Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That’s really fuckin’ cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hell yeah

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah. Every now and then I'll get complaints like "why haven't you covered [x]" or even "because you haven't done an episode about [y] you must support it" and the reality of the situation is that there's more horrible crimes being perpetuated around the globe than I could ever possibly cover and I tend to focus mostly on stuff that's already in my area of knowledge because it's easier for me to cover competently and in a timely fashion. Episodes like Modi take me twice as long to do because I just knew gently caress-all about Indian politics going into it.

Aww, I was going to suggest Velupillai Prabharakan - founder and leader of the Tamil Tigers and top early innovator in the field of suicide bombing. He's a gigantic shithead, almost everyone outside of SL and India only vaguely knows about the civil war but does vaguely know about it, and the conclusion of his personal narrative is both cathartically fitting and morally problematic.

thank you for your fantastic work

edit tbf your two btb episodes on Modi and your one btb ep on Tulsi Gabbard were extremely my jam and probably more important to the world than a Prabharakan one would be, so I'm not complaining at all if it never happens

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 16, 2020

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Tulsi was easy. That one wrote itself.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It took way longer in the Henry Morton Stanley episode to realize that it wasn’t Henry Morgan Stanley.

I’m just hearing bastards in other bastards. Bastards all the way down.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm just waiting for an episode on George Arthur. Even among the various governors during Australia's colonial past he was a level above them in cruelty and almost killed every single Indigenous Tasmanian and set up camps in the Tasman strait where anyone that survived the Black war ended up either succumbing to disease or was kidnapped and raped by whalers.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

GunFondler42069 posted:

IHeartRadio (which used to be ClearChannel if I understand correctly) bought Stuff Media a year or so ago, right before I was hired full timer. I was originally a contract employee, signed on to produce just my show, but then it became a huge hit and they gave me a salary and healthcare etc. I also get a cut of ad revenue which is currently quite lucrative, hence why I have not engaged in further crowdfunding.

There is no behind the scenes control. Believe me or not, but I've never been told by anyone at all at iHeart what I can and cannot cover. My bosses love my work and are like, unreasonably positive about everything I do. When I said, "I just got back from Syria and I wanna talk about this quasi-anarchist feminist political experiment for seven hours" they said "we'd love to produce that show" and that was the end of the discussion. As a creative professional I don't think I could ask for a more supportive working environment.

Out of curiousity (and if you're allowed to answer, of course), does iHeartRadio own the rights to any of your shows? If some time down the road you became disgruntled with iHeart, you get a better deal with another company, etc, could you take Behind the Bastards with you, or would you have to start a new show?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hi Robert. Just wanted to say I love your podcast even though I skip half the episodes for the sake of my own mental health (due to the subject matter, not the podcast itself). Keep up the good work!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I read King Leopold's Ghost, I knew who Stanley was the moment I read the episode title.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Shinji2015 posted:

Out of curiousity (and if you're allowed to answer, of course), does iHeartRadio own the rights to any of your shows? If some time down the road you became disgruntled with iHeart, you get a better deal with another company, etc, could you take Behind the Bastards with you, or would you have to start a new show?

We share ownership. Presumably I'd need to make a new show unless they ceded their share of control, but fortunately "talking about lovely people" is a concept that is impossible to copyright.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I started thinking of alternate titles and “Behind the /b/tards” popped in my head. I immediately hated myself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
if you ever want to do real loving monster. you can always do Oskar Dirlewanger, dude was so loving even the other SS were disgusted by him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Someone has to cover John A Macdonald one of these days.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If we are doing requests, I'd love to see an episode on Shoko Asahara and Aum Shinrikyo. It's mind boggling how the world has utterly forgotten what was essentially a real life version of COBRA.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 17, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

If we are doing requests, I'd love to see an episode on Shoko Asahara and Aum Shinrikyo. It's mind boggling how the world has utterly forgotten what was essentially a real life version of COBRA.

Man, the Last Podcast on the Left episodes on Aum Shinrikyo were amazing. The poo poo they did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Man, the Last Podcast on the Left episodes on Aum Shinrikyo were amazing. The poo poo they did.

I loved those episodes too but whenever Henry breaks out his "hilarious" Asian accent I feel horrendously embarrassed to be listening. To their credit they don't do that sort of thing anymore.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I loved those episodes too but whenever Henry breaks out his "hilarious" Asian accent I feel horrendously embarrassed to be listening. To their credit they don't do that sort of thing anymore.

Yeah, they occupy a weird spot for me. The fact that they were willing to say, "Yeah, that was lovely on our part, we won't do that again," puts them ahead of 95% of other comedians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, they occupy a weird spot for me. The fact that they were willing to say, "Yeah, that was lovely on our part, we won't do that again," puts them ahead of 95% of other comedians.

yeah and they have kept their word for the most part. their true crime stuff tends to be the best out their because they treat the monsters like the pathetics sacks of poo poo they are and they dont make fun of the victims. they can be gratutious but it even feels exploitive like sword and scale is.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Just chiming in to say, been enjoying the podcast, and started reading King Leopold's Ghost. I've always a real fascination with the Congo Free State. You'd think one of the greatest atrocities in human history would be more widely known. I guess in many ways it was overshadowed by several other atrocities. The end of the 19th century was a really dark time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Zeniel posted:

Just chiming in to say, been enjoying the podcast, and started reading King Leopold's Ghost. I've always a real fascination with the Congo Free State. You'd think one of the greatest atrocities in human history would be more widely known. I guess in many ways it was overshadowed by several other atrocities. The end of the 19th century was a really dark time.

I'm surprised there isn't a big budget oscar-bait Hollywood biopic about the two white guys who helped stop it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a big budget oscar-bait Hollywood biopic about the two white guys who helped stop it.

its probably because it would be too "boring". plus no real satisfying ending(things continued to be hosed an only got somewhat better in the last like decade or so) or way to make any white characters full on "good guys"(at least in the 21st century sensibilities) i could see a one shot show thing like Chernobyl though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its probably because it would be too "boring". plus no real satisfying ending(things continued to be hosed an only got somewhat better in the last like decade or so) or way to make any white characters full on "good guys"(at least in the 21st century sensibilities) i could see a one shot show thing like Chernobyl though.

That's never stopped Hollywood before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's never stopped Hollywood before.

true. like i said, it could be a great 10 part mini series. follow various characters. follow that payed off inquest that turns on leopold because of the actual evidence. make a scene that shows that chief using sticks to show the number of dead, show hypocrisy of the various European powers/etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. like i said, it could be a great 10 part mini series. follow various characters. follow that payed off inquest that turns on leopold because of the actual evidence. make a scene that shows that chief using sticks to show the number of dead, show hypocrisy of the various European powers/etc.

Hey, if they want to make it particularly relevant, also include the pedophilia monarchy ring.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Samovar posted:

Hey, if they want to make it particularly relevant, also include the pedophilia monarchy ring.

yeah, plus you can have leopold on his big boy trike or whatever.

The Commonwealth
Jun 6, 2008

I could have been someone. Well, so could anyone.
The last episode on the plight of the coal miners in WVA is particularly fascinating. Even growing up in Virginia with relatives that lived in the shadow of the coal mining labour disputes I never learned any of the details surrounding these battles.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea that was a good episode. I like that my favorite podcasts have stepped up and are talking about the labor movement and unionization. Seems appropriate given this loving pandemic.

Hey Robert, may I request an episode on Flint? Between the sit down strike, white flight, and the current water crises there is a rich history there that should be told more often.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

Hey Robert, may I request an episode on Flint? Between the sit down strike, white flight, and the current water crises there is a rich history there that should be told more often.

That reminds me that anyone interested in BtB should also check out Swindled. They are on hiatus right now but their last season finale was about Flint. Much like BtB, episodes can alternate between crushingly depressing and rather humorous thanks to the host's deadpan delivery.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 22, 2020

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Loved the episodes with Spencer. Missed him since the end of Harmon town.

I'd like to hear more about the labour movement being hosed over at every turn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Has BtB done Ghengis Khan? He literally changed the landscape of human genetics through coordinated military rape campaigns, I feel like if Robert can squeeze an episode out of the Gipper’s Astrologist he can get an episode out of that.

The Regan fortune teller lady is one of my faves too because his guests end up siding with her when she was clearly taking advantage of sad and mentally ill people (like the President and his wife) but they just are like completely Ra Ra Ra around her girl boss energy. Deeply upsetting conclusion but still good content

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The Regan fortune teller lady is one of my faves too because his guests end up siding with her when she was clearly taking advantage of sad and mentally ill people (like the President and his wife) but they just are like completely Ra Ra Ra around her girl boss energy. Deeply upsetting conclusion but still good content

I got the impression it was just as much "gently caress Reagan" as "You go girl", imho.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AceOfFlames posted:

I got the impression it was just as much "gently caress Reagan" as "You go girl", imho.

Yeah I understand this sentiment, but she still contributes to the deaths of hundreds of Americans either way. Being adjacent to a shittier person doesn’t make you less of a lovely person, and if you’re a Grifter just parasitically hanging on to become wealthy and powerful, aren’t you just as complicit at that point?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I really want to get a good in-depth episode about U-Line (massive business supply company) and the hyperconservative family that owns it, and how they bought a town, and donate shitloads of money to all the worst people in US politics. The guys from the Street Fight Radio podcast, Brett Payne and Bryan Quinby, have done a good bit of material about U-Line and that family, but it's in bits and pieces across over a dozen different episodes. They'd be great guests to bring on for that topic if you decided to do it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/us/politics/liz-dick-uihlein-republican-donors.html

Your show is so drat good, Robert, thanks for doing it!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d like an episode with some rapid fire micro bastards, the ones that truly suck but might not have enough material for a full episode.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Snowy posted:

I’d like an episode with some rapid fire micro bastards, the ones that truly suck but might not have enough material for a full episode.

Ooh, that's a good idea

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Snowy posted:

"The Ten Biggest Bastards Robert Doesn't Want To Dig To Do Research For" would be a great ep

EDIT: Also it'd be a great way to deal with listener suggestions that Robert doesn't feel like researching for various reasons if he could say "well look I'm not devoting twenty hours of my life to learning about this rear end in a top hat but enough of you wanted to hear about them so here's what I pulled together in like twenty minutes"

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Notable Bastards from the First US Civil War would be good too, the little bit about Sherman in the most recent episode made me think of this

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Turns out the bastards were the friends we made along the way :love:

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

blunt for century posted:

Notable Bastards from the First US Civil War would be good too, the little bit about Sherman in the most recent episode made me think of this

yeah, I suspect I'll have to do Sherman at some point. it's tragic, I'm a big fan of some of his work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah, I suspect I'll have to do Sherman at some point. it's tragic, I'm a big fan of some of his work

I know, right?! His attitude towards Native Americans was sickening, even for the time...

Edit: Actually, there's an idea - people you would WANT to be able to like, but they're bastards because...