Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They were right. We're never going to have great singing voices like Bob Dylan again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Teeing up like that? How can we not follow-through?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Njho2uvOKY

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Push El Burrito posted:

They were right. We're never going to have great singing voices like Bob Dylan again.

If that’s your definition of good, then good we never will

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If that’s your definition of good, then good we never will

:thejoke:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sorry it was on the top of the page :shrug:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Debunk This! posted:

Its funny how worried people were about this for a while. The spectre of auto-tune had so many musical purists convinced that talented singers were suddenly going to disappear now that you could get a computer to sing for you. I remember so much hand wringing from these people about how awful it all was and blah blah blah.

Josie was a pretty great movie though.

There was a freaking Jackson 5 cartoon that railed against automation in music.
I distinctly recall an entire episode where it was some evil music exec. who had a robot that could mimic the Jackson 5 and it was stealing all of their gigs until they managed to overload it or break it or whatever.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I actually watched Josie the other day for the first time. I forgot about auto tune being a growing concern back then. I viewed as more of a dig at consumerism. What an incredibly good and bizarre film.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

There was a freaking Jackson 5 cartoon that railed against automation in music.
I distinctly recall an entire episode where it was some evil music exec. who had a robot that could mimic the Jackson 5 and it was stealing all of their gigs until they managed to overload it or break it or whatever.

The music industry had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the present every time some new piece of technology came about, and even then it was full of industry experts who completely ignored and dismissed massive successes of new platforms and distribution and threatening anyone and everyone with law suits to turn back the clock. For a while there was a push to make copying your own purchased albums for personal use a crime, since in a vacuum making a copy of a song was the exact equivalent of stealing it.

Of all the industries skull-hosed by the march of time its the music industry that most deserved it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A lot of Zoomers just don't have the same "gently caress the music industry" instinct and it's sad. Sometimes just trying to explain it to the kids how much changed in 10 years makes me sound like a crazy person. They just don't know.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My favorite auto tune story was from an interview with The Matrix, a production trio that was responsible for a lot of shiny 00s pop that wasn’t coming from Sweden (and also launched Katy Perry’s career, so take that as you wish). They had thrown Cher’s vocals thru the Antares vocal processor (I think, I could be mixing it up, but that’s the OG Auto Tune box) and they made her sound all weird and cyborgy...but were terrified to share it with her because WHO DOES THAT TO CHER?

She heard it anyway, and thought it was fuckin awesome, so that’s how Believe happened.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That Gravity Falls boy band episode had a bit where someone mentions how long it's been since boy bands were popular, but at the same time in the real world One Direction was also pulling big numbers long after boy bands' heyday.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr Christmas posted:

That Gravity Falls boy band episode had a bit where someone mentions how long it's been since boy bands were popular, but at the same time in the real world One Direction was also pulling big numbers long after boy bands' heyday.

I think Sev'ral Timez might be specifically a parody of One Direction both in that and some sort of obscure math joke in the name. (because if any show is going to do that...) Even at the time One Direction seemed anachronistic to a lot of people. I think the boy band niche is getting filled by Kpop now.

...and hell, it might make sense that a boy band of clones would be a few years behind the curve while they got the cloning project up and running.

mind the walrus posted:

A lot of Zoomers just don't have the same "gently caress the music industry" instinct and it's sad. Sometimes just trying to explain it to the kids how much changed in 10 years makes me sound like a crazy person. They just don't know.

You probably sound like grandpa ranting about the Kaiser.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Apr 20, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr Christmas posted:

The shortlived future law show Century City had an episode where a 90s boy band about to do a 50th anniversary tour were suing one member because he had not had cosmetic surgery to keep looking 20.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

If someone wants to publish music, they can set up a soundcloud and a patreon. The music industry doesn't present as many barriers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also "selling out" means "actually getting paid for your work" which has a certain appeal for people who like food and shelter.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jedit posted:

The shortlived future law show Century City had an episode where a 90s boy band about to do a 50th anniversary tour were suing one member because he had not had cosmetic surgery to keep looking 20.

I just had to look this show up

quote:

In the year 2030, the United States has 52 states and universal healthcare, Oprah Winfrey is the President of the United States (her Vice President is an openly gay, retired, one-armed, four-star U.S. armed forces general) and the Moon has been colonized. Genes for homosexuality and deviant behaviour have been discovered but genetic engineering allows said genes to be deactivated which as a result has impacted the artistic community greatly.[citation needed]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sounds like it did not age well. Even in 2005 I feel like we knew civilization would be destroyed by global warming.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Somehow Oprah being president is the least absurd part of that premise.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It also didn't live long. It didn't even get to air the entire first season before being canceled.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also "selling out" means "actually getting paid for your work" which has a certain appeal for people who like food and shelter.

Selling out means not catering to me in particular

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Bob's Burgers has a reoccurring plot where the girls are really into a boy band. It seemed dated the first time, but now Backstreet Boys are selling out concert stadiums again so joke's on me.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I actually watched Josie the other day for the first time. I forgot about auto tune being a growing concern back then. I viewed as more of a dig at consumerism. What an incredibly good and bizarre film.
iirc, they didn't take money from any of the (many many) brands in the film, which makes it even better. Almost every scene has a visual gag where all of the products are turned so their names face the camera, and it's great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think it's so much that gen z doesn't hate the music industry so much as they're capable of simply bypassing it entirely and do so without a thought.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it's so much that gen z doesn't hate the music industry so much as they're capable of simply bypassing it entirely and do so without a thought.

Right. In the 80s and 90s and early 00s the radio or MTV (and sometimes VH1?) dominated what music was influencial and what bands made it. While to an extent radio has a huge influence now a days, streaming service bypasses the big structures that used to exist.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Sounds like it did not age well. Even in 2005 I feel like we knew civilization would be destroyed by global warming.

I've been hearing about global warming destroying the planet since the 80s. Scientists have been taking about it since, at least, the early 20th century. We've known for over 100 years, it's just taking foooooooooorever to kill us, so may as well ignore it.

It'll be my grandchildren's grandchildren's problem.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been hearing about global warming destroying the planet since the 80s. Scientists have been taking about it since, at least, the early 20th century. We've known for over 100 years, it's just taking foooooooooorever to kill us, so may as well ignore it.

It'll be my grandchildren's grandchildren's problem.

It’s our problem already. Things like unusually destructive hurricane and fire seasons around the globe are direct results of global warming. We’re already seeing growing numbers of climate refugees and the governments of the world are beginning to respond not with compassion but with fascism, which is everyone’s problem. Right now.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm p sure :thejoke:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I keep thinking about the Parks and Rec episode with Venezuela

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Reminds me of how Reality Bites and Rent are the two strongest arguments for putting bougie fucks against the wall. Man those aged well but not in the way the creators intended.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Reminds me of how Reality Bites and Rent are the two strongest arguments for putting bougie fucks against the wall. Man those aged well but not in the way the creators intended.

I loved the sad moving tale of the prestigious university grad who through a guy wanting to bang her gets her lovely documentary bought from her and aired on major TV and its portrayed as a "bad thing" that means she betrayed the purity of the art ideal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If I recall correctly her main means of income is scamming her parents' credit card and her "true love" is a philosophy degree washout with zero job prospects or plans beyond "plays in a band."

Honestly if it wasn't such :smug:-bait for libertarian/conservative "cult of work" I'd love to see a follow-up story where we see how poo poo their lives turn out once being cute, young, and energetic runs out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pentyne posted:

I loved the sad moving tale of the prestigious university grad who through a guy wanting to bang her gets her lovely documentary bought from her and aired on major TV and its portrayed as a "bad thing" that means she betrayed the purity of the art ideal.

The end of history was a hell of a trip. Imagine believing you ever had a choice to become financially comfortable through any series of deliberate actions.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of things that age poorly:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

If I recall correctly her main means of income is scamming her parents' credit card and her "true love" is a philosophy degree washout with zero job prospects or plans beyond "plays in a band."

Honestly if it wasn't such :smug:-bait for libertarian/conservative "cult of work" I'd love to see a follow-up story where we see how poo poo their lives turn out once being cute, young, and energetic runs out.

Its talked up like "these were the real problems facing the gen x youth" when its just the same tale every single generation of spoiled privileged youths who put ideals and beliefs on a pedestal while living off the largess of someone else.

I guarantee you that the rest of the gen X crowd who weren't aspiring filmakers for the art or garage band losers weren't worrying about the true value of their art when they had to pay bills and put food on the table.

When the Ghost Ship fire made the news the media focused on those art communes and its 100% what you think and ton of adults living like their art and passion are all that matters and sharing a kitchen in a warehouse with 20 other people including young children.

Reality Bites is the ur-example of what has gone of for centuries, people both privileged and not flock to a lifestyle ideal of non traditional work pursuing hobbies and whims without regard for care or consequences.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

I keep thinking about the Parks and Rec episode with Venezuela

I love that episode. "We have the best patients in the world. Because of jail."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Its talked up like "these were the real problems facing the gen x youth" when its just the same tale every single generation of spoiled privileged youths who put ideals and beliefs on a pedestal while living off the largess of someone else.

I guarantee you that the rest of the gen X crowd who weren't aspiring filmakers for the art or garage band losers weren't worrying about the true value of their art when they had to pay bills and put food on the table.

When the Ghost Ship fire made the news the media focused on those art communes and its 100% what you think and ton of adults living like their art and passion are all that matters and sharing a kitchen in a warehouse with 20 other people including young children.

Reality Bites is the ur-example of what has gone of for centuries, people both privileged and not flock to a lifestyle ideal of non traditional work pursuing hobbies and whims without regard for care or consequences.

Whereas working for the man always pays off and never fucks up anyone regardless of their good intentions

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been hearing about global warming destroying the planet since the 80s.

in a similar vein, i've seen a couple older movies now where the main conflict revolves around an american family getting absolutely crushed by medical expenses despite starting off as kind of upper-middle class? sometimes the problem is even more delicate, like the family just wasn't rich enough to afford the premium care that would've wrapped things up quickly but were instead worn down by the long attrition of second-rate yet outrageously expensive health care?

not that it's aged poorly, but it's a weird sensation seeing a problem that writers are trying to bring to everyone's attention still remain unresolved decades and decades later

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not enough money behind getting it changed. Simple as that.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not enough money behind getting it changed. Simple as that.

Oh there's plenty of money, it's just pushing the wrong way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Correct. I was kinda hoping this global pandemic would be enough to get universal health care for the US, but it's just not gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

Correct. I was kinda hoping this global pandemic would be enough to get universal health care for the US, but it's just not gonna happen.

My sweet summer child