Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This is the current Jeskai version I'm running. Could use some tweaking. It feels hot and cold, but hitting Agent on 4 is almost always a sap concede.
Deck
2 Haktos the Unscarred (THB) 218
3 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
3 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
3 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
2 Banishing Light (THB) 4
3 Fight as One (IKO) 12
1 Luminous Broodmoth (IKO) 21
2 Tajic, Legion's Edge (GRN) 204
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Raugrin Triome (IKO) 251
3 Sea-Dasher Octopus (IKO) 66
2 Taranika, Akroan Veteran (THB) 39
4 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
5 Plains (IKO) 260
2 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
2 Island (IKO) 265
3 Mountain (IKO) 269
3 Winota, Joiner of Forces (IKO) 216
3 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195

I accidentally clicked on a BO3 draft instead of BO1. Won my first one but it was dicey and went to game 3. He was getting a lot of value out of Mothra and throwing ground critters to 2:1 me with Mutual Destruction.

Do you think I am getting more of a margin by having the critter lord as my Companion and leaving out the mutate bat, or should I just put the catte in my deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If I copy swallow whole with lutri, does the creature tapped to pay the additional cost on the original spell get a second +1/+1 counter?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

look at the rares I got passed here, tempted to go 4 colour

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Any idea why I am getting paired against someone in Mythic when playing draft when I'm in loving Silver?

I know the game doesn't want you to hang in matchmaking, but it's a real feel bad when I am still learning the set.

(I'm not owned I'm not owned)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Yoked posted:

Any idea why I am getting paired against someone in Mythic when playing draft when I'm in loving Silver?

I know the game doesn't want you to hang in matchmaking, but it's a real feel bad when I am still learning the set.

I've seena couple of people asking about this, and I suspect the player pool is too small to pair within tier.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Friendship ended with Lurrus, now Gyruda is my best friend.

Good lord this Bant Gyruda deck is silly. I'm running a fairly bargain basement version of it and even that way (I don't have all the Broodmoths and the Spark Doubles bc I'm waiting on spending my wildcards to see how long Gyruda lasts before being banned) its just unfair. You can routinely get Gyruda out on turn 4 and at that point what can the opponent even loving do.

The Bant ramp decks of the last year have been a kind of plague. They are super powerful but they're fairly boring linear decks to play against because they dont really interact at all until they go off, and then they win. Not a great play style for the game of Magic.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ok something is hosed

everytime i sideboard it doesnt save it, i just had elspeth conquers death in my opening hand three times after i had gotten rid of it as i was qagainst orzhov aristocrats

what the gently caress is going on? i move the cards in and out of my deck, press "done" the game sits there for a while and then... nah you really want elspeth conquers death

edit: yep its a reported bug

https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs/suggestions/40191766-sideboard-reverts-to-starting-deck

maybe this is why i kept getting run over

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Yoked posted:

I think some of the events use swiss style pairing. That is you are paired against someone with the same number of wins and losses in the current event.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ugh. Drafted well, read the table, came up with a deck that ought've been awesome.

First match got mana screwed. It happens, but it's unfortunate when you have 5 or 6 acceleration cards in the deck.

Second match guy just plain beat me. He had a good deck.

Third match 11 out of the 16 cards I saw were lands.

When are they gonna add that show-your-hand-when-you-lose button so I can at least make my opponents feel guilty for beating up the defenseless?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A fun interaction to look out for: Splendor Mare plus Drannith Stinger makes Drannith Stinger mutate with Drannith healer lol

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I think some of the events use swiss style pairing. That is you are paired against someone with the same number of wins and losses in the current event.

This makes sense for the Bo3 drafts since they are not on the ladder. For ladder drafts (which the new player draft Bo1 falls into), there shouldn't be pairings between Silver/Bronze to Mythic unless no one is playing (maybe that is the case for Sunday at 9AM PT).

Also I have played against the Bant Gyruda deck and holy moly does it goes off consistently. Basically it feels like there is no way to interact with it unless you are playing counterspells (as someone pointed out in the thread before I think). It also seems hard to get under it since you can basically go turn 3 Umori into turn 4 Gyruda.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Luminous Broodmoth plus Alseid is neat too. I really need to think about the possibility of rebuilding a slightly higher monowhite with Broodmoth and Cubwarden.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I just went 7-0 with the absolute sickest draft deck I have ever built. I've been drafting all weekend and mostly doing lots of big fat mutate and midrange with no success in Jeskai colors at all.

Then I made this: https://www.17lands.com/deck/d808af0f869248a3a572b2171ed176c4

Sometime mid-P2 I was like "well maybe if I just build around Lurrus i can try him out and have some fun" because my previous two drafts had been mega garbage.

This deck was totally insane. Lurrus + Sleeper Dart feels like a Modern deck's draw engine, and combining Lurrus + any dude in my deck + Weaponize the Monsters meant I could put games away extremely reliably. The Skycat was a beast, and won me the only game in which my opponent managed to successfully kill Lurrus. I'm still aiming for Mythic this season but if I top the amount of fun i've had with this list I'll simply be floored.

I won 3 of my games by removing all their little guys or flyers, and then stealing their big threat, smashing them with it, and then weaponizing it at them. I also had one opponent scoop after back-2-back Keep Safe.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Are 5000 gold ranked drafts coming back for the latest set?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bust Rodd posted:

I just went 7-0 with the absolute sickest draft deck I have ever built. I've been drafting all weekend and mostly doing lots of big fat mutate and midrange with no success in Jeskai colors at all.

Then I made this: https://www.17lands.com/deck/d808af0f869248a3a572b2171ed176c4

Sometime mid-P2 I was like "well maybe if I just build around Lurrus i can try him out and have some fun" because my previous two drafts had been mega garbage.

This deck was totally insane. Lurrus + Sleeper Dart feels like a Modern deck's draw engine, and combining Lurrus + any dude in my deck + Weaponize the Monsters meant I could put games away extremely reliably. The Skycat was a beast, and won me the only game in which my opponent managed to successfully kill Lurrus. I'm still aiming for Mythic this season but if I top the amount of fun i've had with this list I'll simply be floored.

I won 3 of my games by removing all their little guys or flyers, and then stealing their big threat, smashing them with it, and then weaponizing it at them. I also had one opponent scoop after back-2-back Keep Safe.

I'm starting to realize that in draft, you get to build decks vs 'mid-range good stuff' like in sealed.

There's nothing wrong with mid-range good stuff, but that's playing fair. Please, we're playing MTG - it's all about making the most broken deck in the Ikoria 40 card standard.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

The Bramble posted:

Are 5000 gold ranked drafts coming back for the latest set?

Ranked is called Quick Draft now, and will be available thus:

April 17—May 1: Core Set 2020 Quick Draft
May 1—May 15: Ikoria Quick Draft
May 15—May 29: War of the Spark Quick Draft

This is according to an article from last week, so maybe things are different. I haven't checked.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Midrange Good Stuff is the most boring form of Magic

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well Arena sure has some weird issues. Had a close match with some dude named Offline. I have him on board, his hand is empty, and he draws what would be his final card, and waits through a timeout. He emotes Oops, and a second later I get a network error message. It goes away, but now I'm stuck waiting for his timeout that will never end and cannot do anything. I suspect the guy rage disconnected, putting me in a position where I have to concede and accept a loss just to continue doing something else. What a bastard.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A pretty big tournament with some good players going on today with new Ikoria standard decks. Also coverage is better than Channel Fireball's because the casters are all roommates and are therefore in the same room talking to each other:

https://www.twitch.tv/teamlotusbox

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I just discovered that turbofog takes gyruda's lunch money. :D

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If you mutate Bronzehide Lion and it dies, all of the mutations come back as separate auras with the Indestructible ability too. Pretty neat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well Arena sure has some weird issues. Had a close match with some dude named Offline. I have him on board, his hand is empty, and he draws what would be his final card, and waits through a timeout. He emotes Oops, and a second later I get a network error message. It goes away, but now I'm stuck waiting for his timeout that will never end and cannot do anything. I suspect the guy rage disconnected, putting me in a position where I have to concede and accept a loss just to continue doing something else. What a bastard.

If you were in a paid event you should be able to report this and get your entry fee back.

And rage disconnects shouldn't ever cause you to have to concede anyway, it should rope the quitter out, so it might be worth reporting it either way.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There's something weird going on with Song of Creation, its my least drawn card but I'm running basically 5 of them maindeck. If its not in my opening hand, its also not in my top 30 cards either. I just want to combo out with song and x-cost guys until lI hit Underworld Breach and Thassa's Oracle

gently caress did someone feature my deck on a stream? Last 3 opponents brought in leyline of the void game 2. This deck is literally impossible to make now.

also the deck loses to itself half the time. Cathartic reunion and mill merfolk get all 4 of your breaches? gg. Also you need to minimize lands so you don't draw a land after you song, but you need to ramp to like 7 mana so you can song, breach, and oracle in 1 turn.

Also the mana isn't good enough to play 3 color song, UU oracle and breach in the same turn

I won't stop playing this deck until I get a win

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 19, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I went 7-1 with ominous seas.dec, including beating a mythic player while I'm in gold

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Something Else posted:

If you mutate Bronzehide Lion and it dies, all of the mutations come back as separate auras with the Indestructible ability too. Pretty neat

I hope there's a decent selesnya deck, because that interaction is really hilarious.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

I hope there's a decent selesnya deck, because that interaction is really hilarious.

Cubwarden and Starrix are both amazing, and putting them with Broodmoth is hilarious...

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What are some more good cards to put in zirda rakdos with ebon legion and phoenix of ash?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Luminous Broodmoth plus Alseid is neat too. I really need to think about the possibility of rebuilding a slightly higher monowhite with Broodmoth and Cubwarden.

Yeah OK I just attacked with a 7-power Cubwarden on turn 4, there's somethign to this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

resistentialism posted:

What are some more good cards to put in zirda rakdos with ebon legion and phoenix of ash?

Whisper Squad, Fiend Artisan, and Priest of Forgotten Gods.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If the client gives you a network error then you need to Alt-F4 and restart. You won’t concede. It’s not going to move forward no matter how long you sit there.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Went 7-1 in sealed with this deck, quartzwood crasher just takes over the game if they can't immediately deal with it and ram through is amazing removal.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

SalTheBard posted:

I made this deck:

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/248318

Which is a pauper "Toughness Matters" deck. The Commander (Hualti, the Sun's Heart) makes your creatures assign damage by toughness instead of power, so you get a bunch of low casting cost 1/4's out, then on Turn 3 they turn into 4/4's and you can start swinging away. It is pauper so it's commons only, I'm sure there are much better versions, but I like Brawl and wanted a few decks so this one was a good choice for me.

I also like Torb Brawl

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Meta/Brawl/Torbran,%20Thane%20of%20Red%20Fell

Take your pick. It's like cheating because you deal so much loving damage so quickly. You can probably swap around some of the rares (and at least the deck I'm using, has 11 rare cards and 5 mythics. You might have some already so it might not even end up being that bad.

Tried both, Huatli is surprisingly strong! Who knew 1/2 mana 3/3s would be such a beating.

Torb Brawl is cool, but I feel like people can see your plays coming from a mile away.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

For someone scraping the barrel of gems and literally cheering each time my draft breaks even so I can draft again - today's daily deal brings a slight lessening of the stress. I like what they're doing with the deals and it gives me more reason to become re-addicted the daily gold digging.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

If you were in a paid event you should be able to report this and get your entry fee back.

And rage disconnects shouldn't ever cause you to have to concede anyway, it should rope the quitter out, so it might be worth reporting it either way.

Yeah, I took a screenshot and sent that with the activity log in. I alt f4'd out but they'll have the info about it at least.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lid posted:

ok something is hosed

everytime i sideboard it doesnt save it, i just had elspeth conquers death in my opening hand three times after i had gotten rid of it as i was qagainst orzhov aristocrats

what the gently caress is going on? i move the cards in and out of my deck, press "done" the game sits there for a while and then... nah you really want elspeth conquers death

edit: yep its a reported bug

https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs/suggestions/40191766-sideboard-reverts-to-starting-deck

maybe this is why i kept getting run over

Lid posted:

so important note about these companion decks, at least this abzan one im running (already changed the decklist)

after your first sideboard, if it goes to second side board your deck will revert to its ORIGINAL decklist and you do have to sideboard again. I don't know why it does this but it means if you don't you requeue without sideboarding and thisn can very much gently caress you.

qbert posted:

Can anyone clarify whether or not this is a bug in Arena or intentional: I was playing a Jeskai Fires deck with Keruga as my companion. Game 2 I sideboarded in Aether Gusts and Mystical Disputes. I was still able to have Keruga as my companion and cast him as a companion on G2.

I was under the impression that if you sideboard in cards that break the companion requirements, that you're not supposed to get them for those games.

These are all the same things. The decks are reverting because they are no longer valid after you sideboard in Companion busting cards. You are not getting the Companion for free after breaking requirements. They need to revamp the sideboard ui.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Here's my own early take on Zirda fling mono red if you need another mono red list. Steam-kin is worth investigating, too.

Companion
1 Zirda, the Dawnwaker (IKO) 233

Deck
3 Zirda, the Dawnwaker (IKO) 233
4 Claim the Firstborn (ELD) 118
4 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
18 Mountain (IKO) 271
4 Tibalt's Rager (WAR) 147
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Fling (ELD) 126
2 Scorching Dragonfire (ELD) 139
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Goblin Banneret (GRN) 102
1 Heartfire (WAR) 131

Sideboard
1 Zirda, the Dawnwaker (IKO) 233

kater
Nov 16, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah OK I just attacked with a 7-power Cubwarden on turn 4, there's somethign to this.

This is what I've been grinding with:

It seems... decent. Bronzehide, Kaheera, Questing is a heck of a curve unanswered, it has enough defense to survive RDW pretty handily. There's enough meat there to remove all even cards if you want to against hell squid. Still messing with it but my only other thought is removing 2G Vivien for more of the 1GGG but I haven't committed the wcs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can anyone share a decent Lurrus and Gyruda deck? I'm not sure I have enough wildcards for both, so I want to see which one gels better for me (and which is cheaper to make)

Edit: Also is Dimir Flash a thing or does it just get buried by the aforementioned?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hey something I noticed: the godzilla sleeves not having the right card names is annoying, but the upside is they block the dumb giant animations from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Went 7-2 with a pretty decent Lurrus deck with some fun cycling stuff. This latest draft I got Vivien, Winota, and the dino that makes dinos when your tramplers hit. I'm excited about this one.