Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think this is yet another example of bitcoiners not understanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, inheritance of investments is actually one of the biggest loopholes in capital-gains taxation, because the beneficiary can immediately step up the cost basis to its current value, potentially wiping out decades of gains as far as the taxman's concerned

at least that's how it works in the u.s., i'm sure it's different everywhere

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1251744916029550599

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 19, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chart seems to be wrong, value was always $0.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

lendf.me posted:

The hacker(s) have attempted to contact us and we intend to enter into discussions with them.
We are doing everything in our power to contain the situation. We have contacted law enforcement in several jurisdictions, reached out to asset issuers and exchanges to track down and blacklist the hacker(s)’s addresses, and engaged our legal teams.

But would their clients want men with guns to be involved?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
What are Reddit’s blockchain-based community points?

standard ERC-20 token on Ethereum blockchain

representation of ownership of a subreddit

a measure of reputation and contribution within a community

can be used without restriction, control or permission of Reddit

can be used in different ways depending on a community’s culture

Distribution and earning Points

Initial distribution will be 50 M Points and it will count users all-time contribution in a subreddit to date. Then, over the first year, another 50 M Points will be distributed.

With each next cycle, the distribution of Points will decrease and converge towards a maximum cap of 250 M.

Points are distributed to users once in 4 weeks based on their contributions with comments and posts.

some share of Points are reserved for people who contribute to the community in other ways like Mods (10%), Reddit (20%) and another 20% will be reserved for the broader Reddit community.

Spending Points

you can spend Points on special memberships and get exclusive features in the community like badges, gifs, stickers, animated emojis, (maybe flairs?).

users with no Points can also pay with $ and Reddit will burn their own Points on the users’ behalf

spent points are burned and removed from the circulation

Voting and Karma

polls will be common to establish agreements within a community

your weight in polls will be based on your contribution in the community

karma is still earned through upvotes but now also becomes a significant metric in your vote weight and Points earnings

buying Points will not give you more voting power

Full-text version directly from the Reddit app

What are community points?

Community points are a new tool that represents ownership of a subreddit.

Community points are currently available in some subreddits that opt into them (where go by custom names, such as Bricks).

Community Points are earned every month by making contributions to the subreddit, such as posting and commenting. Points can then be used in various ways, including buying memberships and voting on weighted polls. Point balances will also show up next to usernames, as a form of reputation visible to everyone.

Community Points are fully controlled by the people who own them. they live on the Ethereum blockchain, which uses the same technology as Bitcoin to guarantee property rights and control. even Reddit cannot take them away.

As a unit of ownership, Points are intended to be a flexible tool that can be used in different ways by different communities. Over time, communities will find ways to use points that are unique to them and fit their culture.

Points are a measure of reputation and contribution within a community. to highlight the most important members of a community, points balances will be displayed next to usernames on posts and comments in the subreddit.

Memberships

Users can spend points to buy special memberships in their community. A special membership unlocks exclusive features in the community, specifically:

badges: Icons and images that show up next to your name on posts and comments

animated emojis: custom-made animations in comments

GIFs: images from Giphy’s GIF catalog in comments

Points that are used to buy Special Memberships do not go to Reddit. Instead, the Points are destroyed (‘burned’), making everyone else’s share of points go up. this ensures that buying membership rewards the community as a whole.

People who do not have Points can still buy Memberships with dollars. In this case, they will pay Reddit, and Reddit will burn some of its own Points on their behalf.

Voting

Subreddits with Community Points get an additional view of poll results. In addition to the normal headcount view (1 vote per person), there is also a weighted view by Points (~one per Point). this allows the community to see how its core contributors feel.

A person’s weight in the poll is calculated as the minimum of their current balance and the num and the number of Points they have ever earned. this ensures that influence must be earned, and that no one can get Points in other ways to affect their voting weight.

Distribution

Community points are distributed monthly based on contributions made to the subreddit.

Every 4 weeks, Reddit will publish a list of karma amounts earned by each user in that subreddit during that period. the community has a week to review the list and propose changes or alternatives, if they wish. They can do this by creating a new list with an accompanying poll. If the poll meets the minimum quorum and passes, the new list becomes the official contribution values for that period (unless there is evidence of abuse in the vote, such as bribery).

Once the contribution values have been finalized, Reddit publishes the final list, along with Reddit’s signature for each user who has already created a wallet. This signature is used to claim Points on the blockchain. For users that have not yet registered a wallet, Reddit will sign their karma amounts on-the-fly once they do register their wallet. Users will have 6 months to claim their Points from the time the final list is generated, before they expire.

In addition, some share of Points are reserved for people who contribute to the community in other ways. Mods get a 10% share for their administrative contributions to the subreddit, Reddit gets 20% of Points and another 20% will be reserved for the broader Reddit community.

The number of Points distributed each cycle decreases over time and converges towards a maximum cap. Initial distribution will be 50 million Points, based on karma earned in the subreddit to date. then, over the first year, another 50 million Points will be distributed. Over time, the amount distributed every cycle will continue to decrease so that the total number of distributed Points approaches 250 million.

In addition to the base schedule above, half of the burned points are reintroduced each month into the next distribution. This will gradually result in later distributions leveling off to a roughly fixed amount of points.

Note that the initial distribution round works a little differently than later rounds. Karma for the initial round is counted from all time in that subreddit, and Reddit does not publish a CSV with the data (since communities do not yet have Points to vote on changing it).

Wallet

There is a new section of the Reddit app called “Wallet” where you can manage and use your Points. In your Wallet, you can see your Points balance for each subreddit. You can also claim any Points you have earned and spend them on things like Special Memberships. In order to access this section of the app, you must be subscribed to a subreddit that has Community Points. Behind the scenes, your Wallet is a way to access the Ethereum blockchain. When your Wallet is created, it generates a public address and a private key. The public address is your address on the Ethereum network where your Points are stored. The private key is the only way to access it or use your Points.

Only you control your private key. Even Reddit has no access to it. Reddit only knows your public address (so it can check your balance and issue new Points), but Reddit cannot do anything with your Points without your explicit permission.

Backup and recovery

The private key to your Wallet is kept only on your device. That means if you lose your device, your Wallet and all of your Points could be lost. Even Reddit would be unable to recover them. To prevent this, you can back up your Wallet in two ways: -Store a secure, encrypted backup of your private key on Reddit servers. This backup is encrypted with a new “Wallet Password” that must be different than your Reddit password. The encryption prevents anyone else (including Reddit) from accessing your private key from the backup.

Save the Wallet’s Recovery Phrase. The Recovery Phrase is 12 words that can be used to recover the Wallet. We encourage people to store them in a secure place that others cannot get to, such as a password manager.

On the blockchain

Community Points live on the Ethereum blockchain. This uses the same technology as Bitcoin to guarantee that only you own your Points and only you control them. Community Points are stored as standard ERC-20 tokens on the Ethereum blockchain. This makes them interoperable with existing blockchain tools. Ethereum is a public blockchain that Reddit does not control. This means your Community Points can be seen and used independently of Reddit, without having to get Reddit’s permission to use them. Points are owned pseudonymously. Nothing on the Ethereum network connects to your real name or real identity.

How is this different from Karma?

Karma is a score that reflects how much a user has contributed across all of Reddit, as earned through upvotes on posts and comments. Karma cannot be traded or used for other purposes. Karma scores are also centralized — they live on Reddit’s computers and are owned and controlled entirely by Reddit, not by users.

Points are a decentralized blockchain token that represents ownership in a community. They are stored outside of Reddit, they can be traded freely, and they can be used for any number of purposes within the community, without restriction or control of Reddit. If Reddit stops operating, or the community leaves Reddit, Community Points still continue to exist.

Vote manipulation and Karma farming

Reddit’s site-wide policies strictly prohibit vote manipulation, and we have dedicated teams and technology in place to detect and mitigate spam and abuse. Users who attempt to manipulate votes may be temporarily or permanently banned from a subreddit and/or the site.

Regarding Points specifically, any user that has been banned from the site or a subreddit will not be awarded Community Points in future distributions. If a user is not acting in good faith but has not been permanently banned, the community can also vote on an updated karma CSV to make changes to the distribution. This empowers the community to take corrective measures in edge cases of Points earned in bad faith.

In the future, we will continue to evaluate and explore alternative models to mitigate abuse.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:hmmyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maybe this is what will finally get me to post on reddit. probably not though.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

oh no my subreddit was hit by a hostile takeover by shitposters!

or not because none of that redditcoin actually does anything.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

Every 4 weeks, Reddit will publish a list of karma amounts earned by each user in that subreddit during that period. the community has a week to review the list and propose changes or alternatives, if they wish. They can do this by creating a new list with an accompanying poll. If the poll meets the minimum quorum and passes, the new list becomes the official contribution values for that period (unless there is evidence of abuse in the vote, such as bribery).
look at these statists restricting the free market. having a system where someone can just go 'that quorum doesnt count' is against everything blockchain stands for which is decentralization (and bribery).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

red...it??

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hardly knew it!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

holy :lol: that dropoff is so sharp and total that I almost missed it thinking it was the side of the graph

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more like dFormer

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
what does "total value locked" mean? i assume its some coin concept?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vomik posted:

what does "total value locked" mean? i assume its some coin concept?

i think it means the same as “days destroyed"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

too long, haven't reddit :xd:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

:eyepop:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Grace Baiting posted:

:wrong:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
buttcoin thread: your money is for you and your progeny, not for a woman

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
assbuttcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

assbuttcoin

your craigness i think that is going too far

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Chocobo posted:

when he says “your progeny”, does he actually mean “your and your wife’s progeny” or literally what (he thinks) he’ll receive in exchange for his alimony payments?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chocobo posted:

any female born after 1993 can't bitcoin... all they know is fiat, be statist, eat hot chip and lie

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also i almost missed this bit of that post

...! posted:

You should tell her you're reading about Austrian Economics, and she will either be uninterested, in which case you switch the topic to something completely different, or she'll be curious and ask "what's that?" in which case you should fertilize her brain

YOU MUST FERTILIZE THE SMOOTH IMBECILIC LOBES OF THE FEEEMALES WITH THE ANCIENT WISDOM OF MISES

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
fertilize does mean to drop a whole bunch of poo poo, so :hmmyes:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

craig s wright presents: australian economics

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

also i almost missed this bit of that post

YOU MUST FERTILIZE THE SMOOTH IMBECILIC LOBES OF THE FEEEMALES WITH THE ANCIENT WISDOM OF MISES

Buttcoin: SMOOTH IMBECILIC LOBES

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
if you like the sound of my own voice as much as I do and you are bored, here's 40 min of me heaping poo poo on Libra, CBDCs and the bitcoin market.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cognitive behavioural dark coins?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Boxturret posted:

:rong:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

...! posted:

:rong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

:eyepop:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

divabot posted:

if you like the sound of my own voice as much as I do and you are bored, here's 40 min of me heaping poo poo on Libra, CBDCs and the bitcoin market.
buttcoin thread: Blockchains Are…Bad

From a man who "isn't afraid to tell it like it"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

Cock and ball dorture coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010