Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

I desperately wish there were more good Dune books but I quit reading after book 2 because I didn't even particularly like that one.
Book 4 is my personal favorite and is a great conclusion to the series. It's worth getting through 2 and 3 for that.

Books beyond God-Emperor don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There are six and exactly six Dune books.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

There are four and exactly four Dune books.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh jeez Rabban is 59? I totally missed that.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I wouldn't mind that, but I think it's somewhat important that Feyd be at least in the same generation as Paul. He's a twisted mirror to Paul, the embodiment of why the system has to burn down; its inevitable final champion. If he's too much older I don't think that hits as hard.

Tom Holland as Feyd

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I'd wonder if he could sell the cruelty, but Holland definitely looks the part.

C-Euro posted:

Oh jeez Rabban is 59? I totally missed that.

Only mentioned in the appendix. "Canon" ages don't really matter, and Herbert made date/age mistakes even within the original novel. Rabban to me always read as generally part of the Duke's generation, similar in age to Gurney. In the Duniverse people seem to stay in their physical/mental prime until about 70, because of the spice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Books five and six are interesting disasters, which is more than I can say for anything his son wrote, but they both leak Frank Herbert's weird libertarian politics even worse than the first four and they're basically the first two entries in a trilogy that was never finished by anyone competent.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

Tom Holland as Feyd

I still prefer Bill Skarsgård, but I think this could be great as well. I think Holland could really go to town on that role.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Books five and six are interesting disasters, which is more than I can say for anything his son wrote, but they both leak Frank Herbert's weird libertarian politics even worse than the first four and they're basically the first two entries in a trilogy that was never finished by anyone competent.

I got 2 and a half books through the Legends trilogy and realized that I no longer cared where it was going so just returned Corrin to the library despite the water under the bridge.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

David D. Davidson posted:

I'm still not entirely sold on Momoa.
Dude's hot. But he needs to be "So hot women cum just by watching him scale a cliff" hot.

I'm a straight guy and TBH I might disagree with you on that point

Still no Feyd though

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 20, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Gotye as Feyd confirmed

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just started Heretics and I was going to say it's fine so far but then I remembered the bene gesserit liberals.jpg speech happened very near the beginning and who are these liberals that apparently kept owning you so thoroughly over the past 10years, that's not how leto would have referred to himself.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't think I could personally deal with Tom Holland and his babyface playing a bad guy, but it would be inspired acting if he managed to pull it off.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Denis Villeneuve is playing Sting, 100% nude.

Moreover, he insisted he direct the film in-character as Sting.

He did it in lieu of payment.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, the book talks about how Jessica was supposed to give Leto a daughter instead of Paul, who would have gone on to be wedded to Feyd to squash the Atredies - Harkonnen beef. So I always pictured Paul and Feyd to be fairly close in age, though obviously human history is full of statecraft marriages with big differences in age.

Speaking of age, there's a little part of me that thinks Bautista might be too old to play Rabban. He's got the build and I've really liked him in other movies, but while we're talking about Feyd's age I also always pictured Rabban to be not that much older than his cousin.

I was going to say I could see Bautista more as Gurney almost, but I totally missed that Rabban is much older than Feyd anyway.

Someone mentioned Cavill he'd be great just to pop in as Fenring. His Superman isn't far off, some of his strongest moments was selling being nice but holding back from pulverizing someone at the same time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I will not stop standing outside Denis's mansion chanting "Hodgman for Fenring!" Until my demands are met.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Getting Tom Holland in the underpants would be a big move.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't thought about Feyd's shorts in years.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Rando posted:

I haven't thought about Feyd's shorts in years.
What is it even like to live in your brain?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well when is the last time you thought of Feyd's shorts?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Every time someone says the words “I will” I immediately follow it by “KILL HIM” (sometimes in my head, sometimes out loud) and think of Sting in metal panties.

I assumed everyone did the same.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If Feyd wishes he can meet you with my blade in his hand.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we were talking about Feyd's shorts yesterday and then I saw a Tom Selleck meme about shorts and I did this because I have nothing useful or real in my life

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rando posted:

If Feyd wishes he can meet you with my blade in his hand.

I WISH IT

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I can appreciate the hearty lols that came out of Lynch's version and I mean no disrespect to anyone who unironically likes that movie, but I have to tell you guys, im with the folks who think that the further this strays from the 84 edition, including the costuming, the better

Gonna get kanly'd for this for sure

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I think that’s definitely true. The good stuff from the Lynch version can’t be topped and the bad stuff shouldn’t be touched.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This is probably going to seem like a weird complaint but the biggest thing I hated about Lynch's Dune was 'weirding modules' and I hope they don't go down that road again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've never seen the Lynch movie or the miniseries. I'm not sure if I want to.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’d say you should want to. Be if you don’t want to, you shouldn’t.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Maybe I'll check em out after this new movie comes out.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, there is more than enough good and awesome things about Lynch Dune that makes it worth seeing. Some of the performances, many of the visuals, the creed/chant of the human computers that Lynch wrote in as shorthand to understanding what was up with the goofy haired eyebrow dudes, all cool.

While seeing it also make note of all the poorly crafted, poorly chosen or straight-up stupid ideas that also make the film and wonder how many people involved in the production realized they were working on the same movie.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

I can appreciate the hearty lols that came out of Lynch's version and I mean no disrespect to anyone who unironically likes that movie, but I have to tell you guys, im with the folks who think that the further this strays from the 84 edition, including the costuming, the better

Gonna get kanly'd for this for sure

I unironically like that movie and I don't take any offense, but it really does raise the question of how to translate a sci fi epic first into screenplay and second into a film. The SyFy miniseries was for all purposes more loyal to the books and had more time to follow the details, but IMO was far more boring because of it. The movie for me really set a mood, hit some memorable direct quotes. and nailed alot of characterization in a very condensed amount of time.

Rag on "weirding modules" all you want, but they are an attempt at making a short-hand for something difficult to express in two hours (i.e. a long drawn out fremen insurgency). They create a mechanism that is visually dynamic that can easily explain a win in one big third-act battle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've never seen the Lynch movie or the miniseries. I'm not sure if I want to.

Neither are very good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Lynch movie is, however, extremely watchable.

The first Dune miniseries is fairly mediocre, Children of Dune has the better visuals, actors, costumes, score, and writing, but has the unfortunate problem of its plot kind of falling in between more interesting events.

Distinctly remember seeing James Macavoy in it and thinking "whoa, this guy's good."

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Hollywood reporter recently interviewed Lynch and threw a Dune question in. He's mentioned it before so this isn't really news but Dune definitely was not the way he intended.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-im-living-now-david-lynch-director-1290834 posted:

This week they released a few photos from the new big-screen adaptation of Dune by Denis Villeneuve. Have you seen them?

I have zero interest in Dune.

Why’s that?

Because it was a heartache for me. It was a failure and I didn’t have final cut. I’ve told this story a billion times. It’s not the film I wanted to make. I like certain parts of it very much — but it was a total failure for me.

His own stuff is much better anyways.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not just that he didn't have final cut, Lynch was less qualified for a major shoot like this than Lucas was when he took on Star Wars. You can see his lack of experience managing such a complex production in how the production quality varies from scene to scene. The Caladan and palace sets, costumes, practical effects are amazing. For scenes on Geidi Prime and in the second half of the movie you can actually see the production running out of money. Many of the Geidi Prime sets are just two walls and suggestive lighting.

Also the post-production is uniformly terrible, while in-camera effects are pretty good. I've mentioned it before but the film is really dark throughout for no apparent reason. The miniatures shots are cheesy and the computer effects are awful.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is probably going to seem like a weird complaint but the biggest thing I hated about Lynch's Dune was 'weirding modules' and I hope they don't go down that road again.

Same

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's not a weird (pun lol) complaint IMO. It's representative of what's wrong with the movie in general.

The big practical problem with making a 2 hour-ish Dune movie is that there' s just too much stuff in the book and too little time in the film.

So they add this extra thing, with no basis in the book, that requires its own scene to demonstrate it, and it sort of makes no sense anyway. You made your basic problem worse by adding new material, and on top of that the new material is dumb and bad and more expensive to film.

They just made their job harder for no good reason. And it's all over this movie. It has some good performances and rad visuals, but it's also both rushed and overstuffed because they kept adding extraneous stuff to a movie whose fundamental problem was always going to be "how does this poo poo even fit?"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The Weirding Modules were a very simple and easily explained power only the Atreidies and later Fremen could have compared to a martial art based around a persons control of the muscles in their body being so absolute that they could move and strike inhumanly fast

I'm not sure the 1984 version of moving like Neo in the Matrix would have come out looking especially good. It didn't even look good in 2000 in the miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Zero chance a 1984 sci-fi movie martial arts fight would have looked good without giving something like Shaw Brothers stunt people 100% creative freedom with fight choreography and months and months to train and rehearse.