Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQALX7twYE
this song is a banger and its title is a :master:

This one is the one that plays for a short time when you take over Tifa and Aerith before rescuing Cloud from Corneo right? It's so fuckin good and up there with the squat/pullup music

E: The extended version doesn't loop well :(

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://i.imgur.com/3SMNdFy.mp4

Gee, Barret, you don't say.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Kill All Cops posted:

This one is the one that plays for a short time when you take over Tifa and Aerith before rescuing Cloud from Corneo right? It's so fuckin good and up there with the squat/pullup music

E: The extended version doesn't loop well :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBMZNGr-N0

I like this loop a little better.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Violen posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3SMNdFy.mp4

Gee, Barret, you don't say.

I got a chuckle at that. My man, Shinra built all of this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

maybe the place also smelled really bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of which, what do you think mako smells like? They kind of made a big deal about how Reactor 5 reeked of mako and the memories that brought back.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, what do you think mako smells like? They kind of made a big deal about how Reactor 5 reeked of mako and the memories that brought back.

I didn't really stop to think about it but reading it now my reflexive reaction is "meth lab."

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like to think it smells like a cross between petrol and mint

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
People reported smelling ozone and burnt rubber during the Chrenobyl disaster, I always imagined it smelled like that

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

There are only a few things I think you can permanently miss:
1. The "added effect" materia is in a one-time dungeon, when you go to learn about Red XIIIs dad. Guess who missed it this time around? :smithicide:
2. The W-Item materia the when you return to Midgar late in the game.
3. Cids triple-AP weapon right by where you fight carry armor.

W-Item can be dug up from Bone Village if you miss it, the other two are permanently missable items, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like to think it smells like a cross between petrol and mint

Since mako is Lifestream that's had weird stuff done to it, I imagine it smelling like a humid jungle (like when you go into a greenhouse or a butterfly enclosure at a zoo) but with a harsh burned/ozone element to it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mako smells like high-grade :420:

has anyone done corona/jenova jokes yet

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Got up to Bahamut in the final Battle Sim. Whittled him about halfway, then he summoned Ifrit to run around and murder everyone while I was frantically trying to keep Bahamut from finishing his countdown. Whelp

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

DeathChicken posted:

Got up to Bahamut in the final Battle Sim. Whittled him about halfway, then he summoned Ifrit to run around and murder everyone while I was frantically trying to keep Bahamut from finishing his countdown. Whelp

I really recommend putting elemental + fire on armor for two people. It helps against Ifrit and it will definitely help in the last fight.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Save your limit breaks for Ifrit so you can kill him instantly, use Manaward/-wall to survive Megaflare

a friendly person
Feb 20, 2019
What the hell does Magnify do?? Is it a replacement for the All materia from the original? I can’t seem to make heads or tails of it, and ao far Ive only gotten the single Magnify. It’s making me feel dumb, and the info for it just says “It magnifies the spells” so...that doesn’t exactly clarify poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It is All. It will make the linked Materia target everyone in your party or all enemies.

a friendly person
Feb 20, 2019
Alright, thats what I thought, but having only 1 of them made me unsure.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You only get one. The game is very stingy with blue materia.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
All was ridiculously OP in the original, I'm not surprised there's only one per playthrough.

edit: and apparently there isn't even one in the second playthrough, wow. Just a hard limit of one, ever.

a friendly person
Feb 20, 2019
Ive been removing all materia from my unequipped items and characters. Is this a mistake, or is it okay to do this? What I mean is, is it only the materia equipped during battles that gain AP or does all equipped materia receive AP, regardless of what equipment or character is used similarly to how the equipment gains SP, regardless of use. I hope that I havent been loving myself...

a friendly person fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 20, 2020

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Harrow posted:

The Sector 7 plate appears to be being rebuilt--you can see scaffolding, so Rufus must have approved Reeve's project plan--but nothing magically reappears during that scene at all. Now granted, the rebuilding never happened in the original, but it's not a miraculous reappearance.

I'm pretty sure the area they're in is actually Sector 5 and not the rubble of Sector 7. While going through Sector 5 with Cloud and Aerith, you can look up see that the plate wasn't complete and Aerith talks about how it fell during construction and is being rebuilt. I think Sector 7 is too damaged to actually work in, but some things could be salvaged and rebuilt in Sector 5 (like the sign from Seventh Heaven).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shoren posted:

I'm pretty sure the area they're in is actually Sector 5 and not the rubble of Sector 7. While going through Sector 5 with Cloud and Aerith, you can look up see that the plate wasn't complete and Aerith talks about how it fell during construction and is being rebuilt. I think Sector 7 is too damaged to actually work in, but some things could be salvaged and rebuilt in Sector 5 (like the sign from Seventh Heaven).

More ending spoilers:

You're thinking of Sector 6--that's the one with the incomplete plate. Sector 5's plate is normal. After the Sector 7 plate falls, the refugees go to Sector 6, hence being in the playground and Wall Market.

At first when I rewatched that ending scene I thought they were in Sector 6 due to the incomplete plate, but that would mean the direction they're looking is towards Sector 7 and, well, there's a plate there, which doesn't seem quite right. Someone else pointed out that the scenery around them is all stuff from Sector 7 (not just the Seventh Heaven sign) so it must be that Shinra's actually rebuilding the Sector 7 plate this time around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think that's what is happening because in the board meeting at Shinra HQ Reeve puts forth his reconstruction plan and Prez Shinra is like "we're not fixing Sector 7."

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Guys can you please use the spoiler thread for black walls of text?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think that's what is happening because in the board meeting at Shinra HQ Reeve puts forth his reconstruction plan and Prez Shinra is like "we're not fixing Sector 7."

Yeah but Prez Shinra is dead as gently caress now and Rufus is in charge. The only other explanations would be that the plate has magically reappeared or the animators accidentally put the Sector 6 plate over Sector 7 in that scene.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Why on earth would anybody use the black text in the spoiler thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Today i beat Pride and Joy. Probably. maybe.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Why on earth would anybody use the black text in the spoiler thread.

This isn't the spoiler thread.

edit: wait no I've just got it. Tired.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 20, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah that's what I said!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I posted about this in the spoiler thread last night, might as well talk about it over there if we're gonna: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3918922&pagenumber=72&perpage=40#post504242935

Notably someone caught something I didn't there so that initial post is wrong but the timestamp in the video I linked there is what started me wondering.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

With chapter select, do you have to beat the chapter in order to keep the progress you made in it (Materia, AP, exp, ect. gain) or can you just save it and bop to another chapter with that progress still intact?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Jimbot posted:

With chapter select, do you have to beat the chapter in order to keep the progress you made in it (Materia, AP, exp, ect. gain) or can you just save it and bop to another chapter with that progress still intact?

You keep items, exp, and ap if you save and quit out, but you need to finish the chapter to save dialogue choices or quest completion status.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Skeletron posted:

Thanks ya'll. There are so many weapons / items I never found or never understood when I was a kid that it's like coming back to a whole new game. Clearly the internet wasn't as ubiquitous in '98 so I may have missed a few things.

I don't even think I used Enemy Skills once before but this poo poo is crazy deep. I just left Midgar and right away unlocked Metra Magic, L4 Suicide, and Chocobuckle. And I'm stealing from everything now; got Cloud a Hardedge and Barrett the Atomic Scissors.

I want to stick with Cloud, Tifa, and Barrett but I'm not sure what to do with Tifa since she's currently outclassed in all areas. I tried loading her up with offensive magic but even then her magic attack is weaker than Cloud's. I guess she's better suited for physical damage but she needs a better weapon. I hear the God's Hand gloves are good but I don't know how soon it's feasible to get those.

I'm afraid of missing poo poo this time around but goddamn there is so much stuff they managed to cram into this game it's pretty insane.
No matter how much you're tempted, dont use Big Guard, once you get it, its waaayyy too easy.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Darko posted:

No matter how much you're tempted, dont use Big Guard, once you get it, its waaayyy too easy.

Feel free to use it in the Battle Arena, however.

Gods Hand isn't until Disc 2, you can steal a Grand Glove from the monster that swings a ball and chain around its head in the Mythril Mines, though.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 20, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looked up some quick AP farm options and :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SxZF4j2CM

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best way by far to farm AP is to just blitz the shinra garage a few times spamming magnified fira spells.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The best way by far to farm AP is to just blitz the shinra garage a few times spamming magnified fira spells.

Actually look at the video I just posted because this is flat out wrong. If you don’t gently caress up the first floor you make more than the entire Shinra garage in less than 1 minute.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 20, 2020

a friendly person
Feb 20, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looked up some quick AP farm options and :lol:

ooh this is the kind of farming that ive been sorely missing. the mindless, simple grind is a necessary element for any good final fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

a friendly person posted:

ooh this is the kind of farming that ive been sorely missing. the mindless, simple grind is a necessary element for any good final fantasy game.

It’s no FF12 auto-level and I already had a ton of stuff maxed out since I didn’t use max materia throughout hard except on bosses but this is helping me max out everything else including the additional HP UP materia I was missing for this final VR mission. From doing it a bit just now the pro tip for it is to aim/move to the left right at the start so your first strike doesn’t kill everything.