Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flying sucks for a thousand annoying reasons. This is generally glossed over in shows about flying.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Perhaps Con Air

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lavaca posted:

The funny thing about TV and movie airplane scenes is that the plane layouts all seem to be stuck in 1995. You see a lot more cushy seats with generous legroom on TV than in real life. That's probably because so many plane scenes are filmed in a studio in LA rather than an actual plane. It would be a logistical nightmare to film onboard something as cramped as an actual modern airplane.

There was a sitcom called LA to Vegas that was about a budget airline but even though the plane was a puddle jumper with four set rows the plane looked way roomier than any plane I’ve been on for a non-international flight.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if there are any TV or movie examples of what it takes to get on a plane and fly somewhere for a normal person in 2020. If flying in a plane ever actually becomes less of a hassle (or more), what it means to be a plane passenger would be forgotten in the popular consciousness. Hell, watch enough TV now and you could forget until your next flight.

The indignities one has to suffer to fly is one of the reasons why I'm rabidly pro-train.

Give shinkansen every day.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Back in the day a lot of TV shows and movies had scenes at supermarkets where a shopper would be the millionth customer or whatever and win some huge prize. Was that ever an actual thing? I've never seen such a promotion or heard of anyone winning, but maybe it's before my time. The reference survives in scammy banner ads though!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Original_Z posted:

Back in the day a lot of TV shows and movies had scenes at supermarkets where a shopper would be the millionth customer or whatever and win some huge prize. Was that ever an actual thing? I've never seen such a promotion or heard of anyone winning, but maybe it's before my time. The reference survives in scammy banner ads though!

In about 1995 my uncle bought a car and it turned out to be the millionth car that dealership had sold. He got, as far as he can remember, free floor mats, a free pen, a free keyring and approximately 700 billion items of marketing material through the post over the next five years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lol that's a lovely prize. If you put out a promotion that said "millionth customer gets free car" instead of crap you'd probably sell a lot more and quickly at that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if there are any TV or movie examples of what it takes to get on a plane and fly somewhere for a normal person in 2020. If flying in a plane ever actually becomes less of a hassle (or more), what it means to be a plane passenger would be forgotten in the popular consciousness. Hell, watch enough TV now and you could forget until your next flight.

Planes Trains & Automobiles somehow managed to perfectly capture air travel in 2020 even though it was 1987.

What was a horrible travel day then is normal now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Planes Trains & Automobiles somehow managed to perfectly capture air travel in 2020 even though it was 1987.

What was a horrible travel day then is normal now.

That movie managed to perfectly capture that exhausted, exasperated feeling of a trip where nothing goes right. The last time I tried to rent a car I definitely couldn’t stop thinking of the “four wheels and a loving seat” scene.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Audiences will know what a radio is for a long time to come, but the aux cord has gone the way of the eight track.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Original_Z posted:

My parents were like the millionth tourists to visit some small town near (IIRC) Yosemite. They had a parade with them in it, but I don't remember free stuff. I should ask them and find out how spectacularly different each parents memory is.

Edit - They had been poor-student car-camping, driving to Yellowstone through Idaho, and they were pulled over by a cop. They were the 'millionth car' though some town, then ended up in a parade, got a night in a hotel, and a giant bag of potatoes. My mother was so happy about the real shower and bed.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 20, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Platystemon posted:

Audiences will know what a radio is for a long time to come, but the aux cord has gone the way of the eight track.

Man, I use aux cords all the time. In older cars, every hifi component if I wanna play off laptop or phone.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

You mean the thing I use almost every day in sound systems I can't / won't pair my phone to?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cascadia Pirate posted:

This book on the history of skyjacking was pretty eye opening to me. Hard to believe how lax security was, especially compared to post 9-11 world.
The Skies Belong to Us

Sky crime is serious business.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

VoIP also shits itself if an earthquake takes the power out, right?

Or you have the situation in Australia where the upgrade of the national broadband infrastructure to fibre optic cable was scuttled by the conservative party gaining power. Which leads to the situation where landlines are unavailable, you're supposed to use VOIP intead and your connection to the fibre optic node is 100 year old copper wire in a waterlogged ditch that's too poor to support VOIP.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Not that I like to be the person who constantly posts about Kevin Smith movies, but the scene in Chasing Amy where he totally charms the girl by knowing how to remove the child safety lever from the cigarette lighter only made sense for a really brief period in the 90s. I don't know if lighters even have those things, the decline in smoking made lighters less of an everyday issue.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

I don't know if lighters even have those things,

They did.
There was a lot of different kinds of child proofing when that was becoming a thing back then, some companies used laughable plastic bits like he rips off, some made the metal wheel so painful to use that a child wouldn't bother to try (nor would adults), and the most logical one still in use today is a metal strip bridging over the wheel that's too hard for little kids but easy for adults. And you need pliers or a knife to take it off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I loved those clear ones and i really wish I knew how to modify them so the flame would shoot a good 2.5 feet. I think it'd be really funny at (outdoor) concerts

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I used to be a master of de-childproofing lighters back in high school.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is the childproofing the little metal hoopy thing that sits over the wheel thingy? I knew a couple of people who would always insist on removing those, even from other people's lighters if they saw them, and I never understood why you'd bother.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tiggum posted:

Is the childproofing the little metal hoopy thing that sits over the wheel thingy? I knew a couple of people who would always insist on removing those, even from other people's lighters if they saw them, and I never understood why you'd bother.

Yeah. That thing on bic lighters, but there were other much slightly more complex methods of doing it on other lighters. When I was a teenager it was all about rebelling by smoking and de-child-proofing your lighters and I was the shiznit at it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This thread's going to be real good starting in about a year from now when (hopefully) society has gotten back on its feet. Already there are so many things we know aren't ever going to come back or, if they do, come back the same way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Wait, you used to have to go the liquor store to buy booze? They didn't deliver?"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Already there are so many things we know aren't ever going to come back or, if they do, come back the same way.

Do you have some examples of these two things?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

Do you have some examples of these two things?

I think big indoor concerts, packed bars and restaurants, etc. aren't going to be a thing for so long that society might adapt to other ways to provide that level of entertainment, to where even after a vaccine the old ways will be left behind. Even people shaking hands when they meet is going to seem strange.

Obviously it's all conjecture, we know society will change but we don't know how. But there's going to be a very clear break in media between pre and post pandemic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Media narratives have barely adapted to mobile phones with how often they contrive reasons they can't be used

e: or for example one reason you won't see a lot of face masks in media is that you need to see the actors emote.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 29, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I think big indoor concerts, packed bars and restaurants, etc. aren't going to be a thing for so long that society might adapt to other ways to provide that level of entertainment, to where even after a vaccine the old ways will be left behind. Even people shaking hands when they meet is going to seem strange.

Obviously it's all conjecture, we know society will change but we don't know how. But there's going to be a very clear break in media between pre and post pandemic.

I don’t see it.

I think there’s going to be enough pent up demand that once things like that are open again they’ll see business. Even if it’s reduced at the start, I don’t think out will take that long post-pandemic for people to begin seeking those activities out.

I can see things like movie theaters dying—but more because they can’t weather the shut down.

But folks are going to want to see Beyoncé in concert or go to music festivals. Same with restaurants and bars.

So much of this stuff will be less crowded/risky than activities like riding public transportation or going to school. If you’re willing to get on a bus or ride a plane, a bar isn’t going to feel that scary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think there will be some cultural changes particularly in other countries. For example, the custom in many countries of greeting anyone, including strangers, with kisses on the cheek? Probably in at least some places, that's going to stop forever.

I also think there's a tendency after a major crisis to think "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN" like on september 12, 2001; but really, mostly things will still be the same after. A lot of perspectives have shifted, so there will be changes in policy and law, and we'll be talking about this event for the rest of our lives, but: much like how people still got on airplanes in 2003, people will still go to public events in 2022.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somehow that comparison doesn't fill me with confidence considering the airport security horror stories of the past 20 years. If in 2025 shows are gonna feature security keeping folks apart like teachers at a 1950s prom or restaurants have plexiglass shields between diners like in prison I'm just gonna stay at home and die.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think there will be some cultural changes particularly in other countries. For example, the custom in many countries of greeting anyone, including strangers, with kisses on the cheek? Probably in at least some places, that's going to stop forever.

I also think there's a tendency after a major crisis to think "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN" like on september 12, 2001; but really, mostly things will still be the same after. A lot of perspectives have shifted, so there will be changes in policy and law, and we'll be talking about this event for the rest of our lives, but: much like how people still got on airplanes in 2003, people will still go to public events in 2022.

I wonder if the cheek kisses will even go away. They survived the Spanish Flu

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

Media narratives have barely adapted to mobile phones with how often they contrive reasons they can't be used

e: or for example one reason you won't see a lot of face masks in media is that you need to see the actors emote.

Hire cheaper actors and pocket the difference. Hire me, hollywood!

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 29, 2020

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LifeLynx posted:

I think big indoor concerts, packed bars and restaurants, etc. aren't going to be a thing for so long that society might adapt to other ways to provide that level of entertainment, to where even after a vaccine the old ways will be left behind.

What past examples suggest this for you? Polio went through north america seasonally for entire generations and public pools are still here. Spanish flu, same.
Again- a virus that killed or deformed children in waves for decades didn't change poo poo afterwards.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It depends how long this goes on and whether it disrupts younger generations. Older people will go right back to cheek kissing and violating personal spaces, but 12 year-olds who are developing lifelong habits might not.

Also a lot of stuff continues via sheer momentum. We go to the movie theater because that's how we see new movies. Have 6 months of no movie theaters and ticket sales are forever impacted even when things open up again. It'll accelerate trends that were already occurring.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Scudworth posted:

What past examples suggest this for you? Polio went through north america seasonally for entire generations and public pools are still here

Still around, yeah, but I'm not sure pool numbers have ever really recovered from the mass shutdowns following desegregation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Scudworth posted:

What past examples suggest this for you? Polio went through north america seasonally for entire generations and public pools are still here. Spanish flu, same.
Again- a virus that killed or deformed children in waves for decades didn't change poo poo afterwards.

American's dont care about dead kids is why

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Platystemon posted:

Nah, "passing the aux" became enough of a meme for it live on for at least the foreseeable future. Even when people get into my car they ask if they can "get the aux", even though my car is 100% Bluetooth and they know that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"I've got AUX!" is Zoomer for shotgun. Even more-so if you have Android Auto or Apple Carplay since that's almost always wired so you usually need to be in the front passenger seat.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Milo and POTUS posted:

American's dont care about dead kids is why

This didn't just occur in America, pools came back after the vaccine and polio eradication to the point where you'd never know this happened anywhere. Public pools were used afterwards no problem by people who saw their friends and siblings suffer or die. A couple years of covid isn't going to change bars or restaurants or concerts post-vaccine, that's not how people have ever worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Not gonna change the conceptual space of restaurants or bars I'd fully it admit. I don't think people are going to stop eating and drinking booze.

Any individual restaurant or bar is not in a great place now and this might have weird and unpredictable effects on how bars and restaurants are managed later, possibly? Now we're talking.

For example, spinning out a totally random toy example just for discussion not cause I think it's probable but enh I guess possible off the cuff : high-end restaurants have managed to hold on because of invested capital and sunk-costs, take-out places are still doing fine, but anything in the middle is some version of hosed over and this leads to long term changes that I couldn't even predict like, for instance, a total vacuum that can be filled and everyone clamors for it or a loving graveyard that no one touches.

I think the people saying "X won't exist" are being really silly but the people who say "X might get really weird" are possibly also being silly but exploring the unknown possibilities.

Maybe this ends in poo poo tons of takoyaki stands everywhere*, idk. I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet.

Btw never not gonna kiss my cousins on their cheeks. Hill I loving die on.

*This would own.