Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Far Cry 2 is one of those video games that goons exhort that make me just go "meh!" I think it's largely because I'd played a lot of STALKER before hand, which does a lot of similar things only better and more in-depth. I did appreciate FC2's commitment to its first-person perspective, its misfiring crapguns, and its fire tech was a fun novelty but I've never wanted to replay it and actually prefer FC3 and 4, gamey as they are.

I can respect that position but as we get further out from STALKER being current - for whatever that's worth they were kind of always a eurojank trash fire in ways - I think STALKER is kind of a chore to play in a way that isn't fun, while FC2 is a chore to play in way that is purposeful and at least invests you in the pseudo-simulation it's got going on. Like pretty much all my FC2 reinstalls I will likely bumrush the second map, play it for fifteen minutes and next time I play it will be in three more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
STALKER will never not be current :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Let's not get political. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I really liked STALKER and I thought FC2 was just a mess that wasn't really enjoyable at all, so that it's being purposefully bad where it's bad isn't necessarily what I'd call a strong argument.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

In my experience, FC2 versus FC3 tends to be one of those things where if you really liked one of them, you probably won't like the other.

Ehhh, I like both. They're VERY different experiences, though, it's like comparing apples to oranges - they're both fruits but they're doing totally different things.

(that said, 4 is better than 3)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wasn't arguing that it was bad on purpose, those parts are good, other than the checkpoints. I have fun playing FC2 but it is definitely an investment in like, it's own bullshit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The secret to having fun with Far Cry 2 is to get a mod that allows infinite stamina, which gets rid of the malaria mechanic and lets you focus on having fun. It's the only thing about the game I don't like, honestly. Aside from that - yes, I even enjoy the checkpoints from hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I also do not have any problems with the checkpoints but that is something people just cannot handle as an opinion.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ragequit posted:

Rad, I had not heard of their latest game. I played Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics and had a blast.
I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth looking into Alvora Tactics. I enjoyed the combat of Horizon's Gate but the world map and exploration just felt like pointless busywork, since basically every location is the same. Is Alvora much more combat-focused?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

I wasn't arguing that it was bad on purpose, those parts are good, other than the checkpoints. I have fun playing FC2 but it is definitely an investment in like, it's own bullshit.

For sure. I would never say Far Cry 2 was being bad on purpose. There are times where it’s very much being not fun on purpose, but even when it’s doing that it’s very well made and acts in service to what it does really well. It’s a certain kind of experience you don’t find in games often, and it actually makes you feel kind of bad sometimes in ways hamfisted “we’re the same!” monologues can’t.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth looking into Alvora Tactics. I enjoyed the combat of Horizon's Gate but the world map and exploration just felt like pointless busywork, since basically every location is the same. Is Alvora much more combat-focused?

Alvora is just basically a procgen dungeon (with maybe some designed parts?). I enjoyed it, but I enjoy all of RC's games. You may want to wait a while if you just recently played Horizon's Gate, since I imagine the games can be a bit samey.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
FC2 was very much a "first game in a Ubisoft series" type of game, for better or worse. Pretty much all of their modern games franchises start with a bare-bones first entry based around a single gameplay concept that the sequels then expand on but simultaneously homogenize.

Oh yeah, another thing in FC2's favour were its gnaryl healing animations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XYJrUnoeY

E: I hated the checkpoints, felt they were annoying, too-frequent, and artificial but conversely I thought the malaria was a real non-issue.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dave Angel posted:

Checking my Humble library, looks like I've got a spare Steam key for it. Do you have some way you'd like me to send it to you?

Wow! That'd be super generous. If you want, you can just mail it to my throwaway address. I don't have PM, but this'll do. :D

charravelli at gmx.net

Thanks a bunch!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm back with another dive into the current Weeklong Deals, where Eastshade and Unforgiving are the big draws but there's plenty more if you're down for some platforming. Check out my the full list here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I enjoyed the combat of Horizon's Gate but the world map and exploration just felt like pointless busywork, since basically every location is the same.
Aw hell, that's what I bought it for. Any other games that focus on exploration, uncovering the unknown, going where no one went before and aren't survival?

(The only survival game I ever enjoyed was Subnautica, for exactly that reason. Also the option to turn off hunger/thirst.)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Mordja posted:

FC2 was very much a "first game in a Ubisoft series" type of game, for better or worse. Pretty much all of their modern games franchises start with a bare-bones first entry based around a single gameplay concept that the sequels then expand on but simultaneously homogenize.

Oh yeah, another thing in FC2's favour were its gnaryl healing animations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XYJrUnoeY

E: I hated the checkpoints, felt they were annoying, too-frequent, and artificial but conversely I thought the malaria was a real non-issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I haven't played Horizon's, but I assume so. Alvora Tactics is a procedural dungeon-crawler. You hit up a hub for shopping, quests, training, recruiting, etc. then head back in to the mystery dungeon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordja posted:

Far Cry 2 is one of those video games that goons exhort that make me just go "meh!" I think it's largely because I'd played a lot of STALKER before hand, which does a lot of similar things only better and more in-depth. I did appreciate FC2's commitment to its first-person perspective, its misfiring crapguns, and its fire tech was a fun novelty but I've never wanted to replay it and actually prefer FC3 and 4, gamey as they are.
It's the biggest broke brained goon hivemind example. FC2 has the same message as every other main FC title after 1, but is a lot more blunt about and shitloads negatively fun to play.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're right I've never actually enjoyed it I just think I do because group think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hey, no need to go here. It is cool to like [game] even if other people do not like [game].

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

if 2 of the remaining people on this dead gay forum happen to share the same opinion it looks like a hivemind

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Remember that weird Far Cry 2 revisionism from like two years ago? Bunch of game sites and randoms, all close together, publishing articles about "Actually Far Cry 2 was brilliant".

That was weird.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Age of Wonders Planetfall: oh hey, by focusing on combat so hard, I might be able to get out of my usual Civilization problem where I go all-in on research and then forget how to defend myself and the AI steamrolls me. And it seems like it has a working AI instead of Endless Legends' brain-dead ones, so I can get more mileage out of it! Awesome!

Also shoutout to GrandpaPants for sending me useful information!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Det_no posted:

Remember that weird Far Cry 2 revisionism from like two years ago? Bunch of game sites and randoms, all close together, publishing articles about "Actually Far Cry 2 was brilliant".

That was weird.

When Idle Thumbs died someone new had to tell people about Far Cry 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I watched a 20-minute video about how Far Cry 2 was better because coconuts fall from the trees when you shoot them and now I'm convinced, this is the most important thing in a video game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I always loved FC2 but I cannot recommend anyone play it at this point. It's definitely one of those games that's been left behind. The shooting was good and it looked good and tried some interesting/entertaining things mechanically, and it came out in a world where open world games (especially of the shooter variety) were much less common and much less complex. I think it's a good and interesting game that stood up pretty well in 2008, but at this point it's been left well behind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

I always loved FC2 but I cannot recommend anyone play it at this point. It's definitely one of those games that's been left behind. The shooting was good and it looked good and tried some interesting/entertaining things mechanically, and it came out in a world where open world games (especially of the shooter variety) were much less common and much less complex. I think it's a good and interesting game that stood up pretty well in 2008, but at this point it's been left well behind.

Oh come on, this doesn't work.

- If a game is old, it's still worth looking at, to see what it does differently from modern ones. The original Doom is a prime example for this kind of examination.
- Old games =/= bad games. You can have fun with them!
- Far Cry 2's plot and atmosphere haven't been done anywhere else in the FPS genre as far as I know - the concept of being a foreign mercenary who is essentially powerless despite doing your work, and how wars are destructive and cyclical - not many games go for that kind of nihilism and pull it off without being stupid pretentious about it.
- No one has done the "light blinks more the closer you get to the diamond" mechanic which I loved a lot. Simple but it added fun to finding the loot.

Like, if you're at all interested in any of this, or in open world shooters, it gets cheap and it's fun to play.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

One thing that really stands out about FC2 still is the effort it goes to for immersion, not just with weapons jamming and the whole (admittedly tedious) malaria thing but also just in how you interact with your map. The later FC games ran away from this with mixed results; they're definitely more user-friendly but also feel much more video-gamey.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Far Cry 2 is so polarizing because it does some things so well (the physicalized map, the overall story arc even though the storytelling is awful, some of the unique missions, the best extra life system in any game ever, weapon degradation, some of the animations) and other things horribly (AI that doesn't support restealthing, loads of repetitive filler missions, much of the world being too samey, incredibly repetitive and boring collectibles that are required to unlock the guns). IDK if it's worth going back and playing, I know when I tried to play it a second time I couldn't, but it does deserve to be remembered for some things that I wish would show up again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

anilEhilated posted:

Aw hell, that's what I bought it for. Any other games that focus on exploration, uncovering the unknown, going where no one went before and aren't survival?

(The only survival game I ever enjoyed was Subnautica, for exactly that reason. Also the option to turn off hunger/thirst.)

The Outer Wilds is currently my top pick for this category, and several others as well. Don't remember when it's coming to Steam but should be soon enough.

edit: technically someone went before to most of the places you visit but still

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

God I keep putting it off because I don't want infinite cutscenes but I promised to kill the Crocodile

e: SHADYA!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 20, 2020

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Age of Wonders Planetfall: oh hey, by focusing on combat so hard, I might be able to get out of my usual Civilization problem where I go all-in on research and then forget how to defend myself and the AI steamrolls me. And it seems like it has a working AI instead of Endless Legends' brain-dead ones, so I can get more mileage out of it! Awesome!

Also shoutout to GrandpaPants for sending me useful information!

We have a planetfall thread full of old hat Triumph fans that will drop a ton of useful info about the game as soon as a newbie wanders in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857341

Have fun!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

- If a game is old, it's still worth looking at, to see what it does differently from modern ones. The original Doom is a prime example for this kind of examination.
You can, but if you're used to modern conveniences and advances in technology and game design, certain decisions can seem dated and often are simply superseded by later approaches, and not necessarily without reason. Compare it to how movies after the silent movie era had actors who incredibly overacted everything, because that's just how you had to act in silent movies to convey emotions that the absence of intonation and verbal expression meant you otherwise couldn't.

This applies less to games like Far Cry 2, because it's honestly very recent compared to how long games have been around at this point, but older games often made bad decisions simply because the people making didn't know any better, and neither did the players.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

You can, but if you're used to modern conveniences and advances in technology and game design, certain decisions can seem dated and often are simply superseded by later approaches, and not necessarily without reason. Compare it to how movies after the silent movie era had actors who incredibly overacted everything, because that's just how you had to act in silent movies to convey emotions that the absence of intonation and verbal expression meant you otherwise couldn't.

This applies less to games like Far Cry 2, because it's honestly very recent compared to how long games have been around at this point, but older games often made bad decisions simply because the people making didn't know any better, and neither did the players.

Alright your analogy privileges are revoked.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 a lot just a couple years ago, although I did turn off weapon durability.

It's more fun when you treat the whole thing as a series of objectives, not as a pure open world game. Deciding you're just going to go from point A to point B and then focusing in on that, rather than just going around randomly looking for stuff to do. I can see why a lot of people bounce off of it because it doesn't have the same sort of free-wheeling tone as the later FC games (or other Ubisoft open world games).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh come on, this doesn't work.

- Far Cry 2's plot and atmosphere haven't been done anywhere else in the FPS genre as far as I know - the concept of being a foreign mercenary who is essentially powerless despite doing your work, and how wars are destructive and cyclical - not many games go for that kind of nihilism and pull it off without being stupid pretentious about it.
- No one has done the "light blinks more the closer you get to the diamond" mechanic which I loved a lot. Simple but it added fun to finding the loot.

Like, if you're at all interested in any of this, or in open world shooters, it gets cheap and it's fun to play.

Okay, I was probably a little strong in saying I can't recommend it. I don't think it's bad and it's definitely very interesting, so if you like the sound of it and can deal with its dated features then it's definitely something you should play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

We have a planetfall thread full of old hat Triumph fans that will drop a ton of useful info about the game as soon as a newbie wanders in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857341

Have fun!

Perfect, I'll resume getting into Age of Wonders once I finish up being stuck in the modern world. I don't care about Abstergo, Ubisoft! I care about Bayek!

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, you're talking to someone who plays X-COM. Not even the advances of OpenXCOM Extended can modernize that UI. But that's part of the experience! It's fascinating to see what people thought was good UI, and good design. And assuming I'm reccing to someone who is interested in games beyond the latest AAA titles, then by all means I am going to tell them to play older games that are clunkier, or weird to modern eyes. (And I think it's safe to assume that almost everyone in this thread is open to older games.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oh my god it's a stealth sequence and if you don't assassinate the soldiers you die

i hate you asscreed give me bayek back

e: oh it's short thank god

e2: Yeah, okay, wow. The walkthrough mentioned a bunch of cutscenes but they were all pretty dang short and the real world segment was less than 2-3 minutes and voila, I'm free. The Crocodile is dead, the plot is advanced, and later I will resume exploring egypt. I am less interested in the main plot than ever, but Bayek is the best and it's a very pretty game.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, you're talking to someone who plays X-COM. Not even the advances of OpenXCOM Extended can modernize that UI. But that's part of the experience! It's fascinating to see what people thought was good UI, and good design. And assuming I'm reccing to someone who is interested in games beyond the latest AAA titles, then by all means I am going to tell them to play older games that are clunkier, or weird to modern eyes. (And I think it's safe to assume that almost everyone in this thread is open to older games.)
I mean, I'm not saying it's not an interesting experience in its own right, but it's still worth remembering that there's often a good reason why thinks aren't done that way anymore. "It has been left behind by the times" is not always a wrong position to have, because often enough, the earliest examples of a particular kind of game are also the roughest and most clumsy. They're important and noteworthy because they did it first, but not because they did it best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The "learn French/Italian/Korean" version of Influent is now free while people are stuck at home. Doesn't look like it's free to own permanently, but could be a nice gentle introduction if you're interested in picking up words for any of those languages!

E: Sounds like it's less of a "learn _____" tool, and more vocabulary building.