Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like that the comments are full of ‘oh you look really busy’. Congrats on missing the problem.

I’m guessing most non NZ/Maori know what it is due to rugby, so for those in countries where that’s not really a thing... yeah, this isn’t something English white people should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

This seems like it'd fit nicely in the 80s thread. It makes me think of local public broadcasts, with a "rap" message about how D&D was evil and would kill your neighbors and cut off your penis.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aw, that makes me nostalgic for Captain Planet informing me I can't catch AIDS from a HIV+ kid's soda.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

IoSM: MANKIND WILL DESTORY YOU MANKIND WILL WIN

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:siren: Hello, IoSM! :siren:

I come bearing a gift. Some of you will probably hate it. Others might not. It is, in either case, especially relevant to this thread, so I would like to share it here with you all:

A brand new RULE OF THE DAY! Wow!

As a mod, I advise you follow it; as a long-time poster in this thread alongside you all, I ask you to.

RIP T-Man’s posting

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1247881046089248768?s=19

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

they stopped at 8, the cowards

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Isn't glamping like, exclusively a Boomer thing? Millenials can't fuckin afford to buy a camper let alone decorate one.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

goblin week posted:

RIP T-Man’s posting

I regret only that I have but one account to give

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Decorum rules are terrible and lovely though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Biplane posted:

Decorum rules are terrible and lovely though.

It’s not a decorum rule. It’s a “life is globally lovely right now and maybe my own forum can not make me blow a blood vessel and just be a cute cat pictures forum so I can escape a bit and you can too?” rule from LaB which is pretty reasonable IMO

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1251825145804537857

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

It’s not a decorum rule. It’s a “life is globally lovely right now and maybe my own forum can not make me blow a blood vessel and just be a cute cat pictures forum so I can escape a bit and you can too?” rule from LaB which is pretty reasonable IMO

Idiots on Social Media are SUPER political though. If that's gonna be a rule, maybe there's another forum for this thread?

About 99.9% of the social media idiocy I run into is political.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why on Earth would people want to get rid of bats? They don't attack people, they're generally out only at night and they keep insect populations in check.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Idiots on Social Media thread has been around for longer than C-SPAM has. It is perfectly capable of existing without other subforums' memes nesting inside of it. If you don't like it, go.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Arivia posted:

Love to be blinded from politics thanks to my massive privilage where politics is something that can be escaped from. It's not a reasonable demand because it's something that some of us (including you) whose identities are defacto always politicized, and therefore neither can or want to have some happy good time fun house for someone trying to ban the fundamental and. all consuming acts of political idiocracy on social media. Be honest, 70%+ of the thread's content would be against the rule.

It's the forums posting equivalent of vauge traffic and public ordinance laws that can be selectively enforced by the police enforcement exercising "executive discretion". You may as well probe me with loitering with malicious intent.

This is basic civics 101, very simular to all the trans/queer 101 education that has happened itt, and is now appearantly too scary and political, at least up to LAB and comod's interpretation.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Why on Earth would people want to get rid of bats? They don't attack people, they're generally out only at night and they keep insect populations in check.

I know! I love seeing the bats overhead flying out every night, I count it as one of the great pleasures of living in the area I do. Bats are great!

edit: actually in the replies to that tweet I'm noticing a second strain of idiocy in some of the people arguing against him:

Metis of the Chat Thread has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Apr 20, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skwirl posted:

Tim Smith is a loving moron, Kew is a poo poo place and in another tweet he's on the edge of being racist about it

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm sorry you feel that way. There are lots of other places for you to post "kill all men."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

they stopped at 8, the cowards

drat really wanted to see them do the death of first born son(it was only sons right? or was God a massive poo poo and kill the next oldest son??).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Skwirl posted:

watch the video; it's covid hysteria

that said, fruit bats are enormous, i wouldn't be crazy about living with them

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The Idiots on Social Media thread has been around for longer than C-SPAM has. It is perfectly capable of existing without other subforums' memes nesting inside of it. If you don't like it, go.

I have never once been to C-SPAM. I've just seen those memes very commonly as replies to most political IOSM I find in Twitter and Facebook and Discord and many non-C-SPAM places. I guess I'm unclear on what's being banned here, sorry.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

There's plenty of dumb poo poo to laugh at on the internet that isn't just c-spam style misery posting. It's really not difficult to find.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way. There are lots of other places for you to post "kill all men."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tV33Ewf_hw&t=34s

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. You've put up a clearly targeted rule with, as far as I can see, no public discussion, for reasons that are at the core personal to you and your response. The IoSM thread has been around a lot longer than cspam: because many of the cspam posters were and are also longtime posters itt. This thread has been hyperpolitical longer than you've been a mod and without actually loving defined rules and terms will remain so.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Also being a condencending rear end in a top hat with literally any pushback at all after internally decided major rule changes is amazingly common for mods and I really want to know what kind of weird poo poo goes down in the mod forum to make a culture worse than cspam at productive, fair discussions of power.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I feel like right now there is so much tension and anger in absolutely everyone, online and off, and for extremely good reasons. We are frightened, threatened, disenfranchised and in danger, some of us more so than others, and it all links back to politics. They're inescapable. Everywhere you turn is bad news and people justifiably angry at it. It's as you say, Midnight: that particular kind of posting is everywhere. Twitter, Facebook, SA.

In the past this thread has been a good source of information and viewpoints; while goons mocked the content they would also provide valuable context and insight. That still happens, but the ratio of helpful posts to ones of performative frustrations has sharply declined. IoSM is a good, compact goon-compiled resource, but I feel like it drifted. I would like to see a reduction of white noise posturing; there are plenty of other threads for that.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like right now there is so much tension and anger in absolutely everyone, online and off, and for extremely good reasons. We are frightened, threatened, disenfranchised and in danger, some of us more so than others, and it all links back to politics. They're inescapable. Everywhere you turn is bad news and people justifiably angry at it. It's as you say, Midnight: that particular kind of posting is everywhere. Twitter, Facebook, SA.

In the past this thread has been a good source of information and viewpoints; while goons mocked the content they would also provide valuable context and insight. That still happens, but the ratio of helpful posts to ones of performative frustrations has sharply declined. IoSM is a good, compact goon-compiled resource, but I feel like it drifted. I would like to see a reduction of white noise posturing; there are plenty of other threads for that.

Have you tried saying this itt and seeing what, how, and who wants to help you? Because I do in fact agree with you, but going NO POLITICS ALLOWED out the blue is not going to go unquestioned by a orney pack of talkers. So often I just want to sit down with mods, because there's no transparency on this stuff and it shows a deep distrust of the community to work together. Hence my concerns on the internal mod community, because this shows a deep us v them and presumed acrimonious intent to posters.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I think it would be good if the stupid poo poo posted in this thread was funny, instead of just infuriating bullshit that makes everyone mad and nothing else. I don't know why a forum called PYF is so often seemingly more about posting poo poo you absolutely loving hate.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crocoswine posted:

There's plenty of dumb poo poo to laugh at on the internet that isn't just c-spam style misery posting. It's really not difficult to find.

am I going to have to go read C-SPAM to figure out what "C-SPAM style" is? All I know about it is that politics go there. "Guillotine" is one of the most common replies to any guillotine-worthy political thing in the non-SA world, it's not much to go by unless you mean the exact memes "Kill all boomers" and "guillotine landlords."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Okay, this is more specific, thank you.

But part of the reason I am confused is that the IOSM is the depressing bit of what you're describing, not someone just expressing disgust at it. I don't know how you'd expect to make this place any cheerier without just saying "Hey, no political IOSM," and that'll cut off most of the IOSM in general. Politics is generally what I expect here because that's the dumbest stuff on social media by and large.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hug the landlords

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Perhaps clarify the rule with that then? Allow the politics, but ask for people to refrain from personal attacks and multi-page arguments? I'd be down with that, but making GBS threads on CSPAM and trying to become "apolitical" (which is not a thing, everything is inherently political in nature) isn't going to do anything but make it worse.

Yeah, things are tense, but you don't relieve tension by banning speech.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I for one firmly expect to see people post horrible poo poo, but then the ones that respond to the horror are the ones that get punished. nothing personal, LaB, that's just how that kind of rule seems to go

ultimately I think we're all stuck with each other regardless. we'll just have to see what happens next, together

I agree with the sentiment of "kill all men" posting but I don't think it's getting us much value

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is not too difficult to understand, perhaps just read the rule?

"Looking at funny pictures and reading silly stories isn't the only way people manage their stress, though. In subforums like C-SPAM and D&D, sometimes it's posting things like kill all boomers and guillotine landlords and you know what? If that's those forums' cultures, then that's all right. I don't like landlords either.

But that's not the culture here.

If we wanted to be in C-SPAM, we would be in C-SPAM. If people are in PYF, they are not here for performative posting; they are here for those pictures and stories and for terrible, terrible wordplay. Sometimes, reading the performative posting that's standard in other subforums is just another source of stress: an inescapable reminder of how bad things are getting out there, even when you're trying very hard to escape at that exact moment. I think it would be better if we had less of it here, and I think it's time I try to make it so."

Seems easy enough to understand that you can still post all sorts of fun and exciting content, some of it political even.

If the basic of your gimmick rests on you cawing "Kill all the people I don't like" you can easily find a gimmick that is a little less poo poo, or hop on over to CSPAM.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Holy poo poo this complete breakdown has been a long time coming and it’s loving glorious.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It is not too difficult to understand, perhaps just read the rule?

"Looking at funny pictures and reading silly stories isn't the only way people manage their stress, though. In subforums like C-SPAM and D&D, sometimes it's posting things like kill all boomers and guillotine landlords and you know what? If that's those forums' cultures, then that's all right. I don't like landlords either.

But that's not the culture here.

If we wanted to be in C-SPAM, we would be in C-SPAM. If people are in PYF, they are not here for performative posting; they are here for those pictures and stories and for terrible, terrible wordplay. Sometimes, reading the performative posting that's standard in other subforums is just another source of stress: an inescapable reminder of how bad things are getting out there, even when you're trying very hard to escape at that exact moment. I think it would be better if we had less of it here, and I think it's time I try to make it so."

Seems easy enough to understand that you can still post all sorts of fun and exciting content, some of it political even.

If the basic of your gimmick rests on you cawing "Kill all the people I don't like" you can easily find a gimmick that is a little less poo poo, or hop on over to CSPAM.

okay, yes, I read that, but it actually made it more confusing to me. Again: the depressing part isn't anything being described as banned. Nothing involving politics is ever fun and exciting in TYOOL 2020, especially if we're looking at idiots in particular. It is depressing. If you're trying to make this place cheery and non-stressful, you are going to have to ban politics. None of the things that are listed as "what we are here for" can, by their nature, contain politics.

That's why I assumed at first we were just banning politics. If we're only posting escapism, that's not politics -ever-. We were talking about AIDS like a page back, that's sure as hell not escapism.

I have no gimmick. I am not T-man. I just don't know political IOSM can exist if the aim is escapism/forgetting how bad things are getting out there.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

From my reading of it, the clear behaviour that is wanted to be stopped is performative posting, the "Kill all the people I don't like" posting. It is explicitly referred to as the culture of CSPAM, and then indicates that is not the culture desired here. The second paragraph seems to reinforce this when talking about performative posting, and not content directly.

To my interpretation it is the performative posting that is the issue. You identified in your comment one of the biggest contributors to that. I obviously could be wrong about my interpretation of the rule, perhaps it could include content in political nature as well, and perhaps that might need some clarification.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, I read new rule not as 'don't post politics', but 'don't be boring and performative about it'.

We can post political social media idiocy without going off into the boring stock responses or arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You can't ban politics anyway, because in the end it turns into "anything I don't like is political" and then bad actors are given free reign to punish as they see fit.