Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ranma is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

Jesus lighten up

Why

e: To elaborate, it feels weird to be chided by someone for just posting a little bit about how I felt, and I don't even believe it was that dismal that you had to butt in and spike the ball with that irritating bit at the end where you go, to paraphrase, "yo ranma loving sucked, idiot". You could've just not bothered to say this, I'm really annoyed and I'm not sure why you did this.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Boku girl was just so boring

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Boku girl was just so boring

Yeah...The little bit I read was pretty lame. Some ok designs in it though I guess.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I remember people in the shoujo thread acting like it was the funniest thing ever, the loud couple manga of it's time

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think I shall read Vampiress Lord once its finished scanning.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

Ranma is good.

Ranma is a lot longer than it needed to be, and I never finished it as a result (same problem with Inuyasha). I do give it credit for having a trans protagonist in the 80s, though. (Yes, I know that may not have been what the author was deliberately aiming for, but there is quite a lot of textual support for it to the point where you have to go out of your way to find a reading where Ranma isn't trans.)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, that's on my list too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ibram Gaunt posted:

:drac: :hfive: :love: :vince:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh is that scanning again? Last I had looked it had stalled out.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kwyndig posted:

Oh is that scanning again? Last I had looked it had stalled out.

It started up again with a new translator a month or two ago.

edit: also hey guess this my first post in here after lurking for awhile. I'm nonbinary.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

3. I've read so much Ranma fan fiction. SO MUCH. I probably have a highly idealised version of the characters in mind, based on what the fandom consensus is, and I don't want to ruin them by re-reading the canon version.

To be honest, fan fiction is quite often better, and more interesting than canon.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

ToxicFrog posted:

Ranma is a lot longer than it needed to be, and I never finished it as a result (same problem with Inuyasha). I do give it credit for having a trans protagonist in the 80s, though. (Yes, I know that may not have been what the author was deliberately aiming for, but there is quite a lot of textual support for it to the point where you have to go out of your way to find a reading where Ranma isn't trans.)

Yeah, that's on my list too.

S....such power

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Why

e: To elaborate, it feels weird to be chided by someone for just posting a little bit about how I felt, and I don't even believe it was that dismal that you had to butt in and spike the ball with that irritating bit at the end where you go, to paraphrase, "yo ranma loving sucked, idiot". You could've just not bothered to say this, I'm really annoyed and I'm not sure why you did this.
Im not a fan of dropping all that baggage on someone because they posted a manga they kinda like

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Inspired by Ibram reminding me that Vampiress Lord is a thing, I've been re-reading it from the start and now I'm mad about my choices in tracksuits. :mad:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Im not a fan of dropping all that baggage on someone because they posted a manga they kinda like

To be fair I'd take desperate measures to change the topic of conversation away from boku girl too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

probably right.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

boku girl was fine and was one of the series that i was reading when I decided to transition so ymmv

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister
what has everyone been enjoying lately? apart from kakeochi girl as that is your obligation

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://mangadex.org/title/47355/soulmate
I been reading this it seems alright so far but I fall off long strip stuff easily
Everything else is just updates~~

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It has been on my backlog for a while, but I finally got around to reading My Solo Exchange Diary, Nagata Kabi's autobiographical manga that's a sequel to their first work, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. It can hit hard at times, but it's also fairly relatable.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I've just finished re-reading Bakarina (which is still v. good and very one sidedly gay since Bakarina is made of depleted uranium).

I've not read much new stuff lately other then the latest chapters of the usual stuff I follow, so I might pick up one of the eternal backlog things like kakeochi girl or on a non-lgbt front kakushigoto

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I read the first two volumes of A Kiss and a White Lily and thought it was ok but not great and then got sidetracked by programming projects, not sure if I'll go back and finish it or switch to something else.

Arianya posted:

I've just finished re-reading Bakarina (which is still v. good and very one sidedly gay since Bakarina is made of depleted uranium).

Is Bakarina this? Because that's what always seems to come up in searches for it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ToxicFrog posted:

Is Bakarina this? Because that's what always seems to come up in searches for it.

Yeah it's this; the common fanname is Bakarina, and the official abbreviation that's pushed is Hamefura.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It has an anime running this season. It's very sweet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, I'm pretty sure that Katarina herself is bi. It's just that she can't wrap her brain around the idea that any of her friends could possibly be romantically interested in her.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure that Katarina herself is bi. It's just that she can't wrap her brain around the idea that any of her friends could possibly be romantically interested in her.

Yeah, she's definitely into Mary and Sophia, just too dumb to realize it's reciprocal. I mostly mentioned it being one-sided since I know some people really hate the harem/reverse harem trope of "dense protagonists", even though Bakarina does it way better then most.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Bakarina is "I accidentally a whole bisexual harem" the manga

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Re-reading Family Compo. Basically one of the low stakes, family drama/comedy manga I can stomach thanks to a good writer/art (City Hunter's Tsukasa Hojo) and cool characters/plot (Teenager moves in with his transwoman aunt and transman husband and their ???-gendered teen offspring).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Family Compo was a very formative manga for the baby trans I was when I read it (early aughts). I really enjoyed it, though it has some... Iffy stuff in it, both regarding gender and sexuality and other stuff. It holds up pretty well though, if you read it under the lens of "it was written in late '90s Japan and it's a product of its time and describes what the situation was like".

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hey fellow lgbt anime/manga/VN fans!

Arianya posted:

I've not read much new stuff lately other then the latest chapters of the usual stuff I follow, so I might pick up one of the eternal backlog things like kakeochi girl or on a non-lgbt front kakushigoto

I watched the all the anime released episodes and immediately got all the light novels I could from BookWalker. I absolutely love the series and it definitely has a lot of gay elements.

For one thing, Mary is one of the most proactive gay love interests I’ve ever seen in fiction, Sophia is trying to hook up Katharine with her brother so that she could be with her forever and Maria definitely has the hots for her. While Katrina is probably mostly straight, she’s probably a 1 or possibly a 2 on the Kinsey scale because with the way the light novel is written, she definitely finds Maria more attractive than the average female and has repeatedly stated that she’d instantly marry her if she was a guy.

It’s good poo poo.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

Hey fellow lgbt anime/manga/VN fans!

I watched the all the anime released episodes and immediately got all the light novels I could from BookWalker. I absolutely love the series and it definitely has a lot of gay elements.

For one thing, Mary is one of the most proactive gay love interests I’ve ever seen in fiction, Sophia is trying to hook up Katharine with her brother so that she could be with her forever and Maria definitely has the hots for her. While Katrina is probably mostly straight, she’s probably a 1 or possibly a 2 on the Kinsey scale because with the way the light novel is written, she definitely finds Maria more attractive than the average female and has repeatedly stated that she’d instantly marry her if she was a guy.

It’s good poo poo.

I have to say my favourite Maria moment is early on when she's just like "Yeah I learned how to dance the man's part of this dance so I can fuckin' dance the night away with you" because it's so wonderfully proactive and anti-wallflower :allears:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Arianya posted:

I have to say my favourite Maria moment is early on when she's just like "Yeah I learned how to dance the man's part of this dance so I can fuckin' dance the night away with you" because it's so wonderfully proactive and anti-wallflower :allears:

I know! It’s absolutely great! I don’t know how much of the manga/light novel people have read, but hearing her and Alan stay together even after Alan wants to call off the arrangement because he realises he loves Katarina. She states that she’d just be married off immediately to some random noble if they broke up their engagement and flatly tells him she’s not interested in him and is trying to chase a forbidden love (Katarina). Mary then convinces Alan to spy on Jerold and gets her in her alliance to prevent Jerold from making moves on Katarina.

Mary also talks about how she’s been trying to deceive Alan about his feelings for Katarina so that she could have less rivals and also keeps on going on about how hard being nobility is and how she could never fulfill the roles so that Katarina would be even more flustered about it and would hesitate to get with her fiancé.

The sheer Machiavellian schemes she comes up with try and stay with Katarina is immensely impressive and she’s one of my favourite characters because of it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

I know! It’s absolutely great! I don’t know how much of the manga/light novel people have read, but hearing her and Alan stay together even after Alan wants to call off the arrangement because he realises he loves Katarina. She states that she’d just be married off immediately to some random noble if they broke up their engagement and flatly tells him she’s not interested in him and is trying to chase a forbidden love (Katarina). Mary then convinces Alan to spy on Jerold and gets her in her alliance to prevent Jerold from making moves on Katarina.

Mary also talks about how she’s been trying to deceive Alan about his feelings for Katarina so that she could have less rivals and also keeps on going on about how hard being nobility is and how she could never fulfill the roles so that Katarina would be even more flustered about it and would hesitate to get with her fiancé.

The sheer Machiavellian schemes she comes up with try and stay with Katarina is immensely impressive and she’s one of my favourite characters because of it.

I'm up to date (I think?) on the manga but I'm guessing the LN is well ahead as normal.

But yeah I loved the "ah gently caress I've been trying to keep Alan from realizing this" facepalm from her. She's so affably evil

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the kinsey scale wtf

https://mangadex.org/title/20597/seifuku-no-vampiress-lord more vampiress lord

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

e: the main thrust of soulmate seems to be going back in time to make ur gf eat less candy so she doesnt suffer from kidney failure

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 20, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of naoko kodama's cleanest manga yet

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

wish i had a gf to hold my hair back when i get sick from being drunk

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

The Colonel posted: