Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah we had 3 squads of people with flashlights, and then the goon squad that I ran where most of us had nods. It was pretty fun, everything went smoothly and we were done shooting by around midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sunrise on the outer banks:

Shark’s eye/moon snail shell:

American Oystercatchers, taken through a 50x spotting scope:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Read an article about doing self portraits in the quarantine due to not being able to get out and about and uh.

Yeah.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

should have use a little gi joe figurine

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Man that would have been great, I didn't think of that. I just thought Arby's, cause... Arby's.

Also I just traded my TC Encore 308 for this

The trigger/sights are in the mail along with some ammo. This isn't going to be a high volume shooter at all, just for use in case an angry large mammal is about to trample and/or eat me. In the mountains I mean, not at Walmart.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

Man that would have been great, I didn't think of that. I just thought Arby's, cause... Arby's.

Also I just traded my TC Encore 308 for this

The trigger/sights are in the mail along with some ammo. This isn't going to be a high volume shooter at all, just for use in case an angry large mammal is about to trample and/or eat me. In the mountains I mean, not at Walmart.

A 10mm Glock is probably the only Glock I want to own. Nice.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'm going to match the UI parts to the rest of my Glocks. Trijicon HD XR sights with the yellow front, Overwatch Precision polymer trigger, Zev 3.5 connector. Don't want any differentiation in the sights or trigger feel with the rest of my pistols.

Once I get those in and test fired, I'll probably rattle can it tan too. Then it can live in my chest pouch whenever I'm in the mountains.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You're all set for Fallout now.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Plus this way I have caliber commonality with UNATCO :c00l:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme the GEP gun

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydrSvYVUlvU&t=44s

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Got bored on quarantine! Did some arts and crafts!

SL-S stock to replace the old STR.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My supervisor loves pics, so I’ve got a ton of pictures of American oystercatchers on my phone right now.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

What are those green tags above the knees? Some kind of research tracking device?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea, they’re the tags we use to ID individuals. There’s a website run by the USGS where we can report them if we want more info, like who banded it, bird age, sex, banding location, etc. It’s how we know who comes back, these birds tend to have strong pair loyalty and site loyalty.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I have no intelligent commentary but I think that's neat. :)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

The Rat posted:

same

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

The Rat posted:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

does anyone know if you can pick food from a national park? We have wild ramps growing here and I was thinking of picking some.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

PookBear posted:

does anyone know if you can pick food from a national park? We have wild ramps growing here and I was thinking of picking some.

It depends on the park. I'd check the website first, and then if you can't find anything try giving them a call.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:toot: Parts came in.

Once it test fires successfully, I'll probably slap a coat of tan spray paint on it just to differentiate it from the rest of my Glocks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that your 10mm bearkiller? I didn't know you got an aftermarket barrel and trigger for it as well, neat. I've never shot 10, just the twin brother it partially absorbed in the womb.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, no test fire yet (ammo due tomorrow), but it'll ride in my chest pouch for use in case of imminent trampling/mauling. It's probably not going to be a high volume shooter for other purposes, but I wanted the sights and trigger to match my other Glocks anyways.

When I tried a G40 about half a year ago, the recoil honestly wasn't all that bad. More than a 9mm, sure, but it was more akin to the slow push of a .45 than the nasty snap of a .40S&W. That was with some relatively mild loads though, we'll see how the buffalo bore rounds feel soon enough.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 23, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

First Glock I ever shot was a 10mm that a friendly retired fellow at the range let me try out. He saw me shooting my Canadian High Power and came over to chat about it for a bit

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
First Glock I ever shot was G21 (45) first Glock I owned was a G20.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I was legit kind of mad after trying that G40 because it wasn't that bad so WELP guess I was gonna have to get one.

I'm just glad that the local store put so much trade value on the TC Encore I traded in towards it.

Apparently this thing can shoot .40S&W too with no barrel or anything change. Kind of nice in case 9mm gets scarce, but OTOH, looking at prices right now, blaster grade 40 is the same price as blaster grade 10mm. :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Things are taking a wild tern here :suicide:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Are the oystercatchers the things they rope off the dunes heading into Ocracoke for?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Those, and others. Piping plovers, Wilson’s plovers, black skimmers, and a few types of terns (least, gulf bill, and another than I can never remember the name of).

e: forgot about previous post conpletely :downs:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 26, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This is my favorite kind of beach visitor :unsmith:

loggerhead tracks, leading up to a place she considered laying eggs...then decided not to, and went straight back to the water.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Nope, not this year, gently caress it."

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Felt pretty happy with how this run went, considering it was two months since the last match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNDld5gn9k

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sweet music.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

God, I watch things like falling plates and speed shooting and it really makes me want to get into that sport.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Nice and hot piss posted:

God, I watch things like falling plates and speed shooting and it really makes me want to get into that sport.

It's worth it. Steel Challenge is probably the easiest and most cost-effective to get in. There's no movement involved, you can shoot rimfire, and the rules are very simple to understand: shoot five steel plates as fast as you can! Lowest time wins.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Went snowshoeing today. Hung out at the lake for a bit waiting on breaks in the clouds. Was fun.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We’ve got a group of black skimmers setting up shop on the southern tip of our little island :)

The one that looks like it’s melting in the foreground, apparently this is just how they sleep.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I have a chicken that's been doing that lately, but I'm thinking it's more cause she's getting old as gently caress (6 years old, the current flock matriarch) and on her way out. :(

Was boots on trail this morning at 5:35AM. Was surprised that the Glacier Gorge parking lot was only, at best, 1/5 full.

Mills lake.

Another one of Mills lake, from a vantage point I normally don't get to take shots from.

Jewel lake.

The last 2/3 of a mile to Black lake was a real slog. The snow was a deep, slushy, post-holey mess. Got diverted a few times following bad sets of tracks, ended up sliding down a steep snow slope to get back down to the trail. Waldo's rear sling swivel got busted in the process (probably when I fell on my rear end), so I'm gonna have to figure something out there. That said, this is probably my favorite shot of the day.

Was debating getting a shot of the Loch on the way back, but thunder and storm clouds were rolling in. There was only a light drizzle, but the monotonous gray clouds stayed in place and I figured it wouldn't be worth going back uphill for.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 31, 2020

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Great shots, as usual! I made reservations for State Forest State Park, Colorado in July for a week. Missed the moose babies in RMNP this spring, hopefully I can catch the Elk rut this fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Awesome! Make sure to hit up Lake Agnes while you're there, especially if you have reservations. The short trail there means that it's easy to get golden/blue hour shots.