Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I specifically meant games that run slightly better on 6 real cores/12 threads than 4 cores/8 threads, like Battlefield or the modern AssCreeds. And yeah I wouldn't get a Ryzen 3600 for streaming, but in that situation it would at least be noticeable (not enough to replace the 7700k though).

For games alone it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Shoenin posted:

Cool, good to know that it is overkill. Whats a good card to get that reliably plays at 1080p? Thanks for letting me know 750w is also unnecessary, gonna find a good 650w instead since I did see more affordable ones.
and yeah im probably going to be using the drive.

Also how come just get a regular 3600 if im getting a cooler? 3600X doesnt need one or come with one?

You can look at a 1660S or 1660Ti for great 1080p paired with a 3600. And yes, as already mentioned, the reason I mentioned the cooler part was because the 3600x comes with a slightly better cooler than the 3600. If you are getting a cooler anyways, just get the 3600. You aren't going to notice a difference between those two chips in terms of actual performance, so you might as well save yourself a little bit of money and just get a 3600.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm not referring to a 7700k, just a regular one thus no overclocking and slightly lower stats.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That is about 5% slower again so again, not really anything you'll notice. What's your mainboard/RAM?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Hey all, I'm looking at getting a computer for gaming and watching blurays.

It will be connected to my 48inch TV and I want it to basically last throughout the next console generation.

Processor i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

MotherboardASUS® PRIME Z390-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBsMemory

(RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti

1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s

Power SuppyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650

Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler

Those are the basics I want to be able to run Cyberpunk on the highest stuff and run most other stuff over the next generation including ready or not (if that comes out)

Any input would be nice

Thanks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VoLaTiLe posted:

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a computer for gaming and watching blurays.

It will be connected to my 48inch TV and I want it to basically last throughout the next console generation.

Processor i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

MotherboardASUS® PRIME Z390-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBsMemory

(RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti

1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s

Power SuppyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650

Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler

Those are the basics I want to be able to run Cyberpunk on the highest stuff and run most other stuff over the next generation including ready or not (if that comes out)

Any input would be nice

Thanks

Since expense doesn’t seem to be a factor, add a 256GB NVMe SSD for a boot drive. I don’t think I could ever go back to not having one.

E:maybe make it a TB, the new consoles are gonna have NVMe drives so it’s likely more games will actually take advantage of them.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 19, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I can't get over how un-drive-like the NVMe drives look.

If I bought the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard and I bought a cooler, should I get the Dark Rock Pro like others are getting in this thread?

A couple of other questions:

This motherboard can accommodate an NVMe drive if I understand things correctly since it has 3 M.2 slots - this is correct, right?

If I use an aftermarket HS/fan, will something like the Dark Rock overlap ram slots? Just asking because I ran into that problem on my current build and I'd like to avoid it with this one.

If no one knows the answer or can recommend a board where this won't happen, thank you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, you’ll for sure be good to use an NVMe drive

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vasler posted:

I can't get over how un-drive-like the NVMe drives look.

If I bought the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard and I bought a cooler, should I get the Dark Rock Pro like others are getting in this thread?

A couple of other questions:

This motherboard can accommodate an NVMe drive if I understand things correctly since it has 3 M.2 slots - this is correct, right?

If I use an aftermarket HS/fan, will something like the Dark Rock overlap ram slots? Just asking because I ran into that problem on my current build and I'd like to avoid it with this one.

If no one knows the answer or can recommend a board where this won't happen, thank you.

I own this very board, there is only one m2 slot and you will lose the use of SATA ports 5 and 6 if you use the m2.

If you really would like 2 slots, IIRC the Rog Strix has those.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i must compose posted:

I have been seeing some high cpu usage and spikes in games especially in VR.

I would start with maintenance -- check CPU temps to see that your heatsink isn't full of dust, look at other running software, see if known CPU-hogs like windows search indexing are crapping up your performance.

A 7700 was a recommended CPU for high-performance VR back when it was new, and even though that was a few years ago VR games haven't really pushed for higher system requirements.

Vasler posted:

A Dark Rock Pro is overkill for a 3600 or 3700X. You'd be pretty fine with a Dark Rock 4, Noctua U14S, or Scythe Mugen 5 B, all of which will have no ram clearance issues.

If you did get a Dark Rock Pro because you want your build to be near-silent even at load or something, it can clear ram slots like in this image or with the fan moved to the opposite side. Only the most super-tall oversize RGB blinkenlight ram won't fit at all. Dry fit things inside the case to figure out how it will go together best, then mount the cooler on the board outside the cast so you have workspace. Big coolers are great but require a bit of stop, look, think during the build process.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Klyith posted:

I would start with maintenance -- check CPU temps to see that your heatsink isn't full of dust, look at other running software, see if known CPU-hogs like windows search indexing are crapping up your performance.

A 7700 was a recommended CPU for high-performance VR back when it was new, and even though that was a few years ago VR games haven't really pushed for higher system requirements.

Thanks, I disabled the windows search indexing and I hope it makes a difference. CPU temps look fine and the pc looks pretty clean inside. Here are my full stats:
Motherboard Z270P-D3
GPU RTX 2070
16 Gigs DDR 4 Ram (2 sets of 8)
CPU i7-7700 at 3.6
750W PSU (it's old)
1 SSD with 500 gb
1 HD with 1 TB

I am kind of feening to upgrade the PC anyway because the case I have it in is very old and cramped (I bought a prebuilt PC and gutted it over the years). It's very cramped in the case with the RTX 2070 barely fitting, and that's a small version to begin with. I probably need to replace the PSU and if I do that it's gonna be a nightmare so I'll probably buy a case. I saw a Tomahawk mobo for 70 so I bought it thinking I'd probably upgrade to a 3600 but now I'm wondering if that's stupid. I can probably play around with about 500 dollars to do anything with this so any advice is appreciated. I do really think the i7-7700 is holding back the computer though as I notice stuttering in certain situations, especially anything with a lot of physics happening. One game in particular which drives me nuts is Walking Dead Saints and Sinners on VR but I also noticed a lot of stuttering on Half Life Alyx. These are both regardless of GPU settings but maybe the games are just badly optimized.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I own this very board, there is only one m2 slot and you will lose the use of SATA ports 5 and 6 if you use the m2.

If you really would like 2 slots, IIRC the Rog Strix has those.

Thanks for the heads up. If I got this motherboard and this drive, would I lose SATA slots? I...have a lot of hard drives. Is this a good motherboard? It seems like it has a lot of slots, bells and whistles.

It's kind of hard to tell from pictures since I've never used an NVMe drive, but do they just plug in to the M.2 slot?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i must compose posted:

I saw a Tomahawk mobo for 70 so I bought it thinking I'd probably upgrade to a 3600 but now I'm wondering if that's stupid.

It's not stupid if the 7700 is giving you trouble in VR! I was more against the idea of upgrading for nebulous "is it faster" before you said there was a specific problem. And that does sound like a problem, maybe the 7700's much lower boost clock than the K types is a choke. Someone ITT last month got a 3600 and said it fixed their VR smoothness issues, though they were starting from an older CPU iirc.

A good case and a quality PSU are always good investments. PSUs are scarce right now if you're in the states though.

If your DDR4 memory is good for reuse that would also be a big plus for hitting your budget. Ryzens really like ram that's DDR4-3000 or above. If you're not sure what ram you have, you can grab cpu-z and post a screenshot of the "SPD" tab.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I had a 7700k (4.5 all core delidded liquid metal on custom water cooling) with a GTX 1080 and in newer games it was choking hard on that CPU. 4/8 just doesn't cut it in well threaded titles which are growing more common. I switched to a 9900k and other than ubisoft quality games it gave me a significant bump in minimums and smoothed out the frame time variance in several newer titles. (Off the top of my head shadow of the tomb raider doubled its minimum framerate to the point where the minimum on the 9900k was higher than the average on the 7700k.)

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. This is the memory I have from CPU-Z.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vasler posted:

Thanks for the heads up. If I got this motherboard and this drive, would I lose SATA slots? I...have a lot of hard drives. Is this a good motherboard? It seems like it has a lot of slots, bells and whistles.

It's kind of hard to tell from pictures since I've never used an NVMe drive, but do they just plug in to the M.2 slot?
Yes, on that mobo both m.2 slots can be used at the same time as all 6 sata ports. (The X570 chip has a ton more IO on it.)

That's a good mobo though at over $200 it's not the best for the money. Gigabyte has some good X570 boards in that range, the Aorus Elite is superior to that Asus and the Gaming X is $50 cheaper for very little difference in quality for anyone who isn't into heavy OCing or buying the massive 3950X cpu.
(MSI's X570 boards are not as good.)

edit: also yes M.2 drives plug into the socket, no wires. the action to plug them in is a bit odd, they slide in at an angle and then you kinda fold them down. mobo manuals have illustrations, read the manuals.

i must compose posted:

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. This is the memory I have from CPU-Z.

Can you do the "SPD" tab? If it's blank choose a different slot in the dropdown. That screenshot shows your ram is running at DDR4-2100 (not great) but maybe it's capable of more.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 19, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Yes, on that mobo both m.2 slots can be used at the same time as all 6 sata ports. (The X570 chip has a ton more IO on it.)

That's a good mobo though at over $200 it's not the best for the money. Gigabyte has some good X570 boards in that range, the Aorus Elite is superior to that Asus and the Gaming X is $50 cheaper for very little difference in quality for anyone who isn't into heavy OCing or buying the massive 3950X cpu.
(MSI's X570 boards are not as good.)

edit: also yes M.2 drives plug into the socket, no wires. the action to plug them in is a bit odd, they slide in at an angle and then you kinda fold them down. mobo manuals have illustrations, read the manuals.

Awesome, thanks! In Canada the Gaming X is around the same price as the Asus and the Aorus is quite a bit more expensive so I'll go with the Gaming X.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help with all my questions! I'm super excited now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I can totally see a 7700 with slow RAM being a problem in VR.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Klyith posted:

Can you do the "SPD" tab? If it's blank choose a different slot in the dropdown. That screenshot shows your ram is running at DDR4-2100 (not great) but maybe it's capable of more.

Related to this, in the AMD thread a little while ago, I was having trouble getting 4 sticks of DDR-3200 RAM to run at its 3200 MHz XMP profile and you mentioned it was a limitation of running 4 sticks in daisy chain, but also mentioned that I could maybe increase the CAS timings to get all 4 sticks to run at 3200MHz. Is there some sort of guide to help me out with that? Would simply bumping up the voltage beyond 1.35v help me reach 3200MHz on all 4 sticks, or is that not recommended?

I've been running the RAM at 2933MHz no problem, but now I'm starting to game more on the machine now that I'm in quarantine, and was thinking maybe a bump to 3200MHz might increase performance a little... or would the jump from 2933 to 3200 not even be noticeable in a game like Valorant running at 1080p?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It wouldn't, especially not if you have to increase timings to even reach 3200 in the first place. What CPU is it?

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of Ryzen RAM OC, I'd start with 1usmus' guide: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0196AWLGK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Here's the specific ram I have.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Was cleaning out some drawers of old computer parts and found this old sales order from 2001.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

orcane posted:

It wouldn't, especially not if you have to increase timings to even reach 3200 in the first place. What CPU is it?

If you want to go down the rabbit hole of Ryzen RAM OC, I'd start with 1usmus' guide: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

I can run 2x8GB sticks at the 3200MHz XMP profile no problem. I upgraded to 4x8GB sticks (all matched modules) and can only get the PC to boot if I set the XMP profile to the 2933MHz one, and have been running it at that config for a little while now, but since I'm quarantined, I'm starting to use the PC more for gaming. CPU is a Ryzen 3 2200G on an MSI B450 Mortar mainboard. I'm using the Ryzen iGPU for gaming, that's why I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and bump the RAM speed from 2933 to 3200 for a little more performance, specifically in a game like Valorant.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 19, 2020

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Since expense doesn’t seem to be a factor, add a 256GB NVMe SSD for a boot drive. I don’t think I could ever go back to not having one.

E:maybe make it a TB, the new consoles are gonna have NVMe drives so it’s likely more games will actually take advantage of them.

Ok will go for that was going to keep it at 500 but the size of games has jumped up recently thanks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I just put two 80mm PWM fans in my server since one of the ones in there before started making a bad noise and they weren't PWM. Now the fans are just constantly spinning up and then spinning down over and over again despite the thing being idle. I assumed the new ones would only spin up when it was under load, but it's so much more annoying now then the consistent hum from before. What settings should I be looking for in the BIOS? It's a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KingKapalone posted:

I just put two 80mm PWM fans in my server since one of the ones in there before started making a bad noise and they weren't PWM. Now the fans are just constantly spinning up and then spinning down over and over again despite the thing being idle. I assumed the new ones would only spin up when it was under load, but it's so much more annoying now then the consistent hum from before. What settings should I be looking for in the BIOS? It's a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O.

your mobo manual says "The fan speeds are controlled by the firmware management via IPMI 2.0" so this stuff

Hmm, basic DDR4-2133. You could carry it over, but it's not ideal. If you sell your old stuff secondhand, maybe you could sell the CPU mobo and ram as a set?

teagone posted:

I can run 2x8GB sticks at the 3200MHz XMP profile no problem. I upgraded to 4x8GB sticks (all matched modules) and can only get the PC to boot if I set the XMP profile to the 2933MHz one, and have been running it at that config for a little while now, but since I'm quarantined, I'm starting to use the PC more for gaming. CPU is a Ryzen 3 2200G on an MSI B450 Mortar mainboard. I'm using the Ryzen iGPU for gaming, that's why I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and bump the RAM speed from 2933 to 3200 for a little more performance, specifically in a game like Valorant.
With an iGPU every bit of memory performance is a big deal, so it's probably worth trying out.

The basic idea is to go into the Advanced DRAM config in the bios and set timings for the main things - tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS -- to numbers that are proportional to (desired clock)/(current clock). So going from 2933 -> 3200 and your tCL was 16, then 16*3200/2933 = 17.5 round up to 18. Leave other things at auto and the mobo will hopefully be able to train the memory to set them.

For voltage, you can go over 1.35 but accelerated aging starts happening at 1.5v so stay below that. I'd say try things at 1.35 and if you get a result where it boots the OS but isn't stable, then try more juice.

Have the case open and one of the little jumper blocks handy, because you may need to clear the CMOS with the little jumper if you try a setting that it can't even load bios. (I glued a jumper to a wood dowel the last time I was doing this stuff, because my fingers couldn't reach without pulling the GPU.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Klyith posted:

With an iGPU every bit of memory performance is a big deal, so it's probably worth trying out.

The basic idea is to go into the Advanced DRAM config in the bios and set timings for the main things - tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS -- to numbers that are proportional to (desired clock)/(current clock). So going from 2933 -> 3200 and your tCL was 16, then 16*3200/2933 = 17.5 round up to 18. Leave other things at auto and the mobo will hopefully be able to train the memory to set them.

For voltage, you can go over 1.35 but accelerated aging starts happening at 1.5v so stay below that. I'd say try things at 1.35 and if you get a result where it boots the OS but isn't stable, then try more juice.

Have the case open and one of the little jumper blocks handy, because you may need to clear the CMOS with the little jumper if you try a setting that it can't even load bios. (I glued a jumper to a wood dowel the last time I was doing this stuff, because my fingers couldn't reach without pulling the GPU.)

Awesome, thanks for the help/info. Will try and tinker with the settings this week. I've got loads of time now to do so lmao. Wish my motherboard had a clear CMOS button to make things easier :argh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vasler posted:

Depends. I skimmed the specs and that limitation doesn’t appear to be present, but there could be a catch. It is a different chipset so maybe that’s a compromise they did away with. Check the manual.

I thought nvme and m2 was the same thing?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Klyith posted:

your mobo manual says "The fan speeds are controlled by the firmware management via IPMI 2.0" so this stuff

Oh god great. Thanks though.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Thinking of replacing my machine of over five years. I have a 1080p monitor, I'm not a massive gamer, but would like the ability to play modern games at decent enough settings. Mostly using the goon build plus the recent updates in this thread.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.15 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg)
(A) Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Amazon)
(B) Storage: HP EX950 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
(B) Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.64 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: FSP Group Hydro PTM 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($133.10 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($58.57 @ Amazon)
Total: $1045.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-19 21:51 EDT-0400

*Going to re-use my old optical drive

A few of questions:

1) The Tomahawk MAX is sold out, so I was going to use the Pro MAX that was recommended as a substitute. The MSI specs lists the DDR4 speeds for AMD Ryzen Gen3 as "2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 3733/ 3866/ 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)". Should I be concerned that 3600 is not on that list? Should I pick a different RAM stick?

2) I have the AMD RX 850 for $165. I was thinking of upgrading to the NVIDIA GTX 1660 S when I saw one for $220, but it just went out of stock and it seems like most of the 1660 S are the same thing. Is it worth buying a 1660 for $220 or a 1600 Ti for $280?

3) I currently have a 256 GB SSD for my OS and programs (using 170 GB of it) and 2 TB HDD for all my other stuff (using about 1.5 TB of it). I'm debating going with either (A) the 2 TB SATA SSD for everything at $225 or (B) a 512 GB NVME SSD for the OS and a 2 TB HDD for my other stuff at $130. Am I crazy to buy a HDD in 2020? Should I just spend the extra $100 to have it all on an SSD?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

skooma512 posted:

Depends. I skimmed the specs and that limitation doesn’t appear to be present, but there could be a catch. It is a different chipset so maybe that’s a compromise they did away with. Check the manual.

I thought nvme and m2 was the same thing?

M.2 is just the form factor. NVMe is an interface specification. NVMe drives can be M.2 cards, SSDs, or PCIe cards.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jjack229 posted:

1) The Tomahawk MAX is sold out, so I was going to use the Pro MAX that was recommended as a substitute. The MSI specs lists the DDR4 speeds for AMD Ryzen Gen3 as "2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466/ 3733/ 3866/ 4000/ 4133 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE)". Should I be concerned that 3600 is not on that list? Should I pick a different RAM stick?

2) I have the AMD RX 850 for $165. I was thinking of upgrading to the NVIDIA GTX 1660 S when I saw one for $220, but it just went out of stock and it seems like most of the 1660 S are the same thing. Is it worth buying a 1660 for $220 or a 1600 Ti for $280?

3) I currently have a 256 GB SSD for my OS and programs (using 170 GB of it) and 2 TB HDD for all my other stuff (using about 1.5 TB of it). I'm debating going with either (A) the 2 TB SATA SSD for everything at $225 or (B) a 512 GB NVME SSD for the OS and a 2 TB HDD for my other stuff at $130. Am I crazy to buy a HDD in 2020? Should I just spend the extra $100 to have it all on an SSD?

1) Weird, I gotta think that's just a misprint on their site, there's no reason for the board to not support 3600 when it does everything else.

2) 1660Tis are bad, they cost more than a Super but don't perform better. Here's a 1660 Super in stock at bestbuy for $235 though. PNY isn't a primo brand, but I had a PNY 1060 and it was fine.

3) Go for the big SSD. You wouldn't see the difference between a sata ssd and a NVMe in a blind test, but you can totally tell the difference between a SSD and a HDD. Getting rid of the HDDs rocks.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
okay, so Ive done some changes, and some research to see that my GTX 1060 will be enough for what I want it to do so ill continue to use that until prices go down for anything notably better. Ill still keep the 3600X because Ive had bad experiences with heatsinks so it makes me feel more comfortable that the 3600X has a better cooler(also they sold out of any coolers i was interested in). Ill go with 3600 ripjaws for ram since G.skill has always done me well, and lowered to a 650w. Also did a bit more and realized I dont really need a full tower, so went down to a ATX mid-tower(regular, not mini) thats wider and higher than what I have but not as long. Gonna op out of the optical drive as well since after thinking about it, I probably wont use one often and uhh other reasons.

Overall the price was essentially cut in half. Since I already have the card and SSD:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $613.93

seems pretty good.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Hey thread, I hope this is the place to ask this. I'm the owner of a freshly bricked PC that was extremely long in the tooth to begin with so I'm looking to start fresh. Since I'm losing my mind quarantined with no PC and want a replacement ASAP without dealing with inflated prices or unavailable parts I'm thinking about going prebuilt. OP mentioned the PowerSpec line as being reliable, does this seem like a fair value and could I get good performance out of modern games and perhaps dabble in VR? I'm not very savvy when it comes to this sort of thing

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621994/powerspec-g357-gaming-computer

Intel Core i7 9700KF 3.6GHz Processor
NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
1TB SSD

Twiminy
Feb 24, 2006
So I bought an NZXT H510 case to start my gradual acquisition of parts (I got a GTX 1660 too but that's irrelevant to what I'm going to ask.)
I picked the case for the USB c port, but oops it needs a 3.1 gen2 header which seems to only appear on really expensive motherboards and boy howdy do I not want to pay more for the motherboard than I did a GPU just to have a front panel port not be useless. Are there any affordable AM4 socket boards with the header at all?
Or some add on card option?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Twiminy posted:

So I bought an NZXT H510 case to start my gradual acquisition of parts (I got a GTX 1660 too but that's irrelevant to what I'm going to ask.)
I picked the case for the USB c port, but oops it needs a 3.1 gen2 header which seems to only appear on really expensive motherboards and boy howdy do I not want to pay more for the motherboard than I did a GPU just to have a front panel port not be useless. Are there any affordable AM4 socket boards with the header at all?

Aorus Elite/Elite Wifi X570 at ~200 USD has a front USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C header which from my understanding is the same thing as 3.1 Gen 2 C but just had the name changed? Also has been recommended in the thread for that price point in the past and seems a good MB. I got it for my build over others also because I wanted a front USB C.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Klyith posted:

1) Weird, I gotta think that's just a misprint on their site, there's no reason for the board to not support 3600 when it does everything else.

2) 1660Tis are bad, they cost more than a Super but don't perform better. Here's a 1660 Super in stock at bestbuy for $235 though. PNY isn't a primo brand, but I had a PNY 1060 and it was fine.

3) Go for the big SSD. You wouldn't see the difference between a sata ssd and a NVMe in a blind test, but you can totally tell the difference between a SSD and a HDD. Getting rid of the HDDs rocks.

Thanks for the help. My motheboard is up to a week backlog at BHP anyway, so I decided to go with the EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super from Amazon that should be in about the same time.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 20, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twiminy posted:

You can get an adapter to go from a standard 3.0 header to the new socket thing. The USB C port that it connects to on your case won't be 3.1gen2 so don't try anything fancy with it, like plugging in a monitor or trying to recharge a laptop. But if you get a external drive with a C connector it'll work well enough.

Also that silverstone one is expensive but all the sub-$20 chinesium ones have vanished from amazon, probably because coronavirus is blocking cheap china stuff.

Twiminy
Feb 24, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

Aorus Elite/Elite Wifi X570 at ~200 USD has a front USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C header which from my understanding is the same thing as 3.1 Gen 2 C but just had the name changed? Also has been recommended in the thread for that price point in the past and seems a good MB. I got it for my build over others also because I wanted a front USB C.

Klyith posted:

You can get an adapter to go from a standard 3.0 header to the new socket thing. The USB C port that it connects to on your case won't be 3.1gen2 so don't try anything fancy with it, like plugging in a monitor or trying to recharge a laptop. But if you get a external drive with a C connector it'll work well enough.

Also that silverstone one is expensive but all the sub-$20 chinesium ones have vanished from amazon, probably because coronavirus is blocking cheap china stuff.
Thank you for your help!
I admit I cast a wide net when looking for advice and someone else actually suggested this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1403989-REG/asus_rog_strix_x470_f_gaming.html
Of course if it was $20 less(aka no RGB from my understanding) it would probably be in the "reasonable" price range, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I forgot about the USB C header when I got my case and mobo. The Tomahawk does not have a C jack. I'll bookmark that part for later.