Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how hard is legend of grimrock 2 compared to 1? I'm going to be done with 1 soon and I'm extremely tempted to play 2 with a full team of rats as long as this won't screw me because the game's harder or something

I would say its only harder in the sense that its a bigger game with many, many more nooks and crannys for secrets to hide in. Enemies are generally smarter with new behaviors that are somewhat designed to throw you off if you're used to how they worked in the first game but you also have more options yourself and more ways to exploit the mechanics. Overall, if you enjoyed 1 you should absolutely play 2 because its fantastic and expands upon everything in the best ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

americanzero4128 posted:

I mentioned it a week or so ago, but Kragger99 gifted me Mafia 3. I beat it tonight. I dug it! I spent 59 hours on it, which, is a rarity these days for me, however quarantine and all has me playing more games once the kids are in bed - normally I'm 20 hours or less for a game so I can beat one every month or two. Open world, but drat, a satisfying storyline, decent to good writing, good cut scenes, I'd definitely recommend it. However, don't be a fool like me and look for all the collectibles - not really worth it. The only stuff I'd consider worth it is the races, because the car you unlock for getting first in all of them is :kiss:. Overall, fun game, glad I played it, super glad Kragger99 gifted it to me. Thanks again dude!

Did you watch the post credits scene, because it is very good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

i have a short trip report for Jedi Knight Remastered (a moddb installer from the jedi knight community for Dark Forces II): https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-remastered/downloads

two years ago, attempting to play jedi knight resulted in an inverted 256-color palette running at 640x480... not an ideal way to play the game, and it made me think "oh this game probably isn't any good even if it looked normal". wrong!!!!

in 2020 you can now finally play DF2:JK on a modern pc, with modern resolutions, SSAO, parallax mapping, bloom (for lasers/sabers), anisotropic filtering, and custom FOV. it wasn't perfectly plug'n'play but it was relatively easy to set up (installing in the game directory, editing a .json file, then launching from the desktop rather than through Steam), and now the game runs and looks about on par with Jedi Outcast/Academy with less geometrical definition but some nice visual fixins (the installer includes neural AI upscaled textures for example)

so now that i'm actually playing Jedi Knight.. it's really fun??? the run speed is about the same as Dark Forces but in an actual 3D world now, and the levels have been streamlined into being linear but with larger open spaces, rather than DF's maps which were way too big and required too much backtracking (moreso than DOOM94 even). while you do get a lightsaber, this is still a shooter first and foremost.. so you're not doing the crazy poo poo CovertMuffin does in Star Wars speedruns at GDQ, but you are running around pretty fast blasting stormtroopers and bounty hunters

while dark forces was a DOOM clone, i would say Jedi Knight feels closer to Half-Life 1... there are no headcrabs, but in terms of maps having you go on big journeys, from open combat rooms to descending through vents/gaps, sliding down pipes, swimming through underwater tunnels, solving light environmental puzzles (very light, so far), and doing some platforming -- which works way better here than it did in the original Dark Forces

the most important thing about Jedi Knight though is the FMV, as this game was produced when Lucasarts was still a big(ish) budget studio, so there's CG, there are live actors, there's special effects, and all of it is extremely campy, which is how FMV in games is supposed to be. Imagine Tex Murphy-quality acting, but the story is meant to be action rather than comedy. There are some actors that really chew up the scenery... and everyone makes sure to enunciate very forcefully, since the framerate on FMVs at the time was still below 20.

this isn't a call to action for people to buy jedi knight... this is more for people who might have bought star wars collections in the past, have it in their library already, etc. someday i hope disney does a proper remake of the Kyle Katarn saga, although being realistic, that's never going to loving happen, so luckily the community is around to keep these games running and preserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eYANZVApUg

:krad: I was worried Jedi Knight was always gonna be mired in one of those pain in the rear end "install this specific Voodoo wrapper with these specific settings and if you've done it all correctly the game has a 30% chance of running correctly!" purgatories.

This might be what pushes me into doing a full series playthrough, in fact. Once I'm a little more gaming capable, anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Everyone went nuts for Dark Forces III:Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast but I maintain that Jedi Knight is the better game. The level design was better and it felt that JKII pushed you more towards using the lightsaber and away from the fun guns.

Both games are all-time greats, though. Definitely the best shooters of the year when they came out.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Noooooo

I was too slooooow

Checking my Humble library, looks like I've got a spare Steam key for it. Do you have some way you'd like me to send it to you?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Jedi Knight is one of the all-time classics of first-person shooters, and considering it came out a full year before HL1, it was incredibly innovative. While Jedi Outcast did improve the controls a lot, the level design never hit the incredible highs that Jedi Knight did, especially considering how limited 3d was at the time. There was absolutely nothing else even slightly close to the scale. The demo completely blew my mind when I played it. The first place you loop back and see where you started the level was about as big as anything in Quake 2 (though obviously lower detail), but the scale keeps going up and up from there and the elevator ride to the ship was the first time a video game really gave me the sense of fantastical scale that we're all used to now. The moment in level 6 where you open the door to the giant courtyard surrounding the palace also completely blew my mind.

It also used an easily edited scripting language that was like 15 years ahead of its time. If I wanted to try to get a kid into modding video games today, I'd probably still start him with Jedi Knight. A flexible scripting system and the lack of all the advanced physics and animation systems of modern games made for an incredibly easy platform to play around with.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 19, 2020

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

:krad: I was worried Jedi Knight was always gonna be mired in one of those pain in the rear end "install this specific Voodoo wrapper with these specific settings and if you've done it all correctly the game has a 30% chance of running correctly!" purgatories.

This might be what pushes me into doing a full series playthrough, in fact. Once I'm a little more gaming capable, anyway.

I got it all fired up also ready to play but if you're playing on a higher refresh monitor, there's lots of juddering/stuttering in the game, due to some kind of combination of the maximum tic/refresh the game's scripts and model animations runs at.

See developer conversation here on the dev who made the updated gfx mod:

https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod/issues/35

Looks like limiting your framerate helps a bit with RTSS or built in NVIDIA framelimiter, but I couldn't quite find a magic combination to get it running smooth (on a 144 hz display).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of janky and really obviously still in production but for free, Polyball is a pretty decent Marble Madness/Marble it Up-like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Morganus_Starr posted:

I got it all fired up also ready to play but if you're playing on a higher refresh monitor, there's lots of juddering/stuttering in the game, due to some kind of combination of the maximum tic/refresh the game's scripts and model animations runs at.

See developer conversation here on the dev who made the updated gfx mod:

https://github.com/jdmclark/jkgfxmod/issues/35

Looks like limiting your framerate helps a bit with RTSS or built in NVIDIA framelimiter, but I couldn't quite find a magic combination to get it running smooth (on a 144 hz display).

If you’re already going to the trouble of using frame rate limiters why don’t you just set your monitor to 60 Hz as well?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is the only way to get the original FF7, right?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/FINAL_FANTASY_VII/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

lunar detritus posted:

This is the only way to get the original FF7, right?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/FINAL_FANTASY_VII/

Outside of getting PS1 discs and/or emulation, I think so, yeah.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pretty sure OG FF7 is also available on the playstation store Its on switch too.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Karma Tornado posted:

Did you watch the post credits scene, because it is very good

I did, and yes, it was very good.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Hoo boy. Played 2/3 of What Remains of Edith Finch and I can't remember a thing recently I've had a more visceral negative reaction to. I know it's got endless positive reviews, but I thought it was repellent. Gonna cleanse myself by playing something with a more nuanced take on the death of innocents. Brigador, maybe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leal posted:

Pretty sure OG FF7 is also available on the playstation store Its on switch too.

It's even available on the Xbox one as of last year!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

can't run mods on the console versions tho

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Moreso than in any other roguelite that I've played dying in Nuclear Throne is incredibly frustrating. I'm probably just not skilled enough yet, but the absence of any meta-progression or permanent unlocks (so far? I've seen references to golden weapons and whatnot but none of that has shown up for me in over 15 hours) I think also contributes to it, although on the other hand I do appreciate that it's a purer game in that sense - success is mostly just skill and knowledge. At the moment death is usually so sudden that it just pisses me off, though. You're just so squishy. The worst is when I somehow squeak past Lil Hunter only to promptly die to a random mook instead.

I've reached and died to the final* boss like four times and I have a better sense of my preferred loadouts (Shovel + Assault Slugger is my ideal setup at the moment) so that's something I guess. It's a fun game.

edit: It also doesn't help that the desert is immensely boring.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 19, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Golden Weapons have slight stat bonuses and can be stored as starting weapons, but otherwise there's nothing particularly special about them. You can find them in Golden Chests.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're trying to stumble on how to unlock things, its extremely unlikely. Look up a guide for that stuff.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
That would at least help a bit with the slow start, but I've never even seen a golden chest. The big red chests you get from skipping normal ones, and police chests, but nothing golden.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you're trying to stumble on how to unlock things, its extremely unlikely. Look up a guide for that stuff.

Heh, I actually was, yeah. I've seen references to things but deliberately avoided the details.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The two events are unrelated but I like to believe the Plague Doctor had such heinous sexual escapades that the Crusader doesn't believe in god anymore

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nice.

fake edit: Nice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Now that's what I call emergent storytelling!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Samuringa posted:

The two events are unrelated but I like to believe the Plague Doctor had such heinous sexual escapades that the Crusader doesn't believe in god anymore

I also noticed that whatever he did was so depraved that he no longer is into S&M.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I also noticed that whatever he did was so depraved that he no longer is into S&M.

"Well, got THAT out of my system. Entirely."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hell of a party.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

John Lee posted:

"Well, got THAT out of my system. Entirely."

But introduced something else, it seems

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What kind of game is Elite Dangerous and is it fun?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kraps posted:

space truckers

does the thought of hauling cargo in space excite you

if yes, then yes. if not, then no

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kraps posted:

Best visual and sound design in a space game. Arguably best flight model of a space game. You can probably entertain yourself up to 30 or 40 hours at least if you are interested in space trucking, space mining, space exploring, or space dog fighting. It helps if you vary it up in the "mid game" so if you go in looking to be a lifer space trucker or lifer miner or lifer explorer or lifer dog fighter, you might bottom out sooner. Because you start seeing the cracks eventually but if you get it on sale you have definitely gotten your moneys worth by the time your eyes refocus on the inexplicable grinding and bemoan what the gently caress.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oxxidation posted:

space truckers

does the thought of hauling cargo in space excite you

if yes, then yes. if not, then no

Hey hey you can also shoot rocks or fly around and look at stuff.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 19, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah I played elite dangerous and bounced off of it, after like 5 hours or so I was bored and done. I don't always do well with those "make your own fun" games and also found elite hard to understand as stuff like asteroid mining and certain things about exploration and some other system were poorly explained or not explained at all (in game). I like having more of a goal or more overlying mechanics to give reason to your flying from one place to another.

However, its not a bad game, just not to my taste. The moment to moment flying is fun and engaging, the universe is beautiful, and it captures the feel of having a whole galaxy at your fingertips. I still think it's a great game if you think any of it sounds like something you'd like and are ok with self directed games. Highly recommend despite it personally not fitting my tastes. I still plan on going back and giving it another shot.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 20, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Here was what I did to maximize my enjoyment of Elite Dangerous: bought an awesome HOTAS joystick, played the game at night in a dark room, played with noise cancelling seinheiser headphones, and got high as gently caress. Probably the most immersive experience I could have gotten out of it without dropping money on a VR headset. The WHOM of the ship exiting lightspeed never gets old.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ED is really good but it really depends on what you want out of a space sim and you absolutely have to be okay with setting your own goals.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Albinator posted:

Hoo boy. Played 2/3 of What Remains of Edith Finch and I can't remember a thing recently I've had a more visceral negative reaction to. I know it's got endless positive reviews, but I thought it was repellent. Gonna cleanse myself by playing something with a more nuanced take on the death of innocents. Brigador, maybe.

I loved it, even if I don't think the overarching story sticks the landing as well as the individual vignettes do. YMMV, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

I loved it, even if I don't think the overarching story sticks the landing as well as the individual vignettes do. YMMV, though.

I can see how some of those scenes hit super hard for anyone personally affected by something similar, enough to make them put the game down and never want to play again. The whole thing with the cannery story probably spoke to a lot of people who knew someone who went down a similar life path or struggled themselves.

It'd be like playing a game where you watch someone cutting themselves repeatedly for self-harm, having suffered through it or seen a loved one do the same it just hits a certain emotional trigger and becomes too much.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Jedi Knight is one of the all-time classics of first-person shooters, and considering it came out a full year before HL1, it was incredibly innovative. While Jedi Outcast did improve the controls a lot, the level design never hit the incredible highs that Jedi Knight did, especially considering how limited 3d was at the time. There was absolutely nothing else even slightly close to the scale. The demo completely blew my mind when I played it. The first place you loop back and see where you started the level was about as big as anything in Quake 2 (though obviously lower detail), but the scale keeps going up and up from there and the elevator ride to the ship was the first time a video game really gave me the sense of fantastical scale that we're all used to now. The moment in level 6 where you open the door to the giant courtyard surrounding the palace also completely blew my mind.

It also used an easily edited scripting language that was like 15 years ahead of its time. If I wanted to try to get a kid into modding video games today, I'd probably still start him with Jedi Knight. A flexible scripting system and the lack of all the advanced physics and animation systems of modern games made for an incredibly easy platform to play around with.

The live action cutscenes are extremely 90's video game quality, as is the plot, but I've always really liked the subtlety of how Katarn starts the game as not-Han Solo and as it progresses the script has him gradually stepping more and more into the identity of being a Jedi.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Edith Finch has one truly moving vignette and the rest aren't given enough time to develop, such that the overall effect becomes almost farcical. They really should have cut down the side stories to 4 or 5 with the same weight and creativity as the cannery scene.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the edith finch vignettes vary in quality but it has unparalleled "walk around and open doors in a weird house" action and that's what im really craving in a walking simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

dmboogie posted:

the edith finch vignettes vary in quality but it has unparalleled "walk around and open doors in a weird house" action and that's what im really craving in a walking simulator

I was prepared to be disappointed when you are at the early part of the game and look into rooms through peepholes, assuming that meant they were inaccessible and just flavor, but then later you get to actually explore the rooms fully and it became great