Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't call Catarina dumb, but she is EXTREMELY dense and never realizes how much things have derailed from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nice touch making Sophia's skin tone a bit pinker than everyone else's.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

yuri route get

Did last week not count?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's the thing about Katarina: She's not traditionally "dumb" and can actually apply herself when it comes to things that are at the very least relevant to her goals. But she has the social graces of a high-school-aged dork that likes VN's. Basically I'd compare her to something like, say, a survival horror protag getting transplanted to a silly harem romcom series. She sticks out like a sore thumb.

Fangz posted:

From this episode, I see why this series is called Bakarina
And I wouldn't have it any other way! :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Her internal monologue repeatedly becoming external is pretty great

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

That's the thing about Katarina: She's not traditionally "dumb" and can actually apply herself when it comes to things that are at the very least relevant to her goals. But she has the social graces of a high-school-aged dork that likes VN's. Basically I'd compare her to something like, say, a survival horror protag getting transplanted to a silly harem romcom series. She sticks out like a sore thumb.

Or perhaps an action movie protagonist put in a high school comedy?

The difference, I think, is that we don't see, for lack of better words, circumstances where she succeeds or fails. She doesn't see what's actually going on, but she also doesn't screw up badly enough to make a disaster that would force her to realize her assumptions were insane.

It means that, where other similar examples go "Ohhh, you aren't supposed to use flashbang grenades during dodgeball games.", Katarina continues to think that toy snakes solve every problem.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also she's monomaniacally focused on averting the events of the game, to the point where she can't actually process anything in its own context instead of trying to game out how it could lead to one of the bad endings from the game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Or perhaps an action movie protagonist put in a high school comedy?
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu/the Side Story Novels for FMP! were so fun. :3:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's like she got the sports almanac from Back to the Future and is trying to use it to bet in 2020 football.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

She's so obsessed with the game that she doesn't realize the plot went screaming off the rails the moment she hit her head.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
She's Keima, only she has no knowledge of her extreme ability to capture targets man or woman.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The whole thing really wouldn't work if everyone around her didn't know that she's dumb as hell.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy crap, this got an anime? :haw: Looks like I have a new anime to watch, even though I've p. much read all the manga already (never really was one for LNs). How many seasons is this gonna be?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Holy crap, this got an anime? :haw: Looks like I have a new anime to watch, even though I've p. much read all the manga already (never really was one for LNs). How many seasons is this gonna be?

Believe just one cour. At the rate we're going, it's not hard for me to see it reaching a pretty nice stopping point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems like there's also a sort of humility to it — the main thing Catarina doesn't get is how much power she has to change other people's circumstances, so that most of the characters have already become better people (or at least significantly less awful) without her realizing it. Hell, she fixed her parent's marriage by accident.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have it on high authority that it was the "Death by Butt" incident that sealed the deal. :colbert:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Catarina is a very nice and earnest person and despite being dense on relationships she's not dumb either so makes for a very charming lead

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, she's not dumb (although her thought processes aren't exactly normal either), but she is superhumanly oblivious.

I like stories about good-natured idiots doing funny things, so this franchise is my jam.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ThingOne posted:

She's so obsessed with the game that she doesn't realize the plot went screaming off the rails the moment she hit her head.

She's like a benign version of the "canon-obsessed heroine-as-villainess" characters who have become more common lately, who expect all the men to love them just like in the game and can't fathom that anything else could occur.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

She's like a benign version of the "canon-obsessed heroine-as-villainess" characters who have become more common lately, who expect all the men to love them just like in the game and can't fathom that anything else could occur.

It's kind of the inverse - she expects all the men to love someone else (the "actual" heroine of Fortune Lover) to the point of killing/exiling/bad-end'ing her.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Hell, she fixed her parent's marriage by accident.

So the anime kind of glossed over it and the manga doesn't really say. I guess it's only in the LN? What did she actually do there?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Agronox posted:

So the anime kind of glossed over it and the manga doesn't really say. I guess it's only in the LN? What did she actually do there?

By making a fuss about Keith, she brought out into the open the fact that [Motherina] believed that Keith was [Fatherina]'s illegitimate son and that [Fatherina] was deliberately humiliating [Motherina] by bringing his bastard into the house to raise as an "adopted" child.

Once this issue got openly raised it was all sorted out and resulted in everybody concerned having a much happier life (particularly Keith).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
After/as part of the Butt Death incident off screen, her mother was all like 'Catarina hurt my husband's precious love child, I'll take the blame for this child and leave' because she thought Keith was a bastard child by him. This sparks them clearing up that misunderstanding.
It's part of a single panel in the manga, so I doubt there's much there in the LN.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Without having read the LNs, the anime and manga both confirm that in Fortune Lover, Keith's adopted mother and sister despise him, thinking him a lovechild.

When she kills him with her butt, her fiance comes over and says that her parents are super lovey-dovey because their mother called Keith "your lovechild" and their father corrected her misconception.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://twitter.com/Fate_Trashpanda/status/1251742391528292352

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The spinoff manga is real good but also probably shouldn't be talked about in here since the point in time it starts is like several episodes away (and starts pretty in media res since it somewhat presumes you're already reading OG Bakarina)

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
The LN does go into a bit of detail about the parents' relationship, though it's pretty much what you'd get from context. Basically Motherina was convinced that Fatherina (I enjoy these names and thus will immediately steal them) didn't care for her and that theirs was only a political marriage, and Fatherina was convinced that Motherina hated him because he rushed their engagement after falling in love at first sight. True to the Bakarina name, they remained absolutely sure they knew what the other person was feeling for years until a third party forced them to actually talk about it, after which they became disgustingly lovey-dovey.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I saw the anime, immediately fell in love and got a BookWalker account and bought all the light novels of this series I could. Never have I been so gripped by a series and I’ve enjoyed every moment of it.

Fenrisulfr posted:

The LN does go into a bit of detail about the parents' relationship, though it's pretty much what you'd get from context. Basically Motherina was convinced that Fatherina (I enjoy these names and thus will immediately steal them) didn't care for her and that theirs was only a political marriage, and Fatherina was convinced that Motherina hated him because he rushed their engagement after falling in love at first sight. True to the Bakarina name, they remained absolutely sure they knew what the other person was feeling for years until a third party forced them to actually talk about it, after which they became disgustingly lovey-dovey.

To expand on this, after Katarina falls on Keith when she was climbing the tree. After dinner that day, Motherina summons her, Keith and Fatherina into her room and then asks a divorce from Fatherina, feeling ashamed about Katarina’s troublemaker tendencies and wishing him to marry Keith’s non-existent mother so that he could find true happiness. She even tries to get Katarina to pack her things and leave the estate with her before Fatherina clears up the misunderstanding.

While I am sad that this was glossed over because the whole scenario is pretty hilarious in and of itself, I can understand the need to trim the storyline in order to focus on the important things.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks for expanding on that everyone. Glad to see that "complete obliviousness to others' feelings" runs in the family.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I've only just started reading the LN's but you can also take some subtext: Katarina's mother is very strict, and in the original Fortune Lover game storyline Keith locked himself away after the golem incident w/ Katarina, so odds are he got a fair amount of scorn from Katarina and/or Motherina in that "timeline" for hurting the "legitimate child" of the house.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 20, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Agronox posted:

Thanks for expanding on that everyone. Glad to see that "complete obliviousness to others' feelings" runs in the family.

To be honest, this is basically this anime in a nutshell.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
My favorite part of the episode:

Also, Geordo coming in hot at the party :stare:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

He ain't the two faced sadistic prince character for nothing.

I presume in Fortune Lover's route setup he was the "main"/"canon" route with Alan/Keith/Nicolas being the B routes

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Sure, Monkey Girl taking Katarina's place has cleared up a boatload of personal issues for her friends, but Keith is now a possessive siscon, so who knows whether or not it's a good thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any brother-related shenanigans have one quick resolution. We all know this. :colbert:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Supersonic Shine posted:

Sure, Monkey Girl taking Katarina's place has cleared up a boatload of personal issues for her friends, but Keith is now a possessive siscon, so who knows whether or not it's a good thing.

She still is Katarina, with a bunch of extra memories. There's not a Bookworm situation here.

Which means the original game version of Katarina was also this dense.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but she was also self-absorbed to the extent she became a bully. While this version is nice to a fault.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but she was also self-absorbed to the extent she became a bully. While this version is nice to a fault.

The spinoff manga where she gets her previous life's memories when she's older shows that game!Katarina was basically the same person in terms of being nice and extremely dense. It's just that isekai!Katarina now has the added context of 17+ years of life in a different world tempering her actions, and more importantly, essentially photographic memory of how the lives of the people closest to her would've gone.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I like to think that realizing she only had liiiike seven years to shape up or she was gonna die/get exiled caused a big change, plus the extra memories.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yeah maybe it's from reading too many self insert fanfics but I really like how Catarina consistently contextualises it as 'I got memories of a past life in Japan' rather than 'I got reincarnated in a magical fantasy world'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Y'know going into this series I was concerned there'd be some dumb bit where the 'real' mean Katarina pops up and tries to make everything how it 'should' be, but so far they've dodged that bullet super well.