Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Anyone going to be playing the Sentinels of Freedom game when it releases later today?

Superheroes meet X-com seems to be definitely this board's thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812870/Sentinels_of_Freedom/

It took me a bit to remember, but this game looks like a psuedo remake of an old game series "Freedom Force" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_(2002_video_game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tombot posted:

It took me a bit to remember, but this game looks like a psuedo remake of an old game series "Freedom Force" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Force_(2002_video_game)

I honestly thought it was a spiritual successor but I can't find any connection between the teams that did them. Freedom force was pretty good for the time and I'm hoping Sentinels is also good!

My biggest issue with it is the art style, but that's the style of Sentinels comics and a very big reason why I'm always so indifferent of their products even if I should like them.

The Board game is good (and has a PC version) and the tabletop RPG has some interesting mechanics but the art zzzzzzz.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
That art style is absolutely hideous. Pretty sure I made something exactly like the one character in the screenshots using 3DSMax 20 years ago in high school. I feel like a lot of people are gonna pass on this simply because it looks like a terrible asset swap/roblox kids game/bit coin miner.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well I'm getting it because I loved freedom force but yuck

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/EchodogGames/status/1250816687735222273

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lol I’m glad Sentinels is penetrating the video game market because board gamers have been saying “good game, bad art” for over a decade.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

al-azad posted:

Lol I’m glad Sentinels is penetrating the video game market because board gamers have been saying “good game, bad art” for over a decade.

it's a terrible board game.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I must be a sucker for X-Com cross over games (or just a sucker period) because along with sentinels of freedom, I saw that Fort Triumph had FINALLY come out of EA (after two years), and here is a quick review:

The premise is X-Com meets Dungeons and Dragons and Fire Emblem

https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/

God, this game is not just tongue in cheek, it's several tongues in cheek. I'm only a couple battles in, but here's some thoughts.

The first battle was surprisingly difficult, you only have three heroes (a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Sorceress), and you have to take down about 2-3x that number of Goblins. After that, I freed the fourth character to join my party. The game is really like X-Com, in that it's very grid focused and tactical concerns will be key (for example, a goblin was hiding behind a tree, my Sorceress used a whirlwind to knockdown the tree on said goblin). melee characters can also kick someone a couple squares (which is useful for freeing up your casters, or to kick someone into an obstacle for damage and stuns)

Characters with Ranged attacks can overwatch like X-Com, while Melee Characters can brace, and take half damage from attacks. Since you have 3 AP, and most attacks take two AP, you can move a small distance and hit someone. Flanking is important. Apparently we will be recruiting a whole bunch of characters (and yes, the Fire Emblem part is one of the options is PERMADEATH, meaning if your characters die in battle, they die for good. Which could really suck if they've levelled up several times (more stats, more abilities etcetera) But yeah, the game doesn't take it self too seriously. For winning one of the early battles, we get a chest full of beets, which we can eat for XP, or turn into money.. (yes.. BEETCOINS!) . That was ALMOST a pun too far for me.

Almost.

If you're into a fun turnbased game that doesn't take itself seriously (for example, an evil force is plotting a goblin invasion in a tavern, and starts cackling evilly, only to be shushed and pointed to the sign that says "No evil cackling after midnight"), you could do a LOT worse than this.

currently PC only, but planned releases for Switch, PS4 and Xbox 1

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The PC game is good, but yeah, the art assets are not great, and there’s not enough power sets or power customization or model characterization. It doesn’t have the voice acting that made freedom force so good (RINGS OF REXXAR!) and is kind of ugly and janky, but definitely hits that xcom tactics spot.

Can’t believe this, the new xcom and that fantasy game people are discussing above all drop within a week of each other. When it rains, it floods I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dev of Never Alone is releasing an Endless Ocean-inspired game on multiple platforms.. it's on Apple Arcade now but it will also be on Steam and console

https://store.steampowered.com/app/883360/Beyond_Blue/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SirFozzie posted:

I must be a sucker for X-Com cross over games (or just a sucker period) because along with sentinels of freedom, I saw that Fort Triumph had FINALLY come out of EA (after two years), and here is a quick review:

That sounds great. You've probably already heard of it. But if you love fantasy X-Com combat, Druidstone: Secret of the Menhir Forest from the studio that did the Grimrock games would totally be your jam.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

That sounds great. You've probably already heard of it. But if you love fantasy X-Com combat, Druidstone: Secret of the Menhir Forest from the studio that did the Grimrock games would totally be your jam.

Whenever this comes up, people point out that the game is bad. It is very short, and it’s also more of a puzzle game than a tactics game- more into the breach than xcom. Because it’s a puzzle game, there’s no reason to replay once you’ve figured out the sequence of moves the level wants you to do. Although you may have to restart the level once the gotcha kicks in, so that you can be ready for it.

Each level has a gotcha- either a gimmick or instantaneous reinforcement spawns, or both. I wanted to like it, but couldn’t, although some people did.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Alamoduh posted:

Whenever this comes up, people point out that the game is bad. It is very short, and it’s also more of a puzzle game than a tactics game- more into the breach than xcom. Because it’s a puzzle game, there’s no reason to replay once you’ve figured out the sequence of moves the level wants you to do. Although you may have to restart the level once the gotcha kicks in, so that you can be ready for it.

Each level has a gotcha- either a gimmick or instantaneous reinforcement spawns, or both. I wanted to like it, but couldn’t, although some people did.

I'll second this. I bought it because someone sold me on it by saying it was very similar to Gloomhaven. I left disappointed.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yeah, Druidstone will be a let down if you go in expecting Fantasy XCOM. The puzzle combat is closer to Into The Breach, but even that comparison is misleading because of its fixed scenarios.

Trials of Mana is a week away btw: https://store.steampowered.com/app/924980/Trials_of_Mana/

It's a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 (1995), which was a sequel to Square's SNES classic Secret of Mana. It never had a Western release, but was well received in Japan. It's an action RPG with multiple main characters and origin stories to choose from. Think Dragon Age, but JRPG.

I never played the original and how no idea what to expect or how faithful the remake will even be. The graphics don't look too hot in the trailer and the voice acting is pretty cheesy. This is no FF7 Remake. It seems the main selling point here is simply getting access to an old, Japan exclusive.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Yeah, Druidstone will be a let down if you go in expecting Fantasy XCOM. The puzzle combat is closer to Into The Breach, but even that comparison is misleading because of its fixed scenarios.

Trials of Mana is a week away btw: https://store.steampowered.com/app/924980/Trials_of_Mana/

It's a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 (1995), which was a sequel to Square's SNES classic Secret of Mana. It never had a Western release, but was well received in Japan. It's an action RPG with multiple main characters and origin stories to choose from. Think Dragon Age, but JRPG.

I never played the original and how no idea what to expect or how faithful the remake will even be. The graphics don't look too hot in the trailer and the voice acting is pretty cheesy. This is no FF7 Remake. It seems the main selling point here is simply getting access to an old, Japan exclusive.

It's so frustrating because the original SD3 had jaw-droppingly beautiful graphics, among the prettiest on the SNES, so they made this ugly-rear end 3D version instead of just translating that one. :T

If you're interested in this at all, PLEASE do yourself a favor and play the original for the SNES with the fan translation patch. It's one of the masterpieces of that console.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's extra strange that they didn't just port the original, when they did that with Romancing SaGa 3 for Steam.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's so frustrating because the original SD3 had jaw-droppingly beautiful graphics, among the prettiest on the SNES, so they made this ugly-rear end 3D version instead of just translating that one. :T

If you're interested in this at all, PLEASE do yourself a favor and play the original for the SNES with the fan translation patch. It's one of the masterpieces of that console.

They totally released a translated version of SD3. This remake is a different thing.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/collection-of-mana-switch/

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was translated recently as part of the Collection of Mana ...er....collection... for the Switch that came out when the Trials of Mana Remake was announced, so that's an option as well if people are unsure about messing around with ROMs and patches.

edit: beaten

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If it hasn't been ported to PC then it doesn't exist for me.* Therefore I'm still pissed that they're bringing this thing to PC ahead of the original.

*If Shin Megami Tensei V ever drops I will get a switch for it. But until then nothing will make me budge.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Huh. Guess YMMV because Druidstone was my favourite game of last year and I thought it was awesome.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Huh. Guess YMMV because Druidstone was my favourite game of last year and I thought it was awesome.

Different strokes for different folks!

I went in wanting a fantasy xcom (and still do). On that note, Fort Triumph is pretty good, and shakes up the mechanics a bit with moveable cover.

Also, I didn’t like their previous legend of Grimrock games either. I didn’t like the real time combat and having to move to avoid attacks, and I couldn’t really articulate why until someone in this thread called it a “square dance simulator.”

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Circle empires rivals just dropped 3 days ago.

I've got 28 hours in the previous single player only game and maybe 16 in this one so far, it's got more depth than you think, if you want to try competition. Or you can have a good 10-50+ hours just going through the missions/getting achievements and playing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1100260/Circle_Empires_Rivals/

Circle Empires: Rivals is the multiplayer sequel to the original award-winning real-time strategy game enjoyed by more than 300,000 players worldwide! Fast-paced action and hundreds of different units combined with a procedurally-generated world of circles to make every session exciting and unique. You’ll have to devise new strategies and clever tactics to defeat your enemies, harvest resources and increase your power – alone or online with friends!

“It’s amazing to have watched the project evolve from a free demo into the single-player experience, and now at last, into a multiplayer one as well!” – The Luminous Team

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The demo to Trials of Mana is pretty lengthy as it’s about the first 1/10 of the game and every character is playable, if you want an idea of what to expect. Took me a little more than 3 hours and your save will carry over. It’s a lot prettier in motion and combat is tight but it’s pretty basic and repetitive which is keeping in line with the original. The mana series has always been propped up with good graphics and music while the actual moment to moment gameplay is clunky as gently caress. The original SD3 in particular has a bunch of weird difficulty spikes and permanent decisions that can make your time a nightmare.

My impression of the remake is positive. Combat is real action based and not a weird hacked together ATB system, the presentation is fine in motion it’s very well animated with colorful textures, it hits all the good parts of the original while injecting a bit more into the otherwise cookie cutter characters, and you have some choice and customization over the growth of the characters besides choosing which class to get. I can’t stress how barebones the original Mana games really are, it was drat impressive in 1994 but action RPGs evolved faster than the Mana series could keep up.

So it’s a good remake of a game I find mostly average, more than I expected as a person who played the translated rom back in the day but I hesitate to recommend it for full price to anyone who has zero nostalgia for the original because it’s still a B- at best kind of budget game.

Square certainly redeemed themselves over the Secret of Mana remake which probably had more bugs than the original which was a quickly hacked together after the SNES-CD fell through.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
If anybody is looking for a tactics game to tide them over, try Mainframe Defenders. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1184810/Mainframe_Defenders/

Pretty sure it is made by a single dev, but don't let the graphics turn you off. You get a squad of 4 mechs, each with their own upgrade tree, and can slot 4 items on each. There are a ton of items and coming up with strong combos is key to the game- you might make a mech that has a rapid fire gun that shreds armour, or one that tries to get big crits, or one that attacks the enemy's heat gauge to blow them up.

The game is pretty short but unlocking everything will take a few play throughs. I find the basic gameplay to be really satisfying and hard mode is definitely a tough challenge. Just don't expect a story- this is almost a roguelite type game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Cloudpunk comes out tomorrow. https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/

It seems to be a cyberpunk truck simulator. It looks limited in scope, but it's got style. Here's hoping this is another one to add to the list of cool, little cyberpunk games.

Trip report. It was chill flying around in a hovercar, and it nails the look. It's all in voxels, and that works pretty well for the setting. First impression is it's too much of an open-world game for me though. That's not a knock against the game, just me preferring guided narratives. I'll come back to it if I hear good things about the story.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 23, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ITTA got released a couple of hours ago, and it looks pretty neat.

It's an indie action/adventure/bullet-hell with an art style (very) similar to Hyper Light Drifter.

quote:

Test your limits in ITTA, a bullet-hell, boss-rush style adventure. Armed with her father’s revolver and guided by a strange ghostly cat, a displaced girl must battle her way through impossible trials in search of answers… and peace.

It's available on PC and Switch, and maybe some other platforms.

Steam, GOG, Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXoW4cYUU0

itry fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 22, 2020

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I picked up Fort Triumph yesterday on Steam. It's a plays like Heroes of Might and Magic had a battle system lifted from X-COM (that happens to be entirely about collapsing trees and pillars on top of enemies.)

The game has four factions, but each faction has the same hero pool to draw from, the main difference between them being that towns give different bonuses. Goblins get more speed and are better in cover, humans get more health and can move environments around easier, etc. I kind of wish that each faction had a specific hero "type" that they could exclusively get, but it's a pretty mild grievance overall.

It's also pretty easy to break the game's systems over your knee. For reference: units get 3 AP per turn, but one of my barbarian heroes can start off combat with 8 AP and can kick/stun enemies as a 1 AP attack.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Donnerberg posted:

Cloudpunk comes out tomorrow. https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/

It seems to be a cyberpunk truck simulator. It looks limited in scope, but it's got style. Here's hoping this is another one to add to the list of cool, little cyberpunk games.

Trip report. It was chill flying around in a hovercar, and it nails the look. It's all in voxels, and that works pretty well for the setting. First impression is it's too much of an open-world game for me though. That's not a knock against the game, just me preferring guided narratives. I'll come back to it if I hear good things about the story.

I picked Cloudpunk up yesterday about put in about an hour and a half. The visuals are incredible. I usually stay away from voxel games but a lot of work was done to stylize the look and feel and you forget it's all blocks most of the time. The rainy neon Blade Runner-esque world is really well done and you know it's got Vangelisesque synthy dreamy music going on too. It has customizable outfits, a customizable car, and a decoratable apartment if you're into that kinda thing (and baby I am into it). My one beef with the visuals is that the camera is often a little too far from the main character and the foggy rainy stylized look of the game can make it a liiittle hard to parse where you are when you're on foot.

In the first 100 minutes I've played, the gameplay consists of going to Point A, getting an item, delivering to Point B and having little interactions in between (with your boss, your car AI, the client, sometimes the merchandise...). I had to make a Big Choice™ early on but I don't know what the fallout of it is quite yet. There are hints of a bigger plot happening but I haven't discovered it in-game yet.

The writing has an interesting issue: the writing itself is pretty funny (I laughed out loud doing a side quest that involved a murderous elevator AI) but the voice acting is a little stiff in places and the voice clips trigger with just a slightly too long gap between them so conversations don't feel as fluid as I'd like. The slightly wooden VA actually works fine in the neo-noir context but the conversation rhythm throws me just a bit. Also, if you push a button in the middle of the text writing itself in the text boxes, it skips that text entirely rather than insta-filling the box, so you can accidentally miss out on bits of conversations.

All in all, though, I'm just really stunned at how good a voxel game can look. It's got a ton of character and style and I kind of just want to hang out in the world and eat ramen and listen to the rain. The missions have all taken place in exterior locations but your apartment is an interior and looks pretty cool. It's a welcome relief to be a little closer to the characters so I hope there's more interiors (nightclubs, bars, offices, etc) to keep things fresh. It also feels like a HUGE world. It reminds me of the first time you get dropped into like Grand Theft Auto games, where there's just all these places and it's overwhelming. Thematically it fits since your MC is new to the city too.

If you're looking for a chill time (I don't think there's any combat!) cruising through a neon nightscape, this is worth a look.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I know everyone's playing Cloudpunk and Chimera Squad right now, but Filament just came out yesterday!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I know everyone's playing Cloudpunk and Chimera Squad right now, but Filament just came out yesterday!

Been playing Filament for four hours now and it's awesome. It's like if you gave The Witness good writing.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Hwurmp posted:

Filament just came out yesterday!

I clicked over to the Steam store page, and above any other content there's a rerun of a livestream of the devs playing it.

Which is emphatically the furthest thing from what I want when looking at a new puzzle game.

But anything that gets compared to The Witness has my attention.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

It's like if you gave The Witness good writing.

You have my attention.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Picked up Filament. It's loving hard. Wow. Or I'm just a dumbass. Good though. Wish there was more music. The 1st floor song is really starting to get on my nerves.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Different floors have different music...the hard & easy puzzles are also spread all around the ship so don't hesitate to explore if you're stuck on one puzzle.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

It's on sale at GMG for $12 btw. Wish I had waited 12 hours to buy it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That game does seem a bit hard. Mostly since I don't really have any sort of methology. Most of my solutions seem to be brute forced.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That game does seem a bit hard. Mostly since I don't really have any sort of methology. Most of my solutions seem to be brute forced.

Try the Constellation puzzles (second floor library) and Instruction puzzles (warehouse room next to it). Those more than the rest really got me staring at the zoom view and figuring out what I want to do before I start moving. The constellation ones are also very good for learning some of the mathsy principles you've been working with, like how far you can follow the same thread backwards.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Even at 15 bux I can really recommend Intergalactic Fishing on Steam. A lot of it might be nostalgia for the old ANSI fishing games of the early 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Womyn Capote posted:

Even at 15 bux I can really recommend Intergalactic Fishing on Steam. A lot of it might be nostalgia for the old ANSI fishing games of the early 90s.

Seconding this, and saying no, it's not nostalgia - it's just a really good game. Figuring out what kind of lure fishes like, where they are, etc etc is really satisfying and I love chilling with it.