Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

FML. :(

Does this mean that the movie is gone forever, or simply on an indefinite hiatus? I ask this since it just feels really careless to not have had a digital copy of some kind that they could simply release.

I cannot imagine a studio sinking all the money into producing and marketing a movie and never releasing it. It'll come out, in some way, eventually.

My guess is the studios are figuring out what this all means for scheduling, how to pace out releases without getting lost in the shuffle or overshadowed by other releases (or if we're all so desperate for content, especially for kids, they can release whatever whenever and parents will buy all of it). Some studios are probably just gonna lie low and wait for the theaters to come back, some are wondering if the theaters will come back, and some of the more sociopathic execs are probably debating whether they should try to lobby to get the theaters to open up ASAP and risk the media black eye if their movie causes a second wave coronavirus breakout and kills a couple thousand children. But nobody really knows what's going on, or what anyone's doing, so it's all crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Macaluso posted:

GOOD. I hope this starts a trend. Release all movies straight to streaming services so I never have to go to the movie theater again

I mean, I actually LIKE going to the movie theaters so if we can have both that would be awesome, but it's a hard pass from me if it's just one or the other.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1251224632147021828

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I’ll always love his Tom and Jerry shorts. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PenguinKnight posted:

I’ll always love his Tom and Jerry shorts. :(

Seriously, they're wonderful. Dicky Moe is probably my favorite T&J cartoon overall.

(There's a DVD with all of them fully restored, looking and sounding fantastic)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I’ll have to get a copy of the dvd then because Dickie Moe is definitely in the top for me!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
(Trolls World Tour)

Pick posted:

Slightly more unexpected is that it's essentially a completely different... story? than Trolls. No, I'm trying to think of how to phrase this. Like, more than not really relating back to the first movie, it's almost like the characters in a parallel world?

To be honest, this freed the story crew up a lot (good) but I was a bit surprised to see they didn't even lampshade that the Bergens aren't there. They're just not! Or any references to troll-eating. Like, a lot of the key components to the first film's theme aren't there or even explained away. It's just a different Trolls. Why is Branch back to his muted colors? gently caress you that's why!

The Bergens do get a mid credit scene lampshading their absence but it's obvious the studio really wanted this to be standalone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the idea with quite a few franchise movies like Hellboy and maybe Smurfs that the first movie is full of concessions to get by the suits and the second movie is the one they really wanted to make.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the idea with quite a few franchise movies like Hellboy and maybe Smurfs that the first movie is full of concessions to get by the suits and the second movie is the one they really wanted to make.

Trolls 1 and 2 feels a bit like this, but reversed.

I enjoyed them both, but the first movie does feel less meddled with.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't think Trolls 2 feels "meddled" with, outside of the weird inclusion of that random Troll from I guess the TV show or whatever she's from. I think it's more Trolls 2 feels like a movie Justin Timberlake wanted to make specifically, because it's so much more about music than the first one. Though seeing some of the animators talk about it on twitter, it seems like they had a blast doing Trolls 2 and visually it's certainly a step up from the first one (which already looked incredible)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So, Onward is a pretty solid little movie in the vein of other "fantasy meets real life" movies from the '80s and '90s. Not something I'll remember for the rest of my life, but pretty enjoyable.

It does have one, and only one, thing in common with The Good Dinosaur: an overexplained "What If" setting that ends up not really feeling necessary. Very little about the story would've changed if the characters were just humans who were aware of D&D stuff and then found out it was real. A little less original I guess, but if they're not really gonna do anything with the unique setting other than some background gags... This seems to be a pattern, as I know TGD was originally going to be this whole "what if dinosaurs but suburban" thing. Someone keeps having that idea and it never really works out.

E: Also, this really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the movie, but I do have to wonder if Jack Black was ever in consideration to play Barley. Because the most succinct description of the character is just "Jack Black"

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 19, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Trolls 1 and 2 feels a bit like this, but reversed.

I enjoyed them both, but the first movie does feel less meddled with.

I keep on thinking Troll 2, and vaguely recall that doesn't actually have any connection to Troll.

But I think the other way around is probably even more common; the first movie is the original idea while the sequel is design by committee because they already used the good ideas and the original creators are usually checked out.

Macaluso posted:

I don't think Trolls 2 feels "meddled" with, outside of the weird inclusion of that random Troll from I guess the TV show or whatever she's from. I think it's more Trolls 2 feels like a movie Justin Timberlake wanted to make specifically, because it's so much more about music than the first one. Though seeing some of the animators talk about it on twitter, it seems like they had a blast doing Trolls 2 and visually it's certainly a step up from the first one (which already looked incredible)

I did get the impression that if it wasn't basically a variety musical, it probably should have been. Also the evil rock n roll trolls made me think Brutal Legend.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PenguinKnight posted:

I’ll have to get a copy of the dvd then because Dickie Moe is definitely in the top for me!

Here's some caps from the DVD. It has an interview with Deitch and another with historian Jerry Beck, I think. Only $9 on Amazon right now.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Looking great! I’ve gone and ordered it :D

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I have one wish for it's animation it's that we no longer witness the fat comic-relief character voiced by James Corden. Bustopher Jones my rear end.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Seriously, they're wonderful. Dicky Moe is probably my favorite T&J cartoon overall.

(There's a DVD with all of them fully restored, looking and sounding fantastic)

What's the name of the DVD?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So, apparently Pendleton Ward has been working on something called The Midnight Gospel, and it looks like... something all right

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1252020386587238400?s=19

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's the name of the DVD?

it’s Tom and Jerry Gene Deitch Collection

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Does anybody have the Tex Avery screwball classics Vol 1 Blu-ray who would be willing to share their thoughts on it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So in Frozen 2 when Elsa makes Olaf again at the end is that a new Olaf? And Olaf prime really did just die in that cave?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shaocaholica posted:

So in Frozen 2 when Elsa makes Olaf again at the end is that a new Olaf? And Olaf prime really did just die in that cave?

Olaf the above

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does anybody have the Tex Avery screwball classics Vol 1 Blu-ray who would be willing to share their thoughts on it?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 20, 2020

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Olaf in the cave is destroyed and his molecules will be redistributed throughout the oceans of the world. He grows only more powerful the more spread out he is. Following the established principle of ridiculus ridiculi insanimus, Frozen 10C will consist of nothing but images of Olaf looping while someone holds a single note for the entirety of the movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For Frozen 2 it is established that water is a memory storage medium so while it is not the same water used to build Olaf, there is effectively a continuity of consciousness so yes, your lovable pal Olaf remembers dying and can never suppress the memory of it.

YggiDee posted:

So, apparently Pendleton Ward has been working on something called The Midnight Gospel, and it looks like... something all right

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1252020386587238400?s=19

This looks like the exact thing I dont want to watch, and I say this as a huge fan of Cat Soup

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

SEE, DISNEY????????? It’s not so fuckin hard to NOT ruin your film restoration :argh:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

SEE, DISNEY????????? It’s not so fuckin hard to NOT ruin your film restoration :argh:

Disney might be going away from the overdone look. Disney+ has The Sword in the Stone in 4K Dolby Vision and it looks spectacular. Actually has film grain and the color pops like 60s Technicolor. Looks exactly like the sort of remastering Warner has been doing for Blu-ray.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Olaf is the Dr Manhattan of snowmen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neon Noodle posted:

It's very weird how they deal with their properties. Simpsons definitely looks like it was run through an SNES upscaler. Just tons of ruined and smeary fields of color.

Some of their other cartoons look the same, while a Donald Duck short will actually get a little love. It's so random.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

It's very weird how they deal with their properties. Simpsons definitely looks like it was run through an SNES upscaler. Just tons of ruined and smeary fields of color.

Some of their other cartoons look the same, while a Donald Duck short will actually get a little love. It's so random.

That was done by Fox prior to the Disney sale. I think some of the early seasons were remastered by Reliance Mediaworks, while the rest of the pre-HD seasons were not.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

For Frozen 2 it is established that water is a memory storage medium so while it is not the same water used to build Olaf, there is effectively a continuity of consciousness so yes, your lovable pal Olaf remembers dying and can never suppress the memory of it.

This looks like the exact thing I dont want to watch, and I say this as a huge fan of Cat Soup

Even the living Olaf in Frozen 1 isn't the original Olaf; that was actually the snowman in the snowman building song. But for me, that raises an existential question. Olaf is only shown to remember events that Elsa and Anna have witnessed. Is Olaf, then, just based on Elsa and Anna's memories? Would Olaf in Frozen 2 remember his Frozen Adventure during Christmas? Would he remember Sora, Donald, and Goofy repairing him? And if he does lack this interiority, is he truly a person?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's basically a server room and he gets rebooted sometimes for maintenance

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

pospysyl posted:

Even the living Olaf in Frozen 1 isn't the original Olaf; that was actually the snowman in the snowman building song. But for me, that raises an existential question. Olaf is only shown to remember events that Elsa and Anna have witnessed. Is Olaf, then, just based on Elsa and Anna's memories? Would Olaf in Frozen 2 remember his Frozen Adventure during Christmas? Would he remember Sora, Donald, and Goofy repairing him? And if he does lack this interiority, is he truly a person?

I look forward to Olaf discussing these questions directly to the audience in the sequel.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

It's weird, Disney+ has probably the best looking Adventures of Winnie the pooh restoration, meanwhile their ducktales and darkwing look like they were just reuses from the DVD

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

pospysyl posted:

Would he remember Sora, Donald, and Goofy repairing him?

I just now realized that the bizarre princess meta scenes in Wreck it Ralph 2 were the only chance Disney had to reference Kingdom Hearts and they just let that slip by.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Think of Olaf as a local instance with the ocean acting as his backup server. Since Elsa can manipulate water, she probably routinely clears out unused bits of local Olaf to keep him running smooth on his smaller capacity memory format and ports them back to the sea. So at any given time there is at least two olafs but for brief moments when water goes through the entire cycle they are the same person.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

I just now realized that the bizarre princess meta scenes in Wreck it Ralph 2 were the only chance Disney had to reference Kingdom Hearts and they just let that slip by.

That's probably just as well.

Barudak posted:

Think of Olaf as a local instance with the ocean acting as his backup server. Since Elsa can manipulate water, she probably routinely clears out unused bits of local Olaf to keep him running smooth on his smaller capacity memory format and ports them back to the sea. So at any given time there is at least two olafs but for brief moments when water goes through the entire cycle they are the same person.

So is the sea basically The Great Link but for snowmen

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Did he get backed up periodically to the cloud?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also does this make Frosty's hat his backup memory

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Olaf really should shout "Happy Birthday!" every time he reconstitutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of The Simpsons on Disney+, are they ever going to fix the aspect ratio for the 4:3 episodes? I thought the official word was that it was happening this year, which I guess is still possible but they don't seem to be in a loving hurry.