Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there was a Brothers in Arms game that got announced and had trailers but never actually came out.

I think that was inspired by Inglorious Basterds and was probably going to stray a lot from the other games. I think this was after the success of the first Borderlands game too, so they were beyond going for a realistic depiction of WOII at that point.

Edit: It's even worse.
"Furious 4 was a first-person shooter video game which was being developed by Gearbox Software. It was unveiled by Ubisoft at their E3 2011 Conference.[1] Originally set to be published by Ubisoft and be part of the Brothers in Arms series, the title eventually became an independent intellectual property for Gearbox Software. The project was ultimately cancelled by Gearbox in July 2015, with many of the gameplay elements transferred to another project, Battleborn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood remain some of my favorite video games to this day.

Hell’s Highway was a pretty buggy mess and had a weird health system where the longer you stayed out of cover the great chance you had to get shot and I think one bullet killed you in that game.

It definitely lacked the flow the first two games had.

Also stop giving me Thompsons with a drum mag damnit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

moosecow333 posted:

Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood remain some of my favorite video games to this day.

Hell’s Highway was a pretty buggy mess and had a weird health system where the longer you stayed out of cover the great chance you had to get shot and I think one bullet killed you in that game.

It definitely lacked the flow the first two games had.

Also stop giving me Thompsons with a drum mag damnit.

I really do like them, but stuff like the carentan level are driving me nuts. Fighting two tanks in wide open space then going into the warehouse suck, both for different reasons.

Also hilariously the curbs in carentan mean that allies struggle to get into the warehouse because it's too high to walk up. I had 8 npcs bugging out on the curb at one point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the most interesting part of this thread has been seeing how often really top tier blockbuster games keep being mentioned - BOTW, Witcher 3, RDR2, Mass Effect, MGS5, etc. Every one of the most popular games seems to have some grating, annoying el and inexcusable element to them that find a way to be annoying and keep a game from achieving perfection.

I like how when a popular game has something just absolutely awful about it (like, say, weapon durability in BotW; a game generally accepted as being pretty dang good except for that one really annoying bit) people still will come crawling out of the woodwork to defend it and explain how no, you see, having sword ammo is actually a good and clever design choice because having fun for more than a few minutes at a time is bad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m sure it’s not unusual in the slightest but I get way more frustrated by flaws in otherwise fantastic games than I do in mediocre ones.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I know there are a million valid complaints against Fallout 76, but I personally have a lot of serious problems with the mind boggling keybinds when using a keyboard. Want to leave the game? Open the map and hit Z. Navigate your base-building options with Z and C. When crafting, tab to leave, but only sometimes. Or go back. Maybe. R to scrap, or maybe T? Sometimes the button changes between looking at the crafting options before activating the bench and during. Hit S to start crafting, and then it says press Enter to craft, but Space works easier.
Alt throws grenades. And Alt does a melee attack. That's a fun one to mix up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BiggerBoat posted:

I was just loving with you since it's little things dragging poo poo down and your post(s) read like there's not a single thing about NMS that you like. I just found it funny that a thread about minor annoying issues was 7 paragraphs long and read like you were being sentenced to hell playing this game.

I think the most interesting part of this thread has been seeing how often really top tier blockbuster games keep being mentioned - BOTW, Witcher 3, RDR2, Mass Effect, MGS5, etc. Every one of the most popular games seems to have some grating, annoying el and inexcusable element to them that find a way to be annoying and keep a game from achieving perfection.

Sounds to me like you hate everything about NMS with a fiery passion. I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat. Sometimes it just comes naturally.

Popular games have a lot more people playing them, which means a wider array of opinions, which means no two people are going to feel the exact same way about everything. Nobody's here lamenting the hard-to-navigate menus of Stripper Anya: Christmas Special because there's not a whole lot of people buying it on Steam.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always hate those missions in some types of games where if you don't do something efficiently enough you have to restart the whole process again, like in the penultimate stage in Hyrule Warriors - you need to take out both enemies simultaneously, which isn't hard once you figure that out, but before you work it out you'll learn the hard way that they keep reviving each other which is really frustrating if you take a bit to figure out that that's what you need to do.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Dishonored 2: The menus and text sway back and forth, there is no way to turn this off, it is insane.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

As much as Sunset Overdrive talks up the amps, they're actually really anemic and the selection throughout the game is disappointingly thin.

I actually thought I was missing something, but I checked a wiki and nope, there's really that few and half of them are just "tier 2" versions of the starting ones. It's a real shame, honestly, because everything else about the game is quite fun once you get the hang of it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dudeness posted:

Dishonored 2: The menus and text sway back and forth, there is no way to turn this off, it is insane.
You're supposed to play it on a houseboat for the immersive experience, the swaying of the sea will cancel out the swaying on screen and it'll actually look better than other games as a result.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

exquisite tea posted:

Stripper Anya: Christmas Special

what the actual gently caress

this is an actual game

what the actual gently caress

On topic, I really, REALLY like Age of Wonders: Planetfall, but the tech tree UI could use a little work. For one, it's a sideways tech tree, which means there's quite a bit of scrolling if you want to plan out your advancement. For another- okay, so Planetfall has you playing a bunch of space races, right? Each race has their own military tech tree, selected from a scroll down menu in the military research screen, which already makes things that liiitle bit more tedious. However, the tech tree defaults to your own techs every time you close the research screen, so if I'm playing the Space Mafia but I'm currently going down Space America's tech, I have to manually pull down the tree selection every time. That last part's REALLY minor though, since you can queue things up. It's only if I need to constantly adapt my research options that it starts to annoy me.

Another thing I really shouldn't be complaining about is Star Traders: Frontiers, aka Rogue Trader Simulator. The game is loving amazing, made even moreso by the fact that the devs Trese Brothers update it quickly, frequently and often substantially. Which is the minor little problem I've got with it, in that I find myself wondering if I should load a game or start a new playthrough every so often just in case the devs update it again. No update ever invalidates save games, but sometimes I want to play through the early game with a carrier, you know?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wow okay the pacing and story in RDR take a nosedive in Chapter 5. The whole Guarma section feels unfinished, or cut down to insignificance from much more ambitious plans, disposing of antagonists and resolving plot hooks as soon as they're introduced. For gameplay, it might as well have been a pure rail shooter.

e: okay any Rockstar mission has that rail shooter air about it, just... more than usual here I guess.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I've started playing Final Fantasy VIII for the first time! Oh god it has the worst tutorials. And the worst part is that I know exactly how it happens, because as someone who writes documentation I know all too well the well-intentioned but misguided thought process that leads to this end result, because I have to stamp it out every month or two.

The way it explains junctioning and GFs* is a perfect example of people who knew the thing they've implemented needed an explanation, but were too close to it to realize what part specifically needed to be explained. So you get a wealth of text boxes outlining what every option in a menu does, but no actual context on why any of it's important or useful, and you probably need to review it a couple times because while they do give actually useful information, they embed it in a single text box about 70% of the way through.

*Also they drop 'GF' all the goddamn time without explaining what it means. That is a basic sin of writing, both informational and otherwise, but I don't care, because it makes so much of the dialog about them hilarious.

I think the tutorials manage to be heavy handed but also don't quite fully explain everything about the systems to play. GFs are Guardian Forces though, guardians are what you junction to your characters, which are basically summons from every final fantasy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wow okay the pacing and story in RDR take a nosedive in Chapter 5. The whole Guarma section feels unfinished, or cut down to insignificance from much more ambitious plans, disposing of antagonists and resolving plot hooks as soon as they're introduced. For gameplay, it might as well have been a pure rail shooter.

e: okay any Rockstar mission has that rail shooter air about it, just... more than usual here I guess.

Yeah its completely normal to feel that way; also the fancy stuff merchant (you will know what I mean) is a complete grind-fest to get done. Just drop those and finish the story.

And after that, finish the story.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I dropped everything non-essential to the story around the start of chapter 3 or so.

I found one dreamcatcher and one set of dinosaur bones. One. I can't even conceive of where Rockstar are putting their collectibles these days (well, I know it: into the guidebooks they want to sell).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's inevitable that any large game will pad out the playtime with collectibles and challenges. Who does it best and worst?

Resident Evil series: Good. You're not turning all the rooms blue on the map to make it tidy, though that is an incentive. You need to scrounge for every round of ammo to keep on edge unless you are somehow able to kill Hunters with a knife. In the REmake you are strongly encouraged NOT to to retread old rooms because any zombies you felled will return as stronger, faster Crimson Heads. This encourages planning and optimizing your route on replays.

Arkham Origins and Red Dead 2: poo poo. You have to complete challenges in a strict order and progress is not retroactive. The stealth challenges in Origins are straight up unwinnable because they hinge on Predator rooms, which are limited in number. The infinitely superior Arkham City had no such restrictions. Red Dead 2 has gated challenges as well as collectibles that are difficult to track. I don't know why Rockstar puts poo poo in their games that isn't fun to find, barely reward you, and aren't even needed for any trophies.

Just Cause 3: Good. This game had a ton of issues but I do like any incentive to flex your move-set, and that what counts as collectibles are mostly buildings and military bases you have to blow up.

Anthem: poo poo. There's a point in the game where you're progress is blocked unless you fill a checklist of poo poo that in other game would be optional stuff located in the stats menu.

Assassin's Creed: Mixed. The series has been overkill with useless crap since its inception but Unity takes the cake.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I got past the part in brothers in arms road to hill 30 I was stuck on by basically clearing everything out on my own. Then because the guy I was supposed to meet was still stuck trying to walk into the sidewalk I ran far enough away to despawn him so he would spawn in the right place.

The last mission had a cool and challenging battle to start, then I get told I have to sneak past a bunch of tanks and machine guns all alone, in a change from the rest of the game which is all about working with your squadmates to take down enemies.

Kind of a lovely end to what was a pretty good game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's inevitable that any large game will pad out the playtime with collectibles and challenges. Who does it best and worst?

Resident Evil series: Good. You're not turning all the rooms blue on the map to make it tidy, though that is an incentive. You need to scrounge for every round of ammo to keep on edge unless you are somehow able to kill Hunters with a knife. In the REmake you are strongly encouraged NOT to to retread old rooms because any zombies you felled will return as stronger, faster Crimson Heads. This encourages planning and optimizing your route on replays.

Arkham Origins and Red Dead 2: poo poo. You have to complete challenges in a strict order and progress is not retroactive. The stealth challenges in Origins are straight up unwinnable because they hinge on Predator rooms, which are limited in number. The infinitely superior Arkham City had no such restrictions. Red Dead 2 has gated challenges as well as collectibles that are difficult to track. I don't know why Rockstar puts poo poo in their games that isn't fun to find, barely reward you, and aren't even needed for any trophies.

Just Cause 3: Good. This game had a ton of issues but I do like any incentive to flex your move-set, and that what counts as collectibles are mostly buildings and military bases you have to blow up.

Anthem: poo poo. There's a point in the game where you're progress is blocked unless you fill a checklist of poo poo that in other game would be optional stuff located in the stats menu.

Assassin's Creed: Mixed. The series has been overkill with useless crap since its inception but Unity takes the cake.

The only good collectibles are ones that are easily trackable. Either with map upgrades a la Ubisoft games, or are specific things so you can look them up and see what you’re missing. Nothing takes the wind out of my sails like have 99/100 of something and zero indication of what I’m missing

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
Dead by Daylight, Although it has plenty of bugs one of the ones that really annoys me is when playing as killer and you pick up a downed survivor and then just get stuck in place. You can spin around and look anywhere but can't walk and can't drop the survivor. There is no way to end the game unless one of you quits and if you were having a good match you probably don't want to be the one to quit so it just becomes a stand off as to who is willing to leave the game open while doing something else the longest.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Deacon91 posted:

Dead by Daylight, Although it has plenty of bugs one of the ones that really annoys me is when playing as killer and you pick up a downed survivor and then just get stuck in place. You can spin around and look anywhere but can't walk and can't drop the survivor. There is no way to end the game unless one of you quits and if you were having a good match you probably don't want to be the one to quit so it just becomes a stand off as to who is willing to leave the game open while doing something else the longest.

Speaking of stand offs, I don't play Dead by Daylight but I thought this clip was really funny (don't worry it's only a couple of minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigsmcbqYv4&t=835s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

The only good collectibles are ones that are easily trackable. Either with map upgrades a la Ubisoft games, or are specific things so you can look them up and see what you’re missing. Nothing takes the wind out of my sails like have 99/100 of something and zero indication of what I’m missing

Boy aint that the truth. I've currently got 99.83% completion in Smash Bros Ultimate's World of Light mode and gently caress if I know the part I overlooked.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Boy aint that the truth. I've currently got 99.83% completion in Smash Bros Ultimate's World of Light mode and gently caress if I know the part I overlooked.

When Gran Turismo 2 came out in the US they deleted some content but didn't adjust how the game calculated completion, so the highest percentage you could get was 98.2%

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Beartaco posted:

Speaking of stand offs, I don't play Dead by Daylight but I thought this clip was really funny (don't worry it's only a couple of minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigsmcbqYv4&t=835s

Haha yeah they could get quite tense. They have changed the mechanics now though. The killer can kick the hatch closed and then you have to open an exit gate instead.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

RareAcumen posted:

Did you fight Galeem and Dharkon separate because I only found out they count as spirit fights after a good hour search

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can't even conceive of where Rockstar are putting their collectibles these days (well, I know it: into the guidebooks they want to sell).

Wait...people still buy guidebooks? Any game I purchase has full YT runs up and online strategy guides within hours.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I dropped everything non-essential to the story around the start of chapter 3 or so.

I found one dreamcatcher and one set of dinosaur bones. One. I can't even conceive of where Rockstar are putting their collectibles these days (well, I know it: into the guidebooks they want to sell).
For GTA5 they actually had all the collectibles on your character's "Social Club" website and many of them don't count towards 100%. There are worse offenders.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

100 percent in GTAV only counts general progress and Franklin-exclusive stuff because Trevor and Michael can be permanently killed off. It's weird they went through the effort of having multiple-endings, where only one ending has you kill the bad guy who hasn't paid you for any of the work you did for him and is actively undermining you. It's such a brain-dead choice that it shouldn't have been in the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

100 percent in GTAV only counts general progress and Franklin-exclusive stuff because Trevor and Michael can be permanently killed off. It's weird they went through the effort of having multiple-endings, where only one ending has you kill the bad guy who hasn't paid you for any of the work you did for him and is actively undermining you. It's such a brain-dead choice that it shouldn't have been in the game.
Game should of been you playing as Franklin and constantly getting having to pick between Michael's or Trevor's plans on heists/missions, at least then the killing one of endings would of made sense.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
NieR: Automata

- The androids seem to be sexualised. What the gently caress?

- 2B and 9S look pretty similar. This is particularly confusing during fast-paced fight sequences when I struggle to tell which one I’m controlling.

- Chips, pickups, fusing, etc. I find it all a bit daunting/confusing. This is probably just me dragging things down. However (and this is one for the other thread) I loved the NPC at camp who said, “You look loving clueless - do you want me to just set you up to be at your optimum?”

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Robert J. Omb posted:

hahaha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
we need a That's Dark Souls/XCOM emote except got Taro Yoko.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Did you fight Galeem and Dharkon separate because I only found out they count as spirit fights after a good hour search

I did the fight against both of them so I assume that I did.

Yeah I just checked and I've got all three videos for all the endings so I must've done it.

Dash Rendar posted:

we need a That's Dark Souls/XCOM emote except got Taro Yoko.

Yeah, these are all we've got so far.

:yokotaro: :chast2b:

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Robert J. Omb posted:

- Chips, pickups, fusing, etc. I find it all a bit daunting/confusing. This is probably just me dragging things down. However (and this is one for the other thread) I loved the NPC at camp who said, “You look loving clueless - do you want me to just set you up to be at your optimum?”

Chips are pretty straightforward. There are a lot of good ones, but the various health chips are the most powerful. Offensive heal/deadly heal/auto-item/etc all combined means you regen health automatically, get back more for attacks and kills, if you ever do get hit you automatically heal, etc.

If you don't want to worry about recovering your body with chips when you die, you can always manually load your save.

Fusing is cool but not especially necessary, at least on normal. Basically you can keep fusing chips of the same kind to get a better version. However, as you fuse, the better chips will take up more and more space. Therefore, you want the smallest variant of a chip you can get. A +3 and +6 health 1 chip are identical, but the +3 is better because it takes up less space. If a chip is as small as possible, it gets marked with a black diamond.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Robert J. Omb posted:

This is probably just you, you pervert.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yknow how people have always speculated that Kojima is an rear end man? Well with Yoko Taro you can rest easy, there was never any doubt.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Things dragging down Terraria: Blood moons. I've been on a modded binge lately, doing a large expert world, and I have had 3 blood moons back to back, which means the light goes all red, the music goes creepy, and there are ENEMIES EVERYWHERE. The kicker is that I wouldn't mind so much if this had happened a few nights later, since by then I'd have completed my revamped mob farm surface arena.

The wiki says a blood moon has a 1/11 chance of spawning, which means I just hit a 1 in 1331 chance for this... hah.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

So I got past the part in brothers in arms road to hill 30 I was stuck on by basically clearing everything out on my own. Then because the guy I was supposed to meet was still stuck trying to walk into the sidewalk I ran far enough away to despawn him so he would spawn in the right place.

The last mission had a cool and challenging battle to start, then I get told I have to sneak past a bunch of tanks and machine guns all alone, in a change from the rest of the game which is all about working with your squadmates to take down enemies.

Kind of a lovely end to what was a pretty good game.

Maybe this is too little, far too late but is that the Brothers in Arms game where on PC the AI is totally bugged and you need a fan patch to make it work remotely properly? :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Robert J. Omb posted:

20 days late for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Robert J. Omb posted:

- 2B and 9S look pretty similar. This is particularly confusing during fast-paced fight sequences when I struggle to tell which one I’m controlling.

I grabbed this since it was on GamePass and I have to ask, do the constant perspective shifts annoy you as much as they annoy me?