Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so, let's say someone wants to get an RTR rock crawler to gently caress around with, but wants to stay under or around $300 (flexible). any recs? looking at the rc4wd gelande, and the scx24 (though that's out of stock basically everywhere). i'm not married to a smaller scale and would be happy if i could get a 1/10 crawler in that range. thoughts?

e: been doing some research and what with being stuck inside all day a mini crawler would probably be best. sucks that the scx24 is sold out literally everywhere

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm bored out of my mind, but the woods behind the house look perfect for crawling.
What's a good kit these days? I want a challenging build that can crawl but also speed up a bit on the easy paths.

I've had an Axial AX10 Deadbolt in the past and was less than impressed by the quality of it, from shocks to servo/direction, tires... Do they make something decent these days or should I look at other brands?

Edit: can you crawl the SMT10? Looks fun. I could make it into a Clodbuster replica for nostaligia's sake

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Most of the crawler manufacturers have acknowledged demand for customization and offer “Builders Kits” that are complete except for body, wheels, tires, and electronics. If you want a challenge, building something unique is where it’s at. Anything I’ve built that was a challenge was because the instructions or kit were made poorly.

Every truck I’ve owned has been faster than I am walking down the trail.

The SMT10 is not well-suited for crawling. If you want an actual Clodbuster, Tamiya still makes them. The scale monster truck scene still has a following. Big Squid RC has been posting quite a bit about it. The coverage is a little thin, imo, but at least it gives you a starting point.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

so, let's say someone wants to get an RTR rock crawler to gently caress around with, but wants to stay under or around $300 (flexible). any recs?
You are literally describing an Axial SCX10II RTR. The Deadbolt, or the Unimog would be good. You will go *slightly* over budget with the addition of a charger and batteries and eventual upgrades but it is far more capable than the SCX24 ever will hope to be.
My 2 1/2 year old loves his little SCX24 we got him last year for his birthday. I bought him a clear Jeep body and the new bumpers/mounting bits and we painted it orange (his fav color)

they are really tippy but cool.

Spatule posted:

I'm bored out of my mind, but the woods behind the house look perfect for crawling.
What's a good kit these days? I want a challenging build that can crawl but also speed up a bit on the easy paths.

As much as I don't want to admit it - probably the TRX4 kit is a good fit for you. They are really capable crawlers and you can make them pretty complex. Personally I wouldn't buy one because I don't care for Traxxas cars at all but I can admit that I am a very weird user with an eclectic taste. It is admirable that Traxxas has gone back to offering build kits too.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have the Traxxas Bronco and it's so much better built than the Jeep SCX10II my son has.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i miiiight have gotten impatient waiting for this thread and ordered a rc4wd gelande 1/18 and the orlandoo hunter kit.....

but i'll definitely look into an scx10 ii when that stimulus hit

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As much as I don't want to admit it - probably the TRX4 kit is a good fit for you. They are really capable crawlers and you can make them pretty complex. Personally I wouldn't buy one because I don't care for Traxxas cars at all but I can admit that I am a very weird user with an eclectic taste. It is admirable that Traxxas has gone back to offering build kits too.

They are priced insanely high in Europe (460€ for the TRX4 kit) and I despise their guts. drat, I hoped for something else with 2 speeds, portals, lockable diffs etc.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wandler20 posted:

I have the Traxxas Bronco and it's so much better built than the Jeep SCX10II my son has.
I’ve not seen the supposedly better scx10.3 yet but the difference in plastics quality between a TRX and a 10.2 is immediately obvious. The funny part is that it doesn’t make the TRX better at crawling because even pared down it’s much heavier than the axial. It’s a much better trail truck tho.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I’ve mostly been interested in planes and was just starting to practice when quarantine hit. Finding places to fly is now challenging as parks have spread out families. I’m thinking a basic Traxxas for the kids to enjoy might be a good option. I’m a bit confused about the batteries though. It looks like lipos are an option, but the connector doesn’t look like one that I recognize from the pictures. Do I need to buy a separate charger, or is there an adapter I can buy for my Imax B6 charger?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
All of the big vendors have their own proprietary connectors. I will concede that it is nice that the balance leads are integrated in most of the designs. But the cynicist in me says it’s just to squeeze people for the most common consumable.

You can find adapters or cut the leads and solder on your own.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Spatule posted:

They are priced insanely high in Europe (460€ for the TRX4 kit) and I despise their guts. drat, I hoped for something else with 2 speeds, portals, lockable diffs etc.

sounds like what your looking for is the new scx10 iii, has everything you just listed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spatule posted:

Get a scx10.3 kit then, but it's not really as good. Comes with a DIG instead of locking diffs.

Geburan posted:

I’ve mostly been interested in planes and was just starting to practice when quarantine hit. Finding places to fly is now challenging as parks have spread out families. I’m thinking a basic Traxxas for the kids to enjoy might be a good option. I’m a bit confused about the batteries though. It looks like lipos are an option, but the connector doesn’t look like one that I recognize from the pictures. Do I need to buy a separate charger, or is there an adapter I can buy for my Imax B6 charger?
Step 1 of every model that comes with not-an-xt60 is putting an XT60 on there.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

evil_bunnY posted:

I only just started dabbling in R/C but the wildly inconsistent connector types have to be the most annoying thing about this hobby.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

This post inspired me to order enough connectors to do exactly this. I can feel my life getting better already.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

got a traxxas stampede 2wd to tool around with during quarantine. it's a blast but i can sorta see the shortcomings already--any advice for hoppin' it up?
I impulse bought the same thing a bit ago. Seems fun. The training or learning mode is a nice feature (i've never really had an RC car before).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hikaki posted:

I only just started dabbling in R/C but the wildly inconsistent connector types have to be the most annoying thing about this hobby.
That and the RC protocols yeah

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've recently gotten back as well and it required a lot of YouTube and other articles to research what the hell FrSky is and why LiPos have 2 plugs on them. A lot has changed in almost 10 years.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 1, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Spent some money this weekend and ordered a TT02. Bearings are the only upgrade so far, but I plan on picking up a new radio with model memory soon so I don't have to move around my receiver whenever I want to change it up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rontalvos posted:

I've recently gotten back as well and it required a lot of YouTube and other articles to research what the hell FrSky is and why LiPos have 2 plugs on them. A lot has changed in almost 10 years.
Same but almost 30 years lol

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ghost Scooby oooOOOoooo

TT-02 is pretty much ready to party except for the obvious.

Good news: local hobby shop has re-opened for curbside pickups.
Bad news: they don't carry polycarbonate paints. :argh:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I got that same kit too. It surprised me how nice it looks painted.

What kind of servo did you buy for it? I bought the highest rated cheapo one I could find on Amazon and it seems really terrible at centering, which makes the car really tough to handle precisely. I think I need to buy some upgraded steering parts that will have less play and allow toe adjustment as well.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Just a Futaba ball bearing servo. 3004 is the number I believe. Nothing fancy. I plan on some steering upgrades and oil filled shocks eventually. Got the paint ordered so hopefully I'll have it done up and ready to go slam around next weekend. It's mechanically done and driveable now, but I don't want to risk tearing up the unpainted body and I don't wanna run it naked.

My CC01 tires will fit, but I need to pull off the front bumper to actually have them turn.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Savox do nice cheap but well built servos

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Savox low profile high speed for my XV-01 and never had any issues with it. Whatever Hobbyking cheap servo I had before it wasn't quite fast enough, but it never gave me any trouble with centering or accuracy.

After moving to a new house a few years ago I've barely touched my RC stuff and it kinda bums me out. It was such a nice way to unwind. My old place had a big cement driveway connected to a wide sidewalk that was great for onroad cars, and a bunch of big limestone landscaping rocks that were perfectly for the SCX10. My new place doesn't have a driveway at all and just a normal lawn. I didn't know how good I had it!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Any local parks around? There's a couple pretty close to me but I haven't checked either one out yet. I'd drag the CC over to one by my old house and screw around on the narrow footpaths through the woods. It's a pretty good time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are a couple I've been to that are pretty fun, but kinda crowded if it's at all nice out. Think I should just try to find something a little more secluded and make a point of trying to make it out at some point. Got spoiled by having it out the front door.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I’m really thinking about getting back into this. I had a 1/16 e-revo vxl like 10 years ago and loved it. What’s the contemporary rig? I’d rather have a 1/10 and maybe building a kit.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

wallaka posted:

I’m really thinking about getting back into this. I had a 1/16 e-revo vxl like 10 years ago and loved it. What’s the contemporary rig? I’d rather have a 1/10 and maybe building a kit.

Ive really enjoyed my Arrma Senton, fast and super robust. Looking to maybe get a buggy or truck next like the outcast.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 9, 2020

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Ive really enjoyed my Arrma Senton, fast and super robust. Looking to maybe get a buggy or truck next like the outcast.

Cool, I’ll check it out

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I've been running a rwd Mini-Z indoors lately and it's small enough that going between hardwood and rug will cause it to lose tire contact on one side. With the stock open diff, it would get stuck as it spins one wheel in the air. Looking for aftermarket diffs that have some limited slip action, I found many arguments on gear vs. ball (which I did not know was a thing before this) diffs. Most people seem to swear by ball diffs, and they seem to be the standard type for R/C cars. The official Kyosho upgrade part is a ball diff as well. The main points of between the two seem to be the friction characteristics (ball has a smoother onset of friction which is better for off-road), maintenance (ball requires regular rebuilds), and adjustability (ball gets tensioned, gear gets thicker fluid). After carefully considering all three points, I ended up buying this gear diff because it looks fuckin' neato.

It is unsealed and uses no fluid. Instead, there is a nut on the other side gear for adjusting tension. I'm hoping it works well.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Was pumped to find this thread after the same quarantine journey it seems like other people are on!

Got bored and bought at 2wd brushed Slash. Loved it and ordered a Yamiya kit from eBay that I did not notice was shipping from China. Got bored again and ordered a Stampede 4wd kit. It was a blast putting together and painting. I think I like the building and painting as much as the driving. Any cool brands to check out with kits other then Tamiya? Like are there smaller then 1/10 rock climber kits or anything like that? Or any other brand that would be fun to build but not be as expensive as a dedicated racing kit?

To say thank you here is my first build.

A few more pics of the paint job.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda out of touch, but I think most/all of the smaller rock crawlers are RTR only for whatever reason. Axial and RC4WD make fun scale crawler kits. I'm terrible at painting, but putting together the rest of the kit is definitely a big part of the fun for me too and I don't want anything RTR cause I don't want to miss out on the building part.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

powderific posted:

I'm kinda out of touch, but I think most/all of the smaller rock crawlers are RTR only for whatever reason. Axial and RC4WD make fun scale crawler kits. I'm terrible at painting, but putting together the rest of the kit is definitely a big part of the fun for me too and I don't want anything RTR cause I don't want to miss out on the building part.

Those both look awesome. I was looking to go smaller to be cheaper, but it seems like that may not be the case. I may pick up a Tamiya cc01 kit for a cheap project.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

Like are there smaller then 1/10 rock climber kits or anything like that?
Not really. You can get an scx24 and get a 3d-printed rock bouncer cage kit, but there's no first party micro crawlers that I know of.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think I am going to pause on a crawler then. I think I am going to build a Tamiya Lunchbox Mini. Do I need to know anything about ESCs? I have bought batteries and servos before, but never an ESC. What kind of poo poo do I look for? Like there are 60a, and stuff that I legit do not understand.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

When it comes to build kits the options at this point are:
  • Tamiya which produce great scale licensed bodies or weird quirky stuff.
  • Axial, which is all crawler stuff and the "standard" for excellent performance/scale.
  • RC4WD has a few kits. REALLY cool and scale stuff, not great performance but it gives you the "little engine that could" feeling when you drive them.
  • Element RC - new scale crawler brand by Team Associated. They just announced an RTR "TrailRunner" (4Runner) IFS/rear solid axle which means in three weeks the kit will be announced.
  • Obscure brands like MST, CrossRC(no) GMade(DEF NO). Kind of good, parts are more difficult to source, mixed performance.
  • Traxxas. Eh. It is traxxas
  • Some cool drifters are available in kits.
  • Top of the line race kits. Unless you are racing I wouldn't get one because they are pretty useless outside of the track.

Don't overthink the speed control thing. There are normal brushed type motors and brushless. If you are using brushless then you really need to think about the amp rating. If you are using brushed motors basically any speed controller will work because brushed motors these days are not very high output. If you have a high output motor it is brushless and then you can do the research needed.

What are you needing the ESC for? I will give you an idea of what you need.

Here are some photos from this weekend. We did a hike up in the mountains to get outside. I haven't rebuilt my VS4-10 still because I am not motivated but my son wanted to take his crawler with us so I packed it up with some batteries and grabbed some pics.

IMGUR VIDEO LINK ~10 seconds long

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 21, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing to keep in mind with Tamiya is that some of their kits are old designs that you'll almost certainly want to upgrade from the get go. It's part of the fun, but can also make kits seem cheaper than they'll wind up being. Like, my M-05 came with friction dampers and bushings, the steering linkages suck, doesn't fit square lipo packs, etc. I think I spent as much on upgrades as I did on the kit, and the upgrades generally felt like must haves vs. actual upgrades. This is less of an issue with newer kits and pre-hopped up versions. I don't think I bought anything special for my XV--01, for example.

Also, I'd missed that Tamiya came out with a solid axle crawler-ish thing, the CC02.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tamiya's the kinda guy who's sell you a multi-hundo kit with plastic bushings at all corners. They look so good you won't care much.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Somewhat Heroic posted:

When it comes to build kits the options at this point are:
  • Tamiya which produce great scale licensed bodies or weird quirky stuff.
  • Axial, which is all crawler stuff and the "standard" for excellent performance/scale.
  • RC4WD has a few kits. REALLY cool and scale stuff, not great performance but it gives you the "little engine that could" feeling when you drive them.
  • Element RC - new scale crawler brand by Team Associated. They just announced an RTR "TrailRunner" (4Runner) IFS/rear solid axle which means in three weeks the kit will be announced.
  • Obscure brands like MST, CrossRC(no) GMade(DEF NO). Kind of good, parts are more difficult to source, mixed performance.
  • Traxxas. Eh. It is traxxas
  • Some cool drifters are available in kits.
  • Top of the line race kits. Unless you are racing I wouldn't get one because they are pretty useless outside of the track.

Don't overthink the speed control thing. There are normal brushed type motors and brushless. If you are using brushless then you really need to think about the amp rating. If you are using brushed motors basically any speed controller will work because brushed motors these days are not very high output. If you have a high output motor it is brushless and then you can do the research needed.

What are you needing the ESC for? I will give you an idea of what you need.

Here are some photos from this weekend. We did a hike up in the mountains to get outside. I haven't rebuilt my VS4-10 still because I am not motivated but my son wanted to take his crawler with us so I packed it up with some batteries and grabbed some pics.

IMGUR VIDEO LINK ~10 seconds long

Yeah. I need to decide if I
A) want a 1/10 crawler (then for sure a kit like Axiel/RC4WD/Element rc)
B) want a small crawler (probably a Scx 24)
Or C) build that Tamiya Lunchbox Mini kit.

I like the building as much as running, but I don’t have a crawler or anything small. I will probably eventually get at least A or B and C.

And you guys are right about the kits seeming cheaper. I have found the kit for the Lunchbox Mini like $81, but by the time I add all the esc/receiver/bearings/battery/servo I am at around 200. And that’s with cheap stuff. But the same thing would happen if I bought a $300 crawler kit, correct? I would end up closer to 400 probably.

Would a Hobbywing QuicRun 1060 work for a mini lunchbox if I go that direction?

Also that Jurassic Park Jeep is loving amazing.

Thanks for all the help. This is a super fun hobby, it just jumps up in difficulty quickly from “don’t mistreat lipos” to “what amperage do I need in a esc”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm neck deep in a Tamiya TT-02 Safari 911 build. Can confirm that the kits are so good and fun, you don't care that it's all plastic.

This will be the first one I build with lights. Where and how do I mount the LEDs in the lexan?