Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Michaeldim posted:

Dual Sided Widescreen and Fullscreen (lol) DVDs with microscopic lettering on the spindle as the label

yeah i have the blade runner dvd too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
double-sided laserdisc to fit a film of moderate length

double-sided laserdisc players to minimize disc change interruption

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
about a year ago I watched Real Genius on videodisc at a friend’s

not laserdisc, RCA capacitative videodisc

it was, uh, something

(film still holds up insanely well, thanks Martha Coolidge & Robert Woodhead)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

double sided, double layer dvds

dvd minus r vs dvd plus r

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PCjr sidecar posted:

double sided, double layer dvds

dvd minus r vs dvd plus r

all that and dvd-ram

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
everyone forgets dvd-rw (and dvd+rw)

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Worrying if your cd that was written on one machine would read on another due to the multisession data format

the idea of multisession cd's at all

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rotor posted:

my favorite thing on the internet right now is when i go to a site and something goes wrong with the css loading and everything is just rendered as default html and it feels like 1996 again

look up archived bbc news articles and travel through cyber time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
youtube's response video feature

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

incredibly shamefully i must admit that back in the day i got in online arguments about dvd+r vs dvd-r

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

incredibly shamefully i must admit that back in the day i got in online arguments about dvd+r vs dvd-r

which one were you for

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

which one were you for

dvd-r

its more compatible! its backed by the official dvd group! something abotu booktypes idk i dont remember

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what was the opposing argument

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

dvd-r

its more compatible! its backed by the official dvd group! something abotu booktypes idk i dont remember

i remember specifically seeking out taiyo yuden-branded discs and buying them in spindles of 100. nothing but the finest shiny blank discs for my illicitly collected media!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

echinopsis posted:

what was the opposing argument

dvd+r > dvd-r for all positive values of r

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

.ogg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Soricidus posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dvd+r was the one you could set the booktype on, not dvd-r. so dvd+r was the best.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember specifically seeking out taiyo yuden-branded discs and buying them in spindles of 100. nothing but the finest shiny blank discs for my illicitly collected media!

Same

Edit: And later being annoyed they didn't make DVD-R's

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Soricidus posted:

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think dvd+r was buffer underrun proof. I think there was also some advantage to dvd+rw over dvd-rw for multi session writing that I can't remember now.

I haven't used optical media in forever, wow.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I bought a blu-ray burner for my rig when they first came out, 25GB per disk is perfect for archiving all my media

Never burned a single disc

Couldn't use it to play Blu-Ray movies without hunting down some VLC libraries that have been sued off the internet

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Got a BR drive, bought about a dozen blurays, couldn't watch them for like 5 years til I got a 40 dollar stand alone player. It was easier just to find rips than use PowerDVD or whatever the hell.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My PC still has a BR drive in it, because like 7 years ago I got the notion that I'd rip my film collection and donate the discs somewhere.

Of course I got bored at like "E" in my library and I can't even remember what format/encoding I used but it's probably bad and wrong now, and my PS4 makes a fine BR player so I still have a shelf full of discs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haha optical drive go BR

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

haha optical drive go brrrrrrRRRRRRR schwischwischwi schwi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cross posting because this is a funy tech poo poo that I just remembered, and it took a while to type

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was looking for something in my basement the other night and came across this big thicc monstrosity. Its a Toshiba T3200SX and its a "portable", really a "luggable" 386 and was my first "laptop" ever. I have great memories of playing Commander Keen on this and writing Turbo Pascal assignments with it for high school. Released in 1989 and being a 386, it was pretty ancient by the time I was in high school in the mid 90's, but actual laptops of the time were wildly expensive and way out of my reach. I can recall going to a classmate's house to work on a programming assignment and while he tapped away on his shiny new Pentium desktop, I sat on the floor (near an outlet of course) with this thing, writing terrible Pascal code and slowly roasting my lap. I loved it though, because I could just pick it up and move, which was a real game-changer during a time when actual laptops were only for business executives and smartphones were a decade or more away.

It had a whopping 80mb hard drive, if I recall, which I remember being loud as hell in the 90s and I was pretty sure it doesn't work today.

Look at all that expansion!!! More than anyone could possibly ever need (just like 640k of RAM). That plate on the back labeled EXP is for expansion, but not in the way you'd think (more on that later)

More options! A floppy drive! A PS2 port! Switchable printer ports! WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!! Also a reset button for some reason, despite the power button being easily accessible on the back and the reset button requiring something thin to poke in there :iiam:

The actual expansion slots. Currently filled with more serial and parallel ports and a USR Sportster modem. That EXP plate on the back that I mentioned a couple of posts up? When you remove that, its how you get these cards out, they sort of pop up out of the ISA slots and out through that plate. Obviously you're quite limited by the space available in all axes, but this did mean you could do things like put a dedicated graphics card or ethernet card in. Mid 90's Jim Silly-Balls had no practical use for ethernet and dutifully used the USR Sportster to get on the internet.

Let's fire it up and see what happens! Oh, dead battery, of course :smith:

I forgot to mention that this is a gas plasma display. Red/Amber/Orange only. Despite being monochrome it's sharper and has better contrast and less ghosting than comparable LCDs of the time. Anyone stuck using an LCD in the late 80's/early 90's when this was made knows how terrible they are.

A quick trip to the BIOS where you can literally only set the date and the hard drive specs, and it boots!! :woop: Mercifully it has the factory hard drive, whos values are preprogrammed into the BIOS, because there is no way in hell I could figure out sectors and platters and whatnot anymore in 2020. I used to know that stuff like the back of my hand.

Let's see what's on the hard drive. Commander Keen of course!! Loved that game back in the day. I did also see the Turbo Pascal IDE and compiler in the C:\ drive as well. This thing is literally a time capsule into my highschool computer life. As you can see the gas plasma display acts like a CRT and has a refresh rate that gets picked up by the camera

It also has Windows 3.1..........

Which immediately crapped out and required a reboot. Oh well, let's try again and hook up the RADIO SHACK SERIAL MOUSE (hell yeah) this time.

First things first, live that Hotdog Stand life.

:thunk: Hmm it appears that monochrome red gas plasma displays are immune to the powers of Hotdog Stand

Lets see what else is installed. mIRC! Unregistered, naturally. Set to connect to irc01.irc.aol.com. I completely forgot you could even connect to AOL chat rooms with a regular IRC client? Thats ~9 0 ' s I n t e r n e t S e c u r i t y~ for you

Also a thing called WinProbe? I don't remember this at all, but its apparently a monitoring program of some sort? I guess for when you're trying to squeeze every ounce of performance from your 386? :rice:

Lets see what the screensaver is. I guess I must have caught some poo poo for this machine back in the day, as the screensaver is set to marquee and it says "Hey, don't laugh, it gets on the internet!!!!". Fantastic

Aaaaaaand, I set a password on it because that's ~9 0 ' s I n t e r n e t S e c u r i t y~ for you. I have no clue what I would have used back then. Owned. Oh well.

Looking at the bottom of the machine reveals the best feature I forgot it had! THE HANDLE! Hell yeah. This thing had a cloth case, which was good because you had to tote the power cable around and a phone cable and usually an RJ11 gender changer and a bunch of bullshit to make it work like floppies and whatever back in the day, but when you had it out of the case it was nice to use the handle because man is this thing heavy.

Also it has a decidedly non-kensington lock on it that looks like it probably is just for a straight up padlock and also adult me realizes it would probably make a great bottle opener, since its steel and heavily anchored to the chassis. Teenage me did not realize this as my drinking was limited to clear alcohol that I could refill with water after I stole it from my parents.

Anyway, thanks for reliving my terrible high school computing memories with me!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That fuckin owns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cross posting because this is a funy tech poo poo that I just remembered, and it took a while to type

awesome find

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hey, regarding the DVD+/-R chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1mJv9pxm7M

i should probably throw out the few CDRs and DVDRs i've still got kicking around

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i remembered earlier that jeff bezos called his mistress his "alive girl" and the implications that brings for his past paramours

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agile Vector posted:

i remembered earlier that jeff bezos called his mistress his "alive girl" and the implications that brings for his past paramours

:stare:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Agile Vector posted:

that sounds like something nice pete would say

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Agile Vector posted:

seriously we need more details

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jeffrey p bezos is a sociopath

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

seriously we need more details

it started off as an enquirer article, which sounds sleazy and maybe fake, then jeffy b pushed back and claimed there was some extortion going on. he said he was investigating them for being a possible political leak because of trump the enq owner being buddies which adds some legitimacy to his alive girl sexts

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/15/18223914/jeff-bezos-lauren-sanchez-nude-pictures-leaker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

jeffrey p bezos is a sociopath

if i was as rich as him i’d probably walk around the city and if I saw a hot chick i’d offer her a million in cash to have some sex. is that sleazy? idk if i was as rich as him i’d have no idea about right and wrong

as a poor gently caress tho like I am I would never offer a random woman a million for sex, it’s wrong and below me

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Agile Vector posted:

raping the geek and hustling the freak... living dead girl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

if i was as rich as him i’d probably walk around the city and if I saw a hot chick i’d offer her a million in cash to have some sex. is that sleazy? idk if i was as rich as him i’d have no idea about right and wrong

as a poor gently caress tho like I am I would never offer a random woman a million for sex, it’s wrong and below me

billionaires are so frightened of the public they won’t walk around cities

someone might ask then for money or stage a kidnapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it'd be a shame for their actions to have consequences