Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Untrustable posted:

Rented Underwater earlier and it was pretty ok. It's a very dark movie. Not tone-wise. I understand it takes place at the bottom of the ocean but drat I couldn't see half of the movie. The giant sea monster reveal was cool but the movie overall was pretty generic.

This was my take as well. I saw it in the theater and spent half the movie squinting at the screen.

I'm waiting for it to come to streaming so I can watch it at home and have a bit more control over the image because I liked what was going on, even if it is a bit generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watched underwater last night and really enjoyed it. I didn't mind the darkness.

The suits and creature designs were dope.

Tj Miller should've died instead of Rodrigo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the darkness. It played up the idea that the bottom of the sea is basically another world and a very spooky one.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Has there been any good Found Footage movies released in the past couple years? I’m always scrounging around for the drat things and I’m coming up a little short as of late.

sponges fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 19, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sponges posted:

Has there been any good Found Footage movies released in the past couple years? I’m always scrounging around for the drat things and I’m coming up a little short as of late.

Strap a camcorder to your hand and walk around for awhile?

I just found "FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER" graffitied onto a building next to a highway. I get the quote, I appreciate the sentiment, but people are getting loving weird out there.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

sponges posted:

Butterfly Kisses is pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a term for when a long running horror series gives up on making horror movies in favor of making movies that are just installments in the series?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Its called desagilation

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Is there a term for when a long running horror series gives up on making horror movies in favor of making movies that are just installments in the series?

Full Moon Syndrome?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sponges posted:

I'm assuming you've seen hell house llc

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I liked hell house a lot but it is challenging to keep track of the characters as they are uniformly white male bearded redditors running a haunt so if you struggle its ok.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Finally got around to seeing Color Out Of Space last night, and had a blast with it. Nicholas Cage's weirdness worked pretty well for depicting the typical lovecraftian madness in a way that felt more... tangible? Like, he depicted a madness that was less dramatic and more pathetic/weird to behold. I dug it. Plus all of the effects were fantastic, and it was generally a very visually pleasing film. Was inspired to paint one of my favorite shots from the movie afterwards. Mild spoiler if you haven't seen it yet:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's some dope rear end art.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

sponges posted:

The Taking of Deborah Logan is a few years old but it's really good. Also seconding Butterfly Kisses.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Just watched Green Room followed by The Ranger. What's another recent spook-a-doodle about punks that I can make it a triple-feature with?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

I liked hell house a lot but it is challenging to keep track of the characters as they are uniformly white male bearded redditors running a haunt so if you struggle its ok.

The character I thought was kind of generic and hard to keep straight is... the other guy. Everyone else has a clear role in the narrative (and only one of them has a beard). Alex is the one driving this for some secretive reason, Sara is the one who seems to be suffering from the house's influence, Mac is just trying to keep the train on the tracks, and the bearded rear end in a top hat is basically the narrator of the story who witnesses all the same creepy stuff we do and comments on it. Maybe that's why you thought everyone was a "bearded redditor" because that dude is always the one filming and talking. The last guy is generic as hell and I would sometimes confuse him with the other two, but I almost think that was intentional. It seemed to me like he was kept ill defined and kind of invisible because his role in the narrative is to be the person who screams "ENOUGH!" when everything just becomes too much for any sane person to ignore it. He spends the whole movie standing back observing with us and then speaks up so the movie can address the elephant in the room.

Maybe I'm giving it too much credit and he's just an extra body they did a bad job fleshing out, but I think its actually a very tightly made little story. Shame about the sequels.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So my wife and I are doing a Half-o-ween celebration on May 1 with a theme around isolation and rounding out some of her horror blindspots. So, we're doing a triple feature of The Thing, Evil Dead, and The Lighthouse.

I'm looking to fill it up though and make it into a bit of a fun event for us. Making some youtube clips of ambient creepiness and also some thematically appropriate shorts to watch before the films if anyone has any good shorts based around isolation.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I'm trying hard not to be personally insulted, as the thread's seemingly most vocal fan.

Basebf555 has From Beyond, kvlt! has Rob Zombie anything and Evil Bong, I won't shut up about Demons. (And Demon 2. And The Church.)

Let it be on record that I'm the Henry:PoaSK guy

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Timeless Appeal posted:

So my wife and I are doing a Half-o-ween celebration on May 1 with a theme around isolation and rounding out some of her horror blindspots. So, we're doing a triple feature of The Thing, Evil Dead, and The Lighthouse.

I'm looking to fill it up though and make it into a bit of a fun event for us. Making some youtube clips of ambient creepiness and also some thematically appropriate shorts to watch before the films if anyone has any good shorts based around isolation.

Not really horror (depending on how the social distancing thing is going for you), but Bong Joon Ho's entry into Tokyo! (2008) is fantastic. Everyone should watch Tokyo!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My Twitter Account posted:

Just watched Green Room followed by The Ranger. What's another recent spook-a-doodle about punks that I can make it a triple-feature with?

vfw

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Bert of the Forest posted:

Finally got around to seeing Color Out Of Space last night, and had a blast with it. Nicholas Cage's weirdness worked pretty well for depicting the typical lovecraftian madness in a way that felt more... tangible? Like, he depicted a madness that was less dramatic and more pathetic/weird to behold. I dug it. Plus all of the effects were fantastic, and it was generally a very visually pleasing film. Was inspired to paint one of my favorite shots from the movie afterwards. Mild spoiler if you haven't seen it yet:

Watched this last night too, and freaking loved it. Not often that doing the "horror movie right before bed" gives me actual nightmares, but I woke up around 3am with a feeling of absolute dread. Loved the practical effects, loved the sense of hopelessness, and loved that the kid actors were good. Of course, watching Nic Cage freak out is always awesome. I especially liked his commitment to his "dad voice" as he became more unwound.

The night before, I found that The Lighthouse is on Prime and finally gave it a go. I also really liked it and now I feel like I need to find a 3rd "bleak descent into madness" film to round out the weekend. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Okay yeah I watched Demons and it whips rear end

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

The Church comes thiiiiis close to whipping as much rear end, but doesn't quite stick the landing, imho. Still totally worth checking out. I feel like Demons 2 is a collection of good moments that don't necessarily add up to a whole movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My Twitter Account posted:

Return of The Living Dead

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

COOL CORN posted:

I love the opening scenes with the woman getting off the train

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched a few episodes of Cursed Films on Shudder, ending with The Twilight Zone. I was afraid the episode would dive into a silly "curse" but instead was a pretty well put together examination of the incident and nailed the piece of poo poo Landis to the wall. His culpability is laid bare for all to see, he really should have spent years in jail and his career should have been over. This episode juxtaposes careless big Hollywood with Lloyd Kaufman which is :allears:.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

feedmyleg posted:

Gotta vouch for the forums' own Monster Craze Memoirs, as well as The Evolution of Horror.

To me, the foundation of any good movie podcast is research and/or expertise. You've gotta be significantly more informed than your audience. Having either an academic expert as the host or having someone willing to put in a lot of research and prep work makes it so that it's not just a couple of idiots rambling on about their opinions and making jokes. Unfortunately, research is hard and takes a long time so the vast majority of podcasters are unwilling to put in the work.

I actually totally forgot about Evolution of Horror, that one does rule.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Cursed Films series has generally done a good job of:

A) Introducing and explaining the "curse."
B) Explaining why "curses" are silly and we just see patterns where we want to or when it helps us cope.
C) Shaming us for turning genuine tragedy that people are suffering through into another form of entertainment.

The Crow and Poltergeist entries are especially really good with that and I'll be watching Twilight Zone today.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

STAC Goat posted:

I think the Cursed Films series has generally done a good job of:

A) Introducing and explaining the "curse."
B) Explaining why "curses" are silly and we just see patterns where we want to or when it helps us cope.
C) Shaming us for turning genuine tragedy that people are suffering through into another form of entertainment.

The Crow and Poltergeist entries are especially really good with that and I'll be watching Twilight Zone today.

The Exorcism episode leaping to show a "genuine exorcist" for half of the runtime (and the really awkward treatment of random people) was a mistake because they didn’t really come for him as hard as they should have. Poltergeist episode really was good at that though, I loved the Zelda interview.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BisonDollah posted:

The Exorcism episode leaping to show a "genuine exorcist" for half of the runtime (and the really awkward treatment of random people) was a mistake because they didn’t really come for him as hard as they should have. Poltergeist episode really was good at that though, I loved the Zelda interview.

Yeah, the weird exorcism and satanist witch stuff in the Exorcist and Omen episodes stand out as bizarre and bad choices compared to the other episodes. I guess its really just that those films didn't deal with as much personal tragedy as Poltergeist and The Crow did. So it was very easy to ground those latter "curses" by just speaking to the people who knew Heather O'Rourke and Brandon Lee and humanizing how they had to deal with the deaths and how they were affected by them. With Omen and Exorcist is was more of the supernatural/religious superstitions so you couldn't do the "shaming" thing. I think they were trying by introducing those con artists but they gave them too much attention and it didn't come across as sobering as the other episodes do.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
So this is a crosspost from the horror thread in the Book Barn but this horror thread is way more alive so:

I have a sort of specific subgenre/trope? of horror lit I'm wondering if anyone could help find more examples of. I'm working through Universal Harvester and I'm really interested in more horror/thriller books with a focus on strange, disturbing or otherwordly media. Like weird unknown tapes, audio files of disturbing stuff, etc. A good example would be Night Film where the book is focused on a series of lost and disturbing giallo horror films and a search for their creator.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
The first two that come to mind are House of Leaves and Raw Shark Texts

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grain Elevator and that Kris Straub short film. Also Videodrome (obviously)

And /r/jessicamshannon

E: I am an idiot who missed the 'lit' part of your request

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 20, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OpenSourceBurger posted:

So this is a crosspost from the horror thread in the Book Barn but this horror thread is way more alive so:

I have a sort of specific subgenre/trope? of horror lit I'm wondering if anyone could help find more examples of. I'm working through Universal Harvester and I'm really interested in more horror/thriller books with a focus on strange, disturbing or otherwordly media. Like weird unknown tapes, audio files of disturbing stuff, etc. A good example would be Night Film where the book is focused on a series of lost and disturbing giallo horror films and a search for their creator.

gently caress! Melmoth! Read Melmoth if you haven't yet. The one by Sarah Perry specifically.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Thanks!

Also if you enjoy giallo I would really recommend Night Film. It leans more mystery than horror but it's a really awesome book written by someone who you can tell loves horror and giallo in particular. The MC investigates the death of a famous horror director's daughter and the description of all the films are essentially an awesome collection of ideas for unmade giallo films.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Eh, it's not horror (although many parts are horrific, and there's ghosts), but Infinite Jest is largely about searching for a film (called Infinite Jest) that is so entertaining to its viewers, they lose all interest in anything other than repeatedly viewing it until they die.

If you've never read Nabakov's Pale Fire, that's an amazing novel. Not outright horror, either, but it's a good spooky little puzzle. It is 999 line poem, supposedly the "completed" final poem by the mysteriously deceased poet John Shade, introduced and annotated by his neighbor and academic colleague, Charles Kinbote, who claims to be the author's best friend and the subject of the poem. It gets pretty weird. Kinbote's an insane character.

edit: you know what, an actual horror/thriller book you might like is Last Winter We Parted by Fuminori Nakamuri. I wouldn't call it "otherworldly", but it hits all the other notes.

Also, the Ringu films are based on novels by Kōji Suzuki

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 20, 2020

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Ill second House of Leaves. I read it in high school, thought it was fine, then read it last year (which was...15 years later? Jesus) And loved it.

Not really a horror novel, but Pattern Recognition might fit in those boxes. It’s also insanely prescient with viral videos and stuff, especially for a book that came out in 2002.

And there’s also the Ring series.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I think otherworldly was a bit too limiting so I suppose I'll amend that to books that focus on horrific media such as the previously stated haunted tapes/House of Leaves style fake films but also mysterious violent media/snuff films. A good example would be something like the film 8mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Check out the granddaddy of them all, The King In Yellow. It's especially eye-opening if you've watched the first season of True Detective. You can find links at the bottom of the Wiki article to free versions online at Project Gutenberg.