Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

it costs a quarter million dollars to open a restaurant in like loving arkansas. I hope that yall are right but i do not expect 90% of nonwhite owned restaurants to come back, which basically means all of the good ones.
Haven't you seen the documentary Demolition Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
it'll be interesting to see how many people actually do go back to eating out a lot. A lot of my mates here have realised how easy and cheap cooking is

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

it'll be interesting to see how many people actually do go back to eating out a lot. A lot of my mates here have realised how easy and cheap cooking is

I'm so loving lazy I'll be eating out again as soon as the office re-opens

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

as soon as the office re-opens

lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

there's no way dirty computer touchers like us are going to see the inside of an office for a very long time if ever again

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

there's no way dirty computer touchers like us are going to see the inside of an office for a very long time if ever again

i miss antagonizing my coworkers irl instead of over slack :(

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
me: "ok man, smell ya later"

ron howard voice: "but he never did"

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

me: "ok man, smell ya later"

ron howard voice: "but he never did"
Bad news about the roni symptoms

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lmao everybody is now fully aware of how expensive and unnecessary office space in major metros is. No company is ever going to pay for floorspace again when they can just pocket the difference.

galaxy brain:

buy office space

buy office space but make it really small and call it an open plan

Make them pay for their own office space but with zoom and slack logos over the face

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 20, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mystes posted:

Bad news about the roni symptoms

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
mods namechange to "roni howard" thankls

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Plenty of people are going to be back in offices; the ‘POS can be a bit too much of a bubble sometimes

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

lancemantis posted:

Plenty of people are going to be back in offices; the ‘POS can be a bit too much of a bubble sometimes

not computer people

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes computer people; for plenty of reasons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thank you for ennumerating those plenty of reasons, very insightful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why is it "roni" and not "rona"

never understood that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

why is it "roni" and not "rona"

never understood that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHm-tp_E0c

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

lancemantis posted:

Yes computer people; for plenty of reasons

Why. Office space in major metro areas is anywhere between 60-100 dollars a sqft, if some executive sees a chance to move that to his bonus, he will. Making your serfs pay for their own space to sit in is a giant power move imo.

You can even hold that 'privilege' over them like pressuring for afterhours work, because after all, why not. Why would you watch TV at 7pm when your work computer is right there and waiting for you. You might as well use your time productively (executive bonuses)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Methanar posted:

lmao everybody is now fully aware of how expensive and unnecessary office space in major metros is. No company is ever going to pay for floorspace again when they can just pocket the difference.

galaxy brain:

buy office space

buy office space but make it really small and call it an open plan

Make them pay for their own office space but with zoom and slack logos over the face

naw, management will insist people still come in to enable organizational synergies and f2f high bandwidth sync-ups

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like I mean it's not like Facebook didn't know about videoconferencing until last month

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

rotor posted:

like I mean it's not like Facebook didn't know about videoconferencing until last month

facebook isn't a good reference of company culture and policies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Methanar posted:

Why. Office space in major metro areas is anywhere between 60-100 dollars a sqft, if some executive sees a chance to move that to his bonus, he will. Making your serfs pay for their own space to sit in is a giant power move imo.

You can even hold that 'privilege' over them like pressuring for afterhours work, because after all, why not. Why would you watch TV at 7pm when your work computer is right there and waiting for you. You might as well use your time productively (executive bonuses)

one of the biggest invisible grifts to look out for is how they will close all the office space and not start paying people rent for the square footage their home offices occupy. it will amount to like a hundred billion dollars and the execs are going to pocket it all.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Some people will be back at offices because their management demands it

Some people will be back because they’re functioning extroverts and like it

Some people have labs that they need to be in to do work

Someone will have to do CJing

Etc

Like I’ll be back and plenty of others in my work space will because it’s not possible for us to do all our work from home; plenty of people have been doing training or classes or taking emergency leave or finding home-able work if they can

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and if any one of you filthy bastards pipes up with "lol thats dumb why would a corporation pay for my home office space when i occasionally strum a guitar or pet a cat in there, it's not dedicated space" i will invite you to return to licking your master's boots, as you are so obviously inclined to do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

well theyre sure as poo poo not functioning now. the loudest people in the company are at like 10% productivity right now and the rest of us are like, business as usual except i cant go in to snipe that free work lunch.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

lancemantis posted:

Some people will be back at offices because their management demands it

Some people have labs that they need to be in to do work

Someone will have to do CJing

Etc

Like I’ll be back and plenty of others in my work space will because it’s not possible for us to do all our work from home; plenty of people have been doing training or classes or taking emergency leave or finding home-able work if they can

pretty curious to know what IT job you have in TYOOL 2020 that can't be done remotely that isn't box shifting or takes place entirely in a DC? CJ doesn't count because that's actually dependent on office spaces existing in the first place.

I had a frame relay lab that was remotely accessible ten years ago (serial console and adsl baby) fair dinkum

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
we’re a brick and mortar software shop, god damnit.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I’m definitely planning on more WFH in the future. My home buying options around here are a lot more attractive if I don’t have to deal with the commute every day.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

one of the biggest invisible grifts to look out for is how they will close all the office space and not start paying people rent for the square footage their home offices occupy. it will amount to like a hundred billion dollars and the execs are going to pocket it all.

p sure you can take it off of your taxes somehow if you work from home a nonzero amount of time

like some calc based on the square footage of your living room or kitchen table area or whatever

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

syntaxrigger posted:

lol man yall wild

If I bothered anyone with my words my bad. I felt like I learned a thing I didn't know and thought about sharing. I'll get better about lurking more.

don’t apologize to idiots who can’t tell the difference between ‘my experience as a computer toucher makes me qualified to diagnose and treat this more effectively than actual doctors’ and ‘oh huh it turns out this disease kills you in all sorts of different unexpected ways and this is really complicated if you get it you should probably talk to someone who knows what they’re doing’

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

nah. you can't just reopen ten thousand restaurants because you want to back to NoRmaL

all those owners will have ruined credit. like five million people that had clean rental records will now have an eviction on file. that means that combined with the fact that landlords credit check now means we will have millions of formerly productive people dying in cardboard boxes

i mean- we COULD go back to normal. all of the problems we are and will face exist entirely as a fictional number in a computer. we could make them all go away once this is over by changing some of those numbers.

unfortunately there’s a few people who REALLY don’t want those numbers to change though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my union was about to go into arbitration for our contract becuase management wanted to significantly cut back on telework, and i'm *really* interested in seeing what happens coming out of all of this, especially with management making comments about how hard everyone is working

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

imagine how much more prepared we’d be for a massive shift to wfh if we’d been spending the past decades rolling out municipal fiber across the country

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

imagine how much more prepared we’d be for a massive shift to wfh if we’d been spending the past decades rolling out municipal fiber across the country

it would have been really nice if we would have thrown a few billion at the telcos like 20 years ago to upgrade their infrastructure. hindsight's 20/20 tho i guess =/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

it would have been really nice if we would have thrown a few billion at the telcos like 20 years ago to upgrade their infrastructure. hindsight's 20/20 tho i guess =/

nice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
"The Chinese have better internet connections than we do" should be a major campaign talking point

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ShadowHawk posted:

"The Chinese have better internet connections than we do" should be a major campaign talking point

i have fiber to the home and i live in china.

i pay $30/month and it includes tv service and 3 sim cards with 50 gigabytes of data a month each

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 20, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

seems pretty high risk as, despite being true in the way it is intended, the obvious retort is that an internet which can't load youtube isn't better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

(not having facebook is actually good etc etc but it's also prob not a winning political point)