Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's exactly where i farmed mine; I just assumed everyone was already doing this, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

And i thought it couldn't get worse than AP farming in 15

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's way better than ap farming in 15 because it doesn't take a trillion hours to unlock like one ability

Also I'm just now realizing how insanely useful stop is in this game. If you can stop while an enemy is staggered it freezes their stagger gauge too, and a lot less enemies are immune to it than you might assume. It's crazy good

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 20, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I went into the scary chapter 17 dog fight thinking "this isn't bad maybe they're talking about a different fight" then I started Aerith's healing limit break up with only two dogs left alive and both characters at half health and suddenly they both died in the blink of an eye.

Try 2 I gave in and used Barrier for the first and only time in the entire game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had zero trouble with the Chapter 17 dog fight.

I did, however, get ruined multiple times by the fight with the two Zenene enemies shortly after. Man gently caress those guys. I ended up cheesing them by putting Magnify on a lightning materia and having Tifa distract the Zenenes while Aerith spams double-Thundagas from inside an Arcane Ward.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really do wish the AI did more than sit around and basic attack once in a while.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno, if they burned ATB on their own it could easily get frustrating unless they were super smart about it or they were programmable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just finished Chapter 17 literally last night and I had to take a moment to think about a "dog fight" and whether I did one because it left so little impression on me

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

zakharov posted:

I set upgrades to auto with no regrets.

pages and pages back but LOL

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I had zero trouble with the Chapter 17 dog fight.

I did, however, get ruined multiple times by the fight with the two Zenene enemies shortly after. Man gently caress those guys. I ended up cheesing them by putting Magnify on a lightning materia and having Tifa distract the Zenenes while Aerith spams double-Thundagas from inside an Arcane Ward.

Those fights were free and I wondered why anyone had any problems.

THEN I hit the whack-a-mole boss (twice in a row) and always was on the brink of death both times. Holy poo poo those things were awful.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm 22 hours into my first playthrough and this game loving owns. Never played FF7 before and kind of confused about Cloud's hosed up headaches, but the sense of "something isn't right" and Sephiroth is a bad dude loving with things I don't understand made out through loud and clear and I feel like that's narratively what's important about them.

The weird spirits being The Ghost of Christmas Present But Scrooge Is loving Things Up was not particularly hard to determine even without being explicitly told that they're directing events along the paths that "should" happen. So far the only part about them that actually bugged me was flipping the Sector 7 Slums instagram filter from spraytan to stonewashed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Done with the VR challenges! I have to say (final fight) Pride and Joy was.... not difficult at all. Sure I overprepared for it with maxing out all my materia but Bahamut/Ifrit was infinitely harder and more hectic requiring you to pay attention and swap characters often. With P&J you can just focus on a leg and slam with lightning till he falls over then repeat.

Final time for the entire 3 Person vs Top Secrets was 21:22 and a good chunk of that was me dicking around Fat Chocobo trying to get a cactuar to spawn for the assessment.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Done with the VR challenges! I have to say (final fight) Pride and Joy was.... not difficult at all. Sure I overprepared for it with maxing out all my materia but Bahamut/Ifrit was infinitely harder and more hectic requiring you to pay attention and swap characters often. With P&J you can just focus on a leg and slam with lightning till he falls over then repeat.

Final time for the entire 3 Person vs Top Secrets was 21:22 and a good chunk of that was me dicking around Fat Chocobo trying to get a cactuar to spawn for the assessment.

The final fight in those challenges is definitely easier than the penultimate one.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

I think Nomira really really liked the end sequence of Into the Spiderverse

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Hojo’s voice actor was the MVP in a stellar cast, imo

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I really do wish the AI did more than sit around and basic attack once in a while.

i'm really really glad they don't

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I don't wish they used abilities and items more I just wish they'd not stand there for five seconds at a time then do one basic attack.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Arsenal was a real punch in the dick. I got through with liberal use of Pheonix Down. Of course some of that is on me for forgetting to check my Materia load outs and having only support poo poo slotted.

But god drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there only one Chain Bangle in the game, or can I get more?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I get annoyed by the mechanic where you get interrupted while using a consumable, so you don’t get the benefit of the consumable, but it still costs you the consumable and the ATB.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

How do I get to the VR simulator after I beat the game? Do I have to play through the whole chapter again to get to it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It hurts more when using Pray in a tough fight. You've built up 2 whole ATB bars for a much-needed party heal, only to be smacked, lose a huge amount of ATB, and a huge amount of healing that leaves your entire party vulnerable. It does start to teach you to look around and try to make sure no enemy is lunging toward you while you're in the menu.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Human Crouton posted:

How do I get to the VR simulator after I beat the game? Do I have to play through the whole chapter again to get to it?

No, you just have to start Chapter 17, go through it until the first fight with the Unknown Entities, then Chadley is in the hall right after that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Coming in to complain again: boy this Hojo lab section sure goes on for way too long huh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It has some good fights but it's overall Bad

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It was a bit long. But I had seen a treasure chest I missed, and later you're given the chance to go back to that area, and I went through the entire place like twice before I found the spot I was looking for. That added about an extra 45 minutes on.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Schwartzcough posted:

It was a bit long. But I had seen a treasure chest I missed, and later you're given the chance to go back to that area, and I went through the entire place like twice before I found the spot I was looking for. That added about an extra 45 minutes on.

Was the treasure worth it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

If I recall it was a unique armor, but one with crap defenses so I probably won't use it. Or it was one of the armors I already bought at the Shinra concession stand. So no, not really.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

It has some good fights but it's overall Bad

I probably posted this somewhere else but Red XIII's animation for pulling levers is S-Tier

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Is there a lot of plot that happens during battles like in Nier Automata? I kinda want to switch over to the Japanese track but if I'm gonna have to read while I fight, I'm gonna die!

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I got wiped by what I assumed was the last or second-to-last phase of the final boss Fate Bahamut, selected retry last battle, and surprise! I'm back at the goddamn Midgar overpass portal before all the fights with the norns.

So I said gently caress it, dropped the difficulty to easy, then said, no, gently caress it and youtubed the ending. Turns out that wasn't even the final boss!

I didn't like the ending. That is all.

lmao

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

well that's a bad post

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Hell House sucks until you get hip to the gimmick but man that was a lovely couple of minutes. Felt like I was playing dark souls and swinging my sword while standing next to a wall.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sindai posted:

I dunno, if they burned ATB on their own it could easily get frustrating unless they were super smart about it or they were programmable.

The AI was pretty excellent in 13 so they've already proved it's possible

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I hope they patch in a "detailed" weapon screen so I can see which weapon does what. It's hard to keep track of which weapon has the MP regeneration upgrades or the Concentration stuff for Tifa. Just a simple button press that doesn't require me to journey into the innerverse of the weapon every time. A plaintext menu with all the upgrades would be very handy.

I just finished this game today, and this is my biggest complaint. Give me this in Part 2 please, everything about the weapon system owned, but I need these stats easily visible in the menu.

Game fuckibg owned. Loved it, changes and all, and combat was superb. My own button mashing tendencies owned me more often than not. Can’t believe how many goons didn’t use Retry from Last Battle if they brick-walled against a boss, but to be fair I did own myself during a few story sequences/boss rush restarts where it kicked me back farther than I was expecting. Deployment of that could have been tighter. But still super useful when coming up against stuff that your current load out wasn’t made for expecting.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Airbuster is the first time the actual boss music kicks in in the original so it’s extremely fitting.

One of my favorite moments in the original and the Remake. Goddamn it’s so good and I’m glad the developers got that too

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As someone who never liked ff7 and considered it ff6 2: This Time With More Ghosts I loving loved FF7R and am completely onboard with all the changes they made. What a great game.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

As someone who never liked ff7 and considered it ff6 2: This Time With More Ghosts I loving loved FF7R and am completely onboard with all the changes they made. What a great game.

But they added even more ghosts!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They also had the chance to make cloud into the gruff but likable badass that they basically made cloud into being in every subsequent, eu, or cameo appearance considering he’s the iconic character that’s the logo of final fantasy and instead they just made him into a complete loving goofus who is always sucked into other people’s bullshit.
“I know. Nailed it. Moving on.” Might be genuinely one of my favorite and funniest lines of dialog perhaps ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tifa’s default dress is the “Mature” one, right? So if I play through that chapter and want that dress, I don’t have to do all the side quests?