Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nordick posted:

Y'all need Unrestricted Customization.

The UI can be a bit confusing at first, and I also suggest a mod like Uniformity* to go with it, but it's so worth it, if only for the possibility to mix and match hero class cosmetics with normal XCOM stuff.

*: Also Free the Hood, Alternative Prop Positions and Anarchy's Children Extra Options.

I had half of these, but not the others and I am extremely into making my barbies super clashing and bright colors, thank you for enabling that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The tier three armor and guns in this game look like rear end. They look flimsy 3D printed toys, and make me miss the old Titan and EW plasma gear so much. like all the cannons using the chain saw grip to fire but have a pistol grip underneath to carry them, its one of those things that just make me go ?????? how did this make it through to release.

The mag tier stuff looks great, XCOMs especially, but god the aesthetics of beam weapons are just awful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Titanfall cosmetic mods are all really good at blending tacticool poo poo with sci-fi armor while still looking scruffy and well-worn, they're my favorite and I use them whenever I fire XCOM 2 up

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SpookyLizard posted:

The tier three armor and guns in this game look like rear end. They look flimsy 3D printed toys, and make me miss the old Titan and EW plasma gear so much. like all the cannons using the chain saw grip to fire but have a pistol grip underneath to carry them, its one of those things that just make me go ?????? how did this make it through to release.

The mag tier stuff looks great, XCOMs especially, but god the aesthetics of beam weapons are just awful.

There are mods that address* all of your complaints. Including a remake of the EU plasma weapons.

*there's one or two or more? cannon animation mods, and several mods that can enable you to have all guns at all tiers so you can use whatever gun you like visually and have the same full damage.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
i know fam, im just shittin on some godawful design here.

god enemy within was basically perfect

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

god enemy within was basically perfect

I do wish the satellite rush wasn't so dang frustrating, but otherwise I agree, XCOM is a perfect game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SpookyLizard posted:

like all the cannons using the chain saw grip to fire but have a pistol grip underneath to carry them, its one of those things that just make me go ?????? how did this make it through to release.

This used to be a huge pet peeve of mine, too. And, well, it still is, but like Light Gun Man said, there are now mods to address it.

One option is Cannon Animation Redux which just makes characters carry cannons by the rifle grips.

Another, slightly more involved option is to install a cosmetic weapon pack with LMGs in them. I used to use the Resistance Firearms pack, but got tired of the bloat so I just have a couple smaller ones from the same author, like this one.

EDIT:

SpookyLizard posted:

gently caress, beaten (sort of). Well, maybe someone else can use this information. V:v:V

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 19, 2020

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I do wish the satellite rush wasn't so dang frustrating, but otherwise I agree, XCOM is a perfect game.

I used to just tweak the panic settings down a step to make it less crazy, but even then I think classic is pretty reasonable unless you get unlucky in the beginning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I would personally disagree, I actually prefer even "normal" xcom 2 over first xcom, but I can more than understand why folks don't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I prefer 2 a lot though I miss Vahlen and not needing to worry about timers, even though they're generally tuned to be beatable with turns to spare.

E: The story and feeling of progression especially. XCOM1's context feels more like constantly fighting fires, XCOM2 feels like turning the tide on an oppressive and overwhelmingly superior force.

Runa fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 19, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I would personally disagree, I actually prefer even "normal" xcom 2 over first xcom, but I can more than understand why folks don't.

I'll be honest, as much as I'm enjoying XCOM 2, I do prefer the setting of XCOM 1 - the concept of tracking UFOs and defending the planet works more for me thematically than this more... sci-fi nonsense they've got going. Not to say I don't like ADVENT and such, but there's more spookiness to the X-Files type aliens scittering in the dark, with spooky plans in motion. Which is also why I like to play a lot of X-COM and its total conversion mod X-COM Files as they really hit that itch of "90s Earth versus aliens and cryptids"

e: I need Xenonauts 2 to be good.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll be honest, as much as I'm enjoying XCOM 2, I do prefer the setting of XCOM 1 - the concept of tracking UFOs and defending the planet works more for me thematically than this more... sci-fi nonsense they've got going. Not to say I don't like ADVENT and such, but there's more spookiness to the X-Files type aliens scittering in the dark, with spooky plans in motion. Which is also why I like to play a lot of X-COM and its total conversion mod X-COM Files as they really hit that itch of "90s Earth versus aliens and cryptids"

e: I need Xenonauts 2 to be good.

Ahhh, see the thing is I am a bit too young to remember the 90's "properly" so i don't really get the same thrill. I like the whole "respond to aliens" idea, but I find that the last time I played the "puzzle" of combat just didn't interest me as much.

Judging from past experiences with "beloved game redeveloped" I am going to be pre-emptively sat over here to commiserate.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Ahhh, see the thing is I am a bit too young to remember the 90's "properly" so i don't really get the same thrill. I like the whole "respond to aliens" idea, but I find that the last time I played the "puzzle" of combat just didn't interest me as much.

Judging from past experiences with "beloved game redeveloped" I am going to be pre-emptively sat over here to commiserate.

I was born in '91, so I don't know if I have nostalgia so much as the time period just appeals to me. The cusp before full internet/cellphones, the Men in Black fantasy, and it's before full-blown islamophobia kicked in with 9/11. Honestly just watch some X-Files episodes and that aesthetic, that paranoia, that everything. That's something I dig, and X-COM delivers on that in spades.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My 90's nostalgia is almost entirely tied up in jrpgs and the Clan Invasion so I see where you're coming from, even if I don't necessarily agree.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was born in '91, so I don't know if I have nostalgia so much as the time period just appeals to me. The cusp before full internet/cellphones, the Men in Black fantasy, and it's before full-blown islamophobia kicked in with 9/11. Honestly just watch some X-Files episodes and that aesthetic, that paranoia, that everything. That's something I dig, and X-COM delivers on that in spades.

That's valid, I disagree but valid.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

That's valid, I disagree but valid.

Thank god there's enough games in the franchise to sate everyone!

(please remake/reboot xcom apocalypse proper firaxis please i'm begging you)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I get this. Deus Ex scratches a pretty similar itch to me, given how grounded in conspiracies it is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, personally I find the gritty near future dystopia setting in XCOM 2 or XCOM: Apocalypse more compelling than the original 90s setting. That aesthetic is totally my jam.

Personally the setting of the initial invasion just feels weird/bad to me. Like I have severe suspension of disbelief issues with it because I get nitpicky about settings that are too close to the 'real' world while I have an easier time with more fantastical settings.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank god there's enough games in the franchise to sate everyone!

(please remake/reboot xcom apocalypse proper firaxis please i'm begging you)

Now that I would enjoy.

Like have it so that you are defending from the "not!ethereal" threat but defending a variety of cities whilst doing so.

Also better optimise the system as Xcom 2 is now 4 years old and still takes up more space than other games I have!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Now that I would enjoy.

Like have it so that you are defending from the "not!ethereal" threat but defending a variety of cities whilst doing so.

Also better optimise the system as Xcom 2 is now 4 years old and still takes up more space than other games I have!

Not gonna lie, part of why I keep coming back to X-COM is because it takes up like 100mb of space. I never need to uninstall it to make more space, it doesn't have loading times, etc. (Note that it's so huge because I have TFTD bundled into the folder with the mods, and they add a whopping 70 mb to X-COM's 10 mb)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Trying the legacy ops or whatever they're called for the first time, got to the third mission and on my second attempt I managed to clean up nicely. No damage and by the time I had killed all the enemy units I had extracted five civvies.

And then the game soft-locked when a second Faceless revealed it self. Just panned over to a civvie, played the noise of a Faceless revealing, no animation happened and it just hung there forever.

Now because there is no saving in those missions I have to start the mission over and hope that it doesn't happen again. What fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think, having read your last few posts and the one you linked, you definitely could set a better example. Right now you're attacking the likes and dislikes of people who liked a mod, using a lot of generalizing language to lump people who liked a mod in together as thems, re-importing old drama about people liking or not liking a mod, still bringing this up years later, and doing all of this while posting about how annoying it was that fans of the mod did the same things.

You're being antagonistic while discussing how upset you are that people were antagonized.

Yeah not to put too fine a point on this but I'm referring to their behavior of acting incredibly toxic and pushing other people out of the thread, not liking a mod. We've already had two such discouraged posters post so it's not like these folks didn't exist. Hell yes I was not happy about that crap here. We've also had a dozen conversations about Long War and its continuing development by a volunteer team since the zealots finally left and they've all been fun, civil, and chill. XCOM is a great game series and I firmly believe that you should have fun with it the way you choose, either with mods or without. If someone wants to prescribe the 'correct' way to enjoy it, the way these cats were, they too can ride a one horse open sleigh straight into hell. That behavior isn't welcome here, and one of the lessons from this entire lovely saga is that I can't just will people to post better sometimes.

As for 'bringing it up years later' - again, not to put too fine a point on this, but I was literally asked. Twice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Warlock being able to mind control soldiers is BULLSHIT

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warlock is dangerous but he's also more vulnerable to a single piece of equipment than any other alien

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Warlock is dangerous but he's also more vulnerable to a single piece of equipment than any other alien

Everyone is alive because I'm a filthy save/loader but holy poo poo, grenading him while more and more lost show up is NOT FUN

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

His mind control only lasts for two turns, as opposed to the Avatar's, but so does his cooldown for the ability. Still, sometimes it's worth bugging out of a mission, even if it means letting the controlled guy get captured. Pyrrhic Victories are a good mod to have in that circumstance. Last game, I had to do that on a retaliation, got my sixth rescue then left my Templar in the Warlock's mind grip.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Beat up the warlock, escaped the Lost, and rescued the VIP's companion so she joined up, and...

Before:

After:

I love the look of faint horror in her eyes, as if she's thinking "what kind of clown outfit have I joined, here?!"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

FO4's combat isn't super difficult for the most part but it can get dicey in survival early on (that first deathclaw always a fuckin problem) and power armor earns the "alright time to break out the artillery" feeling they're clearly going for.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xarbala posted:

The Titanfall cosmetic mods are all really good at blending tacticool poo poo with sci-fi armor while still looking scruffy and well-worn, they're my favorite and I use them whenever I fire XCOM 2 up

1000000% agree, they're indispensable

next time I play WOTC, which is likely right after Chimera Squad, I need to find if there's a blisk voice pack

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 19, 2020

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Basic Chunnel posted:

FO4's combat isn't super difficult for the most part but it can get dicey in survival early on (that first deathclaw always a fuckin problem) and power armor earns the "alright time to break out the artillery" feeling they're clearly going for.

Wait, really? I usually just make my way up to the balcony where that one Raider rear end in a top hat is and minigun it to death while it charges back and forth between Raider mooks. Anytime it comes towards me, I step back from the railing and it loses interest in me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh whoops, wrong thread

But yeah in survival they inflate the health quite a bit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Can you flashbang the warlock?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No, it's not that

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

TheParadigm posted:

Can you flashbang the warlock?

Mind Shields almost completely neuter him. I think he technically has a gun but I don't think I've ever seen him actually fire it at me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One reason I like the A Better Chosen mod, it helps the Warlock out a bit; he has something to do when inactive other than wait for the cooldown on his Spectral Zombies (can disable the weapon of an individual soldier, emptying their ammo), helps him remember that he does, in fact, have a gun, and gives him *something* to do against Mind Shields in the form of a straight-up damaging attack that can only be used if the target has a Mind Shield equipped.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jake has regrets:

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1251991959599747084

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No sympathy, he put tits on a snake.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=21

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1251991959599747084

what a world indeed

Edit: that will teach me to post before refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's like they say: "you put tits on a snake, your argument is invalid."