Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xander77 posted:

?

Not having played the game, this doesn't seem to make any sense.

Ok, a good example is that during a section where you play as Carlos, there is a side pouch that allows you to carry more items. It's meant for Carlos, but if you skip it and don't pick it up, it simply disappears.

Something else for Metro: Exodus

-Holstering your weapon allows you to sprint and move faster and I think it allows you to have more stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tweaked some of the tips for Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Links, it's been a while since I did it, and the game has changed a fair bit.

== Starting Out & PvE ==
- Between level-up rewards, events, and stage missions, you'll get plenty of gems, and the single-player is a completely realized game at about the same tier as the old GBA/DS ones. Just make whatever decks and play whatever characters you want, and you'll have a pretty good time.

- Start as whoever you like more, the game isn't hard enough to punish you for that decision, and you'll unlock the other before too long.
- - If you can't decide, Kaiba's starting deck is slightly better, and his level 13 skill, Beatdown, is so good and general-purpose that it got nerfed. (It's still very useful, just limited to once per Duel now.)

- Once you have other character options, you may want to look through their skills and level-up rewards lists before you commit to one; some characters can give you pretty good cards for specific decks that you can't get any other way, or have unique skills that can push a deck over the top from "okay" to "pretty dang good."

- Your first 500 gems should go towards your starting character's first/older structure deck, then 1000 into their second/newer one. After that, focus on whichever of the newest packs looks like it has a deck you might want to play.
- - Prebuilt decks are also a decent place to start on something cool, but you can only get one copy of each in pure F2P. The second costs $2 of real-world money, but might be worth it to you, and the third costs several time more.

- Focus your efforts on the missions to level up your Stage at first. That's where most of the good unlocks are gated behind, including other characters, and AI opponents who don't suck.
- - Your stock of generic duelists refreshes every time you level up the stage, which can be very useful for keeping a long play session going early on.

- Don't try to grind duels at the gates for card drops until you can duel Level 40 characters (Stage 30). They're more difficult, but it clears most of the chaff out of their drop lists.
-- Once you can, though, grind Level 40 Kaiba for two copies of Enemy Controller. It is, hands down, the best general purpose PvE-drop card in the game, and fits into virtually any deck.

- The other series have their own characters and their own Stage levels. Great for collecting more gems if you want to, and can have some pretty interesting skills/drops. The level of generic duelists you fight carries over across series, regardless of their respective Stage levels.

== PVP ==
- If you're just interested in the stage rewards or casual PVP, play whatever decks you like, the low ranks are mostly other casual players (and the occasional rear end in a top hat).
- - Rogue/budget decks can still do respectably well, but you'll probably top out at about low-to-mid Platinum unless you start getting serious.

- If you're aiming to climb the ranks, Duel Links Meta has a living gem guide (https://www.duellinksmeta.com/gem-guide/) that will give you the approximate costs of building whatever are currently the top tier decks. Go through them until you find one that interests you, then put it or something like it together, ideally unlocking and then grinding with the recommended character to do so.
- - Take some notes on what you're looking for, just in case the guide changes between when you start building; finishing up a deck that isn't quite top tier any more is probably a better use of your time than starting from scratch on something new.
- - Don't worry so much about the cost of tech cards at first, just find something where most of the core cards you want are in a single box. Those Enemy Controllers you got from Kaiba are just as useful in PvP as PvE.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 11, 2020

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything to know going into Grim Dawn beyond what's on the wiki? Is that still current?

Does anything change when starting out if you have the Ashes of Malmouth DLC, or does that stuff only kick in later?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The only thing the DLCs change to start with is which classes are available for you to choose from. Ashes of Malmouth extends the endgame. Forgotten Gods is a side campaign. If you want build advice or stuff like that, you are better off checking the Grim Dawn forums, but otherwise the wiki page is still up to date, although you can get extra Devotion points through the expansions.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Did the thread die due to website down? PSA: It's working now.

I know it's an old one but SW: KOTOR

Replace:
"Choose an alignment (LS or DS) and stick to it; you get a bonus for maxing it out."
"Don't give yourself any feats that have to do with firing guns. Guns are not useful for your main character."

With:
"You should choose to go total Light Side or Dark Side from the very first dialog choices. The differences in the extremes are massive, in both powers and storylines. If you think you'll be up for multiple playthroughs, you may want to try your first playthrough as full Light Side Melee and your second as full Dark Side Magic, so you can see the everything the game has to offer. If you definitely only want one playthrough, mix and match as you please, but look up the other side online to see what you missed."

"Magic >> Melee >> Guns. Melee feels like the default difficulty setting for obvious reasons. Force Magic can get hilariously overpowered. Guns are barely viable on your main character, even in the early game. If you're desperate to try a gunslinger build on a repeat playthrough, you can purchase Cassus Fett's Heavy Blaster from B'ree on Korriban. This gun stunlocks enemies when paired with Rapid Fire and dual wield, making it the closest thing to a viable build for Guns."

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for SNIPER ELITE 4? It was free on PS+ a few months ago and I’m just through the first two levels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

revwinnebago posted:

Replace:
"Choose an alignment (LS or DS) and stick to it; you get a bonus for maxing it out."
"Don't give yourself any feats that have to do with firing guns. Guns are not useful for your main character."

With:
"You should choose to go total Light Side or Dark Side from the very first dialog choices. The differences in the extremes are massive, in both powers and storylines. If you think you'll be up for multiple playthroughs, you may want to try your first playthrough as full Light Side Melee and your second as full Dark Side Magic, so you can see the everything the game has to offer. If you definitely only want one playthrough, mix and match as you please, but look up the other side online to see what you missed."

"Magic >> Melee >> Guns. Melee feels like the default difficulty setting for obvious reasons. Force Magic can get hilariously overpowered. Guns are barely viable on your main character, even in the early game. If you're desperate to try a gunslinger build on a repeat playthrough, you can purchase Cassus Fett's Heavy Blaster from B'ree on Korriban. This gun stunlocks enemies when paired with Rapid Fire and dual wield, making it the closest thing to a viable build for Guns."
Honestly, the current version is better. What you want to put there is far too much detail and mostly just repeating the same sentiment in five sentences instead of one.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Anything for Renowned Explorers?

I reliably cruise through the first 3 maps but find it really hard to keep up in the end game and never have enough gold to keep equipment updated.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm glancing through the No Man's Sky article, and I'm a bit confused- do I need to grind a crapload of money before doing the exploit for the S-tier freighter, or is it free once I find it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm glancing through the No Man's Sky article, and I'm a bit confused- do I need to grind a crapload of money before doing the exploit for the S-tier freighter, or is it free once I find it?
The first freighter you get is free, but only the one you get in that first encounter that you are supposed to save scum as per the article.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

The first freighter you get is free, but only the one you get in that first encounter that you are supposed to save scum as per the article.

Cool, perfect- just wanted be sure I didn't save scum it, then realize I also needed zillions of spacebucks. Thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Cool, perfect- just wanted be sure I didn't save scum it, then realize I also needed zillions of spacebucks. Thanks!
I've had it glitch out on me and ask for the money depite that, but if that happens it's a bug. In that case just use a memory editor to give you the required amount, because it's supposed to be free anyway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

McKracken posted:

I reliably cruise through the first 3 maps but find it really hard to keep up in the end game and never have enough gold to keep equipment updated.
As you found out, money is really important. If you're just starting, try to grab characters and abilities that give you extra money or treasure hunt tokens and focus on it as your main source of renown. You might want to postpone upgrading equpiment for when you really need it and save money, but the only way to tell the proper time for this is experience with the game, as there's a load of factors in play.

Your selection of maps should be governed by what kind of attitude your team prefers - I generally find the Devious ones the easiest because there's a lot of debuffs available.

The Anagogic Archipelago and Shangri-La maps are hard as balls, avoid until you've got more experience. The Lost Island, on the other hand, is perfect for a final adventure since it allows your choice of three boss fights (even if one of them is arguably the toughest in the game) and you can even tag out early if you have enough renown.

All of the characters can be powerful but some require a lot of effort - and in some cases luck with story cards - to get there. Being more straightforward does not necessarily mean they are weaker.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 15, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The tips on the wiki are A) kinda unclear/useless, and B) missing a lot of the point, soo...

Final Fantasy 1
Party Composition
- If there's a single thing you take away from these tips, make it this: Bring a Fighter. The rest of your party make-up is mostly up to you, but most of the good armor is Fighter-exclusive for the first 2/3s of the game, and without a tank in the first slot, you're going to get massacred if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
- Thieves are the Magikarps of Final Fantasy 1, extremely mediocre right up until the class change 2/3s through the game, at which point they become Ninjas, who are amazing.
- If you're using a Black Belt/Monk, take their weapon and strip them completely naked once they hit level 8. They'll be more effective offensively and defensively this way right up until the benefits of endgame armor/accessories outweighs the slight defense loss. (This is also, not coincidentally, the point at which they upgrade from 'pretty okay attackers' to 'direct damage gods'.)
- Red Mages are expensive to maintain, and will never be the best at anything (especially late game), but they're decent pinch hitters, and a good place to dump weird utility spells you don't want to clog your main caster(s)'s spell lists with.
- Black Mages are the kings of burst damage and have some excellent buff spells, but are frail and physically weak. Great for nuking bosses and problem encounters, though.
- White Mages are probably best used for crisis healing and defensive buffs; leave the post-combat patching up to your Potions. This goes doubly true for PURE/Purify and SOFT/Stona, skip those two spells entirely and just use the items.

General
- Save early, safe often. There's nothing worse than losing hours of progress because you got blindsided by a tough encounter you didn't expect. (Tents, etc. are great for this.)
- Your first priority is grinding to Level 2 outside of the starting town. This will likely double your characters' max HP, and make the trek north much simpler and safer.
- Once you can afford to, stock up on Potions and Antidotes. Being poisoned far away from town without any antidotes is a death sentence, and a stock of potions will increase your longevity by leaps and bounds.
- The strongest enemy in FF1 is attrition. Make sure to pace yourself so you'll be able to survive a trip back to town from the dungeon, especially if someone keels over unexpectedly.
- If you're stuck on where to go, try exploring further out into the world. Even if you don't find anything it the particular area you look, this will still be worthwhile, because...
- You will be expected to level grind. Regularly. Exactly how much you do so is up to you, but if you feel like you're hitting a brick wall, you probably are.
- Floor tiles that autospawn enemies every time you step on them are a great place to grind, if you're confident you can repeatedly beat the fight. You usually find them in front of valuable chests.

NES-Specific
- Consider using the Final Fantasy Restored romhack, if it's an option for you. It adds a few QoL features (namely faster combat, a dash button, and a 'Buy 10' option in item shops), fixes many of the game's bugs, and improves the translation. It also does all of this without softening the game's edges or chipping away at too much of the old school charm.
- You start unarmed and naked. As soon as the game begins, go into town and buy yourself some spells and equipment, and don't forget to put them on.
- The top tier mobile heal/save item, HOUSEs, are bugged, and save before restoring your spells. So either just use them for freshening up before you enter a dungeon, or use a TENT afterwards to properly save your improved status.
- In combat, HEL2 mistakenly has the effect of HEL3. It is, unsurprisingly, the best midcombat healing spell in the game.
- Skip the following spells: LOCK, TMPR, LOK2, and SABR. They're glitched and do nothing or worse.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2020

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

The tips on the wiki [for Final Fantasy 1] are A) kinda unclear/useless, and B) missing a lot of the point, soo...

Thanks - updated the page.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

PMush Perfect posted:

- Mobile healing/save items like TENTs and CABINs are bugged, and save before restoring your HP, so either just use them for freshening up before you enter a dungeon, or use a second TENT afterwards to properly save your improved status.

This is only HOUSEs, which restore your MP after saving for some reason. The cool kids all use a house, don't save, then use a tent to save.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Odd posted:

This is only HOUSEs, which restore your MP after saving for some reason. The cool kids all use a house, don't save, then use a tent to save.
I'll edit that.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Anything for Offworld Trading Company? I've been playing a bit and mostly winning but I can't help but feel like I'm stumbling rear end-over-head into success instead of really understanding how to play this game well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I played that game for ten or fifteen hours and I still felt that way. I don't think it's just you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ah, a Nioh situation

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Anything for Offworld Trading Company? I've been playing a bit and mostly winning but I can't help but feel like I'm stumbling rear end-over-head into success instead of really understanding how to play this game well.

:capitalism:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

McKracken posted:

It's ultimately in the euro-board game style, so the name of the game is "pick a token and maximize its return." Pick a captain that improves that token, buy helpers/entourages that improve that token, go on expeditions that promise a lot of that token, spend as much time there as possible so you get as many tokens as possible, so on and so forth. Everything snowballs, so completely stripping your starting map can significantly boost your overall chances (starvation penalties are bad, but leftover food and unexplored nodes are money left on the table, and you can handle exploring everything on the first map without harming your chances on the first boss).

Specific tips:
  • You can change the starting island once you've beaten all three - make sure to pick the one for the token you're looking for (encounter token teams can go anywhere).
  • If you have the story card expansion, considering resetting if your opening hand doesn't have the personal cards you want - they are all extremely powerful (occasionally character defining for people like Ivan), and take multiple adventures to finish triggering, so you want to use them as soon as possible.
  • Combat stats have diminishing returns - it's worth considering armor to boost a character's lower defense since their higher stat might soft cap more or less naturally, and to go for multiple lower-tier gear instead of one higher tier one. Anyone who can equip boots should since evade is extremely powerful.
  • Generally speaking the first priority with equipment should be filling accessory slots and getting a non-broken weapon for the main damage dealer. A spread of Lv 1 skills can significantly boost your chances on rolls (and on the 2 star islands there are a lot of non-roll "do you have X skill Y/N" checks).
  • Try and save insight for later in the game when you get more from them (improved tokens, better jobs, etc.). Only spend them if you're over the cap or it'll get you something specific (ie, you're a few research points away from completing another project).
  • Pick expeditions based on what your party can do, rather than what you'd like to do. It doesn't matter if you're trying to focus on the Collect token, going to the desert with no Archaeology or Survival will not end well. If an expedition matches your skills, try and maximize those skills in the intermissions; if they're close, try and get what you're missing from accessories/entourages.
  • The only failure state in the game is losing in combat - doing 1-2-2-2-3 star expeditions is a legitimate if low-scoring path to victory.
  • In combat, emotional/mood buffs and debuffs are significantly powerful - try and keep synergies in mind when making teams (ie., a powerful speech attacker, someone who can grant Excited, and someone who give Impressed), and do everything you can to avoid negative moods. Remember that actions that align with the current mood subtract points from the other two, and that actions that kill an enemy increase the shift by a point per enemy killed.
  • If all else fails: Picking someone with a "bonus on roll success" skill like Dolores or Wang as captain and just shoving every skill you can into them can very rapidly spiral out of control - skills do give small amounts of stats, and stats affect both combat and rolls, so someone with levels in everything can often be a beast in combat and get good odds on rolls just from all their raw stats before even taking the actual relevant skills into question.

One last tip, spoiled since it involves a later game event chain: There's a special event chain involving gargoyles in the Hungarian Fort and Transylvania expeditions that, once completed (involving getting a password from other events across multiple playthroughs), unlocks alternate secondary treasures for the starter islands. These generally give much larger benefits than the regular treasures, so they're worth trying to unlock and get.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's an old download-only game (as far as I know) but anything for Crimson Shroud?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I really enjoyed Crimson Shroud and found no real traps or gotchas, but I did get stuck for an extremely long (possibly permanent) amount of time at one point. Not due to a difficulty thing, just that I had no idea what to do and just wandered all over the zone for ages.

I'm sure there are some good ways to break it over your knee though, which I also would like to hear.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 16, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

revwinnebago posted:

That's a lot of gameplay detail not specific tips.

- Visit the space station often. Every planet beaten triggers a new cutscene upon arrival and seeing them all unlocks the merchant's secret stash with the best lightsaber crystals in the game
- In general Light Side Powers are buffs, Dark side powers are damage. Healing is still extremely useful for either.
- Focused melee combat heavily favors multiple attacks(dual weapons, flurry) with LS buffs
- Force powers combat heavily favors the dark side
- Alignment has a opposing sliding scale for force powers cost. Decreasing the cost of the light side powers increases dark side cost for powers.
- You dual class to a Jedi early in the game ending any class progression for your original class. Jedi can't wear armor, are melee focused, and gain force bonuses from WIS and CHA.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Some UI notes for Animal Crossing: New Horizons I don't think the game ever actually explains.
  • The left and right arrows on the D-pad seem to swap between tools based on their relative position in the inventory rather than the tool ring, so pressing it will move from the current tool to one left or right of it in your pocket. I mostly found it useful to link the axe and net in case I ran into wasps while chopping trees, but maybe there's other combos. Pressing and holding A while floating the cursor over an inventory item will let you move it around.

• The */10 that shows up when you eat a fruit is a bank of fruit-specific actions you can do, which seems to consist solely of digging up grown trees with the shovel or breaking up rocks. It's handy while moving trees since normal actions like weeding won't waste your fruit, but if you want to avoid breaking rocks for better yields as in an earlier tip, the easiest way to zero it out will likely be to dig up and re-plant the same tree over and over.

• Holding B allows you to run. It does make you likely to scare away nearby fish and insects, so consider when to use it.

• Holding A while the net is equipped locks you to sneaking speed without having to worry about tilting the joystick too far.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also this is an entirely serious tip but if you ate too much fruit you can sit on one of the various toilet items in new horizons to, uh, empty the meter

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm playing Lobotomy Corporation and I'm really confused but don't want to go searching for hints because it seems that "figuring out" anomalies IS the game. Any tips?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing Lobotomy Corporation and I'm really confused but don't want to go searching for hints because it seems that "figuring out" anomalies IS the game. Any tips?

I'm assuming you've played the tutorial and understand the basic controls and interface.

Every day you have a quota of energy to meet (PE boxes) but you should not necessarily end the day as soon as you fulfill your quota and the end day prompt pops up. If you just focus on filling your quotas and blowing through the days you'll end up extremely weak and underprepared for the later stuff. Exactly what you choose to accomplish in each day is up to you, but here are some important things you need to do as the days progress.

1) Complete side missions assigned by the department heads. These start easy (get a good work result 4 times) and get extremely hard, but you have to do each one to unlock the next one, and each one you accomplish completes a research, which are permanent bonuses, some of which are game-changingly necessary. Some missions are not possible until later days (the control team will ask you to complete an Ordeal of Dusk, which do not start to happen until day 21), but the game will tell you if a side mission is not possible yet.

2) Accumulate research points on any abnormalities that you haven't unlocked everything for. Getting weapons and armor from abnormalities is absolutely critical, everyone should be in the best gear you can give them at all times. Remember that there are 5 tiers of abnormality, Zayin, Teth, He, Waw, and Aleph, and if you are working with or fighting an abnormality from a tier that is higher than your weapons and armor, you will take extra damage and deal much less. It is far far better to equip He-class armor that does not give a resistance to a damage type than to equip Zayin-class armor that does.

3) Level up the stats on your employees. Employee stat gains are based on what they did that day. Performing Instinct work raises the employee's Fortitude (hit points), Insight work raises Prudence (sanity points), Attachment work raises Temperance (work speed and work success rate), and Suppression work raises Justice (attack speed and movement speed). Working with higher tier abnormalities provides bigger stat gains, and stat gains will softcap and become tortuously slow unless you work with higher tier abnormalities. You should constantly be sending employees to work the most dangerous abnormalities they can survive, and turning them into omni-skilled badasses. You'll need them later.

Focus on accomplishing these three things as much as you can, keep your eyes open and understand how each abnormality works. The dangerous ones are all a pain in the rear end but give incredibly good equipment which you absolutely need.

Finally, don't forget your resets. Eventually you'll run into some bullshit abnormality that instakills your best guy via some mechanic you never could have predicted, and you should absolutely not accept this loss. You have 3 options.

1) Reset the day. This undoes anything that happened. Just like reloading a save.
2) Return to Memory Repository. The Memory Repository is a special checkpoint that happens every 5 days. Returning to a memory repository will reset all your employees back to the state they were in at that checkpoint, but you KEEP any side missions you completed, any research bonuses you unlocked, any abnormality research you completed, and the state of your armory. If you can only complete a difficult side mission by taking heavy losses, you can take the losses, finish the mission, complete the day, and then Return to Memory Repository to get all your employees back alive but also keep the side mission completion. Keep in mind that if an employee dies, their equipment is destroyed, so it's possible to lose gear this way, but gear can by rebought from the abnormality it came from, quality employees are not so easy to get.
3) Restart at day 1. Just like the memory repository, you keep all your progress but return to day 1. Use this if you get totally stumped, you can blow through the early days real quick by using all that high level gear you kept.

Resetting is part of the plot, it is not cheating, you are expected to do it, do not ironman this game!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

yook posted:

Some UI notes for Animal Crossing: New Horizons I don't think the game ever actually explains.
  • The left and right arrows on the D-pad seem to swap between tools based on their relative position in the inventory rather than the tool ring, so pressing it will move from the current tool to one left or right of it in your pocket. I mostly found it useful to link the axe and net in case I ran into wasps while chopping trees, but maybe there's other combos. Pressing and holding A while floating the cursor over an inventory item will let you move it around.

• The */10 that shows up when you eat a fruit is a bank of fruit-specific actions you can do, which seems to consist solely of digging up grown trees with the shovel or breaking up rocks. It's handy while moving trees since normal actions like weeding won't waste your fruit, but if you want to avoid breaking rocks for better yields as in an earlier tip, the easiest way to zero it out will likely be to dig up and re-plant the same tree over and over.

• Holding B allows you to run. It does make you likely to scare away nearby fish and insects, so consider when to use it.

• Holding A while the net is equipped locks you to sneaking speed without having to worry about tilting the joystick too far.

When you hold A with a net you aren't locked into a single speed, you can still creep up even slower if you very gently hold the stick. This isn't really useful for much except for super rare beetles, which AFAIK aren't available until summer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A Real Happy Camper posted:

When you hold A with a net you aren't locked into a single speed, you can still creep up even slower if you very gently hold the stick. This isn't really useful for much except for super rare beetles, which AFAIK aren't available until summer.
There is also an extremely skittish butterfly that spooks at full sneak speed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

1redflag posted:

Anything for SNIPER ELITE 4? It was free on PS+ a few months ago and I’m just through the first two levels.

Biggest thing is that, unlike other stealth-focused games, you're basically expected to get discovered. Going for a ghost run is extremely hard and generally not work it, so they put in a "relocation" mechanism where if you get spotted but relocate away then you can pick off enemies without them getting a bead on you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Biggest thing is that, unlike other stealth-focused games, you're basically expected to get discovered. Going for a ghost run is extremely hard and generally not work it, so they put in a "relocation" mechanism where if you get spotted but relocate away then you can pick off enemies without them getting a bead on you.

Okay, this explains a lot. I’ve been trying to ghost this game and only been taking shots when I have noise cover or silenced ammo and no other eyes on my target and each level has been taking loving FOREVER to complete as a result.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Saw this posted for Nier Automata, seems like a good addition to the wiki

CJacobs posted:

The majority of them are universal, there are only a few that can ONLY only be done while you're still in the first go around (four out of nearly 40). 6O's quest is unfortunately one of those. Any other sidequests you've started stay in your log when you reach Ending A, but you have to do the steps again.

For reference, the four quests are Terminal Repairs (which is mandatory), Find A Present (for 6O), 11B's Memento, and Jackass' Research.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

1redflag posted:

Okay, this explains a lot. I’ve been trying to ghost this game and only been taking shots when I have noise cover or silenced ammo and no other eyes on my target and each level has been taking loving FOREVER to complete as a result.

Yeah that can be a bad time. You're more or less going to be spending most of your time on yellow alert status when in fights, but as long as it doesn't hit red you haven't been spotted so you're free to keep perforating nazis

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've just bought Kingdoms and Castles. Any tips? I'm playing the casual mode with no enemies, if that makes a difference.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah that can be a bad time. You're more or less going to be spending most of your time on yellow alert status when in fights, but as long as it doesn't hit red you haven't been spotted so you're free to keep perforating nazis

I went back to try v4 after reading this hint and holy poo poo is it a lot more fun to know you can pretty safely be yellow.
I also tried playing it by masking every shot and that is a loving slog.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Anything for Kenshi?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tons.

Cardiovorax posted:

It is. First of all, we have a Kenshi thread which helped me a lot when I started playing the game. Plenty of good advice there, but also too much to really fit in here.

Second, there's a few things that are worth knowing in advance. Don't start as a Skeleton, they're a lot more useful in the late game but hard to maintain early. Bugs are discriminated against in one of the largest human nations, so don't go north if you pick one of those.

Skills and stats go up with usage. Carry something really heavy, like a corpse, everywhere you go and your strength will go through the roof. Travel long distances and your increased Athletics skill will let you run faster, making you more capable of outrunning pursuers. Most things will not kill you if they defeat you, except for certain animals - bandits will rob you blind and then run off, guard forces will grab you and put you in a cage until your bounty is paid off. Slavers will enslave you and sell you. Being an escaped slave is illegal in most places and will get you enslaved right back if someone sees you before the status runs out.

When you build a base, you will get attacked. It's kind of independent from what's actually around you. Getting your base conquered doesn't mean its gone - run away and take your base back at a later time. In general, treat getting defeated as a setback, but not a failure condition. You can recover from nearly anything short of death, even losing limbs.

This game is incredibly moddable and there are already a lot of them. If anything bothers you, check if there are mods to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Actually playing a Skeleton is incredibly easy if you're willing to look up where to get access too free repair beds. They're also very strong early on due to the fact that their damaged -> healed cycle is exponentially faster than feeble meatbag's. This allows you to get into scraps, get beat up, level up, and repeat the cycle far more often. Additionally not needing to worry about food is also incredibly helpful as it allows you to have more inventory space without needing to shell out for a large backpack that can cripple your stats. If your goal is to create a small or even solo murderbot party, Skeleton is basically your only viable option.