Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I suspect there's large parts of the underplate and sewers they could have just bypassed by jumping over a hand rail or using the buster sword as a bridge. Video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love the picture of what Midgar is SUPPOSED to look like.

Also the entire stair segment did not disappoint

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Macaluso posted:

I love the picture of what Midgar is SUPPOSED to look like.

It's supposed to be Neo Midgar and it is great

Neo Midgar is the iPhone to Midgar's OSHA disaster

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People overlooking FFXII on best FF discussions always makes me :tizzy:

Matsuno trumps Nomura every single time and all non-believers must be scourged off the Earth

Twelve is my second favorite, and people hating on it has never made sense to me.

People liking 9 has never made sense to me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

put tifa and her songs in smash

in tekken actually

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Triple Triad in VIII owned and then they've tried like 4+ times to improve upon, including a real-life version, that just totally sucked poo poo in comparison.

When FFXIV rolled around they gave up and stuck with the classic, it's great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does Magnify work with Buffs/Debuffs? Does the “reduced effectiveness” just mean they don’t last as long?

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

RatHat posted:

How does Magnify work with Buffs/Debuffs? Does the “reduced effectiveness” just mean they don’t last as long?

Duration. Any effect with a duration uses the duration as the magnitude of the spell.

Which confused me at first. I thought Regen from Aerith with her loving monsterous MATK would make it heal a buttload, but it just makes it so she has to cast it less often. Still saves a ton of MP.

And it makes sense to do it this way. Other effects like Poison and Barrier have fixed %'s in order to be useful without being TOO powerful, so duration is the only element left.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So far my main barrier in combat is tiny MP pools. There are barely any turbo ethers in the game, and if a character is magic heavy or in healing duty it never lasts long.

I've also very rarely felt a need to use fira/firaga etc. The main reason use elemental magic seems to exploiting weaknesses for mad stagger, and the base versions still do a great job at that. The higher versions devour MP and it doesn't seem worth it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

So far my main barrier in combat is tiny MP pools. There are barely any turbo ethers in the game, and if a character is magic heavy or in healing duty it never lasts long.

I've also very rarely felt a need to use fira/firaga etc. The main reason use elemental magic seems to exploiting weaknesses for mad stagger, and the base versions still do a great job at that. The higher versions devour MP and it doesn't seem worth it.

Ya you nailed it. Just use tier 1 spells to stagger or put enemies into a pressure state. There are a few occasions on hard where you want to use the higher tier spells to quickly aoe stuff, but it's rare.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The stairs were great. Cloud starting out running and ending with a slow trudging up the stairs and Barret's constant complaints were hilarious.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Proteus Jones posted:

The stairs were great. Cloud starting out running and ending with a slow trudging up the stairs and Barret's constant complaints were hilarious.

I love Cloud trying to look like he's not fussed and then at the end he's absolutely hosed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm in the ending sequence: I have lost an unbelievable amount of good will toward this game in the last 30 minutes. everything after the motorcycle scene so far has been utterly wretched

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am near the end of the game and maybe I should post about this game here instead of three other non-game-specific threads! I am probably going to do a Hard Mode playthrough after learning about Bahamut challenge content.

Is anyone else on the theory train of Jessie actually survived and will be a playable character in Remake Part Two?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a NPC you can talk to in Kalm who just goes on and on about how Mako has made their life easier and God bless Shinra for bringing them such luxury. FFVII is not a dystopia in the sense everyone is beaten and broken. Some people are but many others are living quite happily.

Mmmm, I get what you're saying, but there's a long tradition of dystopias being presented as places where most people are actually fairly/very happy, the idea being that it comes at an unacceptable cost (Be that cost freedom, Lifestream, or the elements of a good life outside of simply being happy).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am near the end of the game and maybe I should post about this game here instead of three other non-game-specific threads! I am probably going to do a Hard Mode playthrough after learning about Bahamut challenge content.

Is anyone else on the theory train of Jessie actually survived and will be a playable character in Remake Part Two?
Please hold your speculation until the end of the game

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Is it just completely impossible to hit enemies with Blizzard?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Nah they all stop in certain situations but it takes way more work to hit aero and blizzard.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Heath posted:

I'm in the ending sequence: I have lost an unbelievable amount of good will toward this game in the last 30 minutes. everything after the motorcycle scene so far has been utterly wretched

Yerp.

We got bamboozled. It's not a remake. It's an alternate timeline story. It's a story about preventing the story from the first game from happening. It's FF7-2: Cloud Returns.

I'd say we just got NOMURA'D but it's been explained to me that he isn't responsible for this mess. I'm still gonna curse his name as the guy in charge of the project who let it happen. :argh:

And so this whole post isn't just a wall of black:

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Blizzard spells have the longest windup time. You know how you can avoid most of their damage by blocking the projectile then rolling away before the ice explodes? Same thing is happening to you. It's absolutely trash unless you need the elemental weakness, I'd stick with Thunder for an instant guaranteed hit or Fire for AOE.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I swear the President sounds like Skullface from MGSV, has anyone seen any videos where they swap each other's speeches yet?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I swear the President sounds like Skullface from MGSV, has anyone seen any videos where they swap each other's speeches yet?

it's the same voice actor

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Veryslightlymad posted:

Twelve is my second favorite, and people hating on it has never made sense to me.

People liking 9 has never made sense to me.

9's plot doesn't stop dead for four hours while you travel from the southern tip of the world to the top with only one cutscene's worth of story or character development in between.

Also once you're done going to Archades, Cid going "cya suckers, I'm going to Giruvegan" and then once you get there it turns out he was just joking and the Occuria just give you a plot coupon basically out of pity.
A plot coupon you don't even use! Ashe decides to use the Sword of Kings to destroy the Sun-Cryst, instead of the Treaty Blade to cut some pieces.

FF12 has the bones of a cool plot, with the tension being that the evil empire is genuinely trying to stop the world being run by ancient gods convinced they know what's best; it's just that your characters don't interact with this plot at all or become aware of its existence until the end of the game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cao Ni Ma posted:

in tekken actually

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Hell house: I sleep
Two (2) helitroopers: The real poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fat Lowtax posted:

There’s a couple of elite combinations that absolutely gently caress me up harder than bosses.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Xaiter posted:

Yerp.

We got bamboozled. It's not a remake. It's an alternate timeline story. It's a story about preventing the story from the first game from happening. It's FF7-2: Cloud Returns.

I'd say we just got NOMURA'D but it's been explained to me that he isn't responsible for this mess. I'm still gonna curse his name as the guy in charge of the project who let it happen. :argh:

The Zack stuff is a bit worrying but I don't think they're really going to gently caress with the game's overall plot as badly as people fear. Barret will still get his little plot arc in Corel. Red will have his thing in Cosmo Canyon. Wacky hijinks will still ensure in Junon and the ferry ride. Aerith will probably survive this time based on the anvil-sized hints they're dropping about it but the North Crater trip will probably still happen, Cloud will still take a bath and Tifa will have to piece him back together again.

Like I think the main comedy and character development beats will still happen, but all the endless chasing after Sephiroth in Disc One and the who-cares crap collecting Huge Materia in Disc Two will probably get shaken up a bit, and that's fine. Kalm is also really wonky from a pacing standpoint if you're just going to dump it as-is into the beginning of a new standalone installment.

The only real question is how exactly Cloud's whole psyche-untangling thing is going to work, it seems like they'll have to make it happen much sooner and it's going to gently caress with the story beats. Hopefully they have a plan for that going in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fat Lowtax posted:

I noticed on hard mode that if you put the helitroopers to sleep they land. And stay landed even after waking up.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People overlooking FFXII on best FF discussions always makes me :tizzy:

I like video games, not spreadsheets

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be brutally honest, I've never even finished FF12 before the combat literally puts me to sleep. Literally-literally, not figuratively-literally. I would fall asleep with the TV on.

Maybe it has the greatest story ever, but I wouldn't know.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Clarste posted:

To be brutally honest, I've never even finished FF12 before the combat literally puts me to sleep. Literally-literally, not figuratively-literally. I would fall asleep with the TV on.

I'm up to the end presumably (vague memory of where I'm at) the crystal space god bit or whatever but I can't be bothered going back to it. It's just so loving long.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I can't remember poo poo about 12's story, even though I gave it a good attempt at least twice.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

dudeness posted:

I can't remember poo poo about 12's story, even though I gave it a good attempt at least twice.

Same. I tried it when it came out and maybe got half way. I tried Zodiac Age and definitely had fun but even with the increased battle speeds it was long as gently caress and a lot of it isn't very interesting. I think I was interested when it was the evil judges or whatever (so the Shinra section) but stopped giving a poo poo when it was space gods and bullshit (meteor section).

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Sapozhnik posted:

hunk 'o spoiler black boxes

I'm sure they'll hit the beats because they're required to, but it's all going to be through this lens of fighting destiny itself and time-wimey nonsense. I fully expect North Corel to magically get better like Midgar after they beat up the physical manifestation of fate that says it had to happen.

On that note, we literally see the Sector 7 plate unfall and everyone get magically better. Also, Zach lives. As a result of beating a Lightning Returns reject boss, we literally watch history being altered in real time/a new parallel timeline being created.

They're telling an FF13 / Kingdom Hearts story in the FF7 universe. You can't insert literal time travel and parallel timelines and honestly call the title a remake of the original. It's a sequel, but calling it FF7-2: Cloud Returns wouldn't sell enough copies to justify the expense of making it.

JBP posted:

Same. I tried it when it came out and maybe got half way. I tried Zodiac Age and definitely had fun but even with the increased battle speeds it was long as gently caress and a lot of it isn't very interesting. I think I was interested when it was the evil judges or whatever (so the Shinra section) but stopped giving a poo poo when it was space gods and bullshit (meteor section).

12 is a long, slow burn. I can understand why it's absolutely dull to most people. But that meandering pacing is pretty relaxing to me. And yeah, the story is pretty solid in presentation it's just our heroes aren't let in on the grand scope of the plot until near the very damned end and it feels... Kinda tacked on.

But it obviously wasn't, they just dropped the ball. Which is a shame because the whole "making a pact with the gods" was actually a baller idea in a world packed with political intrigue.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Xaiter posted:

On that note, we literally see the Sector 7 plate unfall and everyone get magically better. Also, Zach lives. As a result of beating a Lightning Returns reject boss, we literally watch history being altered in real time/a new parallel timeline being created.

They're telling an FF13 / Kingdom Hearts story in the FF7 universe. You can't insert literal time travel and parallel timelines and honestly call the title a remake of the original. It's a sequel, but calling it FF7-2: Cloud Returns wouldn't sell enough copies to justify the expense of making it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Clarste posted:

Same. I have actually fallen asleep playing FFXII before. It is a soporific.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, what? Sector 7 doesn't unfall. We see people rebuilding from the ruins. You know, Life Persists? Also, FF7 had the theme of fighting the inevitability of fate and destiny too. Specifically, Bugenhagn brings it up multiple times, that the planet is hosed regardless of what the heroes do, and that they're fighting against the inevitable death that is far too large and incomprehensible for any of them. That ultimately continuing to go on was simply refusing to go quietly into the night.

Also also That Zack doesn't exist in the same timeline as our Cloud, you can tell because of the Stamp bag they ram on screen showing that he's not a Beagle, he's a Terrier in that Zack's timeline. Also also also, all the Plot Ghosts are dead. That you hideously misunderstood the entire point of the story is not surprising, but the point is casting off the shackles of certainty (The steel sky) and embracing that massive things can change now. People can die who lived, people who died may survive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh lol, I guess that answers my speculation from earlier. I am almost at the end but I guess I really should finish tonight

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was a Tifa guy back in the day but this game makes me love Aerith. She’s so good in this game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Top of every page imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just finished the Air Buster fight, that last phase was traaaaaaash.

Loving Barret more and more every time he opens his mouth.