTrax in their own separate library. I also manually changed the cover images to the RiffTrax posters, which isn’t much of a hassle. In practice, it doesn’t matter to me what Plex thinks the movie is. When RiffTrax is all in its own library, then the user is never going to be confused.

I’m just curious if anyone else has had to solve the same problem, or if there’s something I’m missing.

(Also: are the files you download from RiffTrax also called RiffTrax? Is RiffTrax singular or plural? Can you have just one RiffTrack?)

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 17, 2020

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
I have 3 separate libraries - Rifftrax for movies (they just match to the unriffed movies except for the live shows), Rifftrax Shorts (a movies library that I could probably combine with the main rifftrax folder), and Rifftrax Series (TV library for things like Total Riff Off, the Batman serials, and one-off TV episodes they riffed).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I use their "Other Video" library instead of movies. They are actually really good about embedding some metadata on the VOD stuff so there's a bit of a description similar to what's on their website. Then I manually copy the image address for the poster from their site and add that. The only thing that kind of sucks is the year that gets attached is the year you added the file, not anything about when it was released (and I'm too lazy to go fix it).

Same goes for the shorts.

There's technically a Rifftrax "series" in TheTVDB that gets used for TV library metadata agents, but it's a pain in the rear end since it includes both shorts and features. I dunno about you, but my collection is way too huge to reorganize to fit that structure, and last I checked it was somewhat flawed.

I don't have a "Rifftrax" anywhere in my file names, just the containing folder that the library points to. I do use the tags feature a lot to make things easier to find....I have a "Bridget & Mary Jo" tag, mainstream movies, live shows, various series like Twilight and Star Wars, etc. Simplifies finding one to watch when I know I want a Rifftrax of a certain flavor and don't want to sift through my whole library.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Cool, thanks guys. Sounds like keeping libraries separate is the way to go.

I do like how Plex will auto-generate recommendations of “top movies” based on each movie’s credits.

congrats David. :downs:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In Kodi I just use the TV thing for the shorts, and put the feature length Rifftrax in my regular movie library. I use a smart playlist to look for "Rifftrax" in the file path, and a second smart playlist that is every movie besides that. I need to make another one that is stuff where I have the mp3s to go with the movies, rather than the baked-in ones.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

In Kodi I just use the TV thing for the shorts, and put the feature length Rifftrax in my regular movie library. I use a smart playlist to look for "Rifftrax" in the file path, and a second smart playlist that is every movie besides that. I need to make another one that is stuff where I have the mp3s to go with the movies, rather than the baked-in ones.
Oh drat look at you being all smart. I keep most my Rifftrax in movies/rifftrax/ with a subdirectory for shorts with a .nomedia because the scraper is always going to guess wrong on those. I like your smart playlist idea instead of falling back to just browsing by file. Hot drat I love Kodi I didn't even think about playlists which are perfect for this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bridget and Mary Jo put out another Sherlock Holmes movie riff and I’ve got to wonder, what is the deal with stupid Watson? I guess he’s supposed to be comic relief but he’s just so dumb it isn’t funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dumb Watson is like the easiest trap a writer can fall into and it's played for the cheapest of laughs in all those Basil Rathbone films.

My favourite treatment is still the Jeremy Brett series (which you can find on youtube): Watson is the charismatic 'people person' to Serlock's cold a-social Intellect.