Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pointsofdata posted:

seems pretty high risk as, despite being true in the way it is intended, the obvious retort is that an internet which can't load youtube isn't better

but you’re unable to load youtube really fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

but you’re unable to load youtube really fast

is it also fast in some 3rd tier city like lhasa or something? like are buddhist monks getting blazing fast tiktok speeds while losers in pittsburgh are waiting for their local monopoly to stream it frame by frame?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

idk exactly but from what i have seen it’s mostly dependent on when the building was constructed. so even in a crap city you might still be getting fiber to the home if you live in a newer apartment building. older apartments will mostly be adsl or sometimes weird things like where they snake and ethernet cable in through a window and who knows how that’s connected

there’s a lot of new construction in china though so probably a lot of urban residents have p deece connections, and lte coverage is pretty good even in 3rd tier cities

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

good dog.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
the government reopened parks today, meaning i can go for a walk without risking a fuckoff huge fine :toot:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jonny with the vanilla ice deep cuts

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRX9xmowlo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at the dog being the one that isnt eternally eager to please its master. As if cats give a single gently caress about number. that take is bad and wrong. Dogs are cute but would gladly send you back into the salt mines if it meant they got one (1) pat on the head

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh good I get to spend the first half of my day today on training! wohoo!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
someone put entirely too much time into the graphics for this course

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

i live in china.

thats not very patriotic of u

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
fart simpson is a cultural ambassador

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

thats not very patriotic of u

maybe they're in Taiwan

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
love my work wildlife training reminding me about protected species

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

are we on the list yet?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
nah still mostly just frogs and poo poo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lancemantis posted:

maybe they're in Taiwan

i believe you mean Chinese Taipei

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yes my mistake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

lol at the dog being the one that isnt eternally eager to please its master. As if cats give a single gently caress about number. that take is bad and wrong. Dogs are cute but would gladly send you back into the salt mines if it meant they got one (1) pat on the head

that's not the joke being made. dogs have been happy as hell because their owners are home all the time. meanwhile lots of cat owners have been talking about how pissed their cats are now that the humans are always around

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

if i've noticed anything, it's that my cats sleep about 16-20 hours a day and dgaf

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of my cats is very needy and likes to nap under my feet so I trip over them whenever I get up from my desk

the other one likes to sing songs until I speak back sometimes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
omg there's so much lawyer-ese in some of this poo poo I hate it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
cat thread invasion

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The price of oil is literally negative right now, I didn't even know that was possible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

i believe you mean Chinese Taipei

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
idk if you wander over to one of the Taiwan-stan threads in cspam or wherever you’d think they never had it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

The price of oil is literally negative right now, I didn't even know that was possible

i will take ummm like 20 barrels maybe? i think i can fit that in my back yard and i could use the 20 bucks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://media.giphy.com/media/8vnaPLlNLiTn9P5IZn/giphy.mp4

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I heard someone on bbc maybe or somewhere else crooning on how this is a great example of liberal economics and The Markets because you see now the Price Signal is indicating value in taking away the oil and etc etc

~beautiful illustrations of my ghoul engine of which I ignore all Real consequences~

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i keep hearing that all the restaurants are going to go under without more government support, even the nice ones, because they run on such thin margins that any significant period of not operating at 100% is a death sentence. i don't understand why this is the case though. like, the primary expenses of running a restaurant are rent, food costs, and labor costs, right? if you are not open then only rent is left, and the landlord will have a hard time finding another restaurant tenant right now, so they should be willing to work with you. so why are they getting hit so hard? do restaurants categorically just not keep cash in the bank? are they so levered up with debt that any disturbance brings the whole house of cards tumbling down?

or could it be that restaurant owners, like all small business owners, are complaining to try to get a bailout because they are Pieces Of poo poo and i shouldn't listen to anything they say?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
number go down

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if you are not open then only rent is left, and the landlord will have a hard time finding another restaurant tenant right now, so they should be willing to work with you.

lol. lmbo. rofl!! look at this clown who believes in rational actors!!! :xd:

some landlords, yes, sure. there's already plenty of evidence that residential landlords are being massive pricks, so i have little doubt that there are plenty of commercial landlords doing the same. especially when at least some restaurants are doing pretty alright on takeout/delivery business (i know a local chinese place that's regularly quoting people 30-45+ minute wait times in the evenings) so i'm sure there's plenty of landlords saying "just offer takeout! what's so hard about this??"

quote:

so why are they getting hit so hard? do restaurants categorically just not keep cash in the bank? are they so levered up with debt that any disturbance brings the whole house of cards tumbling down?

i could be talking out my rear end here but it's probably a good idea to assume the average american business is levered the gently caress up

quote:

or could it be that restaurant owners, like all small business owners, are complaining to try to get a bailout because they are Pieces Of poo poo and i shouldn't listen to anything they say?

and yes, i'm sure there are restaurants who are in fact Doing Okay (comparatively) and are still lying about their state of affairs so as to try to score some cash

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I thinks it’s a super high sensitivity to demand, pretty fixed and unrecoverable costs, and just because of the failure rate lots of them are new and levered to hell to get going

Plus I’m sure owners suck money out as hard as they can because poo poo could go to hell any day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah that's basically what "thin margins" means. income only just barely exceeds expenses so there's no room left to build up cash reserves or quickly pay down debt

franchises with corporate backing should be fine so at least there's that to look forward to

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

more surprising that they ignore HK figures too.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

haveblue posted:

yeah that's basically what "thin margins" means. income only just barely exceeds expenses so there's no room left to build up cash reserves or quickly pay down debt

franchises with corporate backing should be fine so at least there's that to look forward to

so franchise wars with Taco Bell on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'll be devastated if my favorite local Italian chain goes under, I've been going there for 25 years and most of the other local poo poo is disgusting