Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah you're thinking of the one with Galley/Gary. There's like two or three different versions of Romance Dawn.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm assuming this is the one with the like Peace Mains and Morganas?

That’s the one, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah you're thinking of the one with Galley/Gary. There's like two or three different versions of Romance Dawn.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm assuming this is the one with the like Peace Mains and Morganas?

Yeah, that's the one. I never read the original, so I just assumed the first version of Romance Dawn was Romance Dawn. Though upon seeing this Romance Dawn, it's obvious this is the original.

Incidentally, episode/chapter 1 is also Romance Dawn. @.@

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I finished the first season of One Piece. It was good. The show really picks up when Hawk Eyes Mihawk shows up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mihawk rules yeah, your first real taste of why east blue is kind of treated as a backwater compared to the grand line

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mihawk shows how much bigger the world is which leads into super emotional Zoro stuff, then there's another fight with a weirdo, and it ends the latest in the line of exponentially more tragic backstories. Absolutely solid run of three or four episodes to round up season 1. Good stuff.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And feel free to post impressions as you go, we love that poo poo.

:yeah:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Surprising amount of self-awareness in this Japan metaphor.

Kozuki Oden must have had some phenomenal policies or something.

I'm disappointed they didn't show us how the time-time fruit worked.

Also, still super disappointed that the opening spoiled Kaido's power reveal. It's not even something that can be easily skipped since it happens right at the end of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I like the second ED a lot more than the first one

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured out how everyone survives:
Sanji used his super suit.

Kaido's breath weapon seems to have a pretty inconsistent damage output. Though, of course, in anime, flesh is infinitely more durable than rocks.

I also think it's funny that Nami's disguise is a ninja. Of course she can't walk around covertly in foreign clothing, but you'd think the authorities would be suspicious of someone dressed as an assassin walking around.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 15, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Kaido's breath weapon seems to have a pretty inconsistent damage output. Though, of course, in anime, flesh is infinitely more durable than rocks.

This is on Toei's part. In the manga you don't see how kaido specifically attacks Speed/Otama, and Luffy blocking a direct shot from Kaido is filler added to extend the scene.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

I like the second ED a lot more than the first one
this is just plain wrong :v:

speaking of first ED, does the version from episode 130 exist anywhere?

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 16, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

From what I've seen so far my head canon is that it depends on how long he spends charging it. The first shot we see him take he spends ages charging and obliterates the top of a mountain. Subsequent ones are hasty snap shots at moving targets so are less powerful.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I feel like some of the granularity between powerful people got lost post-summit war. There was more room to be flexible with strengths and weaknesses, but now haki pretty much determines who's strongest and there are these huge gulfs in differences. Both Big Mom and Kaido should be stronger than Luffy but not as invincible as they have been portrayed.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's really hard to keep watching. It's become beyond absurd. The scales are always increasing. All characters are capable of casually terraforming with their fists, but it's not interesting. I just really hope the series ends soon. It's really lost the magic it once had.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

It's really hard to keep watching. It's become beyond absurd. The scales are always increasing. All characters are capable of casually terraforming with their fists, but it's not interesting. I just really hope the series ends soon. It's really lost the magic it once had.

Sorry, Toei are foul sorcerers who shall never let it end. Your only hope is to stop watching and read the manga, which you probably should have done years ago.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The manga version of this fight was WAY more mundane and short. It was done in a couple of pages. This was another cool moment that the anime went too far with.

Gyges is right, the manga is still great.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I think OPs 1 and 5 aren't bad, but overrated, and I like 3 and 4 a lot.

2 is pretty bad though, and used for SO LONG. That being said, I still find it amusing that they couldn't wait until Alabasta ended before switching to OP3, which had some, shall we say, minor spoilers on an upcoming crew member.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/otakucalendarjp/status/1208716339143049217

:unsmith:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Freakazoid_ posted:

Both Big Mom and Kaido should be stronger than Luffy but not as invincible as they have been portrayed.
I've felt that way for years. I mean I get that these guys are Emperors and shouldn't be able to be hurt by just any random Marine soldier or bountyless pirate, but it's a bit ridiculous. It's that it's the case where essentially if you aren't at least Admiral strength or a fellow Emperor, you can't so much as put a scratch on them and it feels like a bit much. Shanks and Whitebeard got injured by the smallest of Sea Kings and regular gunfire/swords yet that never stopped them from kicking rear end and scaring the poo poo out of others.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

shanks got injured because all he was concerned about was saving luffy and whitebeard took an insane amount of damage before he finally got taken down

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I know, but they still got hurt which was the point I was making. They are/were still stupidly powerful and will make just about anyone poo poo their pants at the thought of facing them without being nigh-invincible to just about anything and anyone.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

they got hurt under very specific circumstances and bege had a whole plan about setting up specific circumstances to make big mom vulnerable, it just didn't work out

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The show usually sets up these untouchables, like CP9 (Rokushiki martial arts), the insane devil fruit powers (the light admiral, Ace's fire power, etc), and probably a few others but then shows how they can be beaten. Haki was the last trump card, but now everyone can use it.

Except with the Big Mama and Kaido, who for whatever reason they're literally now untouchable.

I thought the power ups and power creep was done well. I thought it was cool that Luffy and Sanji both learned new techniques from their enemies in Water 7 arc. But now it's a bit odd with these two people.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's mean to be the same story beat as Luffy losing to Crocodile a bunch.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also it feels kind of like Big Mom and Kaido are being treated as uniquely hard to hurt physical threats and we’re not likely to see anything harder to hurt on a pure toughness level in my opinion.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah the complaints above are all anime things. The manga does a very good job of defining power levels and presenting Big Mom as near-insurmountable force of nature, and Kaido as a terrifying beast of raw power, while keeping things interesting. The anime just shits all over all of that, by dragging things out, adding nonsensical interactions that don't fit in-universe at all, and loving up most scenes somehow.

Join the light, read the manga.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 26, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Additionally it is worth remembering that Whitebeard was basically already on his deathbed when he went to Marineford and we haven't seen Shanks get scratched since he was revealed as an Emperor. Also we know Shanks can at least stop Kaido and show up a few hours later like nothing happened.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 27, 2019

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Very minor manga spoiler: Anime-only viewers don't know the timing of Shanks being named an emperor

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I mean since he was revealed to be an emperor to the viewer/reader. From The moment he had his mini-drinking contest with Whitebeard, not a single scratch.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What about Blackbeard, then? Went from a nobody to an Emperor in two years, and he's easily the most fragile one of them all and there's a 99% chance he'll be the final boss of the series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

one piece titles aren't dbz power levels, some emperors are stronger than others depending on what their role in luffy's narrative is

this isn't complicated

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheLoneStar posted:

What about Blackbeard, then? Went from a nobody to an Emperor in two years, and he's easily the most fragile one of them all and there's a 99% chance he'll be the final boss of the series.

Don't know how fragile he is considering all the damage he's tanked. He just cries about it way more than even Usopp.

Brother Entropy posted:

one piece titles aren't dbz power levels, some emperors are stronger than others depending on what their role in luffy's narrative is

this isn't complicated

Ha, you think this is Luffy's story. There's only one character that's seen it all.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, anyone have any idea what’s going on with the anime? As far as I can tell there haven’t been any new episodes in the last two weeks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone have any idea what’s going on with the anime? As far as I can tell there haven’t been any new episodes in the last two weeks.

Yeah the One Piece anime took these last two weeks off because the timeslot clashed with a bunch of Marathon races and they didn't want to compete with them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Untold filler resulting in terrible pacing is no reason to stop the show. But a marathon? Gonna hold up on running this into the ground out of respect for ancient Greek messengers.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

hard times comin' for the anime only crowd

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

hard times comin' for the anime only crowd

Is the manga okay?
Will this help the pacing? :ohdear:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Is the manga okay?
Will this help the pacing? :ohdear:

manga should mostly be fine depending on if SJ can keep publishing.

no this will not help the pacing. at best there might not be a filler arc later

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I have now watched One Piece Stampede. It is bad.

In fact it’s kind of incredible how badly it fails on every level. It’s a bad idea that uses bad characters to tell a bland, predictable story that makes no drat sense on any level. Oh, and also it’s completely unwatchable because the editing is so tight it feels like you’re watching it in fast forward. Characters almost interrupt each other constantly and shots are cut so short your brain can’t register what just happened half the time. It’s like they had a two hour movie that the money guys decided after production wrapped needed to be 30% shorter.

Very disappointing because I really liked Film Gold recently, which actually felt like a proper OP arc and did more than just “Bad guy shows up. Luffy beats bad guy”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i thought it ruled